Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Booga
Sep 23, 2007
Huh?
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9637

Here's a Test Post, please give me criticism.

That video is horrible, even with Starcrafts age it doesn't look that bad. How and what are you encoding/recording it with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord Booga posted:

That video is horrible, even with Starcrafts age it doesn't look that bad. How and what are you encoding/recording it with?

I used Camtasia's Default settings, StarCraft can only run at 640x480 so I'm not sure really what I have to do to improve it. (I'm using Camtasia Studio 8)

Also, thank you for the criticism. This is my first LP and I really want to do well and give this game the treatment it deserves.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Turtlicious posted:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9637

Here's a Test Post, please give me criticism.

If you're going to copy and paste from Wikipedia at least have the decency to remove the footnotes so it isn't glaringly obvious. Better yet, don't copy and paste from Wikipedia. Write your own, more concise stuff about it. We can visit Wikipedia if we want to read what it has to say.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

The_PC_Snob posted:

Here's the latest version. I'm still using the old youtube links, but that's because I'm still arms deep in the gamefiles plucking the audio and video files. I've finally managed to get the intro done (although for some reason the sound doesn't work on the WMP and the video doesn't show on other players, only working as intended on the VLC Media).

The New and Improved Supreme Commander... Let's Play
Update 1

I'm still trimming some of the caps and I'm working on the videos. Not to mention I'm working on a good font for the OP title. Overall I just want to know if the newest version is presentable.

The only advice I have for you is to trim out the part where you apologize for your last attempt at this. I don't think anybody here cares what you did there nearly as much as what you're doing, and what you're doing seems pretty decent.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sentrygun posted:

If you're going to copy and paste from Wikipedia at least have the decency to remove the footnotes so it isn't glaringly obvious. Better yet, don't copy and paste from Wikipedia. Write your own, more concise stuff about it. We can visit Wikipedia if we want to read what it has to say.

Mmkay, I wasn't really sure what should go in an OP. I'll change this.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVV

I'll definitely re-write the OP, to be honest I kind of knew I was half assing it at the time. How is the content of the video? Does anyone know how to record 640x480 Resolution and not have it look like poo poo?

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 22, 2012

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Turtlicious posted:

Mmkay, I wasn't really sure what should go in an OP. I'll change this.

You go on to say you've grown up with and spent a ton of time with Starcraft. I would assume you have enough to say to describe the game in general. Just talk a bit about the game.

Especially with something as well-known as Starcraft, you don't have to write out some ridiculous overarching history of development and chances are nobody wants to read about it unless it's especially interesting and worth pointing out, like some crazy development where the game was juggled over five studios and it really shows.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The_PC_Snob posted:

Here's the latest version. I'm still using the old youtube links, but that's because I'm still arms deep in the gamefiles plucking the audio and video files. I've finally managed to get the intro done (although for some reason the sound doesn't work on the WMP and the video doesn't show on other players, only working as intended on the VLC Media).

The New and Improved Supreme Commander... Let's Play
Update 1

I'm still trimming some of the caps and I'm working on the videos. Not to mention I'm working on a good font for the OP title. Overall I just want to know if the newest version is presentable.

I love that you included the intro video in screenshot form. Sometimes when I'm on my phone I'll check out an LP and for whatever reason my phone gets mad when I try to load videos sometimes.

Are the Serahim the name of the aliens or the martyrs? That isn't made clear in your descriptions. Were humans all converted to this religion or did the aliens survive and now there's small cells spreading the religion everywhere?

I like the details you're including about the music (and the fact that music is there in the first place). Nice little addition of flavor.

In general I think this is another good improvement on your last post. I'd proofread everything one more time and add pictures to the OP. Also if you have any graphic design background or currently possess Photoshop/GIMP I'd recommend making some custom headers and titles for your LP. They really add to the overall presentation values.

copy posted:

The only advice I have for you is to trim out the part where you apologize for your last attempt at this. I don't think anybody here cares what you did there nearly as much as what you're doing, and what you're doing seems pretty decent.

I agree with this too. Don't remind us that your first attempt was not so good. You're improving a lot on that first attempt and the fact you're making a really good effort to improve says more than "Sorry my first try sucked, here's another one" in your OP.

Turtlicious posted:

Starcraft LP

Your OP is very weak and based on your admission here it's a Wikipedia copy-paste I'd definitely recommend a re-write. You've already said you're gonna do that though so I'm not gonna dwell on that.

As for your video,

You're moving the screen around really fast. I know that's kind of how Starcraft works but even for someone who's pretty familiar with the series it's a bit jarring. Is there a way to slow down scroll speed? I haven't played Starcraft 1 in almost 6 years so I'm not sure if there's a scroll speed option.

You never really say what you're doing. Most of the beginning of the update is just your marines walking around. I know they're probably looking for Zerg to kill but you don't mention that until almost a minute or so after they're done.

A lot of your quick jumps are also jarring. Just as I finally got what was going on in the tutorial mission you said "okay we're done" and moved back to the briefing screen for the next mission. I'm not even sure you should bother including the tutorial mission. It doesn't really add too much to things. Again, in the second mission I'd say you need to talk more about what you're doing. I appreciate the backstory with Raynor and Tychus but I generally have no idea what's going on during the actual gameplay. At the end you say you're going to skip to the end. Watching marines get built isn't that exciting so maybe you could include your lore bits at that point?

If you're doing live commentary I'd recommend switching to post-commentary. It might help alleviate some of these issues.

Sound quality is good. Your voice comes through nice and clear and you're very easy to understand.

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 22, 2012

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

axeil posted:

If you're doing live commentary I'd recommend switching to post-commentary.

Is post pretty much universally preferred to live? My video is post but I've seen live done well with great reaction shots and I was considering it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

axeil posted:

As for your video,

+ Slow Down Scroll Speed

+ State Goal BEFORE doing it

+ Less Jarring ends and beginnings. Cut Tutorial

+ Save Lore for boring bits.

Just so we're clear, these are the things that would make it better? I'm doing post commentary, and I don't think I was really aware of how fast my screen was moving at the time so I can definitely slow that down. Even scrolling to where I'm going instead of using hotkeys.

As for making the endings less Jarring, how would I go about that? Instead of skipping straight to the end, skip to like 30 seconds before the end chat a bit as whatever the objective is runs out? I feel like the later missions when it's not just "build X of Y" and it's actual missions it'll be a lot less choppy. Would fading instead of rough cuts help?

That was post commentary by the way, but I'm definitely going to clean it up a bunch more, I'll have a new post tomorrow after I internalize this and see if I can get the game to record at 800x600 in a window. (Natively it only goes to 640x480 so I can't do much with that. I'm almost wanting to run it on something besides youtube to keep the video as pure as possible. My output looked much cleaner before youtube shat the whole thing up.)

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 22, 2012

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

razorrozar posted:

Is post pretty much universally preferred to live? My video is post but I've seen live done well with great reaction shots and I was considering it.

No it's not, at least for me. I do everything live because if I do commentary in post, I sound bored and emotions can't really get through. It does mean I may have to re-record things, multiple times even. Post is easier, live is more rewarding when done correctly.

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.
Personally, I'd like to keep my disclaimer about my failure. As I said, I owe my mistakes. The last thing I'd want is the thread being hijacked by people who remember my first attempt saying I'm ignoring my crime, because I'd feel I'd be doing precisely that.

On another matter, I was looking for some images and I'm just curious on what's the forum instance on MLP. Because I stumbled upon the most improbable cross-over... and it looks weirdly awesome.

deadly mawk
Sep 7, 2010

There is no official stance on it, but whenever it gets brought up in a thread it usually leads to a stack of terrible derails. I'd steer clear.

And the disclaimer really isn't necessary. Run with your present work and don't worry about people importing old news from the Sandcastle -- there's owning your mistakes, and then there's bringing them up when no one really cares.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The_PC_Snob posted:

Personally, I'd like to keep my disclaimer about my failure. As I said, I owe my mistakes. The last thing I'd want is the thread being hijacked by people who remember my first attempt saying I'm ignoring my crime, because I'd feel I'd be doing precisely that.

On another matter, I was looking for some images and I'm just curious on what's the forum instance on MLP. Because I stumbled upon the most improbable cross-over... and it looks weirdly awesome.

Epee Em posted MLP fanart in one of his Battle Network LPs, so it's probably okay. Then again, that was a while ago. I'd at least disclaim it and probably link instead of embedding.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

The_PC_Snob posted:

You seem to have a weird and entirely misplaced sense of internet honor. Nobody will do this and chances are they'll be punished for doing something dumb and derailing the thread if they do. Seriously, just don't mention it.

They will, however, relentlessly mock you for posting MLP stuff. Don't do that.

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.
EDIT: taken out, was just an idea. (I mean, look how fast it derailed this thread)

About the Seraphim and the Aeon, I'll expand a bit on them to make things clearer. But keep in mind I don't want to expand too much outside what the intro gives you, and both the Seraphim and the Aeon have a bit of mystery to them I'll leave to be answered during the Aeon campaign.

The_PC_Snob fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 22, 2012

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Just so we're clear, these are the things that would make it better? I'm doing post commentary, and I don't think I was really aware of how fast my screen was moving at the time so I can definitely slow that down. Even scrolling to where I'm going instead of using hotkeys.

As for making the endings less Jarring, how would I go about that? Instead of skipping straight to the end, skip to like 30 seconds before the end chat a bit as whatever the objective is runs out? I feel like the later missions when it's not just "build X of Y" and it's actual missions it'll be a lot less choppy. Would fading instead of rough cuts help?

That was post commentary by the way, but I'm definitely going to clean it up a bunch more, I'll have a new post tomorrow after I internalize this and see if I can get the game to record at 800x600 in a window. (Natively it only goes to 640x480 so I can't do much with that. I'm almost wanting to run it on something besides youtube to keep the video as pure as possible. My output looked much cleaner before youtube shat the whole thing up.)

Yep those are my recommendations. As for making things less jarring, I'd recommend saying what we missed when you skip the video ahead. Something like "okay and we're back. Zerg sent a bunch of mutalisks to try and destroy my command center. Silly Zerg. I'm now in the process of destroying a hatchery." You're probably right that later missions that aren't build x of y things will flow a little better.

I don't wanna suggest something that would cripple your gameplay so if you try doing it without hotkeys and slower scrolling and it mucks everything up, consider the gameplay before you consider my jumpiness critique. A jumpy LP of Starcraft is better than one where you get your rear end kicked by the AI because you can't hotkey back to your Command Center.

What format are you recording in? I know youtube can do weird things if you submit at a non 16:9 or 4:3 resolution. Now that I know you're doing post, I'd suggest before you start commentary to think of in your head what order things happened in and sort of plot out where you'd like to carry your narrative.

For example, when I do my SSLPs I look over all the screenshots before I start writing, then I write the update, then I read the update and do a whole bunch of editing and proofreading. It's not so easy to go back and look over your stuff before upload on a video LP but I think just a quick 5 minutes or so to review your recorded footage might improve commentary a lot since you'll know what's coming up and when it's coming.

The_PC_Snob posted:

This is a bad idea. Do not put in MLP drawings or whatever you've found. It will be a disaster and could be bad enough to totally derail your thread. As for owning your mistakes, all you need to do to own your past failure is admit it sucked if anyone brings it up. Bringing it up unprompted isn't necessary and will just remind people "Oh yeah this guy made an LP that sucked." And may cause them to not reading your new one.

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 22, 2012

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

The_PC_Snob posted:

Nope, don't do this. All that will happen is it will derail your thread terribly, and people will bitch.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

The_PC_Snob posted:

It is just some pics. Like this one:

I want to quote this for shame so you can't edit it out, but I don't want this trash appearing in my posts.

Don't do this.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

axeil posted:

What format are you recording in?

4:3 640x480 EXACTLY, but I just did a very quick test post of 16:9 854x480 with my own bars punched in instead of Youtube's. I've seen a few LP's do this to get around the quality drop that youtube does.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
No, really, I wasn't joking. Don't post MLP anything. There's a reason it's been banned from the forums. It will only cause the worst poo poo in every direction.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Turtlicious posted:

4:3 640x480 EXACTLY, but I just did a very quick test post of 16:9 854x480 with my own bars punched in instead of Youtube's. I've seen a few LP's do this to get around the quality drop that youtube does.

Avisynth makes it easy enough to add in a few extra pixels of space to make it 16x9, so this is definitely the way to go.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Turtlicious posted:

The Youtube quality drop actually comes from having less than 720 pixel vertical, the horizontal resolution shouldn't matter.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sentrygun posted:

No, really, I wasn't joking. Don't post MLP anything. There's a reason it's been banned from the forums. It will only cause the worst poo poo in every direction.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I want to quote this for shame so you can't edit it out, but I don't want this trash appearing in my posts.

Don't do this.

I really like that what you say is immediately validated within 5 minutes

Lilli posted:

Avisynth makes it easy enough to add in a few extra pixels of space to make it 16x9, so this is definitely the way to go.

Ok, re-upped video to test the quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0EDI7Aa4F0&hd=1

Here is how it looks now.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The Youtube quality drop actually comes from having less than 720 pixel vertical, the horizontal resolution shouldn't matter.

Great now I'm wondering if it ACTUALLY looks better or if I'm being affected by a confirmation bias.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 22, 2012

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Note that Tindeck is very finnicky and breaks all the time. I got myself a "Premium Subscription" after I clicked the Feedback link on the left and told the guy that the site was broken. The Premium account supposedly lets me upload M4A and WAV and similar files and have them transcode automatically. In my experience, this doesn't work: the site will accept them, but the site won't play them, you have to download them.

I've never had that much of an issue with Tindeck but as an alternative there's always SoundCloud

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

I really like that what you say is immediately validated within 5 minutes

Ok, re-upped video to test the quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0EDI7Aa4F0&hd=1

Here is how it looks now.

Great now I'm wondering if it ACTUALLY looks better or if I'm being affected by a confirmation bias.

Version 2 looks a lot cleaner to my eyes.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

razorrozar posted:

It's more that it takes skill (and sometimes luck) to pull off live, and you've only got one shot at it, whereas with post you can refine for however long it takes with scripts and segments until it sounds good. The best is naturally to do a live take, then edit harshly and fix up with post, but only some people are up for that amount of work.

E: This is speaking generally, of course. Different things can skew different ways, like blind runs leaning toward live over post.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 22, 2012

The_PC_Snob
Nov 22, 2012

Mario? Never
heard of him.
One final version before I sort out the videos and posting this LP for good.

Changes include an OP title image, more bling to the OP page, a few more corrections, hosting of Arnold's lines, the UEF logo indicating UEF missions and a complete re-write explaining the Aeon in a manner that's hopefully more concise.

The New and Improved Supreme Commander... SSLP

Update 1

Give me a head's up if any screenshot sizes are still iffy.

The_PC_Snob fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 22, 2012

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The_PC_Snob posted:

Changes include an OP title image, more bling to the OP page, a few more corrections, hosting of Arnold's lines, the UEF logo indicating UEF missions and a complete re-write explaining the Aeon in a manner that's hopefully more concise.

Update 1

Looks good to me! Start it up!

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

The_PC_Snob posted:

Update 1

Second SSNEoman, stop looks good, start OP.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~
Just want to note that the images look exactly as they appear in-game. The Washed out, pixelated look is just how it appears on the GBA. Enjoy?

My Name is Harry Mason, and this is my Literation

Silent Hill is a pretty great game(and series) by Keiichiro Toyama & the rest of Team Silent. Branded as a Psychological horror game, it deviates from Resident Evil's survival horror style in being less about surviving by combat means, and more surviving by not falling victim to the disturbing, subtle horror created by fear of ones own psyche. Well we won't be playing that, instead we will be learning the horrors of...

SPOOOKY TESTPOST

copy
Jul 26, 2007

The_PC_Snob posted:

Update 1

I like the brief history of PC strategy games you have in there. Start it up bro!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zackcat posted:

Just want to note that the images look exactly as they appear in-game. The Washed out, pixelated look is just how it appears on the GBA. Enjoy?

Silent Hill is a pretty great game(and series) by Keiichiro Toyama & the rest of Team Silent. Branded as a Psychological horror game, it deviates from Resident Evil's survival horror style in being less about surviving by combat means, and more surviving by not falling victim to the disturbing, subtle horror created by fear of ones own psyche. Well we won't be playing that, instead we will be learning the horrors of...

SPOOOKY TESTPOST

Since you're translating right under maybe you don't need all those gifs of the Japanese text scrolling down the screen?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

The_PC_Snob posted:

Betting 100% chance of thread derail, 90% of you getting probated, and 40% of getting banned for causing that shitstorm.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 22, 2012

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Turtlicious posted:

Starcraft 2

Also, remember to either lower the game volume a bit, or up your own mic volume a bit. Listen to the video afterwards, and if you a) Can't hear yourself clearly all the way through, or b) find yourself distracted from your mellow tones by the game sounds, you probably need to fiddle a bit more.

Otherwise, what the other folks said, and good luck with it, Starcraft's a good game!

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Volume posted:

Since you're translating right under maybe you don't need all those gifs of the Japanese text scrolling down the screen?

I thought this too, but all the text scrolls automatically. So it's more to show the animation of the scenes

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

The_PC_Snob posted:

Update 1

I agree with the others, this is good to go!

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Zackcat posted:

The recording volume on the music is a little low; otherwise, I think this looks good. And I think you should keep the animated gifs. I played part of a web-based clone of this with static images, and the falling snow definitely adds something.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Zackcat posted:

Looks good and I'm pretty excited to see this, since I have very little knowledge of the Play Novel. :neckbeard:

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

RoeCocoa posted:

The recording volume on the music is a little low; otherwise, I think this looks good. And I think you should keep the animated gifs. I played part of a web-based clone of this with static images, and the falling snow definitely adds something.

I am actually re-uploading all the music with better quality.

VoidBurger posted:

Looks good and I'm pretty excited to see this, since I have very little knowledge of the Play Novel. :neckbeard:

Thanks VB! I hope I don't disappoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[center][/center]

What is this?
This is StarCraft, or at least a Let's Play of it. If you don't know what StarCraft is you're either 14 or 40 and just bought a computer today. In both cases I really recommend you find other pieces of the internet instead of here while you still have your life ahead of you, but if you insist on staying... StarCraft is a game made by Blizzard in the year 1996 famous for revolutionizing the RTS genre. A lot of people (not me,) say gaming wouldn't be where it is today if it weren't for Blizzard pushing the line. Most of these people play WoW drink Mountain Dew and are scared of sunlight, but they have opinions and those opinions matter to an extent. StarCraft follows three people from three different species, and watch them try to deal with the issues of war, hunger, and religion. Starcraft also has more then 10 books published, not counting the numerous blog posts, dev tweets, fan vids made cannon, and stuff that was retconned. You'd have to be some sort of freak to follow a series with that much dedication

Who are you? Why Should We Care?

I'm a freak. StarCraft came out when I was 5 years old and it was the fourth game I ever played, (Before that was Reading Blaster, Math Blaster, then Phantasy Star 4: End of the Millenium,) my Father and I to this day still put in StarCraft every once in a while and play. It's a game that's really had a place in my heart for the longest time, and a game I really want to do justice. You should care because you'll never get "StarCraft the Abridged Version" as accurately, quickly, or with as much passion as I'm putting into this. I'm not sure what really to say more then that. If RTS LP's aren't your bag, or listening to my nasally voice inform you about betrayal, blood lust, and some dude's dead wife then you probably shouldn't watch, but if you loved the second starcraft, or want to get in the series with the full story, then I recommend you follow along. I'll make it a heck of a ride :3:

Latest Episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgXwTIXAyNw&hd=1

• Locked thread