Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
aw yes

This means I've only gotta get a couple more PT records and I will be entirely satisfied with my collection and I can finally start keeping my money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

david puddy posted:

This means I've only gotta get a couple more PT records and I will be entirely satisfied with my collection and I can finally start keeping my money
Haha, let's be honest, you'll find another way to spend it on records ;)

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Harry Privates posted:

I'm in the same boat as you, but a friend bought it and I was looking at it last night. Really nice packaging like a hardcover book with the 2 Lps inside each cover and pages about the album between them.

I'm pretty sure it has bonus songs including 5 on the second disc.

That's worth the price alone.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

het posted:

Haha, let's be honest, you'll find another way to spend it on records ;)
Yeah inception 2 is right around the corner.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Pathard posted:

If any of you enjoy The Black Dahlia Murder, they've just released two vinyl records.

Nocturnal in blue.

Ritual in green (glow in the dark - 250 limited).

These look awesome, where are they available from? Also Neurosis have put up Honor Found In Decay for preorder on vinyl at http://www.bluecollardistro.com/product_info.php?products_id=7616

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

This doesn't really look like the record I was promised but it is ok I guess

I am not really enjoying the music all that much.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

david puddy posted:

It probably just means you're a bad person.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, that album is really good and I am not even a huge fan of Jack White or the White Stripes.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

david puddy posted:

that's what happens when you buy a Jack White Collector's Item

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

david puddy posted:

I'm with you, I thought Blunderbuss was really... weak.

My roommate's boyfriend bought me a copy of Mobb Deep's Infamous for Christmas. He's awesome.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

No shipping notice...just sitting on my porch this morning. A christmas miracle :unsmith:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

alg posted:

No shipping notice...just sitting on my porch this morning. A christmas miracle :unsmith:

Glad you finally got it. The whole album has top-notch packaging.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

david puddy posted:

Why did you even buy this in the first place then? Just put it on ebay and make triple your money back or whatever.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bliggers- posted:

Why did you even buy this in the first place then? Just put it on ebay and make triple your money back or whatever.

Seriously- I'm so glad I never got into the whole Third Man collecting deal. And I really like Jack White. Everything I've seen about that scene and the people who move money in it just strikes me as toxic.

For a guy who openly bitches about how people resell Third Man releases at outrageous markups and rails against the "collector scum" side of the vinyl scene in general, White does a really good job of fomenting that behavior in people.

Take the balloon debacle from a few months ago: Releasing a bunch of flexis with exclusive tracks via balloon seems like a neat gimmick- but he doesn't really have the right to get angry when a tangle of them wind up in some dude's yard and he makes a bundle selling them off at four figures on eBay. What did he think was gonna happen?

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
I have no problem with what Jack White does with Third Man. He seems to want to just have fun with the format. It's just people who take it way too seriously. I don't have any limited Third Man vinyl and am fine with that.

Every single release he puts out is available in unlimited black which is kept in print. So if all you want is the music then nothing is stopping you.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Bliggers- posted:

Because I had only heard good things about the album and I like coloured vinyl?
e: Also I am not going to try and flip it because that is exactly what happens in the Porcupine Tree fanbase and I hate people who do it wth a passion

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 21, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dflanny posted:

I have no problem with what Jack White does with Third Man. He seems to want to just have fun with the format. It's just people who take it way too seriously. I don't have any limited Third Man vinyl and am fine with that.

Every single release he puts out is available in unlimited black which is kept in print. So if all you want is the music then nothing is stopping you.

This is what I always say. Let those other dicks waste all their money paying three digits for an album I can walk into a store and buy for 15-20 bucks. If all the material was only made available though these whacky gimmick releases it would be lame.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
Just received my Philip Glass - Reworks LP and the second record is warped. :(
I don't think its bad enough to warrant returning and it doesn't seem to affect the sound, but its pretty visibly noticeable.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

While we're talking about Third Man Records, has anyone heard Black Lips Live at Thirdman and is it good?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

david puddy posted:

e: Also I am not going to try and flip it because that is exactly what happens in the Porcupine Tree fanbase and I hate people who do it wth a passion
Honestly, the buyer's interests would be served by having as many people who own the album and don't like/want it put their copies up for sale. Holding onto a limited edition you don't like because you think speculation/flipping is wrong just reduces supply and drives up the price.

I can understand judging people who specifically engage in speculation, buying for the sole purpose of reselling at a higher price. But I honestly don't see anything wrong with making a purchase, deciding you're not satisfied with it, and selling it. I mean, you can price it at what you paid + shipping if it makes you feel better, though I wouldn't be surprised if the speculators you don't like have searches set up to buy up underpriced copies.

Ultimately I don't think there's any nobility in hoarding albums you don't like, it just keeps them from people who do like them.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

david puddy posted:

Because I had only heard good things about the album and I like coloured vinyl?

There's nothing wrong with selling a record you don't particularly want. It's not like you bought it intending to flip it. People who buy records for no other reason than to flip them are the worst.

Edit: looks like het just said basically the same thing

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
The only Third Man releases I ever flip are the parts of the vault packages I don't want. Otherwise I love the label due to things never going out of print. That should be a rule.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

eggsovereasy posted:

While we're talking about Third Man Records, has anyone heard Black Lips Live at Thirdman and is it good?
Yeah I bought it a few weeks ago. Good sound quality and setlist. Worth it for the music, but if you're into packaging and aesthetics it's a pretty lame release. Just comes in a sleeve, no artwork (are all live at third man records like this?). When I bought it it was $15, I don't regret buying it, but the price seems steep for a rather barebones release.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
All the Live releases are like that minus the vault ones and the Jerry Lee one.

Nobunny is my favorite live at Third Man album, I love it so much.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

het posted:

Ultimately I don't think there's any nobility in hoarding albums you don't like, it just keeps them from people who do like them.
I didn't say I won't sell it (I probably will), I just won't be one of those guys that sets a buy it now price at $250 or whatever.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Yeah I bought it a few weeks ago. Good sound quality and setlist. Worth it for the music, but if you're into packaging and aesthetics it's a pretty lame release. Just comes in a sleeve, no artwork (are all live at third man records like this?). When I bought it it was $15, I don't regret buying it, but the price seems steep for a rather barebones release.

I live in Nashville so the local stores carry the TMR stuff and the store I like has it for $13. I really like their Good Bad Not Evil album so thought I might try it.

You're right though, the packing is really boring.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jeff Wiiver posted:

I think part of the reason they do this is so they can release them quicker (although sometimes that's not the case). At any rate I think their live series and awesome and as far as I know it's a thing no one else does. I know people like to trash Third Man, but honestly for everything bad you can say about them, there's plenty else that's good.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I think part of the reason they do this is so they can release them quicker (although sometimes that's not the case). At any rate I think their live series and awesome and as far as I know it's a thing no one else does. I know people like to trash Third Man, but honestly for everything bad you can say about them, there's plenty else that's good.
Oh don't get me wrong, I love what Jack is doing with Third Man. I personally don't give a poo poo about the packaging really, but I know some people are very finicky about that sort of stuff. The concept of recording concerts live to tape is really cool. I got to see Black Lips open for the Raconteurs a while back and they put on a really fun show (even though they cleaned their act up for that show, and didn't do their normal shenanigans on stage like kissing each other and whipping their dicks out) that's pretty faithfully represented in this LP.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, I love what Jack is doing with Third Man. I personally don't give a poo poo about the packaging really, but I know some people are very finicky about that sort of stuff. The concept of recording concerts live to tape is really cool. I got to see Black Lips open for the Raconteurs a while back and they put on a really fun show (even though they cleaned their act up for that show, and didn't do their normal shenanigans on stage like kissing each other and whipping their dicks out) that's pretty faithfully represented in this LP.

I saw the Raconteurs on that tour and I was being too cool for school so I didn't bother watching the Black Lips. I heard some of their stuff since then and I regret it. I think I can get behind any band where the dudes make out with each other and expose themselves.

edit: By the way, didn't you say you're from the Boston area? If you are then we were at the same show (which was a really good one). That's a great venue.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I saw the Raconteurs on that tour and I was being too cool for school so I didn't bother watching the Black Lips. I heard some of their stuff since then and I regret it. I think I can get behind any band where the dudes make out with each other and expose themselves.

edit: By the way, didn't you say you're from the Boston area? If you are then we were at the same show (which was a really good one). That's a great venue.
Rhode Island, but yeah I was at the Bank of America Pavilion show and it was a pretty good show. I also just saw his solo show at Agganis Arena, and I was bummed that we got there too late to have time to scope out the merch. I would've loved to look like a weirdo at a concert by carrying around multiple vinyl.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Rhode Island, but yeah I was at the Bank of America Pavilion show and it was a pretty good show. I also just saw his solo show at Agganis Arena, and I was bummed that we got there too late to have time to scope out the merch. I would've loved to look like a weirdo at a concert by carrying around multiple vinyl.

I was there too. I picked up the tour edition singles and it was a total pain in the rear end holding onto them the whole show (I was on the GA floor directly in front of the stage).

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

CPL593H posted:

I was there too. I picked up the tour edition singles and it was a total pain in the rear end holding onto them the whole show (I was on the GA floor directly in front of the stage).

If I know I'll be buying tour singles (Stereolab concerts) or albums I'll bring a bag to check and stuff them in there.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Seems to be quite a few RI/MA vinyl goons here :3:

So I got my Pioneer PL-112D in the mail yesterday and it wasn't properly packaged like I feared. The platter flew out but luckily the dust cover didn't crack and the tonearm is in good shape. The only casualty is the needle, which ended up getting bent out of shape and eventually broke when I tried to bend it back. Can anyone recommend a decent stylus for $30-$50? I know there's a bunch of great replacements in the $70+ range but I can't go that high just yet considering I paid $26 for the TT.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

eggsovereasy posted:

I live in Nashville so the local stores carry the TMR stuff and the store I like has it for $13.

You do mean the Third Man Records retail store at the headquarters location, right? Why would you buy TMR products from anywhere else?

I would absolutely love to go to Third Man and empty my bank account. Maybe they will send that truck to Canada sometime.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

shmee posted:

One of my favourite albums ever, and I think the one of theirs which would benefit most from being on vinyl. I would buy it in a heartbeat for 'Music for Twin Peaks' alone.

Quoting myself as just placed an order for the reissue of this.

kranky.net posted:

PRE-ORDERS! we are making the following items available for pre-order, starting with the reissue of Stars of the Lid's first kranky release on the 2LP format. krank015 The Ballasted Orchestra has been unavailable on vinyl for about a decade now, and it has been newly remastered and artwork updated. this has a release date of 01.07.13 and we start shipping orders on the 2nd of january.

Since I moved abroad I had been able to resist getting a new player, but I couldn't resist this and now am just waiting for my preamp so I am all set up again. Then it's onto liaising with family members to bring it all my collection over from England.

No regrets.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Neat picture that popped up in my feed.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I figure I should just leave this here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_he6xslT7Ls&NR=1&feature=endscreen

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I'm so glad I have great in-laws that actually want to give me stuff that I want.

Divine Fits - A Thing Called Divine Fits
Jaga Jazzist - One Armed Bandit
Yamantaka/Sonic Titan

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
It's a 3d printed record! Granted, the fidelity is the equivalent of an 11kbps mp3, but it still represents at least part of the future of the vinyl format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anaau7lh9iU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Yes, Santa is getting surprisingly accurate.

He found a spare headshell and matching stylus pressure gauge for a 50 year old turntable.

Bioshock soundtrack is great too!