Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Dolby setup guide looks good. Thanks for that!

Yeah, I live in London. Am I spending too much on the amp? If I do go with the Onkyo, I'll don't think I'll be able to stretch anything more than a 2.0 setup right now unless I can find some good, budget speakers.

EDIT: My dad is looking at soundbars. I guess what it boils down to is, if I invest £4-500 in a 3.1 system, can I do better than a Yamaha YHT-S401?

angor fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Anyone have an opinion on the Denon 1312?

Best Buy is selling it for a mere $99, which (asuming there is even any left) sounds like a Hell of a deal.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
Man, gently caress ARC is utterly useless if you can only get 2.0 audio! At that point I should just go back to using composite audio cables :(

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

weaaddar posted:

Man, gently caress ARC is utterly useless if you can only get 2.0 audio! At that point I should just go back to using composite audio cables :(

Some TVs might, ARC theoretically supports it, but as far as I know LG doesn't pass 5.1 sound from devices other than its internal tuner. I don't have a LG screen so I can't verify it either way, but quick browsing at AVSForum would seem to agree with me here.

ARC is the worst feature ever.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

angor posted:

Dolby setup guide looks good. Thanks for that!

Yeah, I live in London. Am I spending too much on the amp? If I do go with the Onkyo, I'll don't think I'll be able to stretch anything more than a 2.0 setup right now unless I can find some good, budget speakers.

EDIT: My dad is looking at soundbars. I guess what it boils down to is, if I invest £4-500 in a 3.1 system, can I do better than a Yamaha YHT-S401?

Look at the used market for speakers. No need to buy new.

I don't know what currency your country uses now (Euro ? Pound ?) but I put a max budget into craigslist of 500 of your moon money and picked out a few ads with decent looking speakers.

Also, HOLY poo poo is craigslist.co.uk filled with loving awesome speakers. Vancouver craigslist is full of home theater in a box garbage and Bose and people trying to unload their white van scam specials on others. Your area is full of very nice higher end stuff.

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/ele/3472965063.html

jonathan fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 22, 2012

CoolBlue
Jul 23, 2007
Bags of cereal are awesome

Mister Macys posted:

Best Buy is selling it for a mere $99, which (asuming there is even any left) sounds like a Hell of a deal.

Got a link for this deal?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

jonathan posted:

Look at the used market for speakers. No need to buy new.

I don't know what currency your country uses now (Euro ? Pound ?) but I put a max budget into craigslist of 500 of your moon money and picked out a few ads with decent looking speakers.

Also, HOLY poo poo is craigslist.co.uk filled with loving awesome speakers. Vancouver craigslist is full of home theater in a box garbage and Bose and people trying to unload their white van scam specials on others. Your area is full of very nice higher end stuff.

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/ele/3472965063.html

£=Pound

Ok, those are rad, but out of my budget for sure. How are you finding awesome stuff? If I throw in "Speakers" with a price range of 200-500 I see the pair you linked and a Bose CineMate thing. Or are you saying there's more good higher-end stuff?

I found a used ONKYO TX SR607 for £170 on Gumtree (similar to Craigslist, but more popular here). Decent value?

Seeing some good (I think) stuff on preloved.co.uk.

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/106999972/sony-and-kef-q-home-cinema-surround-system-absolute-bargain.html
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/106805424/kef-speakers-and-denon-amplifier.html
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/107024854/jamo-speakers-4-surround-one-larger-central-speaker.html
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/106959118/monitor-audio-bx5-natural-oak.html

angor fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 22, 2012

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER

Hob_Gadling posted:

Some TVs might, ARC theoretically supports it, but as far as I know LG doesn't pass 5.1 sound from devices other than its internal tuner. I don't have a LG screen so I can't verify it either way, but quick browsing at AVSForum would seem to agree with me here.

ARC is the worst feature ever.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399636/official-lg-xxlm7600-owners-thread/930
With a harmony and a comprehension of engrish it's apparently possible to get ARC to do DTS and DD pass thru. Still not so good if you use your ps3 as your blu-ray player (like I do) and want to pass 5.1 LPCM.

ARC is indeed complete bullocks.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

CoolBlue posted:

Got a link for this deal?

Soviet Canuckistan: :canada: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...cedb00ba0a5en02

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Hello goons. I just finished setting up my wife's Onkyo TX-NR609. Everything is going smoothly. I plan on buying some better speaker wire. My main question is this, do I have to do something special for my PC input to work? It's not being used as a secondary monitor, it's my wife's primary monitor. Hooking directly into her TV works great, but when I put it into the D9 PC input on the back of the receiver, I don't get a picture. Am I missing something?

I'm planning on calling Onkyo, they say their connection people are there even on Christmas, but I can't find their drat number.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Your input/output assign is likely to be wrong. See manual p. 18 and 44 for more information.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gothmog1065 posted:

Hello goons. I just finished setting up my wife's Onkyo TX-NR609. Everything is going smoothly. I plan on buying some better speaker wire. My main question is this, do I have to do something special for my PC input to work? It's not being used as a secondary monitor, it's my wife's primary monitor. Hooking directly into her TV works great, but when I put it into the D9 PC input on the back of the receiver, I don't get a picture. Am I missing something?

I'm planning on calling Onkyo, they say their connection people are there even on Christmas, but I can't find their drat number.

Don't spend much on speaker cable. Monoprice 14 guage wire is perfectly suitable.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

jonathan posted:

Don't spend much on speaker cable. Monoprice 14 guage wire is perfectly suitable.

Yeah, I'm not doing anything fancy there. No $100 per foot speaker cable here. Just fighting with my PC in which I'm probably just going to swap to using HDMI and run my speaker separately.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Since we're talking about cables, does anyone know of a good way to join speaker wire? I want to run one 4-conductor cable to behind my couch then split it to normal 2-conductor that goes to my speakers and I'd like to do something a little better quality than electrical tape.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
I recently got some gift cards for Christmas and was thinking of using them for some home audio. I was looking into getting a soundbar, the Zvox 320 (http://www.zvoxaudio.com/cgi-bin/item/4003201) in particular. I like that I can just put my TV on top of it, since I don't want to go through the effort of mounting.

I know soundbars are at the low end of the home audio spectrum, but I'm not really an audiophile (I've been using my TV's built-in speakers for years) and this would only be for my bedroom, not the cornerstone of my home entertainment system. Is the Zvox decent? I'm looking to spend ~250 max, so any alternative suggestions would also be appreciated.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

qirex posted:

Since we're talking about cables, does anyone know of a good way to join speaker wire? I want to run one 4-conductor cable to behind my couch then split it to normal 2-conductor that goes to my speakers and I'd like to do something a little better quality than electrical tape.

Wire nuts or crimp on butt connectors would work fine.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm wanting to replace my positively ancient JVC receiver - it's old enough to buy cigarettes legally (purchased in 1994), the surround processor died years ago, the left channel keeps dropping when it's been off for awhile until I smack it, and well, something that can handle HDMI would be neat.

I'd like networked (Slacker and DLNA would be perfect), 5.1, and at least 3 HDMI inputs. Cheap wireless dongle would be nice if I go networked, as would an Android app. Networked isn't an absolute requirement, but it would be good to have.

Amazon has the Onkyo TX-NR414 for $245, shipped (or $226 for open box, also shipped). There's also the TX-SR313 for under $200, though I'm leaning more toward the NR414. Onkyo also has a pretty cheap ($20ish) wireless dongle for their receivers.

Do either of these sound like a good entry level receiver? Anyone have personal experiences with either model? It'll be hooked up to an older 720p/1080i TV for now, and to start with, some older Infinity speakers (bookshelf up front, satellite for center and rear). I plan to add a Polk PSW10 at the same time, as my old Infinity sub crapped out.

Eventual expansion will be better speakers first, then a newer TV (~6 year old Toshiba 32" LCD for now). Everything I'd plan to hook up to it would be HDMI.

DaddyBigBucks
Sep 28, 2003

How do people feel about this deal:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/-/b0000946.aspx?lang=en-CA&pcname=&sku=b0000946&path=731c5d5d081da1952578a5dc51ff94daen02

I was thinking of pairing it with this receiver:

https://www-ssl.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/pr...377c9212ed8en02

Main uses include my PS3, various sporting events and a lot of loud rock music.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

So my Pioneer VSX 1121 just conked out of me after a year of service. I was wondering if any of you guys had any recommendations on a good 7.1 receiver that has a good track record of lasting much longer than the warranty.

Also is optical input/outputs any better than just getting surround sound through hdmi?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Raspberry Bang posted:

So my Pioneer VSX 1121 just conked out of me after a year of service. I was wondering if any of you guys had any recommendations on a good 7.1 receiver that has a good track record of lasting much longer than the warranty.

Also is optical input/outputs any better than just getting surround sound through hdmi?

HDMI would generally be preferable, due to the convenience of having just one cable.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

XtremeMac InCharge Bluetooth Audio Receiver and 10W Charger for iPhone, iPod, iPad, Smartphones and Tablets $15 shipped

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Finally picked up a few things used.

A pair of Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 3 v2 and an Onkyo TX-SR608. £330! I think I did pretty well. They sound loving awesome.

angor fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 28, 2012

doogle
May 24, 2003

I recently bought a new house and the conduit behind the TV to the hdmi face plate thing is too small in diameter for an actual hdmi cable. Can I run an hdmi mini cable with a hdmi mini->hdmi adapter on the end? This will be going from my receiver to my TV.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

doogle posted:

I recently bought a new house and the conduit behind the TV to the hdmi face plate thing is too small in diameter for an actual hdmi cable. Can I run an hdmi mini cable with a hdmi mini->hdmi adapter on the end? This will be going from my receiver to my TV.

There are keystone jacks that have an HDMI plug but use cat 6 cable for the run. For some reason you can go longer lengths with cat 6. Mono price sells them for cheap. Maybe someone else can weigh in on the actual benefits.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember

Mister Macys posted:

Seconding this, though I doubt they have any left. There's also a Denon AVR 1513 on for $200.

I have a 6-8 year old Denon AVR 1707 which I find very nice except for the fact it does not have HDMI inputs and within the last year has become a problem as I now have a PS3 and laptop with HDMI. Any suggestions? I can't decide if I should get a cheap AVR (like the two mentioned above) or wait and spend more. Requirements are a minimum of 4 HDMI inputs, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA and 1 component input would be nice.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, I'm probably gonna just save for a Marantz Slimline, since my Ikea Lack bench only has 5.95" clearance.
I'd get the H/K AVR700 for $230, but it doesn't have auto-calibration. :sigh:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'm thinking about building a surround sound system but my problem is the rear channels. Does anyone make wireless rear surrounds that work with standard receivers? I haven't found anything reasonable and I don't want to run wires through the walls because I'm lazy.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Chemmy posted:

I'm thinking about building a surround sound system but my problem is the rear channels. Does anyone make wireless rear surrounds that work with standard receivers? I haven't found anything reasonable and I don't want to run wires through the walls because I'm lazy.

How do you feel about running power wires to those rear speakers? Because they will either need that, or run off batteries that will need constant replacement.

Edit: Here's a decent writeup on why wireless speakers never seem to really break into mainstream:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/309191/wireless-rear-surround-speakers

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Power is fine, there are outlets back there, I just don't want a sound wire running across the middle of the floor.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The marantz receivers are the classiest looking pieces of home audio equipment. All my stuff is hidden in a remote room from the viewing area so you never see it, but if I had stuff displayed up front it would probably be a marantz.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
I'm trying to get my 360 to work with my Yamaha RX-V471 receiver via component but it's not working (I get audio but no video). I've tried resetting the 360 display settings and plugging it directly into the TV, which worked. I heard that if you use component for a device, the receiver also must be hooked to the TV via component and not HDMI- is this true?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Really quick question. I need a subwoofer cable and I have a reel of PF100 laying around. Will that work?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

angor posted:

Really quick question. I need a subwoofer cable and I have a reel of PF100 laying around. Will that work?

if it's single conductor, no. If it's dual conductor then it should be fine. A normal sub/rca cable as a positive and negative conductor. I don't know if PF100 comes in a 2 conductor variety.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

UncleGuito posted:

I'm trying to get my 360 to work with my Yamaha RX-V471 receiver via component but it's not working (I get audio but no video). I've tried resetting the 360 display settings and plugging it directly into the TV, which worked. I heard that if you use component for a device, the receiver also must be hooked to the TV via component and not HDMI- is this true?

Check the manual for pass through. I have a cheaper receiver and it doesn't convert component to hdmi.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

jonathan posted:

if it's single conductor, no. If it's dual conductor then it should be fine. A normal sub/rca cable as a positive and negative conductor. I don't know if PF100 comes in a 2 conductor variety.

Gah, now I'm confused. Here's a (lovely) picture of the back of the sub:

Here's the amp (Onkyo TX-SR608)

I need to connect from the Line Out on the sub to the Pre Out Subwoofer on the receiver, correct? Something like this then?: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/6m-adam-hall-3-star-series-audio-cable-2x-rca-male-to-2x-rca-male

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nope. Use one of the Sub Pre Out's from the receiver, run an rca cord from that to one of the "Line in" on the subwoofer.

Set the subs crossover/high pass filter to off or turn it up to the max setting (This removes the circuitry from the equation and lets your amp handle bass management)

Set phase to 0*

Set your gain to 11 o'clock

Run audyssey setup on your receiver and follow the isntructions.

RCA cables look like this: https://www.google.ca/search?q=rca+...iw=1366&bih=600

You only need to use a single one.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

angor posted:

Gah, now I'm confused. Here's a (lovely) picture of the back of the sub:

Here's the amp (Onkyo TX-SR608)

I need to connect from the Line Out on the sub to the Pre Out Subwoofer on the receiver, correct? Something like this then?: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/6m-adam-hall-3-star-series-audio-cable-2x-rca-male-to-2x-rca-male

You have the manual for your speakers/sub?

With the setups that I have seen like that, you wire up from the front L/R channels out on the receiver to "HI LEVEL SPEAKER IN" on the sub, then from "HI lEVEL SPEAKER OUT" on the sub to the front speakers. Then you set up the receiver to act like it has big front L/R speakers, and the sub works together with the front speakers.

For sub level, start with it somewhere in the middle and tweak it from there. For crossover, it depends on what speakers you're using with the sub (or just look at the manual if it's all one set and you've got it).

smax fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 3, 2013

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I was thinking about getting a SVS PB-1000. On the SVS website it lists it can do 19-270 hz, on their international sales page, the only website for the UK is karma-av.co.uk but karma-av list the PB-1000 as being 22-200 hz. What gives? :(

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb-1000#.UOUTQ8W-zPt
http://www.karma-av.co.uk/product.asp?ProductID=139&d=2

uncola
Apr 21, 2002
There's a frequency response graph on svsound's web site.. you can see the rolloff starts around 23hz but it still has tons of useable output at 19 if I'm readin it correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

uncola posted:

There's a frequency response graph on svsound's web site.. you can see the rolloff starts around 23hz but it still has tons of useable output at 19 if I'm readin it correctly.

Thanks.

I have 10 satellites and I'd like to use all 10, rated at 70 watts, I would need either a 10 channel 70 watts per channel amp, or since 10 channel amps probably don't exist, a 5 channel 140 watts per channel amp, and shove 2 sets of speaker wires into each of the terminals?