Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I have no idea what this means. I mean, obviously you're referring to different endings, but I don't know what the significance of True Demon is and I'm afraid to Google something related to the end of the game for fear of spoiling it.

Whichever ending I end up going for though, I'll be sure not to neglect my strength stat.
I would recommend against TDE, as it's a hard ending to beat in an already hard game. Get whatever usual MegaTen Neutral/Chaos/Law sort of ending you like and go with that, and tackle TDE on a NG+. By the way, you railroad yourself on the TDE route by completing all of the Amala Networks. However you DO want to complete some of them, just not the last one (I think there's an obvious prompt before the point of no return).

Anyway! I highly recommend a High Phys main character. You can do some devastating things in the endgame, though you'll want to keep one or two spells around for those battles where physical isn't the way to go. I think I eventually wound up with some Almighty spell as my back-up. So on that front, you'll want some balance anyway. Just keep in mind there's no need to go beyond I think 30 points in any stat, since the best magatama is +10 to everything and the max is 40 I believe.

High physical means you should of course keep Focus throughout the whole game. Don't get rid of Fog Breath or War Cry until you either have enough demons with said skills, or a demon with Debilitate at which point both become somewhat useless.

Matador sucks, the key is to fuse something that resists wind.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Another new SMT4 character. I'm sure she's very friendly and probably not Lilith in disguise.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Alright, thanks for the tips. I'll probably avoid TDE for my first playthrough, but I'll start putting strength ahead of magic for my level ups. I thought I had read that magic was the way to go, but now that I think about it, I think I'm remembering advice for Devil Survivor or something.

As a side note, the camera control in this game is hilarious. I'm assuming the dungeons in this game are going to mostly be corridors, so making the right analog stick a weird, dedicated first-person view sort of thing is just a bizarre design choice.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DarkHamsterlord posted:

As a side note, the camera control in this game is hilarious. I'm assuming the dungeons in this game are going to mostly be corridors, so making the right analog stick a weird, dedicated first-person view sort of thing is just a bizarre design choice.

I think it's because they originally intended the game to be first person like SMT 1 and 2. The triggers being used for strafing and O centering/locking the camera make much more sense when playing in first person (though strangely they made this something that unlocks after beating the game once instead of a regular option).

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

ImpAtom posted:

I did the Nebiros fight with two carried-over demons. :colbert:

(It's really fun.)

A bit late, but I have to ask. HOW.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Alright, thanks for the tips. I'll probably avoid TDE for my first playthrough, but I'll start putting strength ahead of magic for my level ups. I thought I had read that magic was the way to go, but now that I think about it, I think I'm remembering advice for Devil Survivor or something.

You should definitely do it in your first playthrough. It makes it possible (I think) to fuse every demon, which is something to really aim for, since it's cuts the price of every demon in the compendium during the New Game. Same goes for getting the high score of all of the graveyard fights. it'll make your new game + that much more impressive.

I cannot explain how nice it is to play the earlygame with a maxed Beelzebub and Metatron, but's like having the world's best bodyguards.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Say I save in a separate slot once I'm locked into the TDE route. If I get into it and turn out to be really bad at video games, about how much time would be lost if I reloaded my old save and went for a different, easier ending?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You're locked into your ending in general the moment you step into the last dungeon, and locked into the TDE one specifically once you walk into the last room in the amala labyrinth, so overall you'd have to re-do the final dungeon which would be about maybe 2-4 hours tops.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I got Dante, then got to the very end of the Labyrinth of Amala, said "Eh" and went and got the Strength ending. I think I left a save before I entered the Tower of Kagutsuchi, though.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

TurnipFritter posted:

Another new SMT4 character. I'm sure she's very friendly and probably not Lilith in disguise.

She looks cheery. I love her outfit though--her colors and the design remind me somebody, one of the Femme demons. I wonder who she is.

Hell, I'm just pumped as hell seeing these SMT4 designs. I'm glad to see that this game actually still LOOKS like an SMT game. With Persona and Devil Survivor being so popular, I'd hate it if they took away SMT's distinctive look for a more commercially viable one.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Okay how the hell do you actually beat the last of the bonus bosses in DS2? Does it involve grinding, cause if it does, I'll just come back on a third run.

I don't want to be your friend, Alice! :gonk:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

RentCavalier posted:

She looks cheery. I love her outfit though--her colors and the design remind me somebody, one of the Femme demons. I wonder who she is.

All it says is that her name is Kaga, she's part of the Gaia Cult (as well as something it calls the Asura Group,), and that she'll be involved with the future of Tokyo (which I guess is just the magazine's way of saying she'll be important to the story).

This guy from the trailer has a page too. His name is Tayama.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I actually found it useful for a few dungeon puzzles.

TurnipFritter posted:

While the samurai looked a bit average, this is some interesting character design. I'm glad they're revisiting the Gaea and hopefully the Messians as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

legoman727 posted:

A bit late, but I have to ask. HOW.

Lucifer and Satan basically, divided up between two heroes with the best defenses I could offer.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

legoman727 posted:

Okay how the hell do you actually beat the last of the bonus bosses in DS2? Does it involve grinding, cause if it does, I'll just come back on a third run.

I don't want to be your friend, Alice! :gonk:

As I recall, you have to wear them all down and then do a clean sweep before any of them get to act.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
DS2 anime site, trailer and some screens are out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrgO08drKLQ

If this was a non-licensed anime, after watching the trailer, I'd want nothing to do with it. (And I'm not watching it either way because I plan on playing DS2 sometime this century).

Links and poo poo stolen from GAF.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 29, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yamato looks a lot like Viral in the picture.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wonder if it will be as bad as the Persona one.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Alteisen posted:

I'd love if it was as "bad" as the Persona 4 anime.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Alteisen posted:

Trinity Soul? I doubt it'll be that terrible.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea I meant the P4 one, though Trinity was horrendous.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Alteisen posted:

Yea I meant the P4 one, though Trinity was horrendous.

The P4 anime was actually good though?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The faces all look okay, so I already consider it a step up from the P4 anime art-wise.

Anything else I can probably teach myself to selectively ignore.

VVV Actually, from the other screens, it looks like he's just wearing some bizarre mascara.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 29, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

That's some, uh, interesting lighting effects.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I don't see Jungo in that trailer. :( But I do see Yamato in it.

ANIME STATUS: AMBIVALENT TOWARDS

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Technique posted:

Frankly, we won't know if the anime is good until we see how much of an rear end in a top hat the protagonist is. Still, they did it right with Yu, and there's potential here, so ANIME STATUS: CAUTIOUSLY OPTIMISTIC.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

Technique posted:

They only showed silhouettes of Dubhe and Merak, so presumably, this is just a preview of up to Day 2. (Also no Keita! That's almost a fair trade.)

On a side note, I just fused a Purple Mirror that Repels everything except Almighty.

...I love the fusion system in DS2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

legoman727 posted:

They only showed silhouettes of Dubhe and Merak, so presumably, this is just a preview of up to Day 2. (Also no Keita! That's almost a fair trade.)

On a side note, I just fused a Purple Mirror that Repels everything except Almighty.

...I love the fusion system in DS2.

Purple Mirror is so easy to make a Repel All that it's almost silly. It's easily one of the most ridiculous demons you can summon even just by default.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"

King of Solomon posted:

The P4 anime was actually good though?
The P4 anime was very hit and miss with me. There were a lot of GREAT scenes, particularly every scene where Yu shined, but there was also a lot of other things that dragged the anime down for me. Since they took a loving huge RPG and condensed it into 25 or so episodes, everything felt too fast paced for me. There were a few goofy scenes that I felt were a little TOO goofy, even for P4 standards, and the fight scenes, while having their moments, always felt kind of weak. I wouldn't call the anime bad by any means, but there are a lot better out there.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Snix posted:

The P4 anime was very hit and miss with me. There were a lot of GREAT scenes, particularly every scene where Yu shined, but there was also a lot of other things that dragged the anime down for me. Since they took a loving huge RPG and condensed it into 25 or so episodes, everything felt too fast paced for me. There were a few goofy scenes that I felt were a little TOO goofy, even for P4 standards, and the fight scenes, while having their moments, always felt kind of weak. I wouldn't call the anime bad by any means, but there are a lot better out there.

Alteisen was calling it bad. Your perspective is fine (and honestly fairly agreeable. I didn't get deep into it before I got distracted, but the fighting scenes were weak.)

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Holy poo poo, Io looks way better than she does in game already. Her hands look somewhat sane!

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

legoman727 posted:

Look again, Keita is there at 22 seconds in. :(

Hopefully he'll just fall down some stairs, though.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
For some reason I am incredibly interested in seeing how the MC's phone actually works. I just can't figure it out. The top portion is wider, but it looks like a flip phone and off-balance sides would just be weird on one.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Isn't it based on a real life phone? It's a flip phone but then you can just turn it to make the top horizontal.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yeah, it is. This one, to be exact. From my understanding, it looks like the phone flips upwards first, and then you can rotate the screen on a hinge or something to turn it sideways.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

That looks pretty cool, actually. I kind of want one now that I can see how it works.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schubalts posted:

That looks pretty cool, actually. I kind of want one now that I can see how it works.

"Massively inferior to a smartphone in every way" basically.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ImpAtom posted:

"Massively inferior to a smartphone in every way" basically.

From what I've heard, Japanese flip phones might actually be as powerful as American smartphones, so this might not actually be a bad phone. Too bad Japanese phones are region locked so that most features are disabled if not used in Japan with a Japanese carrier.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Yea, they're basically smartphones disguised as flip phones.

Just check out Softbank's main site.

I just checked my playtime on P3P before starting New Game+. 97 hours. I bought it last week. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Schubalts posted:

Yea, they're basically smartphones disguised as flip phones.

Just check out Softbank's main site.

That.. tells you next to nothing, aside from "it has Wifi, a Oneseg tuner and a SDHC MicroSD port".