Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Munnin The Crab posted:

So this morning I woke up to my father telling me "Oh hey, the Verizon rep called, I'm saving us :tenbux: a month by switching us too a 2g cap per month!"
So the verizon rep told my dad that we were using ~1g/m, neglecting to say that that included the 7 years of not having smartphones. We had a grandfathered unlimited data plan, and for the past few months I've been hitting 6-8g through tethering, netflix, and the like.

Am I forced to say goodbye to the unlimited plan forever, or do I have a grace period to revert his gently caress up?

If this is truly the case with what the rep said, you should be able to call and get the recording. If the recording shows that the original rep gave false information you might be able to get somewhere.

That being said, "somewhere" may be nothing more than a "sincere" apology and a small credit for a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
I feared as much. That marks the 3rd technology related hundreds-of-dollars mistake he's made in as many days.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Munnin The Crab posted:

I feared as much. That marks the 3rd technology related hundreds-of-dollars mistake he's made in as many days.

Who's the primary on the account?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Munnin The Crab posted:

You need to call, Be nice, And if they dont fix it throw a loving fit and threaten to leave and take every line with you. Smart phone customers, even on evil unlimited data, are still big money. We have 5 lines on ours with unlimited and they pretty much give us anything we want if there is ever a problem. Then again, we pay well over 300$ a month these days.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
They can revert it within 14 days, it just has to go through an offline department to get reinstated, and may take a week to process.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

EbolaIvory posted:

A corp rep can do it in store, right then and there. The line signing the contract loses unlimited, Not the line getting the phone.

Make sense?

Are you sure? I'm a third party using Eroes -> Alternative Upgrade, and when I did this, it only put the new data plan on the line receiving the phone, not the line who used the upgrade.

The customer assured me he talked to several VZW employees who said he'd be ok, so I said whatever and did it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Rent posted:

Are you sure? I'm a third party using Eroes -> Alternative Upgrade, and when I did this, it only put the new data plan on the line receiving the phone, not the line who used the upgrade.

The customer assured me he talked to several VZW employees who said he'd be ok, so I said whatever and did it.

Pretty drat sure.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Give them a call and says there has been a mistake on the account and ask them nicely to revert it. They tried to stick the 2gb plan onto my account too after activating a new, completely unsubsidized phone and they were able to revert it back a few hours after I've called.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Mighty Horse posted:

It was way better after you rooted and killed all the bloat. Not great, but comparable to the other phones around at the time.

Then I'll take your word for it. I just thought the Spectrum never had much of a developer following.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I've been a verizon customer for a couple years. One line only. My parents are thinking about getting a couple Ipads with data plans for themselves and my grandpa but none of them are verizon customers.

Is there any reason I should add their ipads to my account (along with data) or should they just open up their own account?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I ended up having to take my new off-contract S3 in to activate it because I didn't think the drat SIM card size would have changed between it and the Thunderbolt. I was concerned I would get crap over renewing the contract (and killing my unlimited data) but that turned out to be not a problem at all. What was the issue was ISIS Mobile Wallet (I live in a test market).

rep: "Oh have you heard of ISIS? Let me install it, it is the best ever and they give you free money! What do you mean you want to leave it until later, lets do it now now now! Isis isis isis isis!" They even had NFC tags on nearly every surface (and their badges) so they could just grab the phone, wave it over, and quickly hit "Install" in the google play store, which he proceeded to do. Despite protesting at first I ended up just letting him do it out of resignation because I'm pretty sure they are getting hounded over making sure every single S3 that comes in or out the door has it installed and active, and I knew it would get wiped by rooting the phone.

It creeped me out enough that I ended up side-loading Google wallet instead.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
I'm pretty sure you need an ISIS ready SIM to even use it anyways, so it might not even work.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The reason I went to the store was for a new sim card so the one that I got has the security stuff for isis on it.

The only way I could trust isis less to not be crappy is if it were a coalition of cable companies backing it instead. This setup of blocking Google Wallet just fits the wireless carriers "Why bother making it good when you can make it the only choice" style of thinking too much.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shifty Pony posted:

The reason I went to the store was for a new sim card so the one that I got has the security stuff for isis on it.

The only way I could trust isis less to not be crappy is if it were a coalition of cable companies backing it instead. This setup of blocking Google Wallet just fits the wireless carriers "Why bother making it good when you can make it the only choice" style of thinking too much.

Hows wallet working with an isis sim? Reports seem to be no dice.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

EbolaIvory posted:

Hows wallet working with an isis sim? Reports seem to be no dice.

Works fine for me. It set up fine and transactions go through smoothly.

However I heard that the GS3 has an integrated secure element and does not need the nfc sim for wallet to work. I can post instructions on how I set mine up if people are interested on giving it a go to find out.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

As much as I hate the way Verizon has been loving around with this poo poo, I do like the idea of the SIM having the secure element.

When a stable CM build is out, I tend to be a compulsive flasher, and being able to just go to the store and get a new SIM if I were to gently caress something up is rather appealing.

That being said, I'm still not going to use ISIS. Ever.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shifty Pony posted:

However I heard that the GS3 has an integrated secure element and does not need the nfc sim for wallet to work. I can post instructions on how I set mine up if people are interested on giving it a go to find out.

Thats good to hear. Thanks for that :)

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Shifty Pony posted:

Yeah, I'm interested in finding out how to set up Wallet on my GS3 now that I've been having fun learning how to hack it a little.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

clamiam45 posted:

Yeah, I'm interested in finding out how to set up Wallet on my GS3 now that I've been having fun learning how to hack it a little.

I pretty much followed the instructions in this XDA thread. I am running an AOSP Rom (Liquidsmooth JB 4.1 RC7) and followed the instructions under the "Simple Build.Prop Editing". A few minutes later It was working fine.

BUT BE WARNED....

AlexDeGruven posted:

As much as I hate the way Verizon has been loving around with this poo poo, I do like the idea of the SIM having the secure element.

When a stable CM build is out, I tend to be a compulsive flasher, and being able to just go to the store and get a new SIM if I were to gently caress something up is rather appealing.

That being said, I'm still not going to use ISIS. Ever.

Having the Secure Element hardwired in the phone itself with no way to clear it out is such an astonishingly dumb thing that I can't believe it actually is designed that way, and that there is just some sort of a cleanup command that hasn't been found by the development community now (and is likely being kept secret by Samsung). As it is now if it gets locked all you can do is either abandon Google Wallet or flash back to stock and hope you can get a replacement phone (likely not on the VZW phone model as Google Wallet is supposedly not supported). Hey at least you could switch to Isis :v:

I almost got caught by it myself, doing a downgrade from RC9 of the rom to RC7 to fix a bluetooth issue (no bass, known issue but I didn't feel like messing with a fix) before I read about the google wallet secure element lockout that can happen in such situations. I think that I had not yet used Google Wallet for transactions but had only just set it up was all that saved me, although people have reported being lucky as long as they re-install the same version of Google Wallet with the same cards active in the account (although to be fair there is always the possibility that most rom upgrades/changes go fine and that the lockout is a rare thing with only those hit with it posting).

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 2, 2013

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

CancerStick posted:

If I want to purchase a new phone but use either 1) another lines upgrade to transfer to mine or 2) add a new line to the family plan, but keep it at the basic $9.99 while transfering that phone to my line, my only options are to purchase the phone through Verizon, correct?

I am leaning Note II, but saw the S3 was only $80 with a new line at Amazon. I read the fine print, though, and saw something about having to keep it on the upgraded line for 181 days.

I don't think anybody verified this for me so I figured I'd ask one more time before I bite the bullet and walk into a Verizon retail store.

Just want to make sure that there isn't a third-party outlet that I might find a cheaper S3 or Note II. I assume since I am doing line transfers/adding new lines that Verizon is my only retailer, correct?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

If you want to do the upgrade and transfer shuffle, you won't be able to use any 3rd party retailer that has a policy like Amazon's.

The instant you remove the data plan from the upgraded line, Amazon will smack you with their own ETF, which Verizon does not do.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

Having the Secure Element hardwired in the phone itself with no way to clear it out is such an astonishingly dumb thing that I can't believe it actually is designed that way, and that there is just some sort of a cleanup command that hasn't been found by the development community now (and is likely being kept secret by Samsung). As it is now if it gets locked all you can do is either abandon Google Wallet or flash back to stock and hope you can get a replacement phone (likely not on the VZW phone model as Google Wallet is supposedly not supported). Hey at least you could switch to Isis :v:
With regards to "cleaning up" the secure element, part of the big deal of a secure element is that there is a single gatekeeper who controls it. That party is called the Trusted Service Manager (see this thing from Gemalto that explains it). Only the TSM can write to the chip on your behalf. For Google Wallet and the devices on which Wallet works, that TSM is First Data (whose subsidiary Money Network also ran the prepaid debit card feature when that was a thing). Meanwhile Isis has chosen Gemalto as their TSM for the in-SIM secure element.

There could well be a way to remotely reset a secure element, but since control of what goes in and out of it is handled by the TSM, that would have to come from them. So if there were even a way to do it, the current messed up business climate regarding NFC payment support means you're not going to get them to help you with a device that "shouldn't" have had it in the first place.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Oh I can completely understand making the security element a royal pain in the rear end to reset, I'm just shocked there is absolutely no procedure for it at all. I could even see something akin to having to send in with a witnessed notarized form, a hefty fee, and copies certain identifying documents and even then they just wipe all info from it. People would probably trust the security more if you had some really over the top yet official sounding process, a bit of security theater almost.

Maybe Google will pay First Data to do this remotely, as why would they care if Verizon doesn't "allow" you to load the program or not? If adoption takes off they will need the function because people are going to be seriously pissed off if their $300-$700 phone crashed and they lose the ability to use the feature they liked to show off.

Also while I'm dreaming, I'd like a Unicorn named Bubbles.

When I used Google Wallet earlier today the checkout lady asked if it was Isis and when I said no she talked about how she wet it all up and was really pissed off to find out it only works with American Express, Capital One Mastercard, and Chase Freedom Mastercard. No other banks, no debit or prepaid cards at all (besides the Isis built-in one with $2/month inactivity fee), no Visa, and no Discover. I wonder how much of a kickback Verizon/T-mobile/AT&T are getting for credit card signups :rolleyes:

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

If you want to do the upgrade and transfer shuffle, you won't be able to use any 3rd party retailer that has a policy like Amazon's.

The instant you remove the data plan from the upgraded line, Amazon will smack you with their own ETF, which Verizon does not do.

FWIW, Wirefly allows transfer upgrades on Verizon. They also have a $50 cashback thing going for BoA customers.

Would you get the ETF from Amazon if the upgraded line already has a data plan, and you're just switching the phone? I'm leaning towards Wirefly since they explicitly say they do transfer upgrades, plus the cashback. On the other hand I get 5% cashback from Amazon and I have a gift certificate that was inteded to go toward a phone... I suppose Wirefly wins out assuming the prices are the same ($200 for the Razr Maxx HD. For christ's sake is there a nickname for this phone?) and I'll eventually spend the Amazon certificate on something else. Which I will.

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.
I'm really sad I missed the Razr JB OTA leak :(

I got the notification that there was an update, and I hit ok but it failed.

Any ideas when we'll see it officially roll out?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Its out there if you look for it. No rooting needed.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
I'm in New Zealand with my stock Verizon S3. Put in a 2degrees sim, and it's working fine for voice and text, but no dice on data. Any ideas? I thought this was supposed to work with jelly bean.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

stormrider posted:

I'm in New Zealand with my stock Verizon S3. Put in a 2degrees sim, and it's working fine for voice and text, but no dice on data. Any ideas? I thought this was supposed to work with jelly bean.

Maybe you have to mess around with the APN?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Has anyone had any luck getting vzw to waive the upgrade fee? It's jacked up that I'm paying a fee for being a customer. I have the unlimited plan and I'm going to lose it when I upgrade, but I don't have much choice since my wifes phone is busted and I promised her a new one for her Bday.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Has anyone had any luck getting vzw to waive the upgrade fee? It's jacked up that I'm paying a fee for being a customer. I have the unlimited plan and I'm going to lose it when I upgrade, but I don't have much choice since my wifes phone is busted and I promised her a new one for her Bday.

I've never heard of anyone getting the fee waived before. Doesn't matter if they've been customers for years or even employees, they've all had to pay it. Occasionally they do waive it for new customers but in the form of a bill credit the billing cycle. Verizon is pretty strict and doesn't let up regarding that.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Lblitzer posted:

I've never heard of anyone getting the fee waived before. Doesn't matter if they've been customers for years or even employees, they've all had to pay it. Occasionally they do waive it for new customers but in the form of a bill credit the billing cycle. Verizon is pretty strict and doesn't let up regarding that.

Darn, ok. For some weird reason when I go to upgrade just my phone online it gives me a $30 discount. Her phone isn't eligible for the discount. I'm tempted to upgrade them separately.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

Lblitzer posted:

I just added a new line to our family plan today to preserve my unlimited while getting a Note 2. The lady helping me mentioned the $30 upgrade fee and then later said that it didn't apply to me because I was buying a "newer" phone. Yea, I don't know. I was pleased, though.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Maybe you have to mess around with the APN?

By doing what?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

stormrider posted:

By doing what?

I'm not sure, it differs depending on what phone you have and what carrier you're trying to get it to work on.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
My aunt gets an upgrade in march on Verizon, it will be her first smartphone. She is going the android route since her husband has it, and she is decently tech savvy. Just need basic phone, Internet, general apps, etc. at this point how is the galaxy S3 versus Razr maxx HD? And I already mentioned iPhone, for better or worse they are going all android.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Duckman2008 posted:

My aunt gets an upgrade in march on Verizon, it will be her first smartphone. She is going the android route since her husband has it, and she is decently tech savvy. Just need basic phone, Internet, general apps, etc. at this point how is the galaxy S3 versus Razr maxx HD? And I already mentioned iPhone, for better or worse they are going all android.

Only really difference besides the skins the UI uses are the Maxx's supposedly insane battery life.

Other than that, not much of a difference.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

If you want the best selection of cases and other aftermarket accessories, the S3 is the one to go with.

Aside from the iphone, the S3 is the best selling model and is available on a ton of carriers around the world which puts it on the top of the list for the folks making phone accessories.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

stormrider posted:

You should be able to go to Settings > "More Settings" (under Wireless and network) > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names. Then press Menu and hopefully you'll end up with the option to add APN's. The option appears to be disabled right now while I'm on a Verizon SIM but I hope they wouldn't cripple it that hard.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Is there an outage right now or way to find out if there is one? Neither my girlfriend nor I can call or text, and she has no data on her 3G phone, but LTE works fine on mine. Our phones both show good signal. We're in Kansas if that matters.

e: it's working now, but I'd still like to know if there's a place that gives outage statuses.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ktonastya
Aug 23, 2006

I'm afraid I just "blue" myself

My husband and I are looking to get on a share everything family plan with Verizon. Currently he is on his parent's Verizon family plan without an upgrade coming up as his mother just used it. He would be wanting to keep his current number but also get a new phone at the subsidized price from Amazon Wireless since we would save 150 dollars. I'm not transferring my number over from AT&T. Is this possible? He'd give up his phone number if he had too, but he's had it for at least 7 years so he is attached to it.

• Locked thread