Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

tuna posted:

My Jeep!

Photo taken trying to get the hell out of Silent Hill.

Ha! Quite possibly my favorite image sharing in this thread, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Rolo posted:

Got sent over here from the "post what you just bought thread."

Here's my brand new 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye edition, turbo, 6 speed:

So far I love the thing. Doesn't drink much gas, the turbo gives it enough up-and-go to make it fun, and the interior is so stinking nice when comparing the price. I can post more pictures and talk about it more if anyone wants.

I'm sure this was just a fluke, but when I test drove one of these the entire dashboard died within 500 feet of the dealership, and it took them drat near a month to fix it and call me back for another test drive. I didn't go back...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Giblet Plus! posted:

I drove to the upper tip of upper peninsula michigan, in the middle of a blizzard, passing in the unplowed lane constantly, on all seasons last winter. I'm sure winter tires are great but if you're a competent driver they are not a requirement.

Let's have this debate, but in the winter tires thread, not here.
e: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505592

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 25, 2012

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I traded my SRT8 wagon in

because it weighed approximately the same as a moon

To replace it i picked up at 2011 Corvette Grand Sport with around 6k miles on it.

I will need to get new plates at some point because this just doesn't make sense anymore

I really like all the features the grand sport has over a regular coupe. I had been considering a slightly older Z06 for around the same price, but since the grand sport still came with a dry sump oil system, the 6pot front brakes and the wide bodywork i felt that it was worth it to have the targa top for cruising around during the summer. The FAVE HUNNIT HORSEPOWA would have been nice but I think I can deal with a 3.9s 0-60 and 190+ top speed.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Where's your front plate?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That GS is nice. Did you demod the Magnum before you traded it in? I've always been curious how dealerships deal with having a race car dropped off in front of them.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Front plate is tucked behind the passengers seat. I'm not putting it on until I've gotten a ticket for no front plate.

I didn't do much to demod it. I had sold the track wheels last winter and I returned the ecu to the stock tune. It was still sitting on coilovers and the other suspension work as well as the loud exhaust, intake, and cooling mods. I really didn't have that much done to it, at least not much I could easily part out and sell easily.

I sell cars for a living so I went in to that dealership armed with the Galves and Manheim values of both cars as well as the full history of the vette, so I told them what I expected them to be able to do. I didn't go in trying to completely steal the car from them as I know they need to make a few bucks on the sale, but I got a nice deal on it as well as my trade and am very happy with everything.

I pulled the fuse for the dual mode exhaust so that the butterfly valve is open all the time. The car sounds dirty :q:

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.

kill me now posted:

Front plate is tucked behind the passengers seat. I'm not putting it on until I've gotten a ticket for no front plate.

I didn't do much to demod it. I had sold the track wheels last winter and I returned the ecu to the stock tune. It was still sitting on coilovers and the other suspension work as well as the loud exhaust, intake, and cooling mods. I really didn't have that much done to it, at least not much I could easily part out and sell easily.

I sell cars for a living so I went in to that dealership armed with the Galves and Manheim values of both cars as well as the full history of the vette, so I told them what I expected them to be able to do. I didn't go in trying to completely steal the car from them as I know they need to make a few bucks on the sale, but I got a nice deal on it as well as my trade and am very happy with everything.

I pulled the fuse for the dual mode exhaust so that the butterfly valve is open all the time. The car sounds dirty :q:

Do you mind sharing what you talked the Vette's price down to? I'm kind of in the market to do something stupid and I'd like to know what's possible if you're patient right now (especially with the C7 a month away).

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

nutnmunch posted:

Do you mind sharing what you talked the Vette's price down to? I'm kind of in the market to do something stupid and I'd like to know what's possible if you're patient right now (especially with the C7 a month away).

Galves on this one was something like $42,750 and I got it for $44,000 with a new set of tires on it and it was certified so there is another 12k/1yr tacked on to both the powertrain and bumper to bumper warranty.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How much is different between the GS and the Z51, aside from the wider bodywork and dry sump on the LS3?

And if you really want an LSx to sound evil, get a cam and long tubes in it. :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RkOnnl4BMU

My dad's old Camaro (which he sold to get his '06 Z51) with a decent sized cam, long tube headers, and a cutout.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

kill me now posted:

I really like all the features the grand sport has over a regular coupe. I had been considering a slightly older Z06 for around the same price, but since the grand sport still came with a dry sump oil system, the 6pot front brakes and the wide bodywork i felt that it was worth it to have the targa top for cruising around during the summer. The FAVE HUNNIT HORSEPOWA would have been nice but I think I can deal with a 3.9s 0-60 and 190+ top speed.

For some reason I thought the C6 Z06 did have the targa top. That car is amazing so congrats. I just assumed you tracked the wagon because it was an only vehicle. Is that correct or was that your fun car, and if not, how will having a Corvette as an only car affect your lifestyle if at all? Will you ever be one of those awesome guys with a trailer hitch on their vette hauling stuff around, or did you realize you simply didn't need all the space the wagon provided?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

On the GS, you can even option out of the drysump. I hear it's better after they increased the oil capacity, but Z06s still having oiling problems on track and stickier tires.

davebo posted:

For some reason I thought the C6 Z06 did have the targa top.

It wouldn't hurt from it. At Bondurant, the trainers were GS and I never heard a peep from the targa top, which seemed extremely securely clamped.
I bet it was an image thing to not offer it on the Z06, not weight or stiffness.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

IOwnCalculus posted:

How much is different between the GS and the Z51, aside from the wider bodywork and dry sump on the LS3?

The GS has over the old Z51
Z06 style body work
Z06 sized wheels/tires
Z06 14" 6 pot front/13" 4 pot rear brakes
Hand Built LS3 (at the same location that the LS7/LS9/LSA motors are built)
Dry sump oil system
LS3 specific close ratio 6spd transmission
Magnetic ride control suspension
Launch control

The GS is a pretty big upgrade over the old Z51 package especially for a car thats going to see some track time. That said I could definitely see myself upgrading to a set of stoptechs for the brakes down the road because I hear these calipers are an expensive pain in the dick with their padlet setup

davebo posted:

For some reason I thought the C6 Z06 did have the targa top. That car is amazing so congrats. I just assumed you tracked the wagon because it was an only vehicle. Is that correct or was that your fun car, and if not, how will having a Corvette as an only car affect your lifestyle if at all? Will you ever be one of those awesome guys with a trailer hitch on their vette hauling stuff around, or did you realize you simply didn't need all the space the wagon provided?

I had the SRT8 as an only car and tracked it because it was fun to have something different and to be honest it was still a bit of a monster on the track when I was on slicks and race pads.

I live less then a block away from my job and live in a nice tight knit suburban community with a great downtown area thats within walking distance from my co-op, so I don't really need a practical daily driver. I'm also single with no children so only having 2 seats isnt going to be much of a problem. I can still fit my hockey bag and sticks easily in the rear hatch of the vette and short of picking up furnature or other very large items I dont see the vettes size as a problem.

If I ever need to move large things around I'll just go to Home Depot and rent a pickup or van for a few hours or rent an SUV from a rental place for a day.

Depending on how much time and money I have available to devote to track days I may or may not go the hitch route for a small tire/tool trailer. Thats probably a year or more off even in the best case senario as I'm gonna ease into track days with this car. It will be street tires at the track for the time being.

kimbo305 posted:

On the GS, you can even option out of the drysump. I hear it's better after they increased the oil capacity, but Z06s still having oiling problems on track and stickier tires.

It wouldn't hurt from it. At Bondurant, the trainers were GS and I never heard a peep from the targa top, which seemed extremely securely clamped.
I bet it was an image thing to not offer it on the Z06, not weight or stiffness.

With the dry sump in the GS if you have the automatic transmission you dont get it, if you have the manual you do. If you're running really sticky tires and aero (the level you need to be at for the dry sump to not be adequate) you can always upgrade the pumps in the sump system, but at least the ground work is there so you arent dropping $7k on a full dry sump system.

The Z06 doesnt have a targa top because it has an aluminum chassis, the GS and Coupe have a steel chassis. Chevy felt that the AL frame wouldnt deal with the targa top as well so they didn't put that on the Z06 or ZR1.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

For what its worth, watching them put together a Z06 at Bowling Green right in front of my dad's Z51 - it looks like the top actually goes on the same way, it just gets bolted in instead of having latches installed. Personally I could do without it, the car is fine as a coupe and it's not like the top is particularly easy to take out / store. Only time my dad ever has had his off was due to the roof glue recall.

Also, I forgot how many other differences the Z06 had, and didn't realize the GS gets basically everything that isn't the frame or the LS7.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

kimbo305 posted:

My targa top made a tremendous amount of noise, FWIW, even after they did the "glue fix" which lasted about a week. The puddles behind the seats were enough, but the pop-pop-pop over every curb etc was just maddening after a while.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't think the glue was to fix noise, though - just to keep the roof skin from flying away.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't think the glue was to fix noise, though - just to keep the roof skin from flying away.

Oh no, there were at least two glue fixes for those :v:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Das Volk posted:

My targa top made a tremendous amount of noise, FWIW, even after they did the "glue fix" which lasted about a week. The puddles behind the seats were enough, but the pop-pop-pop over every curb etc was just maddening after a while.

I feel bad that your C6 was such garbage, but I feel good that mine isn't as bad. Luck of the draw, I hope.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I absolutely love having a targa top, looking up and seeing the sky when it's off, and still seeing it when it's on through the glass top. On a completely unrelated note, I recently had to have a basal cell carcinoma removed from my forehead, which I'm blaming entirely on my genetic predisposition to it and not at all because I have a targa top and don't think to wear sunscreen just to drive 15 minutes to work.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Yeah my dad has a 07 C6 coupe and I loved when I occasionally got a chance to drive it during the summer with the targa top off. It was one of the big reasons I went for a GS over a Z because I'm sure I could have gotten a z06 that was a few years older with a few more miles for the same money.

If I was buying a pure track day/race car I would have gotten a z06 but this is my daily driver, summer fun car and track day car all rolled into one so its about more then just being the absolute fastest option.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
I had a nice Miata

But now I have a nice Mini (and I miss my Miata)

This has an M7 pulley, Alta intake, Milltek exhaust and some sticky RE-11's. The car came with the performance modifications already installed, but I did buy the tires while in California so I could be a lunatic on Mulholland. Now that I'm back in Colorado and it's snowing, I'm struggling to find the same traction. It's not real suicide exactly, but more of a cry for help suicide on any unplowed roads.

Also, cool cars from everyone.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Anyone wanna buy my '02 AP1 S2000?

:shobon:

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 27, 2012

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Chriskory posted:

I had a nice Miata

But now I have a nice Mini (and I miss my Miata)

This has an M7 pulley, Alta intake, Milltek exhaust and some sticky RE-11's. The car came with the performance modifications already installed, but I did buy the tires while in California so I could be a lunatic on Mulholland. Now that I'm back in Colorado and it's snowing, I'm struggling to find the same traction. It's not real suicide exactly, but more of a cry for help suicide on any unplowed roads.

Also, cool cars from everyone.

They suck bad in the snow without winter tires. Luckily it has not snowed much at all in New England since I got mine, which is kind of amazing really

Adiabatic posted:

:10bux:

radikewlism
Jan 4, 2007
I have a wagon fetish. To give a brief history, I owned a volvo v70 first, which I loved. It ended up having way more electrical problems than I was ready for and sold it for a small loss. My next car was an 85 mercedes 300TD wagon. It was a bucket of rust and hate but had moments of fun and would have been awesome if it wasnt falling apart. My next wagon came in the form of a 91 buick roadmaster estate. I still have the car, because it has treated me extremely well for 3 years. I change the oil every 10,xxx miles and thats it. GM build quality is very apparent, but it still runs, blows cold air and hot heat.

Well, as of late, I figured I had paid my dues of driving a piece of poo poo with the buick and started to save. Last week I made a move on the car of my dreams. A 2001 Saab 9-5 5spd wagon. The car is beautiful, fun as all hell, and CLEAN. I quit smoking the day I got it soley due to the fact that I never wanted to get it dirty. Last night, however, shook me up. I was driving to a friends house to show off the car. It was rainy and wet out so I was driving extremely carefully. Being as this is my first manual, I am still not 100% perfect, but close enough.
Anyway, not two miles away from home, I am watching a big blue diesel truck roll up to a stop sign I was about to pass. We all have the moment where we envision the car/truck running the stop sign right into the road, but it rarely, if never happens. Well, not this time. The truck runs straight through the stop sign into my lane. I quickly tap the brakes to turn off my cruise control and merge into the left lane. The truck decides to merge all the way over too. I even more quickly switch over to the right to try and avoid rear-ending him. He brakes and merges right back infront of me, causing me to brake, slide into his bumper that sends me sliding into the guard rail. I watch in pain and rage as he slows down, then speeds off. I stalled out and couldnt get it started again right way to follow him.

Anyway, here is the car on Christmas day, in all her beauty. Its mostly the right quarter panel that got damaged, but it feels like someone stole my girlfriends virginity. I am heart broken.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

radikewlism posted:

I have a wagon fetish.

We're here to help.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Adiabatic posted:

..where is the rest of it? You're not giving up in the middle of a rebuild are you?

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
Traded in my black 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track M/T for a grey 2013 in the same trim. Couldn't be happier with the trade. The interior is leagues beyond the 2010 and the addition of direct injection adds a really nice punch to the engine. It even sounds better. I bought it with exactly 3.8 miles on it, which I thought was pretty funny.

Digital fuel and engine temp gauge, because why not?

First order of business is to replace the shifter knob. This one is really awkward and I have no idea why they changed it.

Second is to make these functional.

Bonus headlight shot.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
lol at the Fuel Consumption and Torque gauges

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

D C posted:

I was going to make a very similar comment.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

D C posted:

The 4cyl has a boost gauge instead of torque, which makes sense. My guess is they added the fuel consumption just because they wanted 3 gauges there. :iiam:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Why not something useful like oil pressure?

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why not something useful like oil pressure?
I don't know, I didn't design it. They can easily be swapped out and rewired though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Meatsicle posted:

Would that be good for anything?

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Meatsicle posted:

That angle shot makes it look like it has a big gag in its mouth.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

kimbo305 posted:

Would that be good for anything?
Helping to cool the engine would be my guess. Also makes them less ricey. Oh and when it rains there will be a cool steam effect.

Lots of hate itt. :(

Meatsicle fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 28, 2012

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

kimbo305 posted:

I feel bad that your C6 was such garbage, but I feel good that mine isn't as bad. Luck of the draw, I hope.

Yeah, it was a Friday car and pretty much everything that could go wrong did go wrong. The thing that really set me off about it was that it replaced the CTS-V which also was having numerous really stupid quality problems. C'est la vie I suppose. At least yours is working!

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Meatsicle posted:

Helping to cool the engine would be my guess. Also makes them less ricey. Oh and when it rains there will be a cool steam effect.

Lots of hate itt. :(

If it makes you feel any better I only hate you because I can't afford your car.

99% joking, nice car though

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Meatsicle posted:

Even though the blocked vents might be for looks only, it might be worse for cooling if you opened them up. Modifying aerodynamics is unintuitive, and opening vents on the hood, especially up closer to the base of the windshield, might not do what you think it would. I dunno, this is just a bat signal for DJ Commie to :bahgawd: about it.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

kimbo305 posted:

Even though the blocked vents might be for looks only, it might be worse for cooling if you opened them up. Modifying aerodynamics is unintuitive, and opening vents on the hood, especially up closer to the base of the windshield, might not do what you think it would. I dunno, this is just a bat signal for DJ Commie to :bahgawd: about it.
At the very least it helps the hot air escape, no? And there are openings in the hood underneath the vent as if Hyundai intended to or wanted to allow people to open them:

A bunch of people on gencoupe.com have done it with no adverse effects. One guy reported a big drop in engine bay temp, but of course I take anecdotal forum posts with a grain of salt. Either way, I'll be buying aftermarket open vent inserts, so if there are any issues I can just put the closed ones back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Meatsicle posted:

At the very least it helps the hot air escape, no?

No. Or at least not necessarily.