Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

xwonderboyx posted:

The tape is inaccurate and all but you have to be :btroll: fat to tape over 20-something. Jesus christ.

The guy was insanely fat. I ran into him in Kuwait while I was on EML and he had shed like 150 pounds and looked like a normal person again. I guess being on a line unit for the first time in his seven year career really helped him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

vacation in kabul posted:

and as he trots up to meet him and get dressed down the SGM notices he has pin-on E-5 rank (everything was supposed to sewed) that he had drawn a rocker under with a permanent marker. The asschewing was epic and hilarious.

That's not the real point of the story though. That guy got a perfect NCOER following all of this poo poo and was recently promoted to E-7. gently caress you Army.

I can't stop laughing like an idiot at this

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I did some part-time instructing at Annapolis; working as an officer-instructor on the YP summer cruises. One one cruise we're in New York harbor and the track line has us turning south to exit the harbor. As we approached the turn, I hear "Left Standard Rudder" called out by the senior midshipman on the watch (a firstie). The would-be sophomore turns the helm left and nobody had bothered to look out the windows at the giant tank barge 100 meters to port.

Same cruise; my fellow officer-instructor was this ensign who had just graduated Annapolis. I came up for watch one night and only the mids were in the pilothouse. I asked where's Ensign so-and-so and they told me she was sleeping. Aft and outside the pilothouse she was curled up on the deck under a ventilator, blanket, pillow and all, fast asleep.

Lastly, dumb officer gun stuff. Going on an IA deployment, we were doing the Army NIACT course in Fort Jackson and they had us doing a night fire in two lines. the first line is supposed to shoot and the second to wait until the first is done. Perhaps it was the DI's fault, but one of the officers drew his M9 and fired from the second line while a shooter was in front of him. Good thing he was a poor shot.

A former CO thought he was a badass because he would always have a shoulder rig or some other tricked out poo poo because he thought it looked cool. He would insist on being the right-most shooter on the line and would muzzle half his unit when he drew his weapon.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."
I can't say I personally witnessed this unfortunately, but I almost lost my poo poo studying the BMT manual in line for chow when I found the part in the back that says "Do not fill your canteens with toilet water." Not only did it happen, but it happened enough that they had to put it in the loving book. :psyduck:

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
gently caress officers and any other goober that wears a shoulder holster rig.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

TheUnhorse posted:

gently caress officers and any other goober that wears a shoulder holster rig.

What about the ultra-tactical detachable chest-mounted holster rig?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

celestial teapot posted:

I can't say I personally witnessed this unfortunately, but I almost lost my poo poo studying the BMT manual in line for chow when I found the part in the back that says "Do not fill your canteens with toilet water." Not only did it happen, but it happened enough that they had to put it in the loving book. :psyduck:

Depending on where you are and what's been going on toilet water can be one of your more reliable sources of safe potable water (get it from the tank, not the bowl, of course)

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Shoulder holsters were entirely acceptable in most field exercises, as you would not even be given a mag - empty or not - to load in your weapon. Doubly so considering that if you are wearing the nomex onesie, you actually don't have belt loops. That poo poo is not cool on the range.

I used a thigh rig, not to be super cool, but it's about the only thing that you can comfortably wear for long periods of time in the driver's hull of a tank. Either that or that lovely green canvas holster that has the tie down loop break all the time, and even then you've got to hang it off the front of your belt so it doesn't get in the way of the controls. This has the disadvantage of pointing your gat directly at yo dick.

Admiral Bosch posted:

What about the ultra-tactical detachable chest-mounted holster rig?

A shameful officer.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Another officer in my command wore a shoulder rig and didn't secure it; and with some herky-jerky motions (God knows why) sent his M9 flying across the toc. Since he was an O6, he made everyone attend firearms safety refresher training. Everyone but him, of course.

My CO also wore an overly large combat knife and would frequently eschew wearing his blouse so he could appear more combat grizzled.

We also had this douchebag SEAL-wannabe in our unit who wore UDT shorts and his socks rolled over his boots. The real SEALs laughed at him all the time.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 29, 2012

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I've got a lot of gems in my mind, but my memory is horrible so I don't remember many details except for a few of some stories.

One I remember quite clearly: We were near the end of our deployment in Baghdad, and were sent a bunch of replacements after losing a lot of people. One particular baby brand new Private just out of basic was stuck in my squad. On his first patrol someone decided to throw him in the driver's seat. I'm pretty sure it was one of those multiple people failing to check type things, but this kid had no civilian driver's license, military license, and had never even touched a steering wheel in his entire god damned life. He gets thrown into the lead humvee in our patrol, and somehow is doing fine in the middle of our sector. Then out of nowhere he just slams on his brakes, giving me no time to slam on mine. Cue my humvee crushing its front bumper, and lots of yelling on the radio. The TC leaps out his driver seat, rips this kid out of his seat to start driving himself. Not that this kid was particularly dumb, he was just an extremely naive and inexperienced private. But who the hell joins the army and never learned how to drive :psyduck:

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Man, being from the Navy I am used to seeing terrible shooters (probably one myself), but holy gently caress, I don't know how you guys still go to the range with these clowns.
Only good gun story I have:
We were doing our rifle qual at a private indoor range in SD because the one on point loma was booked or some poo poo. This twitchy ET managed to put his rifle on full auto instead of single,
they give us the go ahead to fire
and he pulls the trigger
and empties his magazine
into the ceiling of the gun range.
Needless to say the owners were thrilled with us, and I don't believe we were allowed back again.

When I was in bootcamp we had some poor barely functional kid who couldn't stamp his uniform items to save his life. Every SINGLE time he opened up his kit, he made a loving mess. Ink on his hands, on his face, smeared on the floor, everywhere but on his uniforms. I think they actually ended up kicking him out for that, but I mean, if you can't operate a stamp kit...

I remember the moment when I realized what I was really getting myself into with the Navy. Instead of sleeping at night, half my bootcamp division would congregate in one corner of our compartment and practice singing and dancing.

SentSix
Jul 19, 2001

Mike-o posted:

But who the hell joins the army and never learned how to drive :psyduck:

I'll see and raise you - I regret learning to drive a manual transmission before enlisting. Mother gently caress all five tons. I'm sure if I'd stayed in I'd be an E-7 driving anything that wasn't an automatic on any movement. loving kids.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

MoraleHazard posted:

Another officer in my command wore a shoulder rig and didn't secure it; and with some herky-jerky motions (God knows why) sent his M9 flying across the toc. Since he was an O6, he made everyone attend firearms safety refresher training. Everyone but him, of course.

That's it, ban handguns. loving people, holy poo poo.

quote:

We also had this douchebag SEAL-wannabe in our unit who wore UDT shorts and his socks rolled over his boots. The real SEALs laughed at him all the time.

Had this mechanic at my last unit, PFC, who the other dudes used to make fun of all the time. Used to call him high speed, delta force, poo poo like that. Turns out that he thought he was something special, and someone had finally recognized it, because he got one of those generic letters from Special Operations Recruiting Branch saying "yo, you should totally try out for special forces, bro". He thought he was the only one that got it.

I also had at least half a dozen dudes that I know of in my basic training company that never had licenses before they jumped in a HMMWV or a tank. Actually, my current unit, dude had been driving Bradley's around Korea and didn't have a driver's license, just got it a couple of weeks ago.

Only one dude in my platoon other than me can drive stick, but I wasn't even aware that we had anything that wasn't automatic.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

That driving poo poo reminds me of my most recent couseling. Last July, I was given an initial counseling by my new platoon sergeant. It was the normal poo poo, goals blah blah blah..except for one weird part. I am required to get a civilian driver's license.

What?

So I ask him about that. I mean, we're a loving National Guard unit, who the hell doesn't have one except for the occasional high school kid? SSG tells me that he put it on everyone's paperwork so the one idiot (Mr. Trashcan Fag Diver from before) wouldn't feel singled out. There was also "get a job" and "go to college" on there, too. I hate my unit so much.

I don't even understand how it's possible to have been in the Guard for *three* loving years with a 3 hour round-trip to the armory and not have one by now. That means his grandpa (who is cool and a WW2 navy vet) has been driving this moron back and forth the whole time. IMO this is just proof that enlisted genes degrade overtime or maybe even experience high rates of mutation. Don't get excited though, it's like getting bit by a radioactive horse and instead of getting a massive schlong, you turn into a brony.

MoraleHazard posted:

Lastly, dumb officer gun stuff. Going on an IA deployment, we were doing the Army NIACT course in Fort Jackson and they had us doing a night fire in two lines. the first line is supposed to shoot and the second to wait until the first is done. Perhaps it was the DI's fault, but one of the officers drew his M9 and fired from the second line while a shooter was in front of him. Good thing he was a poor shot.

Are you sure it was the DS or maybe the officer who apparently never fired a weapon at a range before? Jackson ranges are pretty obvious with the firing and standby positions. Every range I've seen has a firing pit + 1-2 places to sit/stand awkwardly per lane. Unless you guys stood directly behind each other in the same lane?

:raise:

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Mike-o posted:

But who the hell joins the army and never learned how to drive :psyduck:

In OSUT I rode with a kid who was like Booger from Revenge of the Nerds and had the pleasure of riding in the back of an M3 and it was literally the first vehicle he had ever driven in his life. It was scary!

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

old dog child posted:

That driving poo poo reminds me of my most recent couseling. Last July, I was given an initial counseling by my new platoon sergeant. It was the normal poo poo, goals blah blah blah..except for one weird part. I am required to get a civilian driver's license.

What?

So I ask him about that. I mean, we're a loving National Guard unit, who the hell doesn't have one except for the occasional high school kid? SSG tells me that he put it on everyone's paperwork so the one idiot (Mr. Trashcan Fag Diver from before) wouldn't feel singled out. There was also "get a job" and "go to college" on there, too. I hate my unit so much.

I don't even understand how it's possible to have been in the Guard for *three* loving years with a 3 hour round-trip to the armory and not have one by now. That means his grandpa (who is cool and a WW2 navy vet) has been driving this moron back and forth the whole time. IMO this is just proof that enlisted genes degrade overtime or maybe even experience high rates of mutation. Don't get excited though, it's like getting bit by a radioactive horse and instead of getting a massive schlong, you turn into a brony.

Are you sure it was the DS or maybe the officer who apparently never fired a weapon at a range before? Jackson ranges are pretty obvious with the firing and standby positions. Every range I've seen has a firing pit + 1-2 places to sit/stand awkwardly per lane. Unless you guys stood directly behind each other in the same lane?

:raise:

Bingo. The standby line was under the wooden shelter, the normal firing area, while the actual shooting line was forward, in the lane, doing draw and shoot drills (i forget the official name for those) in the dark anywhere from on top of to about 15 meters from the target.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I had a student at nuke school who had never worn shoes prior to the Navy.

He was horrible at everything except for tests. He was so bad that there was another student assigned to supervise him during cleaning time to make sure he didnt burn himself or otherwise injure himself in the plant.

He graduated and went to my old ship.

The Reactor Officer (O-6) was watching propulsion transients in the control room with this genius as throttleman. They order an all-ahead flank cavitate (go as fast as you can, as fast as you can) and everyone does the right thing. Three of the for shafts start turning much faster as their throttlemen answer the bell. My darling child's shaft is still spinning the same though. What happened? He gets a warning light on his control panel and stares at it. It didn't mean anything important but he had no clue what to do about it. The RO, rather angry, shouts "What's that light on your panel?" "Uh, I dunno" "What are you going to do about it?" "I dunno" "Are you going to answer the ordered bell?" "Uhhhhhh" "WATCH OFFICER! GET THIS MAN RELIEVED!"

Someone else came down, ship's course was corrected, everything worked out fine.

Except for my darling student.

The Reactor Officer grabbed his training folder took him to his stateroom and started asking him questions about standing throttleman. After that, he went through his other watchstations asking him questions about that. He finally went through and asked him questions pertaining to the plant in general. The result? He shredded my star pupil's training record and made him start over requalifying everything from scratch. I heard he went sadpanda after that.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

KetTarma posted:

There were men like that in my grandpa's army unit, though that was 1944. Where was he from? Also, what does going "sadpanda" mean?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Kavak posted:

Also, what does going "sadpanda" mean?

South Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6vPRaIrvqU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Kavak posted:

There were men like that in my grandpa's army unit, though that was 1944. Where was he from? Also, what does going "sadpanda" mean?

I can't remember his name, much less where he was from.

In the nuclear community, going "sadpanda" means informing someone that you have suicidal thoughts. This immediately gets you removed from a duty status and usually permanently disqualifies you from nuclear duty. It is the fastest way to go "I quit!" and is commonly used by junior enlisted to inact an instantaneous transfer to another department that doesn't work 90 hour weeks.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

KetTarma posted:

I can't remember his name, much less where he was from.

In the nuclear community, going "sadpanda" means informing someone that you have suicidal thoughts. This immediately gets you removed from a duty status and usually permanently disqualifies you from nuclear duty. It is the fastest way to go "I quit!" and is commonly used by junior enlisted to inact an instantaneous transfer to another department that doesn't work 90 hour weeks.

I never met a single guy that dropped out of nuke school that regretted it. Especially after they had been on the boat and saw the poo poo the fleet nukes had to do.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
That depends. A lot of those guys who tell you how happy they are they de-nuked while they're de-clogging the poo poo pumps for the third time have a tone awfully similar to the guys who tell you how oh sure they could've been SEALs but they totally got shin splints on the run at BUDS or some crap and now they're really happy as regular old hull techs.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
yeah going from nuke drop to sub a-gang is terrible but nuke drop to carrier engineering department?? owns

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
CSC (E-7 cook) getting busted doing the nasty with an E-3 crank 15 years younger than him. In the Supply Office. By the SUPPO. The night before the ship's commissioning ceremony. The CO made CSC call his wife in front of him to explain his sudden transfer to a different command and the reason behind it.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I probably posed these in one of the prior Idiot Private threads, but it bears repeating.

I don't know what the gently caress is up with Marines and cars. One guy, fresh off deployment, spent his entire Iraq wad on a brand-new 300M, like $20k as a down payment, then financed 20" rims for it through one of 29 Palms' local AUTO PERFORMANCE garages. He could only afford to fill the gas tank once or twice a month. There was another guy that blew his Iraq wad (and tax-free reenlistment bonus) on a BMW, put something like $30k down on a BMW M3. The payments ended up eating like 3/5 of his monthly paychecks. But the best part was the he got several DUI's off-base, and there was a warrant for his arrest in San Diego. He actually took leave to serve a 3 week jail sentence :psypop:

I worked in S-1 as a legal clerk for like 8 months. There was a guy who checked into the unit as an E-5 on friday, bought a motorcycle in Palm Springs on Saturday, and was involved in a drunken high-speed chase with the sheriff's department on Sunday. So we're getting calls from the sheriff on Monday, and this guy is not even on the updated alpha roster yet. He was busted down to E-3 pretty quickly.

There was 3rd-award Private Buckmaster. The day he gets off restriction for some underage drinking and stupid bullshit (I think it involved pointing a used AT-4 at passing cars), he and this other drunken loving idiot terminal private get plastered and drive off base to do donuts in the Blockbuster parking lot. They end up running from the cops and wrecking. While Pvt. Idiot is in the passenger seat unconscious, Buckmaster crawled out of the wreckage and started jerking off. That's how the cops found him, it was in the police report.

E: From the last Idiot Privates thread:

red19fire posted:

I just remembered another one. We were in a morning company formation, and the 1stSgt stopped whatever he was reading and made a beeline for a dipshit 2nd award PFC in the first row. He had a camo-colored livestrong bracelet on.

:black101:(he was an ex-DI, and knew every god drat regulation, ever) USMC regulation ######## clearly states that the only allowable wrist adornments are a watch with a nonreflective black band. What the gently caress is that on your wrist?
:v:It's a bracelet from the support the troops foundation!
:black101:TAKE IT OFF! YOU ARE THE loving TROOPS, rear end in a top hat!

Another time, getting ready to deploy, literally forming up before loading onto the buses to go to the plane to Iraq. This PFC jumps out of the car driving him to the assembly area, says he's 'trying to kill himself' and claims he should stay behind due to mental anguish or something. The Sergeant Major (now SM of the MC :ssh:) throws him on the bus because he doesn't want to deal with that bullshit. This rear end in a top hat spent the entire deployment inside the wire, carrying an unloaded weapon (he didn't even have bullets) and doing every chickenshit working party that came up.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 1, 2013

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

quote:

There was 3rd-award Private Buckmaster. The day he gets off restriction for some underage drinking and stupid bullshit (I think it involved pointing a used AT-4 at passing cars), he and this other drunken loving idiot terminal private get plastered and drive off base to do donuts in the Blockbuster parking lot. They end up running from the cops and wrecking. While Pvt. Idiot is in the passenger seat unconscious, Buckmaster crawled out of the wreckage and started jerking off. That's how the cops found him, it was in the police report.

Someone mentioned putting stories in the Dick Art coffee table book; this story has to go in the book.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Happy New Year, Goons! Let's get this one started off right, with a dumb fire fighter story!

So, one of our local departments is responding "lights and sirens" to a suspected house fire. Well, the operator of the engine tells the firefighter in the officer's seat that "Well, the sirens in this rig are down, so you'll need to make siren noises over the PA system." "Okay" she says, and off they go down the street, lights on, and the officer making siren noises over the PA system. And she's getting really into it, changing up to the horn at the intersections like you're supposed to and everything.

Well, maybe about a minute into their run, someone hears dispatch calling out over the radio for the Engine to "check for an open mic". You see, instead of grabbing the microphone for the PA system, she'd gone and grabbed the microphone for the radio. And was on the dispatch channel. For the entire region. Making siren noises.

She's still there. I think she's a Deputy Chief now or something.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Val Helmethead posted:

Happy New Year, Goons! Let's get this one started off right, with a dumb fire fighter story!

So, one of our local departments is responding "lights and sirens" to a suspected house fire. Well, the operator of the engine tells the firefighter in the officer's seat that "Well, the sirens in this rig are down, so you'll need to make siren noises over the PA system." "Okay" she says, and off they go down the street, lights on, and the officer making siren noises over the PA system. And she's getting really into it, changing up to the horn at the intersections like you're supposed to and everything.

Well, maybe about a minute into their run, someone hears dispatch calling out over the radio for the Engine to "check for an open mic". You see, instead of grabbing the microphone for the PA system, she'd gone and grabbed the microphone for the radio. And was on the dispatch channel. For the entire region. Making siren noises.

A a couple guys I work with were installing telephone, coax, and PA into a new building a long time ago. As they were in there by themselves on of them thought he'd make a funny test page on the local PA. Except somehow he ended up sending "TEST TEST TEST, YOUR MOM IS THE BEST" out as a basewide page. Every indoor PA speaker on base, plus the big horns on the HQ roof. Luckily for him nobody around here really cares about anything so stupid.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Val Helmethead posted:

We need more firefighting stories.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Casimir Radon posted:

A a couple guys I work with were installing telephone, coax, and PA into a new building a long time ago. As they were in there by themselves on of them thought he'd make a funny test page on the local PA. Except somehow he ended up sending "TEST TEST TEST, YOUR MOM IS THE BEST" out as a basewide page. Every indoor PA speaker on base, plus the big horns on the HQ roof. Luckily for him nobody around here really cares about anything so stupid.

If it was Army people that did this they'd write a policy letter about it and he'd have to go to training and then there would be microphone guard.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Mr. Nice! posted:

We need more firefighting stories.

Sure, why not?

So, here's a guy from my department. Well, at our department, almost everyone gets a nickname. Usually that means that we like them, or they did something stupid. This guy we called BEM, for "Bugger Eating Moron".

Well, BEM wasn't just a consumer of his own nose nuggets, though that was part of why he earned his nickname. The other part was that he was a complete idiot. Couldn't do anything right, had to be told how to do things multiple times, all that stuff. Plus, the guy was one of those special souls who refused to shower for weeks on end. The stench coming off of him and his gear was the stuff of legends. It didn't help that he never brought bedding for when he bunked in at the station, so he'd routinely steal the bedding from inside the bunkrooms - stuff that belonged to the full time staff - whenever he bunked in. Wouldn't clean it afterwords either.

Now, all that is bad, but it's not enough to get you kicked out of the department per-se. But at this point no one really likes the guy. Any excuse to show him to the door would be good. And boy, did he give us that excuse.

A lot of fire department calls are for "smells and bells" - basically a fire alarm going off, or someone smelling an odd odor. These are also called "Bullshit calls", because maybe 1 in 100 is something serious enough to justify a fire engine actually being there. But we run these calls all the time for that 1 in 100 time. Well, one day there was a call for a smell of natural gas in a neighborhood. Not an uncommon thing, and definitely a "smells and bells" call. Typical response is we send a single engine to the scene, scope it out with our gas detection equipment, determine that there is absolutely no danger to anyone, and either call the gas company if there's a legitimate small leak, or maybe even if we can't find anything, just to be thorough. Usually for this sort of call we're responding non-emergency. We're getting there as soon as we can, but no lights or sirens, nothing fancy.

BEM got there first.

I don't know if he'd just sat through HAZMAT awareness or something, but he gets it into his mind that he's going to be a hero. So he starts running through people's back yards in the neighborhood in question, knocking on back doors and screaming about how there's a gas leak, and that they need to evacuate, and that he's a firefighter, so they should listen to him.

Our engine shows up with a pair of officers to find a couple of people standing in the street, wondering where they are supposed to evacuate to. BEM is still running around the back yards, knocking on doors. The "leak" is undetectable - probably just some car exhaust someone smelled walking down the street or something.

He's no longer with our department.

Bays_
Jan 31, 2006

KetTarma posted:

He was horrible at everything except for tests. He was so bad that there was another student assigned to supervise him during cleaning time to make sure he didnt burn himself or otherwise injure himself in the plant.

He graduated and went to my old ship.

The Reactor Officer (O-6) was watching propulsion transients in the control room with this genius as throttleman. They order an all-ahead flank cavitate (go as fast as you can, as fast as you can) and everyone does the right thing. Three of the for shafts start turning much faster as their throttlemen answer the bell. My darling child's shaft is still spinning the same though. What happened? He gets a warning light on his control panel and stares at it. It didn't mean anything important but he had no clue what to do about it. The RO, rather angry, shouts "What's that light on your panel?" "Uh, I dunno" "What are you going to do about it?" "I dunno" "Are you going to answer the ordered bell?" "Uhhhhhh" "WATCH OFFICER! GET THIS MAN RELIEVED!"

Someone else came down, ship's course was corrected, everything worked out fine.

Except for my darling student.

The Reactor Officer grabbed his training folder took him to his stateroom and started asking him questions about standing throttleman. After that, he went through his other watchstations asking him questions about that. He finally went through and asked him questions pertaining to the plant in general. The result? He shredded my star pupil's training record and made him start over requalifying everything from scratch. I heard he went sadpanda after that.

That's so weird. We currently have a Nuke drop here who struck into AE. He never wore shoes until the Navy as well. Hes from North Carolina and has a tendency to gently caress anything that moves.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Earl Gray posted:

a tendency to gently caress anything that moves.

That's an important skill to learn, it is a far better way to ensure you have a warm place to sleep in an unfamiliar port than getting arrested, and it's one many junior sailors do a poor job of picking up on, so at least the guy has demonstrated he is trainable

Socal Sapper
Jan 5, 2013
Awesome thread!

I had a guy in my platoon that I deployed to Iraq with in 2003. We'll call him Private Fucktard. Before we deployed Private Fucktard and I both got promoted to E-2 and according to my PS this was so that we wouldn't die without any rank. After getting nailed in the collar bones by all of the E-3s and above in my platoon Private Fucktard went on all night about how he was going to get promoted to Sergeant by the end of the deployment and that it was going to be so bad rear end that we would be getting Silver Stars n poo poo. Well Private Fucktard didn't get promoted to Sergeant by the end of that year long deployment. Private Fucktard forgot his rifle before going on patrol twice, fell asleep during guard duty 3 times, had 2 negligent discharges and threatened to kill himself and thus putting him on suicide watch once. This guy was so hosed that eventually when he forgot his rifle for the second time, his squad leader made him carry a broomstick during a village sweep. The fun doesn't stop there though, when we got back to the states Private Fucktard hosed this E-6's wife and got caught and subsequently got his rear end handed to him. He also went AWOL twice before finally getting kicked out.

The Army was pretty awesome, but people like this made me realize that some people are just hosed from the get go.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
A few years ago, there was an A1C I worked with who never should have been in Intel, let alone the Air Force. First of all, the main reason he joined was because he knocked up his high school girlfriend and had no job prospects. I honestly have no idea how he made it through tech school, let alone basic. Interestingly enough, his student records from Goodfellow somehow got lost. Anyway, this wunderkind had a habit of showing up late for work, could not grasp the basic concepts of the job he should be doing (despite constant training and retraining from his supervisor), and had no financial common sense. For example, he and his wife apparently wanted another kid, and insisted on getting all new baby furniture and clothes instead of using the stuff they still had from their first one. Never mind the fact that he needed to spend all that A1C pay on a 52" TV and all the latest game consoles. Eventually, when things got tight, he found a website for veterans in need. Keep in mind that this was set up for people returning from Iraq and Afghanistan who had real financial problems, not some dumbfuck Airman who can't manage his bills.

You would think that this would be enough to yank his clearance, but for some reason he stayed on the job. What eventually led to his downfall was his wife's 21st birthday party. Sometime during her drunkfest at base housing, she got spit-roasted by a couple of dudes. He walked in on this and naturally flipped his poo poo. However in the end, she ended up beating the poo poo out of him. He got picked up by the cops, lost his clearance, and spent some time working in the orderly room until he was Force Shaped out. One of the more incredulous things about this was that he asked everyone from the commander to his fellow Airmen for references to help him find a job.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I think I like spit-roasted better than fingercuffed.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
This just happened about an hour ago. I'm a contractor supporting an advisory team in Afghanistan right now. The ANA unit they advise asked for a Harris radio so they can talk to our TOC when they're on patrol. This is a pretty big gently caress-no because they're hugely sensitive items. Of course these are all 1LTs advising ANA COLs and poo poo, so they can't exactly say "gently caress no", so they say "The radios come as part of the M-ATVs", thinking that will kill it. Of course it doesn't, this goddamn retard Afgahn COL says "Oh... can we have a M-ATV then?"

A couple weeks ago they were at the range teaching ANA how to use the 249, and one of these idiots NDd it until it STARTED COOKING OFF. Seriously, he held the trigger so long ON ACCIDENT that it finished the chain on its own.

The guys on "our side" are so loving inept I'm almost more afraid of them than I am of the people actually shooting at us.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Pudgygiant posted:

This just happened about an hour ago. I'm a contractor supporting an advisory team in Afghanistan right now. The ANA unit they advise asked for a Harris radio so they can talk to our TOC when they're on patrol. This is a pretty big gently caress-no because they're hugely sensitive items. Of course these are all 1LTs advising ANA COLs and poo poo, so they can't exactly say "gently caress no", so they say "The radios come as part of the M-ATVs", thinking that will kill it. Of course it doesn't, this goddamn retard Afgahn COL says "Oh... can we have a M-ATV then?"

A couple weeks ago they were at the range teaching ANA how to use the 249, and one of these idiots NDd it until it STARTED COOKING OFF. Seriously, he held the trigger so long ON ACCIDENT that it finished the chain on its own.

The guys on "our side" are so loving inept I'm almost more afraid of them than I am of the people actually shooting at us.

Think about the idiots who join the US armed forces. Add to that the fact that they are too stupid to join the Taliban, Al Quaida, or whatever insurgent group is the flavor of the day, and you get the ANA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
They may really just be crazy geniuses. It's staggering how every single decision they make is not only the wrong one, but by far the worst possible choice. It's seriously Always Sunny levels of decision making. Like that time our LZ was only cleared for night flights and a bunch of them slept on the pad. Or the time they threw a clearly rabid dog over the HESCOs onto our side of the base.