Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

For the Gold Key stuff, that makes sense.

What does it mean when there's not even a listing in the Diamond database? Was it even released? I heard that some people got it but a few will always fall through the cracks.

I searched and couldn't even find an item code for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Oh poo poo, I had missed that Animal Man Omnibus. Preordering it now.

What's the final word on the Invisibles omni by the way? Does it fall to pieces or is it sturdier than what DC has accustomed us to?

Also, I'm not touching that new Batman Incorporated HC because if I do, I'm sure it will be regular sized, followed by a softcover only volume 2 with a mismatched spine.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

PelvicNerve posted:

Also, I'm not touching that new Batman Incorporated HC because if I do, I'm sure it will be regular sized, followed by a softcover only volume 2 with a mismatched spine.
Knowing DC, Volume 2 will be Deluxe-sized.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

redbackground posted:

Knowing DC, Volume 2 will be Deluxe-sized.
I'd agree if they hadn't hosed up Time and the Batman.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.

PelvicNerve posted:

What's the final word on the Invisibles omni by the way? Does it fall to pieces or is it sturdier than what DC has accustomed us to?

I read it cover-to-cover and the binding's stayed perfectly intact. It's not the easiest way to read the book, I'll give you that, but it IS the only way to read it oversized AFAIK.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

PelvicNerve posted:

We all hosed up by buying it and will compulsively re-buy it when they issue a Deluxe...

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

PelvicNerve posted:

No, that's my point: Vol. 1 (according to solicits) is going to be regular sized because it's got to fit in with the rest of the NEW 52 hardcovers. loving up collections is DC's bread and butter.

Time and Batman was definitely a low point, and those first 3 issues should have just been included with Return of Bruce Wayne or something.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

redbackground posted:

No, that's my point: Vol. 1 (according to solicits) is going to be regular sized because it's got to fit in with the rest of the NEW 52 hardcovers. loving up collections is DC's bread and butter.

Time and Batman was definitely a low point, and those first 3 issues should have just been included with Return of Bruce Wayne or something.

I thought some of the New 52 were oversized? Or am I misremembering and it was just that some were HC and some TPB?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bairfanx posted:

I thought some of the New 52 were oversized? Or am I misremembering and it was just that some were HC and some TPB?
I haven't seen any (but I'm wrong all the time!). Maybe (hopefully) Batwoman was oversized at least?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 28, 2012

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

redbackground posted:

Maybe (hopefully) Batwoman was oversized at least?

Nope. loving DC making my shelf looks weird.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Alhazred posted:

Nope. loving DC making my shelf looks weird.

I must've just glanced at the hardcovers and assumed when I saw them next to the TPBs. I haven't had any desire to buy the collected editions yet. I think Batman Inc is probably the only one, and I'll certainly be waiting on that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I was fooled because it said the Deluxe Edition where I ordered it from.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
:frogsiren: ATTENTION: IT'S A BSS RAFFLE! WHAAAAT?! :frogsiren:

In celebration of a New Year, between now and Midnight, Eastern Standard Time, January 7th, 2013, anyone who posts at least one photo of their comic bookshelves will be entered into a random drawing to win a Custom Title gift certificate (a $5.00 value! :eyepop:). Now's your chance to change that crusty old avatar you've been holding on to for years at no cost to you! This contest is open to any Something Awful forum member except myself, and you must have some comic-related books in the photo. It doesn't matter if your books are stored in the finest Ikea-produced shelves available, or in a moldy cardboard box, just show off your stuff. You can post as many pictures as you want, but you will only be entered once. Good luck, one and all!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 28, 2012

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

redbackground posted:

In celebration of a New Year, between now and Midnight, Eastern Standard Time, January 7th, 2013, anyone who posts at least one photo of their comic bookshelves will be entered into a random drawing to win a Custom Title gift certificate (a $5.00 value!). This contest is open to any Something Awful forum member except myself, and you must have some comic-related books in the photo. It doesn't matter if your books are stored in the finest Ikea-produced shelves available, or in a moldy cardboard box, just show off your stuff. You can post as many pictures as you want, but you will only be entered once. Good luck, one and all!
Why not? Here's some old pictures of some of my comics:

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 28, 2012

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man
They need a little bit or organizing and straightening up.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I'm insanely jealous of anyone who has a nice looking comic collection, my comics have formed little clusters in various rooms in my house waiting for a time when they can be united.

Here you can see where a layer of various papers and bills which needs to be sorted but look more likely to be sandwiched under more comics/books. This is a bookcase from my childhood which explains the Star Wars stickers.

More from the same bookshelf.

Another bookshelf in another room.

Yet another bookshelf section, not fully pictured on the shelf beneath are my Scott Pilgrims and international politics textbooks. Also a second copy of Runaways Vol 2 which I've been meaning to sell and have never got around to.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Why not? Here's some old pictures of some of my comics:
Alhazred, your pics aren't showing up (on my end, at least).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

redbackground posted:

Alhazred, your pics aren't showing up (on my end, at least).

Are they showing up now?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Are they showing up now?
Yup!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Glenn is a bad influence.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Everyone always has neat shelves. My shelf spacing isn't uniform and my shelf just looks like the contents are perpetually spilling out.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Most of my TPBs:

Y The Last Man and custom-bound hardcovers here:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Here is some old ones

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 29, 2012

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
My new additions from Christmas (What to read first!?!?!!?)

Here's my meager collection.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Here's a portion of my collection and an even smaller portion of my figure collection.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

KingShiro posted:

My new additions from Christmas (What to read first!?!?!!?)
I honestly didn't even know a Remender Punisher Omnibus existed--sweet!

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.
Price inflation in Marvel Omnibuses:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's ridiculous. The Bendis Daredevils are exactly the same. You'd think it'd behoove Marvel to do some reprints, since there's clearly a demand. I guess the printing costs are too prohibitive?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Hakkesshu posted:

It's ridiculous. The Bendis Daredevils are exactly the same. You'd think it'd behoove Marvel to do some reprints, since there's clearly a demand. I guess the printing costs are too prohibitive?

I really wish they would because I'd love to get my hands on a Punisher MAX omnibus or a Fantastic Four volume 2 but I cannot justify paying like $300 or whatever. Seems like omnibuses are a pretty niche market though. People who buy comics in general are a niche audience, people that buy collections of comics are a smaller niche and people that buy gigantic collections of comics are even more so.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
drat, wish I'd hung on to the Punisher omni longer.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Happy Hippo posted:

People who buy comics in general are a niche audience, people that buy collections of comics are a smaller niche and people that buy gigantic collections of comics are even more so.

Actually people who buy collections of comics are larger than the people who buy comics. It's been that way for about ten years now.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Random Stranger posted:

Actually people who buy collections of comics are larger than the people who buy comics. It's been that way for about ten years now.

I did not know that. Also, has DC heard about this? Because their behavior indicates that they have not.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Happy Hippo posted:

I did not know that. Also, has DC heard about this? Because their behavior indicates that they have not.

The book store market is a bit different from the superhero market. That said, no one will ever truly understand the madness at the heart of DC's trade department...

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Random Stranger posted:

I feel that this doesn't actually include the people who buy ridiculously expensive collections of comics, though. Maybe it does, but I can't remember the last time I saw any gigantic hardcovers in bookstores. Borders used to occasionally get absolutes in, but I don't think I've ever seen them at a Barnes and Noble.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My B&N has Absolute Sandman and a bunch of omnibuses. The comics section is larger than normal as they have Fantagraphics' huge newspaper books like Prince Valiant and even two copies of Building Stories.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

al-azad posted:

My B&N has Absolute Sandman and a bunch of omnibuses. The comics section is larger than normal as they have Fantagraphics' huge newspaper books like Prince Valiant and even two copies of Building Stories.

I saw mine has 3 copies of Building Stories as well as one of the new annotated Sandman volumes (both of these priced at $50, I think? which is why I wasn't really counting them toward the $100-125 range of hardcovers) , but that's it for the bigger, pricey stuff. That's really cool that they actually have awesome, weird Fantagraphics stuff, though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

When you put it like that they rarely stock anything that's over $75. The most expensive comic I've seen were the Calvin & Hobbes hardcovers but hey, that's Calvin & Hobbes. They do carry a lot of small press stuff and half my collection came from B&N or while browsing their aisles. Ghost World, Dash Shaw's Bodyworld, Comics Journal, Black Hole and X'ed Out, Flight, and so on. I rarely see the same book within a month so I bet the small press guys get a lot of business in actual bookstores.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

redbackground posted:

In celebration of a New Year, between now and Midnight, Eastern Standard Time, January 7th, 2013, anyone who posts at least one photo of their comic bookshelves will be entered into a random drawing to win a Custom Title gift certificate (a $5.00 value! :eyepop:). Now's your chance to change that crusty old avatar you've been holding on to for years at no cost to you! This contest is open to any Something Awful forum member except myself, and you must have some comic-related books in the photo. It doesn't matter if your books are stored in the finest Ikea-produced shelves available, or in a moldy cardboard box, just show off your stuff. You can post as many pictures as you want, but you will only be entered once. Good luck, one and all!

Not pictured: New X-Men Omni :shobon:

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Is the I Kill Giants hardcover edition worth the extra money? Is it oversized or is it just extra stuff in the back? I've been meaning to pick it up and amazon has both but I'm not sure if I want to drop the extra 20 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazedByNatives
Jul 1, 2004

redbackground posted:

All right, here's my entry:

Below that, there's my Absolutes

Behind the softcovers are more softcovers - that space below the Aboslutes is pretty deep.

And here's the rest of the stuff that needs a place to live:

If those friggin' batman books were the same size, they'd be easy to showcase, but thanks to DC's trade policy, putting them all together looks incredibly sloppy.

RazedByNatives fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 3, 2013