Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Game Dev Story and Dungeon Village are the two that these threads have gotten the most mileage out of.

GDS is the most basic and should introduce the flow of the games well. Dungeon Village is (in my opinion) the most fun, but the level of complexity is much higher and it can be tricky to get a foothold in.

Many people here have reported getting burned out on Kairosoft games after playing too many, so go for those two (and Beastie Bay) and only play the others if your interest holds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

VDay posted:

Is there an established 'best' Kairosoft game? Not sure where to start with those.

Game Dev story or Dungeon Village. Beastie Bay is free but I can't say I like it very much.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

Nah. No lovely shell like Mobage, but it does require a Facebook account if I'm remembering right (although it doesn't ever post to your account or even ask to). It looks like Facebook is the only way to add friends though, but I've got a ton of dragons and all that without friends, so it must not help that much.

You can skip the Facebook login but then your park is tied to your phone. Facebook lets you share it across multiple Android devices.

The main reason to add friends is so they'll gift you gems, or visit their parks for some extra cash (tap the party hats). Doesn't make a huge difference, though.

(Full disclosure: I'm the one who wrote the Android port, so feel free to yell at me if poo poo is hosed.)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

UraniumAnchor posted:

You can skip the Facebook login but then your park is tied to your phone. Facebook lets you share it across multiple Android devices.
Since you asked for criticism and I'm genuinely interested, why would you build the game this way? I have a Google Account to identify me across devices. What does Facebook offer that makes this easier as a dev?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Tunga posted:

Since you asked for criticism and I'm genuinely interested, why would you build the game this way? I have a Google Account to identify me across devices. What does Facebook offer that makes this easier as a dev?

Quick answer: Because it's what they told me to do.

Slightly longer answer: We already had some Facebook code in the engine already and nothing for Google, so this was easier to get working. Now that the game's had a bit of time to settle in there's a handful of stuff I'm going to see if I can carve out time for, Google accounts being one of them.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

The Flying Milton posted:

I received a Kindle Fire. Is there anything that really stands out on the Amazon Store? Not having access to Play blows.

Happily you can side load the Play store .apk without root, I think someone done a write up on it on reddit the other day. I'll see about finding a link for you.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

UraniumAnchor posted:

The main reason to add friends is so they'll gift you gems, or visit their parks for some extra cash (tap the party hats). Doesn't make a huge difference, though.

(Full disclosure: I'm the one who wrote the Android port, so feel free to yell at me if poo poo is hosed.)

The only thing hosed is how long it's taking me to get that goddamn dragon statue's head.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I could use some help with GemRB if anyone in here knows anything about it. I'm pretty sure it's a path issue but I haven't a clue how to fix it.

I've got gemrb in mnt/ext_sd/gemrb, with /bg2 inside the gemrb folder. But when writing the game path as ./mnt/ext_sd/gemrb/bg2 I get zilch. I figure I'm either missing the parent folder of mnt (which I have no idea what it's called), the CD paths aren't correct or I messed up the data install paths for bg2. The possibility that I am an idiot looms large.

:shepicide:

E: Oh, using the GOG files for BG2, if I need to do any rearranging.

Orv fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 29, 2012

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
My battlecats invite code is 2nrd8. Fun game so far :)

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
I need a guide on what all the cats do

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Guilty posted:

I need a guide on what all the cats do

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3519910

Not even joking, the op contain an overview of all the units in the game.

Talking about battle Cats, it gave me the inch for tower defense games. Which one on the playstore is the best paid or free (no pay wall please).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

UraniumAnchor posted:

If I skipped the whole Facebook stuff, is there a way to eventually make my phone-tied park my Facebook park? Alternatively, can I back up/restore my park data somehow?

Also that's really awesome that you did it, UA.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Bleusilences posted:

Talking about battle Cats, it gave me the inch for tower defense games. Which one on the playstore is the best paid or free (no pay wall please).

I haven't played a ton of TD games but I enjoyed the crap out of Sentinel3.

edit: In Battle Cats, is there a secret to getting good treasure, or is it random or out of the players control?

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 29, 2012

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Bleusilences posted:

I've had a lot of fun with iBomber Defense Pacific. As mentioned above Sentinel 3 is great, and Fieldrunners HD is good too.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

The only thing hosed is how long it's taking me to get that goddamn dragon statue's head.

Sorry, I take no responsibility for design decisions. :v:

Kyrosiris posted:

If I skipped the whole Facebook stuff, is there a way to eventually make my phone-tied park my Facebook park? Alternatively, can I back up/restore my park data somehow?

There's some park merging code server side but I'm entirely not sure how it's supposed to work (98% of my work was on the Android client), and it will need some improvements if I add in Google accounts as another method of authentication.

So at this point the simplest answer is probably "no", but the support team is pretty good about helping people find lost parks if something terrible happens.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bleusilences posted:

Anomaly. Radiant Defense. Sentinel 3.

cash
Nov 28, 2007

Rehabilitated Road Bully
:rice:

Im not able to dl the additional data needed for Spectral Souls :( Have followed every step of their in-app FAQ. Bummer. :bang:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

UraniumAnchor posted:

There's some park merging code server side but I'm entirely not sure how it's supposed to work (98% of my work was on the Android client), and it will need some improvements if I add in Google accounts as another method of authentication.

So at this point the simplest answer is probably "no", but the support team is pretty good about helping people find lost parks if something terrible happens.

Alright, that's cool. Where does the game store my park if it's a local one, in case I want to back it up? I don't want to lose my babies. :ohdear:

rgrdgr Blitz
Feb 2, 2006

Grand Mastar Bizhoe
Hey goons,

I partook in the development of a recently released tablet-exclusive for iOS and Android:
Roaming Fortress

I was technical artist on the project, focusing mostly on visual effects, asset and animation integration, and some basic AI...
The game is free to download and play for the first campaign, we have more on the way in January. We even put a playable build on the web where you can try out the first 3 levels of the game.
So please check it out and let me/us know what you think :)

Watch our quaint little trailer too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESI5sqNqn2w

rgrdgr Blitz fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 30, 2012

cash
Nov 28, 2007

Rehabilitated Road Bully
:rice:

[/quote]

Would be good if I could play this game on my Note 2 :colbert:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

cash posted:

Would be good if I could play this game on my Note 2 :colbert:

Phablet isn't a tablet :colbert:

I agree that it's frustrating that it's tablet only, but I can see why they did it. There's a lot of stuff on the screen and it's all pretty small, even at ten inches. It would probably be difficult to get it down to 5.5 inches, though I have no idea what it looks like at 7 inches.

rgrdgr Blitz
Feb 2, 2006

Grand Mastar Bizhoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Phablet isn't a tablet :colbert:

I agree that it's frustrating that it's tablet only, but I can see why they did it. There's a lot of stuff on the screen and it's all pretty small, even at ten inches. It would probably be difficult to get it down to 5.5 inches, though I have no idea what it looks like at 7 inches.

That's exactly why. We thought it played pretty well on 7 inch devices, obviously the targets are a little smaller though.

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005
I picked up Knights of Pen and Paper and I'm loving it. But I noticed the game description mentions two campaigns. I assume the Black Mage story is one of them. What is the other one supposed to be?

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

thenakedflip posted:

I picked up Knights of Pen and Paper and I'm loving it. But I noticed the game description mentions two campaigns. I assume the Black Mage story is one of them. What is the other one supposed to be?

There was an Arena mode but they appear to have removed it completely with the most recent update. Not sure why.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

rgrdgr Blitz posted:

I partook in the development of a recently released tablet-exclusive for iOS and Android:
Roaming Fortress

Trailer sold me on it, I'll give it a whirl once I'm done with FF Dimensions. Thanks! Always love it when we have goons dropping in to tell us about games they've worked on.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Okay, so I picked up Baseball Superstars 2013 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gamevil.bb2013.global, and it's pretty fun but it seems to crash all the goddamn time occasionally - a lot of the time I'll have to view cutscenes two or three times to get them to go all the way through. The game's buggy as poo poo and could use an expanded tutorial mode, but if they fix whatever the gently caress the problem is it'll be a good little game.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
I've been playing Knights of Pen and Paper for a while now and my first team is just broken as hell. My team is Cleric, Paladin, Druid, Thief, and Mage. Since I got the hourglass I can take on any number of enemies- druid can hibernate enemies for 9 turns, and the stuns that the thief and mage can do last 2 turns, so at the end of round 2 I have 6 enemies unable to attack. My paladin's threat is to the point of where despite the fact that his attack is the weakest in the party, enemies have a 75% chance of choosing him to attack, and his holy shield and high health let him just soak everything that comes at him. The cleric I would probably switch out given the chance, but she can weaken the enemies that are going to get their hits in and can top up the paladin's health when it comes to it.

My characters are all around level 25 and are easily doing quests that are 10+ levels above them. Does the game ever get hard or have I just broken the hell out of it?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The point of all RPGS is to start off weak, figure out some way to break the game halfway through, then cruise to the end until you meet some bonus boss that has 100x the HP and damage of anything normal then grind until you kill it.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Kyrosiris posted:

Alright, that's cool. Where does the game store my park if it's a local one, in case I want to back it up? I don't want to lose my babies. :ohdear:

The park is still stored server-side, but if you reinstall or switch phones you'll lose the park key. I'm pushing to have this changed to be keyed off the device ID (not the serial, that's something else), but I don't know if I'll be able to get it in before I leave for AGDQ. Even if you do lose the park key, support can *probably* get it back, though I'm entirely sure what the process is.

Google Account login is certainly going to have to wait until I get back.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

I've been playing Knights of Pen and Paper for a while now and my first team is just broken as hell. My team is Cleric, Paladin, Druid, Thief, and Mage. Since I got the hourglass I can take on any number of enemies- druid can hibernate enemies for 9 turns, and the stuns that the thief and mage can do last 2 turns, so at the end of round 2 I have 6 enemies unable to attack. My paladin's threat is to the point of where despite the fact that his attack is the weakest in the party, enemies have a 75% chance of choosing him to attack, and his holy shield and high health let him just soak everything that comes at him. The cleric I would probably switch out given the chance, but she can weaken the enemies that are going to get their hits in and can top up the paladin's health when it comes to it.

My characters are all around level 25 and are easily doing quests that are 10+ levels above them. Does the game ever get hard or have I just broken the hell out of it?

I just beat the poo poo out of the final boss. I'm going to start a new game with only two or three characters. A healer, a tank, and a damage dealer. So Cleric, Paladin, and Ranger. I'm just not going to use any offensive skills on the cleric. If that's too easy after 400 days, I'll go to just a Paladin and a Ranger.

Or I'll set my team up with combos that make no sense, the character that increases threat on the mage, ect...

When are the expansions coming out?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

UraniumAnchor posted:

The park is still stored server-side, but if you reinstall or switch phones you'll lose the park key. I'm pushing to have this changed to be keyed off the device ID (not the serial, that's something else), but I don't know if I'll be able to get it in before I leave for AGDQ. Even if you do lose the park key, support can *probably* get it back, though I'm entirely sure what the process is.

Google Account login is certainly going to have to wait until I get back.

Alright, that's a relief. Thanks, UA. :)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

rgrdgr Blitz posted:

Hey goons,

Roaming Fortress

I was technical artist on the project, focusing mostly on visual effects, asset and animation integration, and some basic AI...
The game is free to download and play for the first campaign, we have more on the way in January. We even put a playable build on the web where you can try out the first 3 levels of the game.
So please check it out and let me/us know what you think :)

Watch our quaint little trailer too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESI5sqNqn2w

I feel like this would be cool if I could play it on my SGS3. Resolution is 720p :\

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

That's not even broken. You're still taking too long to finish fights.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I feel like this would be cool if I could play it on my SGS3. Resolution is 720p :\

Screen is way too small for it.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

This is pretty awesome. I'm digging it. Playing it on my nexus 7 and it doesn't seem too small, but I could see anything smaller being a pain. Sweet game you guys came out with and it's refreshing that it's not much like other games I've played recently.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey, so someone in this thread mentioned the game Cytus which is a pretty drat cool rhythm game that everyone should get and play. It's got a decent variety of genres (though the total song count is rather low at the moment, at 32 I think), and the songs are generally of high quality (My favourite). It's slightly annoying in that what the free version does is impose an arbitrary waiting period in-between plays, but the game is well worth the 2 dollars to take that away IMO.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Just picked up Battle Cats. Seems pretty cool though far. Invite code is 5ic27.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I don't know if this is a glitch or intentional, but when I play Gurk, the "Buy Gurk 2" banner at the bottom of the screen covers half of the bottom row of gameplay buttons. Almost half the time when I attempt press one of those buttons, I accidentally click the banner.

I hope it isn't intentional, because I was almost certainly going to buy Gurk 2 before this.

Edit: It hasn't been updated since last year and I don't see anything else in the reviews, so it's probably just a JB glitch or something.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 31, 2012

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I'm addicted to Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon, so I got Lowly Blocks, but is there anything that is less ugly/plays a little smoother?

Might just go for a SNES emulator...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I decided to check out Sonic Jump. For a pretty blatant Doodle Jump clone with a Sonic the Hedgehog skin the game seems to be fairly decent. It adds some new things to the formula such as a double jump (which is incredibly useful) and mini goals (like collect 50 rings in a level), and there's a story mode that seems pretty lengthy.

• Locked thread