Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Infinity Stylus Epic! I've no idea what shutter speed any of them were shot at, it's fully automatic apart from choosing a flash mode and the spot focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The Infinity Stylus Epic! I've no idea what shutter speed any of them were shot at, it's fully automatic apart from choosing a flash mode and the spot focus.

Ah sorry for being so crassly ignorant. :doh:

My guess is that your shutter speed was too low and the "softness" is actually due to the camera shaking. Try shooting with more light. The last one pic is very sharp so I don't think it's a problem with the camera.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I think you're right, some of the other test shots came out really blurry. Also I have notoriously shaky hands so that never helps...

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Got my test roll back from the ISE, pretty happy with it

Just ran through some Fuji C200 to test it out. Think I need to get to grips with the spot-focus a bit better, some of the other shots aren't as sharp as they thought they'd be (or maybe I just scanned them out of focus :ssh:)

Some of these are pretty nice. London is a fun place to have a camera.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I often wish I lived in Europe. So much to see and do. Guess I'll have to settle for lots of mountains and forests and stuff.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I live in Dublin, Ireland :)

SimonomiS
Apr 3, 2009

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Also I really don't like how this entire thread has basically turned into the "Go on ebay and buy the first ten epics you see because it's THE BESSSSSSST" but the zooms are poop so stop buying them regardless of how cheap they may be at your Goodwill and just get the non-zoom model.

I'm actually super grateful for this post, I'd been swept up in the Stylus Epic talk since I knew a local shop had two in a cabinet.

Checked them today, both zooms, both £30. Fairly battered too, think I'll pass this time around.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Friday Night Rummage Sale Elderly Crush by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Water Hazard by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Kaiser I by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

ISE and expired 1600-speed slide film.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 26, 2012

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
If we're still posting photos in this thread, here's everything I've shot with an Olympus Stylus Epic Limited Edition.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Turns out we had an ISE too in the family, mine is silver so it's somewhat girlish, but that's even more fun in the end.
Never shot anything myself with it, going to see what is it that you are all raving about.
Oh, and the roll loads from the right part of the camera! Good for multiple exposition projects..

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

atomicthumbs posted:

Friday Night Rummage Sale Elderly Crush by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Water Hazard by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Kaiser I by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

ISE and expired 1600-speed slide film.

Saw these on flickr, very nice. I thought you may have been retouching them but I see they were shot with expired film.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Does anyone else use the Ricoh GR series? They're awesome cameras, if you can find them cheap enough, I really don't know of another AF point and shoot with a 28/2.8 that can be had cheaper than the GR1 though. I got one from KEH a while ago but it had a messed up shutter button that 7/10 times wouldn't actually take a photo after locking focus and exposure. I returned that (KEH is AWESOME about returns by the way, but it worries me that they put it right back up on sale with no mention of the problem), and had japan camera hunter find me another one that was working, this actually turned out to be a GR1S:

The GR1S has an upgraded lens coating and something like a bayonet mount around it's lens that takes a hood (which came with the camera) or an adapter for filters which seems to be impossible to find. It also has an indiglo LCD:

It's a really fun camera to use, it looks like plastic but is actually made of magnesium and feels great in hand, gives you manual aperture and exposure compensation (GR1V also lets you set focus distance and ISO speed, but it's ridiculously expensive), and has a snap mode that sets focus distance at two meters. Also multi or spot AF. It's a lot of camera in a tiny package, here it is next to my AE-1P (with 28/2.8) for size comparison:

And here's the pictures I've taken with the GR series so far, I just shot a street festival with my GR1S tonight and will be developing them tomorrow.

GR1: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjCEuAsE
GR1S: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjD2PCck

d0s fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 1, 2012

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
drat, that Ricoh is sexy. I've always wanted one of those, and a Contax G series.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I've got a GR1s. The build and image quality is excellent, but I can't stand how noisy the film winding mechanism is.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

HPL posted:

I can't stand how noisy the film winding mechanism is.

Tell me about it, and it's a particular, grating kind of noise where it sounds like the motor is about to die any minute, but it's really just how it sounds. It's like a rule that all Ricohs should make horrible noises.

My digital point-n-shoot is a GRDIII, cool camera but the grinding/squealing noises the lens makes when it's retracting/withdrawing on startup and shutdown sound like something is broken. I even though it was broken until I posted a video on a Ricoh forum and other people confirmed they all sound like that, and so does the GRDIV. Aperture chatter like crazy too. I was at a flea market and bought an 80's 35/3.5 AF point and shoot (forget the model) by Ricoh for $2 and the motor made the GR1 noise only amplified ten times.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I just found this Minox 35 GT at an antique shop for $5. Did I get a good deal? Seems to meter fine and the shutter still fires!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

frogbs posted:

I just found this Minox 35 GT at an antique shop for $5. Did I get a good deal? Seems to meter fine and the shutter still fires!

Then yes! They're cute little cameras, but the electronics tend to crap out. If it works, they're pretty good for a tiny scale-focus camera. Nice find.

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.
These came from my first roll through my newly acquired Olympus Mju 1. Shot on some cheap Agfa 200 film.

Scan10014-1 by boydy88, on Flickr

Scan10013-1 by boydy88, on Flickr

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
holy poo poo.

In other news, Yashica T5 - still awesome.

Our View by iantuten, on Flickr

The Reenactors by iantuten, on Flickr

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

QPZIL posted:

holy poo poo.

In other news, Yashica T5 - still awesome.

The Reenactors by iantuten, on Flickr

Not only the pic is very nice (great colors, great exposure) but it looks like someone had a lot of fun.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

maxmars posted:

Not only the pic is very nice (great colors, great exposure) but it looks like someone had a lot of fun.

Not to derail, but it was awesome fun. My girlfriend and I decided to take a spur-of-the-moment trip down to Charleston, SC (from North Carolina) to sail as passengers on the privateer ship Lynx (a recreation of an 1812 tallship). Not only did we get to help with the sails and the sailing, AND fire cannons, but there was a random band of pirate re-enactors that decided to come along as well. Definitely hightened the experience.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

boydx posted:

These came from my first roll through my newly acquired Olympus Mju 1. Shot on some cheap Agfa 200 film.

Theoretically, the Stylus and Epics are terrible cameras because you can't manually control the aperture and the program is lame (wide open until the shutter maxes out). In reality, the lens is so awesome even wide open that it just doesn't matter.

Nice pictures! QPZIL's are nice as well - go somewhere interesting?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 19, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Paul MaudDib posted:

Read my post :argh:

Went to South Carolina to ride on an 1812 tall ship and camp out in the woods by a lake.

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Theoretically, the Stylus and Epics are terrible cameras because you can't manually control the aperture and the program is lame (wide open until the shutter maxes out). In reality, the lens is so awesome even wide open that it just doesn't matter.

Yeah agreed. I'm surprised how well they turned out, I hardly touched them in post. Definitely taking this camera out more!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Some new stuff I shot with my Olympus Stylus Epic on Fuji C200, love this camera

F1000019 by juliancallan, on Flickr

F1000023 (2) by juliancallan, on Flickr

F1000021 (2) by juliancallan, on

F1000018 by juliancallan, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

The last shots from my Stylus Epic (last because the lens got hosed up after a fall, now all the photos are out of focus)

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

Santa is strapped posted:

The last shots from my Stylus Epic (last because the lens got hosed up after a fall, now all the photos are out of focus)

The skyline looks great in this one.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The last shots from my Stylus Epic

RIP ISE

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I shed a tear :(

boydx posted:

The skyline looks great in this one.

Thanks! Even though it's soft I still like it

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Some more mju:ii (stylus epic) action, expired Portra souped at home:

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Where are you all buying your film now? Local, or online?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Local for me. I'd buy online if I lived in the states, from B&H or Adorama or the like.

Spedman posted:

These are super clean - colours and sharpness- nice job!

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Awkward Davies posted:

Where are you all buying your film now? Local, or online?

Online. No contest.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

maxmars posted:

Online. No contest.

Ebay? Amazon?

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Awkward Davies posted:

Ebay? Amazon?

Eh no. I use fotomatica.it for chemicals + bw Foma film + superia color film and macodirect.de for cheapissimo C200 color film, sharing shipping costs with friends (we have a photo collective that is also useful for this).

I mean, € 2.75 for 72 shots.. :D

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

These are super clean - colours and sharpness- nice job!

Thanks, I always forget how much work is required to get 35mm just right with scanning and colour correcting.

Try freestyle and the film photography podcast online stores, and I'm a big fan of macodirect.de too for chemicals. And buying Foma film directly from them is great value too. But if I remember Awkward, you're in NY? Just go to B&H and Adorama.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Spedman posted:

These look gorgeous--I may have to pony up the money for a Stylus Epic soon. These surprisingly don't have that bad of a color cast. A bunch of my expired Portra has an awful cyan cast that is really annoying to correct for in post.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

These did have a blue cast, and it wasn't from the development either. I don't think I'll bother with expired Portra again, a bit of extra cash for the fresh stuff is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Also I really don't like how this entire thread has basically turned into the "Go on ebay and buy the first ten epics you see because it's THE BESSSSSSST" but the zooms are poop so stop buying them regardless of how cheap they may be at your Goodwill and just get the non-zoom model.
Can someone give me more info on the zooms' poopiness?

• Locked thread