Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Well, the tank nerds did kinda save the team, even though it was on accident. :v: I also laughed entirely too much at the GODDAMNIT PORSCHE! :argh: moment. The best part is how one of the mechanics pops out of the commanders hatch, yells "Oh crap, not again!" and asks for a fire extinguisher.

And that is definitely Kelly's Heroes they're watching.

Magni fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Arbite posted:

Was that movie they were watching an adaptation of Kelly's Heroes? It looked like a scene from that.
They animated the scene one to one basically. http://youtu.be/T1eFePf6mWM
I have no idea why there were crying at the scene though.

Also, Akiyama calling herself Sergeant Oddball is a reference to the movie as well.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 19, 2012

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Zettace posted:

They animated the scene one to one basically. http://youtu.be/T1eFePf6mWM
I have no idea why there were crying at the scene though.

Also, Akiyama calling herself Sergeant Oddball is a reference to the movie as well.

My guess is that they care more about the tanks than the characters and plot, so the tiger getting blown up makes them upset.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Namtab posted:

The german subs improve the show dramatically

I pause the video for each in a string of "SUGOI"s and "HAI"s etc. that get translated in different German phrases, asking my wife to translate each iteration. It's a great way to pass and amplify the spirit of the trolling.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Another great detail this episode was the ikebana flower arrangement; the use of colours and shape was pretty drat evocative of a tank exploding from an ammorack detonation.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think the only time I ever get annoyed is when it becomes difficult to actually figure out what is being said. Like with the Guderian quote this episode, something along the lines of strike swiftly and win or something?

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pyronic posted:

My guess is that they care more about the tanks than the characters and plot, so the tiger getting blown up makes them upset.

Considering that Kelly's Heroes was basically THE WW2 movie pre-Saving Private Ryan that is anywhere close to :spergin: technically accurate probably makes it nigh-Shakespearean in this world.

Zassiliss
May 31, 2011

the cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea

Arbite posted:

Huh. According to :tvtropes: there's been a bunch of references to the movie all along.

Oh, come on. Yukari's nickname when she infiltrated the Saunders school wasn't obvious enough for you?

Also:

Hana...:btroll:

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think the only time I ever get annoyed is when it becomes difficult to actually figure out what is being said. Like with the Guderian quote this episode, something along the lines of strike swiftly and win or something?

What? You mean the one about the engine being just as much a weapon as the gun? How did commie gently caress that up?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

"Nicht kleckern, klotzen" can best be translated along the lines of "Don't poke, punch!" IE, if you attack, do it with everything you can bring and don't hold back or dilute your strenght.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Magni posted:

"Nicht kleckern, klotzen" can best be translated along the lines of "Don't poke, punch!" IE, if you attack, do it with everything you can bring and don't hold back or dilute your strenght.

Right, but how are the rest of us non-German speakers supposed to know!?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

You go a bit back, switch to the NoFunAllowed track, say "ah, ok, now my Anime experience is complete", and then go back to the ubermensch subs.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Right, but how are the rest of us non-German speakers supposed to know!?

You're not supposed to know. Hell even German speakers don't even know, considering the Commie subber, Magni, my wife, and Wikipedia all have different translations and interpretations of the quote.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

It's really hilarious how many pun based food traditions there are in Japan. Hehehe, tonkatsu/katsudon sounds like winning (katsu). If I eat it, I'll surely win!

Wasn't there another food you eat right before an exam?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Kit-Kats

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Ah yes. :) It's kinda crazy, but also kinda fun.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

Zassiliss posted:

Oh, come on. Yukari's nickname when she infiltrated the Saunders school wasn't obvious enough for you?

Also:

Hana...:btroll:

I think I've seen this show like 5 times before! What the heck! Except without the tank part, that's the only different part.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Pyronic posted:

I thought the tank got its barrel stuck and couldn't traverse further, a fate the M3 team should know perfectly well.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Oh man, that's even worse.

(kitto katsu = surefire victory, for those who don't get it)

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Holy poo poo, really? I need to buy a pack of KitKats before I visit Japan.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Xythar posted:

Oh man, that's even worse.

(kitto katsu = surefire victory, for those who don't get it)

That's really not the best translation, zettai shouri is more of a surefire victory, kitto katsu is a lot softer and fitting the style of the show.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Truculent Twisty posted:

That's really not the best translation, zettai shouri is more of a surefire victory, kitto katsu is a lot softer and fitting the style of the show.

Wouldn't that be absolute victory?

On a more on-topic note, I wonder how many clever references there are that we're not going to get until a guide book is released?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Truculent Twisty posted:

There are no Kit-Kats in the show, I'm talking in general.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Artificer posted:

Holy poo poo, really? I need to buy a pack of KitKats before I visit Japan.

Buy them when you're there. Japan has literally hundreds of exclusive Kit Kat flavors, ranging from the bizarre (soy sauce, grilled corn, camembert, lemon vinegar) to the delicious (bitter strawberry, ginger ale, green tea, salted watermelon).

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Arbite posted:

Wouldn't that be absolute victory?

On a more on-topic note, I wonder how many clever references there are that we're not going to get until a guide book is released?

You're thinking of kanzen shouri, but everything has to be translated in the context in where it is spoken/written/etc so it could be anything. It's close enough.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Francis posted:

Buy them when you're there. Japan has literally hundreds of exclusive Kit Kat flavors, ranging from the bizarre (soy sauce, grilled corn, camembert, lemon vinegar) to the delicious (bitter strawberry, ginger ale, green tea, salted watermelon).

That's weird as hell and I love it. I'd buy the hell out of green tea kit kats. :(

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Artificer posted:

That's weird as hell and I love it. I'd buy the hell out of green tea kit kats. :(

Go on a site called J-list, they sell them.
Anyway, is this the series now basically done until March? Hope that they do actually get a second season, though I do wonder what they'll do plot wise for it since they are second years they won't be moving off to college or whatever else they might do. I suppose it depends how fast time is going by, the tournament might be only a couple of weeks long and it seemed to kick off early in the school year.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
They'll fire up another recap episode on Christmas and then it's done until March. IIRC, they're planning on 6 bonus OVAs, a few of which they'll release until then and the OST is coming this year.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
6 OVAs? Hopefully they won't be as bad as the one for Upotte was, in fact, they could be giving all the teams a spotlight episode. If that happens the Historical team should be fun.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 20, 2012

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Will Crunchyroll be streaming episodes 11 and 12?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Anime_Otaku posted:

6 OVAs? Hopefully they won't be as bad as the one for Upotte was, in fact, they could be giving all the teams a spotlight episode. If that happens the Historical team should be fun.

It's afaik all but confirmed that at least one will be the skipped battle against the italian school.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

The OVAs are all half-length episodes, so it's about three episodes' worth of additional material in addition to the two that will air in March.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

Anime_Otaku posted:

moving off to college

Girls und Panzer Season 3: the college (cold war) years

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
But what cobbled-together tanks would Team Protagonist use? M60A2 Starship? M551 Sheridan? That crazy german tank destroyer prototype with twin 120mm guns?

Magni fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 20, 2012

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Before this is over I better god damned well see a T-35. I don't care if its a two second shot of it broken down in a field, I wanna see that wacky tank.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Lord Koth posted:

We'll have to wait a few months, but I'm genuinely curious if and how Oorai will pull a win. Black Forest is running multiple vehicles which honestly could likely solo the entire Oorai team with a tiny bit of luck. All three Tigers significantly outrange everything except the Tiger(P) Oorai has, and the Tiger II and Jagdtiger have significantly better armor to boot. There is literally nothing Oorai has that can penetrate the frontal armor of the Jagdtiger and, assuming it actually has an experienced crew, could easily be used as an anvil. It doesn't help that several Oorai tanks-the Type 89, the Char, and the Lee-are effectively only useful as possible scouts and 'ablative' armor for the more useful ones. We'll just have to wait and see.

Most of Black Forest's entire force breaks down/runs out of fuel in transit to the staging area. The rest are redirected to fight Russians.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 20, 2012

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Flower arrangement must be surprisingly strenuous.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

OneStopShop posted:

Girls und Panzer Season 3: the college (cold war) years

Betting the colleges are gigantic flying fortresses or airships or something.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Artificer posted:

Flower arrangement must be surprisingly strenuous.

Holy crap the girl eats a lot... I think its kinda sad that I only just got the point of the post only just now. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zassiliss
May 31, 2011

the cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Don't feel too bad, I'm fairly certain that it wasn't mentioned once overtly on the show itself. Just another one of those things that you notice while re-watching (and desperately waiting for March to come).

• Locked thread