Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

I am OK posted:

I started feeling quite sorry for Sid! A lot of pent-up tension came out there.

I don't think I listen to it for football any more. I just like the bullshit.

This. I almost feel like the ramble has better actual content... IDK, both are just fun to listen to while I drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
At least Sid brings a lot of content. I've been zoning out during the past several Football Weekly podcasts as they just.. don't.. say.. anything.. it goes nowhere and then it's over.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just listen to it because I've listened to it for years. And I mostly listen to it while commuting on my bicycle. And listening to them jabber on about fat footballers is entertaining while you're on a bike.

I can understand why people get annoyed. I think I'm just a creature of habbit, and I just want to know the basic talking points: Man U has a bad back line, Man City are failing in Europe, Arsenal suck and Chelsea are going okay but will probably wilt at some point.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
It's basically just a comedy podcast to me at this point, but I'm pretty fine with that.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
It's still alright but I prefer the Ramble.

I have been loving James' European paper reviews lately. Don't know if they count as podcasts but they're generally excellent. http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/video/2012/nov/09/james-richardsons-european-football-papers-review-video

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

ragle posted:

At least Sid brings a lot of content. I've been zoning out during the past several Football Weekly podcasts as they just.. don't.. say.. anything.. it goes nowhere and then it's over.

I have been zoning out too but I just think its all the result of pretty dull season and the hangover of 2 great sports events from last summer.

The big sides are winning without playing particularly well, Soton and Reading look no-hopers, and the middle class (save for Everton/WBA maybe) are all playing pretty dull, inconsistent stuff. Add this to all thelovely racism storylines. Not surprised FW is a bit dry given the material.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

grvm posted:

It's basically just a comedy podcast to me at this point, but I'm pretty fine with that.

I agree with that. Perfect for commuters.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"[Team X] should just sub [Player Y] on after 30 seconds so he's still counted as a sub but he gets 89 minutes"

Absolutely cracked me up, for some reason.

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004

LordPants posted:

"[Team X] should just sub [Player Y] on after 30 seconds so he's still counted as a sub but he gets 89 minutes"

Absolutely cracked me up, for some reason.

Barry may know absolutely nothing about football but he is damned funny sometimes.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Extra was a bit poo poo this week. Barry slagging off Defoe and his hat trick in Slovenia to the chagrin of the other journalist was amusing though.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Pedro Pinto is a bit of a wanker tbh

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Whoever this new guy is (Jacob?) on Football Weekly he's freaking terrible and I hope they never bring him back.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Wirth1000 posted:

Whoever this new guy is (Jacob?) on Football Weekly he's freaking terrible and I hope they never bring him back.

It's not Jacob Steinberg, he's a regular. The new guy today was Daniel Harris.

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
worst episode in a long time

got yer max rushden guy giving it terrible anecdotes that no one asked for

got yer idiots praising berbatov's great t-shirt (it was poo poo)

got the host fuckin losing the plot, dead air, not asking / answering questions

oh and any coverage of non english games? the entire 50 minutes was english poo poo and his crappy anecdote / quiz

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
There were no non-englsh games...

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
But it was the worst episode in a long time. Boring host and boring guests.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
I thought it was ok.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
At least the QPR music journalist wasn't there to gloat after the Chelsea win, he is entirely insufferable.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It was pretty poor, but I like Jacob Steinberg - he's at least generally able to talk about things in English football other than the top five or six clubs.

The Game was even worse, just because Tony Evans is such an unbearable twat.

Howards Bellend
Aug 25, 2007

After that one with the début Man United fan the other day (the absolute worst contributor, including the QPR guy), I was perfectly happy with it.

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Monday Bandele posted:

There were no non-englsh games...

There were Scottish games and the pretty significant Milan friendly.

Riotgrrill
Sep 3, 2004

They never do the SPL and the Milan match hadn't happened at the the time of recording.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
That Man Utd fan might settle down into things and turn out ok. He problem was being so over eager to make his points.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:
Since there's all this Football Weekly backlash, is there no universally loved podcast anymore? What about the Ramble?

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012

Homura posted:

Since there's all this Football Weekly backlash, is there no universally loved podcast anymore? What about the Ramble?

I really like them

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I like the Guardian podcast, they just have the odd aberration

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

I like listening to Alan Davies' podcast after Arsenal lose.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Homura posted:

Football Weekly always suffers without James Richardson. Max Rushden's a bit poo poo, really.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
He's not as good, but he's nowhere near as bad as people make out.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

onoflalks posted:

Football Weekly always suffers without James Richardson. Max Rushden's a bit poo poo, really.

This was my first Football Weekly without Jimbo and I realized that I honeslty don't care about the podcast at all when it doesn't involve him. He really holds it all together for me. Barry's great, too.

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mickolution posted:

He's not as good, but he's nowhere near as bad as people make out.

He's the anti-Jim. I can't see any positives about his hosting. He's sneering, cynical, a bit mis-informed... ach, just shite.

What 'someone' said earlier, about them not focusing on Milan friendly or Scottish football, fair points. They could've TRIED to bring in some other aspects of football to discus. Also, one of them says "Wiggo" near the end. Nearly spewed.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
All right calm down mate.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

It always amazes me how precious people get over a free podcast.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

What was James' pun about Begovic on today's pod? I couldn't make it out because he was laughing and it sounded good.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
It was something about Begovic not having any say over transferring to United...

... because beggars can't be choosers.

They were laughing because it was so bad.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Haha, that makes sense. Brilliant.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I don't get it :(

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Didn't like Barry this week, very little contribution and he shat all over Jimmy.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
People really need to listen to the most recent football weekly.

They'd go on about football then they would side track and go into a really really deep extended joke metaphor about the Viking invasion (The Michael Laudrup of his day!) and then back to football. Please tell me I wasn't the only one who thought this was completely bizarre and hilarious.

You know you are off to a good start when the first thing that happens is someone makes an apartheid joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I don't really like podcasts but I love Football Weekly to bits because of stuff like that. Jimbo, Barry & Co all have fantastic chemistry and not just some dry point-by-point analysis of whatever happened in the world of football that week. It's a travesty it's only an hour long.