Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SpecialAgentCooper posted:

Alright, that's good to know. Thanks. Should I go for the Mushkin Atlas or something else?

128GB Atlas is $99 and the 256GB M4 is $160 if you want to roll the dice on that one, both are on Slickdeals right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I didn't jump at Black Friday, and today's probably the last day to order an SSD and get it before Christmas. Haven't seen any killer deals in the last two weeks :(

oogs
Dec 6, 2011
Welp. I bought a 250GB Samsung 840 before reading this. I mean, they can't gently caress things up after having such a successful model immediately before this one, right? right? ...

"Samsung 840-series drives use new low-endurance TLC NAND and should be avoided until reliability is proven and firmware has matured."

I'll let you know when this fails hilariously.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
You'll probably be okay, they claim to have fixed the firmware issues killing drives, and there should be enough NAND on the 250GB version to at least make it 5 years at normal desktop workloads if Samsung's endurance estimates are accurate and we don't have a lot of drives failing before they exhaust their flash endurance. It's not quite like OCZ drives that are absolute poo poo and you need to find a way to get rid of if you accidentally bought one.

Vermouth
Sep 16, 2004
OCZ Vertex2 owner experiencing failure as we speak. The computer no longer reports the details of the drive in BIOS, just "Sandforce", the computer does something then next screen shows up with "Please install an operating system, press any key to continue."

I swapped the cables to make sure it wasn't a weird mobo thing on that connector. Exact same result. As I have no time to continue loving with it, I just ordered the Intel 330 240gb from ncix for $154, free shipping, no tax. seemed like a good deal, perhaps slightly lower over the past couple weeks, but I'll take it.

Should have read this thread before jumping on board. I got to the inital ocz deal at the last minute, and they ended up screwing me out of the rebate anyway (great). I won't be buying another OCZ product again.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Vermouth posted:

OCZ Vertex2 owner experiencing failure as we speak. The computer no longer reports the details of the drive in BIOS, just "Sandforce", the computer does something then next screen shows up with "Please install an operating system, press any key to continue."

I swapped the cables to make sure it wasn't a weird mobo thing on that connector. Exact same result. As I have no time to continue loving with it, I just ordered the Intel 330 240gb from ncix for $154, free shipping, no tax. seemed like a good deal, perhaps slightly lower over the past couple weeks, but I'll take it.

Should have read this thread before jumping on board. I got to the inital ocz deal at the last minute, and they ended up screwing me out of the rebate anyway (great). I won't be buying another OCZ product again.

You're not alone, after my second Agility drive ate itself (the first was unrecoverable and had to be RMAd), I'm done with OCZ. I'm amazed anyone still buys their products or sticks up for them, although I still see folks on every ocz sale on slickdeals talk about how new firmware has magically fixed them using bad parts somehow. I hope they're being paid and not just forcefully ignorant.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Corsair Neutron & Neutron GTX - all capacities tested, over at AnandTech
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6428/corsair-neutron-neutron-gtx-all-capacities-tested

Yeah, it uses the Link A Media controller, but the performance is great, and very consistent it seems. The problem is basically we have no idea of long term reliability.
That said, Corsair tosses a 5 year warranty into the ring with these, so I'm inclined to believe these aren't actually a bad idea. (Because everyone backs up anyway, right!)

Vermouth posted:

RMA it anyway, and use the replacement for something unimportant, like a scratch drive for downloads etc, or toss it into a laptop.

Similar thing happened to me, Vertex2 120GB failed after about a year, built an entirely new system (not even kidding: the lot) to weed out the problem, and the Vertex2 still caused my system to exhibit the same problems (basically horrible corruption, I once sat there for 30 minutes while chkdsk tried to repair what seemed like all the system files, even on a clean windows install); even after updating the firmware, secure erasing, etc. I got the RMA'd drive and threw it in one of my laptops, but just like you, I bought an Intel drive to go in my main system instead (320 120GB at that time).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 20, 2012

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Only problem with Corsair is they're based out of California for RMAs. It'll take a while (and cost you respectable amounts of money if you're international) unless you pester them for an advanced RMA via a support request.
I'd really prefer it if it was an option you could pay for up-front during the approval/filing process.

Plus I was unlucky enough to have had probably four or five Force-series Corsair SSDs (one 60, several 120s) die on me over the last couple of years. Even the refurbished items died on two occasions so far.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So Ivy Bridge has two native SATA3 controllers on the die, which are spec'd for 3.0GB/s. The internet says that an i7 will peak at around 17GB/s for memory bandwidth. So if I wanted to do a RAID 0 striped "array" of two 120GB drives, I wouldn't be taxing the CPU I/O to any significant degree (max theoretical burstable off the drives would only be 6.0GB/s, about 33% of the memory bandwidth).

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the concept of dumping 120GB to system memory in 20 seconds.... on consumer grade hardware. The old core 2 duo struggled to do 7GB/s it seems. Presumably at that point the limiting factor on your boot time would be how long the BIOS splash screen lasts for.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Hadlock posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the concept of dumping 120GB to system memory in 20 seconds.... on consumer grade hardware. The old core 2 duo struggled to do 7GB/s it seems. Presumably at that point the limiting factor on your boot time would be how long the BIOS splash screen lasts for.
While it is fast (I've got a 2x120GB setup myself), it's not much faster than a single SSD, really. By shear volume, there's actually not all that much that needs to get loaded up on boot--the slow down comes from it being all in tiny pieces all over the loving place. A single SSD chops out almost all of that, and what you're left with is BIOS/device initialization and whatever other non-disk-loading processing that goes on (like Steam immediately logging in and checking for updates).

Honestly, I'd only go RAID 0 if you, like me, are just too lazy to bother dealing with two separate drive letters--the minor speed increase you're likely to see in actual usage probably isn't worth the higher risk of failure.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Hadlock posted:

So Ivy Bridge has two native SATA3 controllers on the die, which are spec'd for 3.0GB/s. The internet says that an i7 will peak at around 17GB/s for memory bandwidth. So if I wanted to do a RAID 0 striped "array" of two 120GB drives, I wouldn't be taxing the CPU I/O to any significant degree (max theoretical burstable off the drives would only be 6.0GB/s, about 33% of the memory bandwidth).

Well, the 7-series PCH has the SATA3 controllers, Ivy Bridge is the CPU. The SATA3 PHYs will support 6Gb/s, but your PCH<->CPU interface is DMI @ 5GT/s, probably x4 width. Very similar to a PCIe link, similar electricals but different data/protocol layer.

Your data path would be Flash -> Flash/SATA Controller -> PCH -> DMI -> CPU Memory Controller -> DRAM. Software-wise, you could set up a DMA request likely to not bother the CPU, but you'll eat a little bit of RAID overhead I think, I don't recall off-hand what consumer PCH SKUs can do in HW with regard to RAID calculations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Looks like mSATA SSDs with an internal raid-0 like setup is coming.

The one in the article is a 2x128GB unit, and apperantly the smaller 128GB version is also 2x64GB.

Nice speeds though.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Hadlock posted:

So Ivy Bridge has two native SATA3 controllers on the die, which are spec'd for 3.0GB/s.

If SATA3 is 6 Gb/s, and SATA2 is 3 Gb/s, where is this 3 GB/s number coming from?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Xenomorph posted:

If SATA3 is 6 Gb/s, and SATA2 is 3 Gb/s, where is this 3 GB/s number coming from?

No idea.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 21, 2012

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Squibbles posted:

I got one of the 480gb Sandisk Extremes a few months ago and for the most part it's been great. It came with the R201 firmware. Your post reminded me to check if there was an update and sure enough there's R211 out. I updated late last week though and over the weekend got a scary message from windows saying I had to reboot to repair damaged files :o:

I also had a few times where after rebooting the computer would give an error saying boot device could not be found, though rebooting again has worked to get it going so far.

I updated the motherboard bios and reinstalled the intel storage drivers and so far haven't seen any more errors. I also noticed my motherboard as ACPI 2.0 disabled by default so I turned that on. Hopefully that fixes things permanently :ohdear:

Motherboard is ASUS p7p55d-e lx

Computer crashed again last night and the event log shows a shitload of errors on my SATA port. I'm not at home right now so I can't post the exact error message but it was pretty brief. When I looked at my computer this morning it was just sitting at the boot device not found error. After hitting ctr+alt+del it booted up fine.

Crystal Disk Info doesn't show any problems with any of my drives. At least, they're all listed as "Good"

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Xenomorph posted:

It was late-ish and probably a typo of some sort, no big deal.

Squibbles posted:

Computer crashed again last night and the event log shows a shitload of errors on my SATA port. I'm not at home right now so I can't post the exact error message but it was pretty brief. When I looked at my computer this morning it was just sitting at the boot device not found error. After hitting ctr+alt+del it booted up fine.

Crystal Disk Info doesn't show any problems with any of my drives. At least, they're all listed as "Good"

Ehh, make sure your data is backed up. Sounds like that firmware updated might have introduced some bugs.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I dunno, I'm on R211 on my SanDisk Extreme, and I've had precisely zero issues with it. Granted, I've got a 240 GB model, so maybe it's specific to the 480?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Schpyder posted:

I dunno, I'm on R211 on my SanDisk Extreme, and I've had precisely zero issues with it. Granted, I've got a 240 GB model, so maybe it's specific to the 480?

Who knows, maybe it's a motherboard or some kind of setting/compatibility issue? I have seen absolutely zero complaints about this kind of problem on their official forums.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I was supposed to buy a Samsung 830, but then someone gave me an OCZ Agility 3 for free. Is it okay to use or should I just sell it to someone else?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Call Now posted:

I was supposed to buy a Samsung 830, but then someone gave me an OCZ Agility 3 for free. Is it okay to use or should I just sell it to someone else?

I think we should stop responding to dumb posts like this one.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Call Now posted:

I was going to buy a gold coin but someone gave me a cow pie for free.

canvasbagfight
Aug 20, 2005
renovating. please excuse our mess.

Call Now posted:

Did you ask why they were giving it away for free?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I'm sorry :( I just wanted to know if it's really that bad. I'll sell it away then.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Yeah, it's not a "it's not quite as good" thing, it's a "there is literally a >10% chance it will fail and you will lose everything on it" thing.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
If you got the thing for free then give it a shot I guess, just make sure you have backups.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Call Now posted:

I'm sorry :( I just wanted to know if it's really that bad. I'll sell it away then.

Don't feel so downtrodden. Yes, the Agility is far worse than the Samsung 830, but I wouldn't say no to more SSDs even if they were poo poo - but I would use them for say, Steam games that are easy to reinstall if the drive fails or a laptop that doesn't have any precious data on.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The Agility drives are pretty bad as OCZ drives go, though. They're not to Petrol/Octane levels where every single drive will fail in short order, but they're also not one of the models I'd chance it with if Ebaying the drive is an option.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I'm getting a Mac Mini in the near future for audio recording and production. Do I stand to gain anything from an SSD? I'd be employing lots of VST via Ableton, which I think are far more dependent on memory and CPU than the drive. I'm sure it'd be a nice and speed booting up and all, but if it doesn't help audio recording or production, then it seems like a waste of money.

Oh, drat. I just realized my 3.5" SATA drives wouldn't work. drat. So if I stuck to the stock build, I'd be using a 5400rpm drive, which is terrible. I guess I might as well go to SSD then...

Just thought I'd ask before planning the system in honest.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 23, 2012

noskill
Dec 6, 2012

OMCK

Abel Wingnut posted:

I'm sure it'd be a nice and speed booting up and all, but if it doesn't help audio recording or production, then it seems like a waste of money.

SSD is never a waste of money, unless you buy really bad one (which you shouldn't, of course). I jumped on SSD bandwagon all the way back in 2008 with Intel X25 and that was hands down single best decision I've ever done in my computing history. None of other upgrades came close to speed of everything you get back (well maybe besides proper mechanical keyboard but that's another subject). I've had one machine briefly somewhere around 2011 that had 7200 RPM HDD as main disk and it was driving me nuts using it.

I know that saying "system feels much more snappier" is really unscientific way of doing things. But let me put it this way: even if you use SSD drive in a computer that is used for light web browsing/email you get used to responsiveness so much that you'll ask yourself "how did I not use this before?" every time you're forced to use HDD-based computer.

The main and most important trick though is to get a good quality SSD that actually performs.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

noskill posted:

SSD is never a waste of money, unless you buy really bad one (which you shouldn't, of course). I jumped on SSD bandwagon all the way back in 2008 with Intel X25 and that was hands down single best decision I've ever done in my computing history. None of other upgrades came close to speed of everything you get back (well maybe besides proper mechanical keyboard but that's another subject). I've had one machine briefly somewhere around 2011 that had 7200 RPM HDD as main disk and it was driving me nuts using it.

I know that saying "system feels much more snappier" is really unscientific way of doing things. But let me put it this way: even if you use SSD drive in a computer that is used for light web browsing/email you get used to responsiveness so much that you'll ask yourself "how did I not use this before?" every time you're forced to use HDD-based computer.

The main and most important trick though is to get a good quality SSD that actually performs.

Oh, I know. I have a MacBook Air and I completely love the speed of the SSD. But I'm trying to build my new Mini on somewhat of a budget. Figured I'd ask and see if it was truly necessary. But given the Mini comes with a 5400rpm drive, I really have no choice but to get an SSD. Now to review this thread and pick one...

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Well I think my 9 month old Sandisk Ultra 240 failed. I was playing Diablo for like 6 hours while downloading all my steam games to the drive when my system crashed. I had just reformatted the drive in an effort to purge Windows 8 totally and reinstalled 7 this morning.

When I boot up I see the SSD fine but when I try to do anything to it Windows times out. I can see it in the Bios but I can't even get Windows to detect it long enough for Crystal disk info to see it.

I abused the poo poo out of the drive, constantly installing/uninstalling/moving games between it and my other drives. RIP

Thankfully I got a 256 Samsung 830 a few weeks ago to hold me over until this one gets replaced.

Fallows fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 24, 2012

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I am having a few dramas with my Corsair Force 3 SSD.

It's the 64GB version and I received a S.M.A.R.T alert on my Intel Rapid Storage Technology app yesterday. I asked my brother what I should do and he said update the firmware. First of all, does the thread agree this is the best step?

I have downloaded the firmware update tool and firmware update in this thread - http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107769. When I run the update tool it doesn't detect any drives. The Intel Rapid Storage app detects the drive as a Corsair Force 3 drive, and says that the firmware is version 1.3. Is it possible that the app is reporting incorrectly?

The drive seems to be functioning correctly. I have the occasionaly problem where it will fail to detect but I believe that is a connection issue with one of the cables. Could a connection issue cause a S.M.A.R.T alert?

The latest firmware update is 5.03 so it being version 1.3 seems to indicate to me that it needs an update. There is no important data on the drive (it is just a windows install basically) so if it just ups and dies on me I am not too concerned. Is there a way to force a firmware update without using that updating tool?

Cheers for any help!

edit: AHCI is enabled.

noskill
Dec 6, 2012

OMCK

Abel Wingnut posted:

Figured I'd ask and see if it was truly necessary. But given the Mini comes with a 5400rpm drive, I really have no choice but to get an SSD. Now to review this thread and pick one...

With 5400 RPM drive, I'm afraid you don't have much of a choice, really. It's just going to be too slow.

You might want to read about Fusion drive available from Apple. I personally don't have one so I cannot recommend or not recommend it but it's another option to consider if you want both space and speed. Read up some reviews on how it actually works and if you don't like it, depending on your budget/skills you should either get aftermarket SSD or Apple SSD.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
edit: Nevermind. Since reliability is the main concern, we decided to skip the mSATA+HDD setup and just get an Intel 520 SSD. :)

BeanBandit fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 24, 2012

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Crucial M4 trip report, 6 months:
Yesterday after another day of working perfectly fine the PC needed an unusually long time to shutdown (2+ min instead of 3sec ) so I did the 4sec-hold manual shutdown. Well today I try to boot up and see that he hangs during the bios boot and that the M4 isn't detected. I googled a bit, did a 2x30min power cycle in another PC and it works again. Updated the firmware from 10G(which has worked perfectly since it came out [3months ago?]) to 40H. All seems fine now but I so did not need that today.

Lazareth
Dec 28, 2004
haha, i'm not an '05, take that!
I jumped on the Samsung 840 (250gb), despite possible reliability issues.

Very snappy drive, no problems updating firmware on a drive with OS already installed. Hopefully this thing doesn't crap out in a few months, but it has a warranty and I don't have any data that I would mind losing.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Sereri posted:

Crucial M4 trip report, 6 months:
Yesterday after another day of working perfectly fine the PC needed an unusually long time to shutdown (2+ min instead of 3sec ) so I did the 4sec-hold manual shutdown. Well today I try to boot up and see that he hangs during the bios boot and that the M4 isn't detected. I googled a bit, did a 2x30min power cycle in another PC and it works again. Updated the firmware from 10G(which has worked perfectly since it came out [3months ago?]) to 40H. All seems fine now but I so did not need that today.

FYI fellow M4 bro:

quote:

Update 12/24/2012: Firmware update 040H does not appear to have improved the situation, 000F is still the recommended version.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514246

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Yeah, turns out I forgot a certain usb stick in the front port that for some weird reason doesn't play nice with the M4 when it's in the port at boot. Though the reaction hadn't been this intense yet and usually goes away as soon as the stick is removed it lasted a bit longer this time. I probably didn't need to update the firmware but for the time being I thing I'll let it be and flash back to 000F if it acts up again.

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.
It's amazing that in such a short period of time, the Crucial M4 went from the bandwagon go-to value / reliability darling to an apparently bug-ridden mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

diehlr posted:

It's amazing that in such a short period of time, the Crucial M4 went from the bandwagon go-to value / reliability darling to an apparently bug-ridden mess.

I know! It really makes me wonder about other SSD's being recommended right now :(

Outside of this particular firmware mess, my M4 isn't going to be a total piece of poo poo as long as it's on good firmware...right? :ohdear:

• Locked thread