Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

tef posted:

it is possible to abstract away all the ugly stuff with this approach. a json api would still require this work.

fortunately someone has already abstracted away all the json stuff for me a thousand times in every language, and even if that level of support did exist for it would enforce an unreasonable contract on the visual design of the site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

shops don't set their prices by OCRing the manufacturer's brochure

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

"wtf the picture of that model holding the phone was always on the LEFT hand side of the page with the price inset in red print three inches beneath and now you've switched it all around and made the font blue!! I'm going to have to rewrite EVERYTHING now you fuckwit"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its only scraping cause its html and html is poo poo. if you used xhtml then it would just be data and you format that data with whatever css/javascript you wanted.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Shaggar posted:

its only scraping cause its html and html is poo poo. if you used xhtml then it would just be data and you format that data with whatever css/javascript you wanted.

xlst

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

I think people making these apps are more concerned with getting stuff working and features into their hobby project rather than care about some spergy heuristics fallback mechanism for the scraping which wouldn't even be that hard to fix if something changed once in a blue moon.

yeah I guess

especially since in this case the scraped site continued to work fine so that's a pretty obvious fallback for users to use. "if one frontend doesn't work, i'll switch to another"

all in all a triumph for reliability thru quantity, not quality

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
tef i get what you're saying in that the promise not to break an interface is more important than if we get it via some programmatic interface or just via the site itself,. so i guess the question is how would you enforce that promise either way

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
tbh I think betamax kept working after the changes except it now thinks every forum has one page.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

WHOIS John Galt posted:

tef i get what you're saying in that the promise not to break an interface is more important than if we get it via some programmatic interface or just via the site itself,. so i guess the question is how would you enforce that promise either way

:tenbux:

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

brb tweaking the settings on my heuristical probability statistical k-means SANextPageButtonLinkFinder implementation

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

every tech firm and software consultancy i ever worked with claimed to have test suites and do tdd ... but i have never seen it in action

tests either always fail or are hopelessly incomplete or both

what do i know, i'm just here to clean up the bit vomit

i'm in a position at work where i get to dictate how lovely jr devs write their code, and my main edict is "DO TDD WRITE THE TESTS FIRST CHODEBREATH"

after 6 months of "well you probly shoulda written a test for that" they still won't write tests first or at all really

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

WHOIS John Galt posted:

and why would you enforce it on a webpage designed for humans when there's plenty of other easier ways of doing it

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

tef it looks like some rear end in a top hat is taking your posts (these sound a loving lot like your posts) and publishing them

http://programmingisterrible.com

just saw it posted on hacker news

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

lol

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

WHOIS John Galt posted:

tef it looks like some rear end in a top hat is taking your posts (these sound a loving lot like your posts) and publishing them

http://programmingisterrible.com

just saw it posted on hacker news

lol

(it's me, i'm the guy in the blog)

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

lol oh

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
ugh writing style is how the unabomber got caught

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
also haha #3 on hacker news. every day is a slow news day

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
basically it is recycled content from the arguments i've had on the internet.

(i.e yosposts)

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

I wonder if the author is simply trolling with the first post. He says:
"This myth has many forms, with many attempts to explain the magic power away in terms of some physical characteristics–
Programmers who have a penis are good Programmers who do not have a penis are bad If you believe in this in any way, it is highly likely that you are not only a terrible programmer, you are a terrible person too."
Then on his Twitter he proudly displays in all capitals "I AM A TERRIBLE PERSON"
https://twitter.com/tef/

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
move over jeff atwood, there's a new blowhard in town

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

php is terrible, tef is terrible,, tef is php

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
i just followed you on twitter in the hopes of seeing hen-night drag photos

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

HEY FOLKS I'm John Daly welc0me back to Whats my Line. Here is the next contestant:

MAN: HI i enjoy writing articals about my computer on the blog and i am inable to compute wihtout 7 korean ips monitors, 256 GB of ram, and 12 SSDs in a RADI-O configurations. If my computing needs are not met, I am inable to update my blog about the aforementioned subjects. Also, I am fat as gently caress as you can see. WHO AM I.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

deep square leg posted:

i just followed you on twitter in the hopes of seeing hen-night drag photos

i'm never shaving my legs again it was so much hassle seriously

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

lol britian what did you do to your own language

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I AM TEF
@iamtef
ARTIST, DIRECTOR, AUTHOR, PRODUCER AN CEO OF THE MOST POWERFUL INDI LABEL IN THE CAROLINA'S
ROCKY MOUNT,NC · http://www.iamtef.com

its u tef, u are the rockstar

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

tef posted:

lol

(it's me, i'm the guy in the blog)

Your post on the dichotomy of programmers should be required reading for the tech industry

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

tef posted:

people are messy.

god, i hate them so much

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
sig test

as seen on hacker news

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
tef please don't be so negative

life is worth living

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
it is worth living if only to wind up hacker news posters

i have a new hobby

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

tef posted:

i'm never shaving my legs again it was so much hassle seriously

yo shaving your knees SUCKS esp. if you have skinny knobbly knees like me

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

tef posted:

it is worth living if only to wind up hacker news posters

i have a new hobby

a truly noble calling

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Tiny Bug Child posted:

yo shaving your knees SUCKS esp. if you have skinny knobbly knees like me

yo tbc eat some pies mate

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sneaking Mission posted:

php is terrible, tef is terrible,, tef is php

tef is php

php is tef

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

tef is php

php is tef

not if you use ===

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

php's ternary operator is certainly terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

qntm posted:

php's ternary operator is certainly terrible

quote:

Since PHP 5.3, it is possible to leave out the middle part of the ternary operator. Expression expr1 ?: expr3 returns expr1 if expr1 evaluates to TRUE, and expr3 otherwise.

lolllllll