Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

redbackground posted:

:frogsiren: ATTENTION: IT'S A BSS RAFFLE! WHAAAAT?! :frogsiren:

In celebration of a New Year, between now and Midnight, Eastern Standard Time, January 7th, 2013, anyone who posts at least one photo of their comic bookshelves will be entered into a random drawing to win a Custom Title gift certificate (a $5.00 value! :eyepop:). Now's your chance to change that crusty old avatar you've been holding on to for years at no cost to you! This contest is open to any Something Awful forum member except myself, and you must have some comic-related books in the photo. It doesn't matter if your books are stored in the finest Ikea-produced shelves available, or in a moldy cardboard box, just show off your stuff. You can post as many pictures as you want, but you will only be entered once. Good luck, one and all!
I'm still out of town for the holidays so the only picture I have is from 5 or 6 months ago. My shelves have been updated quite a bit since then, but here's the old one. Yes, I recognize it needs reorganizing as it looks pretty ugly right now, but I tried to put the Iron Man collections some sort of order.

Here's the Christmas haul, which'll get added in at some point with all the other stuff I've gotten in the last several months. Sorry this picture turned out so dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

redbackground posted:

Guess I'll get in on this too

Not pictured: a big pile of poo poo next to my desk.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

redbackground posted:

I have no idea how to take photos of bookshelves well.

I also have no idea where to put Little Nemo, since...well, look at it.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Is the I Kill Giants hardcover edition worth the extra money? Is it oversized or is it just extra stuff in the back? I've been meaning to pick it up and amazon has both but I'm not sure if I want to drop the extra 20 bucks.

Not only is it oversized with extra material, but it also has an immeasurably better paper quality. Maybe the TPBs are better now, but every one I saw before was made with flimsy paper that seemed to absorb humidity and get wrinkly far easier than your average TPB. The hardcover is on beautiful paper and should last for years.

It is $20 more, but considering that I thought the TPB wasn't worth the paper it was printed on, it was a no-brainer for me.

Casyl posted:

Here's the Christmas haul, which'll get added in at some point with all the other stuff I've gotten in the last several months. Sorry this picture turned out so dark.
Hope someone gave you the receipt for Batman and Son...

GrandpaPants posted:

I want your problems.

bairfanx fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 3, 2013

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

GrandpaPants posted:

You're doing it wrong...

OR

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

How often do you guys even read your Marvel Omnibus collections? I want the New X-Men really badly but it seems unwieldy.

:sigh: Maybe I'm just picky. I'd much rather have such a big run divided into 3 oversized hardcovers. Hell, you'd probably make more money off me that way.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

A small collection:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

How often do you guys even read your Marvel Omnibus collections? I want the New X-Men really badly but it seems unwieldy.

I hold it in one hand while I curl 60 pound dumbbells with the other arm.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

:sigh: Maybe I'm just picky. I'd much rather have such a big run divided into 3 oversized hardcovers. Hell, you'd probably make more money off me that way.

I read them the same way I read any bible; on a special pedestal I setup for them in my study.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Yeah if a run I want is over 1000 pages I'm probably going to just get the TPBs/OSHCs in the future, you do spend a little more overall, but it'd be a whole lot more manageable.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

RevKrule posted:

I read them the same way I read any bible; on a special pedestal I setup for them in my study.

If I had room for it, I would so buy an Omnibus lectern.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

My bookcase:

And the "drat I Really Need Another Bookcase" nightstand overflow:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Great collection, xK1. Only the classiest of BSSers own all 3 Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck hardcovers :smug:

Only 4 more days to enter the raffle!

edit: math is hard

redbackground fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 4, 2013

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

redbackground posted:

Great collection, xK1. Only the classiest of BSSers own all 3 Life and Times of Uncle Scrooge hardcovers :smug:

Only 3 more days to enter the raffle!

The Gemstone "Life and Times.." single volume has over 30 more pages than the combined page count of the two BOOM HCs. I only own the Gemstone editions, I wonder what's different.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Glenn Danzig posted:

The Gemstone "Life and Times.." single volume has over 30 more pages than the combined page count of the two BOOM HCs. I only own the Gemstone editions, I wonder what's different.
Those 30 pages aren't part of what's in the Companion HC?

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Glenn Danzig posted:

There's a third Boom "companion volume", that could be the missing stuff.

Also I forgot a shelf:

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

xK1 posted:

There's a third Boom "companion volume", that could be the missing stuff.

redbackground posted:

Those 30 pages aren't part of what's in the Companion HC?

No, the Gemstone and BOOM companion volumes have the same page count.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Glenn Danzig posted:

The listing at Comicbookdb of the single Gemstone volume shows 268 pages (vs the 2 Boom HCs at a total of a similar 272--double checked my copies). Discrepancy!--you say yours is ~300 pages?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 4, 2013

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

redbackground posted:

The listing at Comicbookdb of the single Gemstone volume shows 268 pages (vs the 2 Boom HCs at a total of a similar 272--double checked my copies). Discrepancy!--you say yours is ~300 pages?

Looks like the page counts on amazon for the BOOM HCs are wrong.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I need more storage. I have some other stuff around my room as well as a box or two full of trades.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
It's a mix of photos, memorabilia, DVD sets, and stuff. However you wanted me to post my entire collection, no matter where it was housed. Ikea bookshelves assemble!

My artist friend was kind enough to arrange my books for me as payment to previous favors. (She loves Marko Djurdjevic. That book is covering my TPB run of 100 Bullets.) I am currently reading through Absolute Promethea volume 3.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

This is my meager bookshelf. Not pictured are a couple absolutes I got for Christmas and at the verrrry top is Wednesday Comics. For the love of god don't click this link because it goes ginormous.

It's already bowing on me, but it was a $20 Walmart job so meh. If ikea didn't want $400 shipping to my area I'd get a billy.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

The Missing Link posted:

It's already bowing on me, but it was a $20 Walmart job so meh. If ikea didn't want $400 shipping to my area I'd get a billy.

The Billy look the same and would also be bowing out on you...

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
What was the final verdict on the Invisibles omni? Is it sturdy and readable or does all the art get lost in the gutters and it feels like all the pages are going to fall out?

Mr Wind Up Bird fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 6, 2013

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The top of a bookcase counts as a bookcase, I guess.

Not pictured: books I am reading, books I lent out

I Before E fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 8, 2013

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

What was the final verdict on the Invisibles omni? Is it sturdy and readable or does all the art get lost in the gutters and it feels like all the pages are going to fall out?

It's good.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Alhazred posted:

It's good.

I can't speak for long-term durability because, you know, it's just been a few months, but the art is great, nothing's lost in the gutters.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
:frogsiren:
I've got a total of 19 entrants in the New Avatar Certificate Raffle, which is pretty good odds for all involved, and thanks to everyone who's posted photos already. There's still 12 hours left to enter, though: deadline is midnight tonight, EST. BSS Superstardom is a photograph away!

So far:
Glenn Danzig
Starsnostars
Alhazred
al-azad
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
bobkatt013
KingShiro
RevKrule
Nodoze
RazedByNatives
Casyl
Mr Wind Up Bird
GrandpaPants
Romav
xK1
Endless Mike
animeluva1
The Missing Link
I Before E

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 7, 2013

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Aw, what the hell, here are some lovely phone images of my modest collection. There's some manga hanging out on another shelf, notable Battle Angel and Blade of the Immortal as well as a Nausicaa boxset. The 4th volume of Elephantmen is kicking it out of frame as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Karnegal posted:

Aw, what the hell, here are some lovely phone images of my modest collection. There's some manga hanging out on another shelf, notable Battle Angel and Blade of the Immortal as well as a Nausicaa boxset. The 4th volume of Elephantmen is kicking it out of frame as well.

When did you break into my house? Same shelves, same paint, most of the same books.

Jesus, I'm gonna change my locks.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Does my Ultimate Spider-Man Omi and my Watchmen TPB count as a collection?

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Karnegal posted:

I want to flip the middle white book next to Abs Planetary to see if it forms an image between the three books but I know it won't. What are they?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

All the names were printed out on cards (each with a different pixel art superhero!) and were placed into the nearest bucket-type item I could find, which was a felt, robot, Easter basket...thing.

The Big Winner is...

:drum::drum::drum::drum:

KingShiro! (with classy pixel-Catwoman helpin' out)

PM me or post your email address so I can send you the gift certificate. Congratulations!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 8, 2013

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

The Missing Link posted:

I want to flip the middle white book next to Abs Planetary to see if it forms an image between the three books but I know it won't. What are they?

I'm almost positive those are Absolute Promethea.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

unl33t posted:

I'm almost positive those are Absolute Promethea.

That is correct.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

redbackground posted:

All the names were printed out on cards (each with a different pixel art superhero!) and were placed into the nearest bucket-type item I could find, which was a felt, robot, Easter basket...thing.

The Big Winner is...

:drum::drum::drum::drum:

KingShiro! (with classy pixel-Catwoman helpin' out)

PM me or post your email address so I can send you the gift certificate. Congratulations!

:woop::woop:

KingShiro fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 8, 2013

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Email sent!

(feel free to kill your email from your post if you want)

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

redbackground posted:

Email sent!

(feel free to kill your email from your post if you want)

Received. Thanks (now to think hard about what to get)

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

I'm actually curious what pixel character was on all the cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Missing Link posted:

I'm actually curious what pixel character was on all the cards.
I've still got them lying around. I'll take a group Glamour Shot later.