Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Aubergine Mage posted:

I don't think Kobashi becoming a battle tank was roid-related like Steiner's was, but I could be wrong.

He certainly got thick, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Aubergine Mage posted:

I don't think Kobashi becoming a battle tank was roid-related like Steiner's was, but I could be wrong.

Not trying to imply that it was roids or anything. He was never sculpted to the insane degree of guys like Steiner or Davey Boy or (insert Wellness Policy violator). He just packed on a ton of bulk and adjusted his style accordingly, arguably for the better.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Diets and routines tend to be different in Japan (at least traditionally) so it was rare for the Puro guys to look "ripped" when they juiced. It usually just helped them bulk up and put on muscle. Masahiro Chono tends to be known as one of the more famous Puro we know who have juiced (Scott Hall gets the credit for introducing it to Chono, who in turn introduced it to other Japanese wrestlers). I wouldn't be surprised if Kobashi juiced but even if he did, I don't think steroids in wrestling matters anywhere near as much as a question like, "How many painkillers did Kobashi have to take to survive 1998 All Japan?"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Really, you could just expand that to "How did any human being survive late 90s AJPW?"

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

kobashi used steroids, much like an extremely high majority of puro wrestlers. really foolish to think he was clean his whole career, especially with the different culture over there.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

even the mma guys juice over there.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I'm pretty sure guys don't use *as much* steroids as the worst offenders in the US, which is why there have been fewer deaths and why there are fewer freakishly large bodybuilder-types. With the time off between tours and less travel time between shows, they can work out more and build their bodies naturally. Well, more naturally.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Price Check posted:

I'm by no means an expert but one thing that always shocks me is how drastic an evolution Kobashi went through. I know watching matches 10-15 years apart will always result in seeing different things, but it has to be one of the biggest shifts that a guy has ever taken (skinny young lion to absolute battle ship).
You don't even need to make that huge a jump. Just watch him getting beaten up by Abdullah the Butcher in 1990 and pretty much any random match of his 4-5 years later back-to-back. It's nuts.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

If someone told me there was actually 2 Kenta Kobashis and they just swapped them out around 92-93, I'd have a hard time providing evidence that it's not true.

He just goes from "Normal-sized human being" to "built like a two-car garage" overnight.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
Kobashi should retire and start doing fan meet and greets, only instead of signing stuff, he chops people.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
He seems to do that already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nFiEQmprz8

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Didn't Inoki get fans to line up to let him slap them in the face?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I think the story is some fan got Inoki to slap him and then claimed it would bring him nothing but luck, then everyone wanted to get slapped by Inoki.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

HulkaMatt posted:

I think the story is some fan got Inoki to slap him and then claimed it would bring him nothing but luck, then everyone wanted to get slapped by Inoki.

I thought they treated getting beat up by Inoki was a sign of his respect?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Origin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWVNOgPE5nw

Inoki has so much fighting spirit (he nearly legit crippled Ali!) that he can 'transfer' it to people through his slap.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lw8_AKZW6I

the best vid

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
If someone wants to watch a comp that isn't an IVP freebie, here's 3 1/2 hours of Sasuke at his batshit insanest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KobxeiU8vBY

quote:

1. 30.04.2006 - Great Sasuke vs Shu Sato - Chain Match

2. 17.12.2006 - Great Sasuke & Taro Nohashi vs Shu & Kei Sato - Hardcore Cage Match

3. 13.07.2008 - Great Sasuke, SATO & Shiryu vs Fujita, Shu & Kei Sato - Street Fight

4. 21.12.2008 - Great Sasuke & Survival Tobita vs Shu Sato & Kei Sato - Great Space War

5. 16.12.2009 - Jushin Liger & Great Sasuke vs Shu & Kei Sato - GSW Ladder Street Fight

6. 07.11.2011 - Great Sasuke & Kesen Numajiro vs Shu & Kei Sato - Barbed Wire Board Match

7. 11.12.2011 - Great Sasuke & Atsushi Onita vs Shu Sato & Kei Sato - No-rope Barbed Wire Match

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I think my favorite Sasuke gimmick match was the Weapons Battle Royale with Sanshiro Takagi in DDT where their wives were one of the weapons and Sasuke put a giant barrel over his head and attempted a Senton on top of a cabinet.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Oh god I remember that. Or rather, I remember being in tears laughing at it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I saw a Sasuke match on the U-Spirits show and he's finally starting to look old and slow. That didn't stop him from doing two of the dumbest bumps I've outside of a deathmatch.

1. Rolled down the aisle stairs during a crowd brawl. From the top all the way to the bottom.

2. Did a top rope senton and landed flush on the ring apron.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Sasuke can't be killed with mortal weapons. Him and Mutoh are gonna have a Highlander-esque duel.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

I would totally get in that line.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Hell yeah, I'd take a slap from the Jawsome One.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Satos are the brothers with the pirate twin gimmick, right?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The Satos are the brothers with the pirate twin gimmick, right?
I'm not sure I remember them as pirates, but they're the gross brothers who have tried to rape people with pig heads and create the messiest, grossest matches ever.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
You might have already heard about it, but Akiyama, Shiozaki, Kanemaru and Aoki have officially decided to leave NOAH. Last matches will be on 23rd and 24th of this month. Taue has stated, that they're welcome to participate in NOAH as freelancers.

Considering the situation NOAH has been in, this might be just one more nail on the coffin. Akiyama seems to be the biggest loss here, being one of the bigger names in the promotion. Shiozaki is a bit of a loss, but I don't think he'll do well in other promotions due to his age and relative blandness. Aoki and Kanemaru might be indie darlings in the future, we'll have to see.

Asteroid Alert fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 21, 2012

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

Flameingblack posted:

I'm not sure I remember them as pirates, but they're the gross brothers who have tried to rape people with pig heads and create the messiest, grossest matches ever.

That'd be the Brahman Brothers. Whipping out meat everywhere.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Scary, seems like they cloned Matt Hardy in Japan.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Jake Soo posted:

Shiozaki is a bit of a loss, but I don't think he'll do well in other promotions due to his age
Possible blandness aside (I disagree), how is being a 30-year old heavyweight in Japan right now a bad thing?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Illinois Smith posted:

Possible blandness aside (I disagree), how is being a 30-year old heavyweight in Japan right now a bad thing?

Oversaturation. Go isn't the only 30-year old in Japan and due to not being in his native promotion anymore, I doubt he'll get any other spots than the occasional "special attraction freelancer". Always push the own guys, then the freelancers.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

merry prismas from me to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruvlM_RZ5QA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_04dEzq8eI

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Jun Kasai as a kid.

He's like a walking PSA for deathmatches.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

VogeGandire posted:

Jun Kasai as a kid.

He's like a walking PSA for deathmatches.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Jun is genuinely just an odd-looking guy.

And one of the best hardcore wrestlers of all time. I'm amazed how he manages to actually combine amazing ring psychology with that much violence. Plus he occasionally busts out crazy technical stuff, just 'cuz.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 28, 2012

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Still my favorite Jun Kasai match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F24xmypSfCw

45ShadesOfDeath
Sep 7, 2004
Worst goon in the universe.

One of these things is not like the others.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I just want to hug Miyako, she's so tiny :3:

And god-drat, I want that Crazy Monkey shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

45ShadesOfDeath posted:

One of these things is not like the others.

I know, Numazawa's so out of place.