Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think Harry Potter but no idea otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

wyoming posted:

What's the top right one supposed to be?

Kung Fu Panda.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

A sketch look was obv the intent but thats pretty poor even for a sketch, and the layout does it few favours. Is there something videogame-related that I'm missing?

Seriously it looks like a high-schooler did the figure in front.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 23, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Barf Wight posted:

^^ Arms aren't big enough :colbert:

That is super lovely. I got a quiz app thingy the other day where you guess stuff based on icons, one of categories is movies and it made me think of this stupid trend right away.

Why is Bender Bending Rodriguez next to Avatar?

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:

404GoonNotFound posted:

Why is Bender Bending Rodriguez next to Avatar?
I think that's one of the aliens from Toy Story.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

A sketch look was obv the intent but thats pretty poor even for a sketch, and the layout does it few favours. Is there something videogame-related that I'm missing?

Seriously it looks like a high-schooler did the figure in front.

The period it's set in is the early 1900s and a key theme is the myth of American Exceptionilism crossed with the fads of Eugenics and Xenophobia prevalent while the US was on the cusp of really getting its empire started.

See also:

The figure in front is a vaguely steampunk boss monster called the Songbird, seen on these other cover options which all go for that "turn of the century" look:

It's actually pretty in-theme with the rest of the game, and compared to the generic boxart (and design of the lead female character) it's one of the few marketing hints that the game isn't just run n' gun garbage.

For comparison this is the official boxart:

There was such a stupid fanboy reaction to the generic boxart that 2KGames is holding a poll to decide which of these cover options gets to be on the other side of the "official" boxart, and these are other options people have to vote on:

Now granted there isn't really that much depth to this game and it's still so rooted in teenage boy aesthetics and sophomoric notions of theme that it might as well come with acne medication, but if you're going to pick a fight with video game box art there are much more worthy opponents.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mind the walrus posted:

Now granted there isn't really that much depth to this game and it's still so rooted in teenage boy aesthetics and sophomoric notions of theme that it might as well come with acne medication, but if you're going to pick a fight with video game box art there are much more worthy opponents.

Yeah, the premise is cool but for every neat bit of World's Fair design you have something with the subtlety of a sledgehammer (like that mural). That and the female character having the face of a 12 year-old with that ridiculously low neckline on her dress, even though they fixed it up somewhat.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Oh yeah, if this were a boxart critique there would be no shortage of poo poo. Even if the intention is worthy I still think the example posted is pisspoor, sorry.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh I'm not saying you're wrong. In fact I think your criticisms are quite valid. Just saying that it's baby steps forward in that realm and even the piss poor examples need to be encouraged when they're the best there is to offer. Jump on the whole "white male protagonist with a gun standing in front of a generic background" trend if you want to take video game boxart down a peg.

This is a medium where this is one of the best covers known:

Literally anything that even accidentally approaches good needs to be given some leeway.

Farbtoner posted:

Yeah, the premise is cool but for every neat bit of World's Fair design you have something with the subtlety of a sledgehammer (like that mural). That and the female character having the face of a 12 year-old with that ridiculously low neckline on her dress, even though they fixed it up somewhat.

Preaching to the choir. Bioshock was one of those games I thought was enjoyable but fans were preaching as though it was video game literature. It's not, at all. It's still very good and worth encouraging though.

And yes, the lead female character's ridiculously low neckline creeps me out too, and I'm a guy. The whole rationale is apparently that she's a slave and mentally/physically regressive but dressed up like a tart, but it strikes me as a lovely justification to market depth and "strong female characters" when there's only just another wank fantasy for the males in the audience.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Ez posted:

That was my first reaction as well, the logo kinda sticks out in a bad way. Other than that it's really cool.
How about desaturating the title?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 24, 2012

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

This is a medium where this is one of the best covers known:

Literally anything that even accidentally approaches good needs to be given some leeway.

Whoa. A video game box is the last place I'd expect to see an homage to one of my favorite artists.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Bugblatter posted:

Whoa. A video game box is the last place I'd expect to see an homage to one of my favorite artists.

Yeah, that was only in Japan and Europe though. What did we get in the States, you ask?

And while we're talking game art/reversible covers, the limited US release of Xenoblade Saga also had a pretty nice one:

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 24, 2012

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The MSJ posted:

That poster actually infuriates me.

Content:
Everyone, attack the unseen off-screen enemy! Except the lady, she can just pose.

Geez they're not even being subtle in that poster. They directly lifted the walking tanks from Ring of Red.

They have the exact same model in the game that's featured on the poster.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Baron Bifford posted:

How about desaturating the title?

That's actually quite a bit better

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

WendigoJohnson posted:

Geez they're not even being subtle in that poster. They directly lifted the walking tanks from Ring of Red.

They have the exact same model in the game that's featured on the poster.

If you're comparing the actual model in the screenshot there, they look nothing alike beyond both being walking tanks.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you're comparing the actual model in the screenshot there, they look nothing alike beyond both being walking tanks.

There's higher polygon models in the game. But the ones on the poster are in the very game itself.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Zoot Suit Mahoney posted:

Hahaha, the lights in the buildings spell out "amazing" and then Spider-Man is Spider-Man!

How would anyone ever see that? :psyduck:

The Rock is in every movie nowadays and I'm fine with it.

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 24, 2012

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

PaganGoatPants posted:

How would anyone ever see that? :psyduck:

The Rock is in every movie nowadays and I'm fine with it.

i imagine it's one of those things that seems obvious if you're the one who comes up with it and you never show it to anyone else for critique.

which wouldn't suprise me given the quality.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
Video game poster art:

There are various versions that ruin it with logos and text but I remember being mesmerized by this as a kid. And now I appreciate the effort that must have gone into this. An awful lot of work for some silly RPG.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

casa de mi padre posted:

Video game poster art:

There are various versions that ruin it with logos and text but I remember being mesmerized by this as a kid. And now I appreciate the effort that must have gone into this. An awful lot of work for some silly RPG.
Why would you not post the name of it, except to be deliberately obtuse?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Akuma posted:

I'm guessing, but I think it's from Secret of Mana.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm guessing, but I think it's from Secret of Mana.

Yeah. I still get chills from the opening music of that game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaAnKvzI2W4

Sorry for derailing the thread with video game talk though...

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Akuma posted:

Judging from GBS videogame photoshop threads, people here automatically assume that everyone has played every game ever.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Davedave24 posted:

i imagine it's one of those things that seems obvious if you're the one who comes up with it and you never show it to anyone else for critique.

Yeah, the artist not asking "Will bright yellow figures in a grid of white figures against a black ground form legible text?" falls perfectly in line with them not asking "Does this poster design stylistically, thematically, or formally relate to the film in any way?"

Zoot Suit Mahoney
Jan 20, 2010

Quit jivin' me, turkey.
The poster is in reference to the iconic scene where Spider-Man learned to web-sling despite his shriveled right arm.

Brought me to tears.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

I spotted the "THE", looked for hidden text and still couldn't see anything. Terrible.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Akuma posted:

To annoy people like you.

WITNESS THE POWER!
Jun 13, 2009

Why don't you go get a glass of orange juice and spill it all over yourself like a big dumb baby

This is now officially the worst DVD cover I have ever seen in my entire life.

WITNESS THE POWER! fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 24, 2012

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

What are you talking about? Look at that rad chimp!

Whoa, there! How old is Emma Roberts in this? Because that chimp is totally ogling her from behind the rad sunglasses. That's not very rad.

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012
Eric Roberts has set a bad example for his niece.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Like, I can understand the concept when it's used with prestige pictures and big names to build up hype, but is anyone rooting through the bargain bin really going to be swayed by "From the producer of Air Bud"?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Does everyone in Julia Roberts' family have to try, and fail, at acting?

And "Spymate"? Seriously? Couldn't they just go all out and call it something like "James Bonobo: Secret Apegent Double-O Simian"?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Why is the chimp standing on its toes?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Silentman0 posted:

My guess is that whoever the body belongs to, whether it be the chimp or some random toddler, is being suspended by somebody and they just cut-and-pasted it and slapped it on the cover. As opposed to doing something out-there like just dressing the chimp up in a suit and taking a picture.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Went ahead and did a quick GIS

There you go.

There's your loving DVD cover.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Silentman0 posted:

Same reason Emma Roberts is.

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!

Wendell posted:

Same reason Emma Roberts is.

Ch..chimp ballet?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I really hope that movie involves blood diamonds, somehow.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tewratomeh posted:

Does everyone in Julia Roberts' family have to try, and fail, at acting?

And "Spymate"? Seriously? Couldn't they just go all out and call it something like "James Bonobo: Secret Apegent Double-O Simian"?

Emma Roberts didn't fail at acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
The real star of the movie is that pair of pants.

I didn't know they made western wear in stitched-together hobo corduroy.