Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Sheep posted:

This should really be in the OP. The triple pack/ROR are good deals now that they're on sale for half price, but you also won't even hit the first of any of that content until like 3-4 days of playtime into the game, especially your first go around.

sassassin posted:

As a beginner you could probably buy nothing and be good for the first 40 hours.

Steam's playtime counter continues to make me feel guilty.

100 hours in, primary's level 35...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I'll ask again:

Yay or nay to using the Instance Joiner for skirms/dungeons before max level?

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

Rarity posted:

Ah, thanks. I like to think I woulda remembered to wait for the tank to grab aggro, but in truth I probably wouldn't.

Most hunters don't... or they think that 2 sec is plenty of time for agro control..

The larger mobs on raids usually take about 15-30 sec to take down and you can always tell a hunter burning hot because the mob starts running right for them. It's an issue of learning agro control but since most hunters solo all the time, they never spend time learning it.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Moo Moo Canoe posted:

The one mentioned in the GMOTD. I intend to play what I want but getting some direction as to what to try out first would be cool hence the question.

Goons are known for being facetious; I may be the only person in the guild who doesn't have a minstrel alt. The class you should try out first is the one that sounds the most fun to you.

TheHoosier posted:

I'll ask again:

Yay or nay to using the Instance Joiner for skirms/dungeons before max level?

Nay, at least on Silverlode. Groups for dungeons tend to use the LFF channels.

Moo Moo Canoe
Mar 11, 2007

Drunk postin' ftw

Hello Sailor posted:

Goons are known for being facetious; I may be the only person in the guild who doesn't have a minstrel alt. The class you should try out first is the one that sounds the most fun to you.

Well don't I feel silly. Thanks for the clarification. :v:

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Conskill posted:

Did they ever make Wardens not suck? I have a soft spot for self-sufficient DPS/Tank, but back when I last played the class couldn't really fulfill either role well.

Wardens have never really sucked except briefly maybe after RoI. They could always solo the best and be great tanks. Their issue is about complexity. Do you want to remember x gambits and y ways of how to get there with masteries? Do you like to have a move flowchart nearby in case you forgot what gambit did x in y stance? You could just as easily roll a guard and achieve the same results while probably be drunk half the time. Plus if you ever wanted to just use a 2hander, it's not an option on a warden.

Granted there are great warden players out there but the amount of dedication to be the at that level is set pretty high.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Hello Sailor posted:

Nay, at least on Silverlode. Groups for dungeons tend to use the LFF channels.

There's nothing wrong with running around with the instance joiner running in the background.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Captain Backslap posted:

There's nothing wrong with running around with the instance joiner running in the background.

Except when it doesn't find anything after running around for three hours... I have no idea why it's such an unused feature.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

100 hours in, primary's level 35...

All that said, I'm level 28 and without having been too exhaustive with my questing or grinding admittedly, I've now pretty much run out of free stuff to do that isn't a few too many levels above me, and without quest packs it'll probably be harder and harder to keep up to strength until I hit the expansions I paid for.

Ered Luin, Shire, Bree and Lone Lands are the only free questing areas, right?

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
The failure, so to speak, of the instance join feature basically boils down to "too little, too late." Servers figured out reliable ways to form groups a long time ago, so adding the feature the way they did (not really as complete as it should have been, and not cross server) did not encourage people to buy in to the new approach. I'm also inclined to believe that Lotro's playerbase is filled with way more people that just want to solo for a couple hours and log off than other games. And the instances have content that actually requires understanding game mechanics, which is something that solo content never teaches you, so aside from the runs that people have figured out how to run easily you have a lot of unused instances.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rarity posted:

Ah, thanks. I like to think I woulda remembered to wait for the tank to grab aggro, but in truth I probably wouldn't.

Just play a champ. Take aggro and tank the boss with your giant twohander loaded with +damage bonuses. :black101:
I haven't played my champ since Mirkwood, this might not work out in Isengard or Rohan.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I'll echo "Play whatever class you want", but also point out that Nazgun has a distinct lack of heavies at the moment. We need more Guards and Champs. There have been nights I've checked to see who is online and out of 10 players, 7 are Minstrels. You can't run a lot of instances that way.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

JFC posted:

I'll echo "Play whatever class you want", but also point out that Nazgun has a distinct lack of heavies at the moment. We need more Guards and Champs. There have been nights I've checked to see who is online and out of 10 players, 7 are Minstrels. You can't run a lot of instances that way.

Pfft, if 6 out of 6 people can heal.. whats the problem?! :black101:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I'm a champ! I've never run an instance with people, though*. Are there ever going to be more runs of things that aren't level 85?

*I am also incredibly incompetent at this game and get by almost purely on luck.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Except when it doesn't find anything after running around for three hours... I have no idea why it's such an unused feature.

Because it's something they added 5? years after the game came out, and didn't even put most of the low level instances into it on release. So you have people using it for max level stuff only, because for a long time that's all it could be used for.

It's also not cross-server, so your available pool of potentials is the 15 other people online on your server at your level. Which if they aren't also queuing up for instances means you're getting nothing. Even at the level cap there aren't very many people using it, but lower level there is basically nobody.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
How much do I need to level a crafting alt?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

sassassin posted:

How much do I need to level a crafting alt?
If you mean gold for materials, I don't think anyone's going to be able to answer that without knowing which trade and how high you want to get it (and even then nobody may remember, it's a long road and mat prices on Silverlode are pretty volatile).

One way that doesn't require a bunch of gold is to just make a character you might play down the road with complementary trades, play them through their intro area and then run to a major city's crafting/vault area. Buy shared storage so you don't have to mail poo poo between characters one at a time, and whenever your main is near a bank just drop the mats in the vault. Your alt should at least be able to keep pace with you. Keeping crafting a tier higher so you get crit gear all the time is proving to be a challenge for me with a low-level main, even with an army of alts. If you don't enjoy the crafting, you might get by just fine buying your gear off the auction house- it's a buyer's market for low level crafters.

So where is the goon kin house on Silverlode? I haven't requested an invite yet because I'd mostly just lurk and I like my chat empty, but if it's open to the public I'd like to drop in and see how it's decorated (wow that sounds lame). Goons are of course always welcome in my home at 4 Roaring Road, Rekstrom, Thorin's Hall Homesteads, Silverlode. Interior decoration by Hanrahan.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 6, 2013

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Remy Marathe posted:

So where is the goon kin house on Silverlode? I haven't requested an invite yet because I'd mostly just lurk and I like my chat empty, but if it's open to the public I'd like to drop in and see how it's decorated (wow that sounds lame). Goons are of course always welcome in my home at 4 Roaring Road, Rekstrom, Thorin's Hall Homesteads, Silverlode. Interior decoration by Hanrahan.
Just join the guild and teleport to it!!!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Radio! posted:

I'm a champ! I've never run an instance with people, though*. Are there ever going to be more runs of things that aren't level 85?

There are lots of pick up groups doing Moria instances. Before that, not so much. You might be able to find a group to do that Garath Awhatever non-scaling instance.

You can definitely find people for Great Barrow as well.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Remy Marathe posted:

If you mean gold for materials, I don't think anyone's going to be able to answer that without knowing which trade and how high you want to get it (and even then nobody may remember, it's a long road and mat prices on Silverlode are pretty volatile).

Actually I meant how much do I need to level the guy up doing quests and stuff. Lots? Not at all? I've got my hobbit set up in the shire and plan to just post things to him from my main (shared storage is like 1000tp so sod that). Might ride around there a few times, because I more or less skipped the whole region with my elf, but he probably won't be going on any more adventures beyond the borders if I can help it.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Not at all really; I've got a cook who at level 12 can make foods for clear up through level 50's and there's nothing stopping her from going further. The only thing you miss out on as a lowbie crafter is the ability to equip higher level crafting tools with better crit percentages. All you need to do is get through the intro, then you can make a beeline for the nearest major city; around level 6-8 I think is where you get the quests to take crafting skills.

The first shared storage is expensive because it's 20 slots, I'd wait to catch it at 35% off for 647TP if you change your mind about it. For anyone moving things between alts though it's a huge quality of life improvement. When I come back to town with full bags I like dropping mats into tabs labeled by trade, and collecting things relevant to my character when it's convenient without trying to think about who gets what. If you aren't an altoholic with an army of crafters it might not be that big a deal.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 6, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

fenix down posted:

Just join the guild and teleport to it!!!

Would it be bad etiquette for me to join and not even have a guild chat window up 95% of the time? This game's turned me into a bit of an immersion nut.

e; gently caress it, if you see a request from Pinalope that's me, make me a Nazgun

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 6, 2013

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Remy Marathe posted:

Not at all really; I've got a cook who at level 12 can make foods for clear up through level 50's and there's nothing stopping her from going further. The only thing you miss out on as a lowbie crafter is the ability to equip higher level crit crafting tools. All you need to do is get through the intro, then you can make a beeline for the nearest major city; around level 8 I think is where you get the quests to take crafting skills.

You can buy this off the store, think its 150 pts and it is account bound so can transfer it between characters. Slightly worse than the highest tier crafting tool.

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item:Universal_Toolkit

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Wow, I saw that mentioned earlier but didn't realize it had those crit levels. I'm trying to save my TP for a second XP disabler but that's tempting.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I bought one for each of my characters. It's so nice not having to swap tools and all that, plus you can pretty easily get the 150 tp doing deeds or whatever in an afternoon.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Oxphocker posted:

Hunters are just that easy..that's why there are so many tard hunters, because they get complacent and when they get to raids they still think herp derp shoot bow without actually thinking about raid mechanics.
As someone that has a Hunter main that has done end game raiding, I can't stress this enough.

Solo, a Hunter hits up front with as much fire power as possible. You run in Strength Stance. You frequently open with Heartseeker.

In a raid or Fellowship, you pretty much do the exact opposite. You start in Endurance Stance, standing relatively near to the tank(not in the far back). You wait a second for the tank(hopefully a Guardian) to establish aggro, and then start with a couple of Quick Shots. Throw in a Swift Bow- good, that Uber Troll is still looking at the Guardian. Quick Shot...Shift Bow...Penetrating Arrow! The Troll is stuck to the Guardian like glue. Now it's time to switch to Precision Stance and go to town. You spam Penetrating Shot a lot, and throw Blood Arrow into the mix as well. Start using Merciful Shot once he's below 50%.

You almost never use Heartseeker in a fellowship or raid. You can do 2000+ damage in the time it takes you to go through that long-rear end induction.

It's still possible to steal aggro at this point, especially from a huge damage spike. With practice you'll get a feel for how far you can push your dps while still remaining below the tank on the Threat Table. If you get aggro, hit Beneath Notice and run to the tank.

Moo Moo Canoe
Mar 11, 2007

Drunk postin' ftw

Sheep posted:

I bought one for each of my characters. It's so nice not having to swap tools and all that, plus you can pretty easily get the 150 tp doing deeds or whatever in an afternoon.

I was pretty stupid and forgot to swap it out while prospecting and nearly wore it out. So yeah, might want to keep a pick on hand.

Edit: Nvm I'm an idiot, not sure why I felt like this wore out faster than a normal pick...

Moo Moo Canoe fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 6, 2013

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

JFC posted:

I've been playing really on-and-off ever since shortly after Rohan dropped and still haven't gotten anything past level 83, but I'll be back my champ in instancing shape soon. Just as soon as I finish Assassin's Creed 3...

Also, really gotta push my hobbit guardian through Moria at some point.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
Blah blah blah, the Hobbit movie, here I am again wanting to play more LOTRO! :hfive:

My character is Haviland, I'll try to get an invite to the Nazgun tonight sometime.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

loquacius posted:

I've been playing really on-and-off ever since shortly after Rohan dropped and still haven't gotten anything past level 83, but I'll be back my champ in instancing shape soon. Just as soon as I finish Assassin's Creed 3...

Also, really gotta push my hobbit guardian through Moria at some point.

I have my capt on the back burner since I got to the edge of Fangorn. I'm pushing my 53 hunter through Moria now and the quest flow is a lot better but the quests still suck. I'll probablt get through the latter half of Moria in the next few days but it looks promising so far.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

sassassin posted:

Actually I meant how much do I need to level the guy up doing quests and stuff. Lots? Not at all? I've got my hobbit set up in the shire and plan to just post things to him from my main (shared storage is like 1000tp so sod that). Might ride around there a few times, because I more or less skipped the whole region with my elf, but he probably won't be going on any more adventures beyond the borders if I can help it.

There are a few mid-high level recipes that you can't make without the appropriate rep, but other than that there aren't any real level requirements.

That said, getting into your 50s so you can go to Galtrev is probably a good idea. It has a full set of superior crafting facilities (including farming), has a full selection of every guild vendor there, and has the vault a few steps away from the crafting. The 21st Hall in Moria used to be the best place to park a crafting alt, but Galtrev is better now. I don't remember the exact level, it's either 50 or 55. You can run there around level 5 or so, but you want to be higher level if you park there because otherwise the crafting hall will be red to you, and it'll take 10x longer to craft.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Remy Marathe posted:

Not at all really; I've got a cook who at level 12 can make foods for clear up through level 50's and there's nothing stopping her from going further. The only thing you miss out on as a lowbie crafter is the ability to equip higher level crafting tools with better crit percentages. All you need to do is get through the intro, then you can make a beeline for the nearest major city; around level 6-8 I think is where you get the quests to take crafting skills.

Good to know, cheers.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
The crafting facilities in Bree are now superior, but aren't labeled as such. They also added an auctioneer and vaultkeeper to the room. You still have to go to Esteldin/Rivendell/Michel Delving for guild stuff if your character is super low, but for crafting while leveling, Bree is the best now.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Speaking of guilds, what's the point in trading in 7 small weaponsmith tokens for a medium one? The small ones give me 400 rep, medium only 1200.

Am I missing something?

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

sassassin posted:

Speaking of guilds, what's the point in trading in 7 small weaponsmith tokens for a medium one? The small ones give me 400 rep, medium only 1200.

Am I missing something?

Certain items require a large crafting symbol as a component, so it can be handy. You convert all those small ones into mediums and mediums to a large.

If all you need is reputation though, absolutely use them as they come.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I still can't find the guys selling farmer recipes in Bree :argh:

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

Rarity posted:

I still can't find the guys selling farmer recipes in Bree :argh:

It's just outside of Bree to the East, in Staddle.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Man, I am having a surprising amount of fun loving around in Middle Earth again, especially after getting back in with goons. Just logged out after a few hours of questing around Lone Lands and there were like 20+ goons online on Silverlode. New people should definitely roll there and join up with Nazgun, they seem pretty chill nowadays.

I really wish someone would have told me that f2p has access to shared storage via player housing instead of having to use a vault, it would have saved me a TON of spam mails between my alts carrying crafting materials.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

So are these lower-level lootboxes I've found in my travels doomed to uselessness? The Sturdy Steel Key for them is the same one as needed for higher level stuff, I've gotten two via drops and the things go consistently for like 10g+ on the auction house. I can't imagine anyone trading 10 gold for a few dourhand crests and potions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Remy Marathe posted:

So are these lower-level lootboxes I've found in my travels doomed to uselessness? The Sturdy Steel Key for them is the same one as needed for higher level stuff, I've gotten two via drops and the things go consistently for like 10g+ on the auction house. I can't imagine anyone trading 10 gold for a few dourhand crests and potions.

Yep, just throw them away. Or try and sell em on the AH maybe, you might find someone dumb enough to buy them.

• Locked thread