Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I guess it depends on if your definition of "fun" is :q: or :emo:

Basically screaming into the mic while I fishtail into everything. It rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Is there a horizon thread? I just picked horizon up and I thought I saw a thread banging around but I can't seem to find it. Does the car club cross games or do you join two clubs? I used to own forza 4 but I gave it away when all the bad racers stopped playing and I stopped winning ever. loving tuners! Also, I just started single player... is this game going to tone down the loving broooooo unskippable cut scenes any time soon? The gameplay is good but the sounds that come out of the tv when I'm not in a race are frankly embarrassing as an adult.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 3, 2013

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

ethanol posted:

Is there a horizon thread?

Yes. [url] http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3488727&pagenumber=39&perpage=40 [/url]

I'm pretty sure the only unskippable stuff is the opening video and the little tutorials the first time you race each event type.

You should probably turn down/off the in game music/radio, and your enjoyment will increase accordingly.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

IOwnCalculus posted:

The "clutch" is easily worked around by swapping clutch and handbrake. Unless you have teeny tiny broken girl thumbs, you can mash A/X at the same time to shift down and A/B at the same time to shift up - it's really forgiving on what counts as a good shift, and it is stupid how this results in a significant improvement to acceleration.

Racing line is tricky because it can teach you bad habits - at the very least there are quite a few corners in the game where with a better line than it suggests, and in a decent car, you can take it flat out when it wants you to stand on the brakes. You'll spot these as you play against the AI because they'll brake there too while you fly past them all.

On that note, can you shift with the accelerator engaged or, like a real automobile, do you have to ease off of the pedal? My son's been at his grandparents for the past week and is in the midst of a Halo 4 jaunt with his older brother (who has not interest in racing games), but he's called me a few times asking if I'm ready to race when he gets home tomorrow. He seems hesitant to want to use the clutch; hey, he's 10 and has never driven. But I think he's got enough twitch reflexes that I can probably explain the concept to him and combined with his button-mashing ability, he'll probably pick it up.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

You can keep the throttle held down while you shift.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You definitely can flat-shift it, though I think it penalizes you to do so (or it just sounds like poo poo hearing it bang off of the rev limiter, I don't know).

The thing I hate most about that stupid 'assist' is that it effectively means you have to drive cars that come with F1-style clutchless sequentials, as if you still had to mash a clutch in real life.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's no penalty for flat shifting in Forza.. you can't damage your engine from high revs unless the gear you select takes the engine above the limiter.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You don't need a wheel to drive fast. L Harrison is super fast and he uses a controller.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

xzzy posted:

There's no penalty for flat shifting in Forza.. you can't damage your engine from high revs unless the gear you select takes the engine above the limiter.
If the race is using Sim Damage, and your setup is to use Manual & Clutch, if you screw up and shift without using the clutch, your car will receive transmission damage. Banging it off the rev limiter, or shifting while staying on the accelerator, will not give your car any damage.

Cojawfee posted:

You don't need a wheel to drive fast. L Harrison is super fast and he uses a controller.
He's not a person, he's a robot programmed to play racing games.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

He's not a person, he's a robot programmed to play racing games.
Until you force him to use a wheel, and then he's mortal.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Keeping the gas up while shifting while not good for a road car, is used sometimes in cars with turbos to keep the turbo spooled up.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

real_scud posted:

Until you force him to use a wheel, and then he's mortal.

I don't think his deal with the devil included racing wheels, which was a bit of an oversight on his part if we're being honest.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

IOwnCalculus posted:

You definitely can flat-shift it, though I think it penalizes you to do so (or it just sounds like poo poo hearing it bang off of the rev limiter, I don't know).

The thing I hate most about that stupid 'assist' is that it effectively means you have to drive cars that come with F1-style clutchless sequentials, as if you still had to mash a clutch in real life.

I know I said it like 10 pages ago but a big wish item I have for the next Forza is a "real assist" where the car's assist profile is setup as it would be in real life (with the proper class adjustment to make it fair). So you can have death machine muscle cars and the latest autopilot supercar . The manual, man+clutch and automatic would be tied to that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've probably posted it multiple times but I'd love for the assists to actually work better, but cost PI (like AWD does). A car like the GT-R would have them enabled by default, and disabling them would open up some more PI for mods; a car like a Miata wouldn't have any of them but you could add them if you wanted. Modern ABS / stability / traction control systems absolutely can and do improve over even the best drivers, which is why they're banned in so many series.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm all for that, both having assists cost PI and making the default assists match what the car actually shipped as.

At the very least assists should have an impact on leaderboard rankings. It bugs the hell out of me to see top-ranked rivals times with TCS or STM enabled. ABS seems to make taking corners at the limit more challenging and the harder transmissions are faster so those are fine, but TCS and STM should add time.

I think the transmissions are where the most work is needed. There is nothing a clutch pedal will do to make a Veyron, M3, or even a GTI faster off the line, yet in Forza land flat shifting with a clutch is the only way to go. Torque converters aren't really simulated either, though I think CVTs are on a few cars.

I'd be all for going a bit stupidly realistic and making the automatic/manual choice (at least on the stock transmission) actually matter as much as it does in the real vehicles. Pick automatic in a RX-8 for example and prepare for pain as you get four gears with low shift points and a detuned engine.

VVV -- Obviously they're not going to actually model the specific behavior of the cars' assists, but it would make sense if what's enabled or available by default matched what the vehicle actually has. Pretty much nothing prior to the mid '80s should have any kind of electronic assists at all with both traction control and ABS starting to show up around then. Stability control was late '90s I think, right? Make them available with upgrades, but not by default.

Traction control should slow you down, but most of the more restrictive drag race rivals events seemed to have a lot of TCS users in the top 50, often in the top 10. I think the way the game simulates it makes the launch a lot easier when combined with manual+clutch on button clutches. On the higher powered cars it may have also made the 1-2 shift easier to manage. STM also really help stupidly overpowered cars stay on the track, so in some events you could basically pull a lesser version of the old Mopar + Viper engine trick by building a straight line car and using assists to get it around corners as fast as possible.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 4, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Traction control will slow you down as it cuts the throttle if it thinks you're going to lose traction. I don't think they are ever going to do per car assists because that would take too much time and resources. Electronic aids in a GT-R are going to be a lot more sophisticated than what's in a Ford from 1998. I doubt even whatever the next xbox is would be able to handle that. Though I've been saying since Forza 3 that cars should default to whatever transmission the car came with. So if a car has an automatic transmission, you are forced to use an automatic unless you swap out for a new one. I'm not saying they should model transmissions for each car, but have generic CVT, automatic, clutchless manuals and full manuals. It's stupid that you get into a super car that has no clutch pedal, but if you push a button in game, it magically shifts faster.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

wolrah posted:

I'd be all for going a bit stupidly realistic and making the automatic/manual choice (at least on the stock transmission) actually matter as much as it does in the real vehicles. Pick automatic in a RX-8 for example and prepare for pain as you get four gears with low shift points and a detuned engine.

From '06 onward it's a 6 speed automatic. Also you can get the full power back if you upgrade to a better torque converter that won't overheat when you rev above 8000.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

So after not having Forza 4 for some time, I picked up a new Xbox that came with Forza. After being nickle and dimed by Microsoft, I'm back in it. I'm still in LLJK which I see is dead, is there still a general goon club?

quackman
Jan 25, 2004
Chapstick

Wolfy posted:

So after not having Forza 4 for some time, I picked up a new Xbox that came with Forza. After being nickle and dimed by Microsoft, I'm back in it. I'm still in LLJK which I see is dead, is there still a general goon club?

Yup, AUGR: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3482417

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Yeah, I usually try to keep one slot open in the club and someone's already sent in a request, so if the club says it's full just wait until this evening and I'll make a slot. Reapply then.

Also, AUGR's new racing season is starting on the 9th. Anyone is welcome to participate, even if you're in a bad different car club. We've been having anywhere from 8-12 people in most of our races, so there should be at least a few spots open.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Anyone else get an M3-GTR Unicorn in their file depot today?

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
No :(

I did get another NSX-R GT though

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
I hope so, gonna check in a few minutes! I have two unicorns; one is the Camaro thanks to Rampage Jackson not being able to race a clean lap and the RX-7 Spirit R. I just can't seem to stay on top of it enough to win unicorns. A couple of the bounty events tht I did try were extremely difficult. I think I recall the bounty putting up a time that ended up being 150th on the leaderboard after all was said and done. So, yea....UNICORNS!!

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

C2C - 2.0 posted:

My 10-year old son got this game for Christmas; unbeknownst to me, he's rented a few racing games and enjoys them quite a bit. However, between work & my casual interest and not wanting to drop a ton of money on a driving set-up for a grade-schooler, we're pretty much going to be playing when we can with a controller.

I should be able to adjust to manual w/clutch; I'll probably jump him from auto to manual w/o clutch. Are there any assists that should be on/off between those two set-ups?

It's not a big deal turning all the assists off if you leave rewind on.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

It's not a big deal turning all the assists off if you leave rewind on.

My son & I found that out the past couple of days the hard way. Braking seems to be our biggest Achilles' heel; we haven't mastered the subtlety of the trigger yet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Make sure you turn all the music off and make sure to change the audio to focus on the tires instead of the engine. Pull the trigger until you hear the tires squeal and release a bit. Eventually you will get a feel for it.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Make sure you turn all the music off and make sure to change the audio to focus on the tires instead of the engine. Pull the trigger until you hear the tires squeal and release a bit. Eventually you will get a feel for it.

Heh, I never thought of that as a potential indicator. Thanks!

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

C2C - 2.0 posted:

My son & I found that out the past couple of days the hard way. Braking seems to be our biggest Achilles' heel; we haven't mastered the subtlety of the trigger yet.

I curl my finger over the trigger so my fingertip hits the controller when I get on the breaks as sort of a tensioner thing.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

burtonos posted:

I curl my finger over the trigger so my fingertip hits the controller when I get on the breaks as sort of a tensioner thing.
I pull the trigger further up towards the top of the controller.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Took over a year but I finished the world tour finally. Which is funny because I finished the event list many months ago.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
How does the hired driver work? Want to get the achievement for completing the event list.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Do it if you dont care about the experience or money, cause you will barely get any. Set the ai difficulty to easy or the hired driver seems to do poorly against anything harder. Even then he is going to lose at times. The cheeve requires gold on everything.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

GTCC is doing a thing tonight at 10PM EST if anyone wants to listen to dick jokes while you get lapped by Ziploc for the third time. This isn't a lot of notice, but then there's not much tuning you can do (tire pressure? diff?) so if you want to throw a car together you can probably do it pretty quick.

60s cars, multiclass:

code:
C Class
Less than 2500 pounds
Less than 3 liters

B Class
More than 3400 pounds
More than 4 liters, no more than 7 liters
Rules for both classes:
Max of sport handling upgrades (no race parts)
Race cage required
Street tires required
No Forza aero
No aspiration changes
No drivetrain swaps
(engine swaps aren't mentioned, so I guess if you can fit one in go nuts? Probably this is against the rules, but the amount of hazing you're going to get for being the new guy is way worse than what you'll get for dropping a Golf engine in your Karmann Ghia.)

EDIT: Right, how to join. Send a friend request or whatever to me and I'll invite you to the lobby? Gamertag is gregchiasson.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 10, 2013

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I'm totally parking in reverse at the forest preserve today. The results of this should be quite similar to what happened between myself and TopHat on lap one of Maple Valley.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Hey howdy I made this for you (I gifted you the vinyl too)

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Holy poo poo.

That owns.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That is a drat good vinyl.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Send it my way also, if you please, I wanna be part of the Howdy Fan Club!

Awesome work on that vinyl.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

CaseFace McGee posted:

Send it my way also, if you please, I wanna be part of the Howdy Fan Club!

Awesome work on that vinyl.

Thanks.

The hand works in such a way he can grasp just about anything. Like Dilz.

I'll send it along when I get home tonight to anyone interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

Hey howdy I made this for you (I gifted you the vinyl too)

I'm gonna put that on my TV and watch Missy hump the poo poo out of her toy to it.

• Locked thread