Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Lizard Combatant posted:

It's a good one, but the only message I'm really getting is BATMAN! But maybe that's all you really need to know.
No, you also need to know "Batman! AAAAAHH!"

zenintrude posted:

Compare those to what I think is a pretty fantastic poster that draws people in:

There's also a good and very rare teaser poster as well:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Wendell posted:

That Ishtar poster is pretty hideous with the camel/men somehow floating above the sand and the half-assed gradient used as a sky. I mean, sure, it reflects the film's quality, but that's not exactly praise-worthy!

Well yeah, as far as objective standards it's terrible (like the film), but the idea and composition is actually pretty good (unlike the film).

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I always liked the teaser posters for the first X-Files movie, especially the green one - black helicopters, mysterious glowing domes in corn fields...

The blue one, "Future", is depicting an ice age, which we later learn from the film is actually the past.

Red is in Texas, a playground built over top of the aliens' cave - the set piece that bridges past and present.

...then, we have the second film, which came out six years after the series ended. I like the idea in concept, but the bizarre angles of the shadows versus the sole light source (combined with the pretty terrible composites of David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson) is pretty wonky. It would probably look pretty awesome if it were able to be created purely photographically.

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 5, 2013

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Oh wow, I'd love a copy of this

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Lizard Combatant posted:

Oh wow, I'd love a copy of this

An active sale has five of 'em on eBay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-FILES-MOVIE-MOVIE-POSTER-FIGHT-GREEN-/110538516794

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Aatrek posted:

...then, we have the second film, which came out six years after the series ended. I like the idea in concept, but the bizarre angles of the shadows versus the sole light source (combined with the pretty terrible composites of David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson) is pretty wonky. It would probably look pretty awesome if it were able to be created purely photographically.

That's how I feel about it, too, but even with the flaws I really love the idea behind this one. From afar you really only see the "X" which says a lot on its own and on closer inspection you can see the two characters. I hope they do something similarly clever with the third movie, whenever that comes out. It's good they realized that in order to advertise a movie version of one of the most well known and popular TV-series of all time you didn't need to go overboard and cover the poster in face closeups (of which there are posters for both movies, I know.)

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

This is wonderful, thank you for directing me to this.

e:

Stare-Out posted:

I hope they do something similarly clever with the third movie, whenever that comes out.

I assume you're referring to this?

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 5, 2013

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

DrVenkman posted:

My only real issue is that do subway maps have the years printed on them? If not it seems like a clumsy way to establish the time period. As it is though that image would've served as a great teaser poster.
Isn't the Warriors set in the future too? Or am I just thinking of 1990: The Bronx Warriors like usual?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Slate Action posted:

I assume you're referring to this?
While I'd expect them to keep any news about a third movie pretty hush-hush, is there any indication that this has to do with The X-Files? The only two things connecting this project and anything to do with The X-Files are Carter and... X-Zibit. The last thing I heard was from both Duchovny and Anderson expressing a lot of interest in a third movie but nothing since that.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Stare-Out posted:

While I'd expect them to keep any news about a third movie pretty hush-hush, is there any indication that this has to do with The X-Files? The only two things connecting this project and anything to do with The X-Files are Carter and... X-Zibit. The last thing I heard was from both Duchovny and Anderson expressing a lot of interest in a third movie but nothing since that.

Well, besides the obvious working title and the fact that the listed 'stars' are mostly bit actors, the production company is Ten Thirteen Productions which also produced...well, look at this list:

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0078377/

(We should probably take this to another thread)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Leck posted:

Isn't the Warriors set in the future too? Or am I just thinking of 1990: The Bronx Warriors like usual?

It's late 70's NY for the Warriors. No allusion to the future. I love the 80's kitsch of how the future will be with gangs and poo poo. What a good time for movies of that nature. Italian science fiction movies were loving great with good ital-disco soundtracks. Check out After the Fall of New York, it's on YouTube. I grew up loving that movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This has always been my pick for best/most evocative:

Even without the tagline there's a subtle sense of something wrong.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Maxwell Lord posted:

This has always been my pick for best/most evocative:

Even without the tagline there's a subtle sense of something wrong.

They really did good keeping that poster on the cover of the Criterion edition.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Hewlett posted:

They really did good keeping that poster on the cover of the Criterion edition.

What, wouldn't you rather have something more contemporary and edgy and thought provoking like this?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I never knew Bobby Hill was in movies.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

tmfool posted:

That's a variant. This is the original, and I humbly disagree that it's lazy. But that's neither here nor there.

This loving rules. I've wanted a good Warriors poster for years. All I have is a tiny postcard with Ajax and a Baseball Fury on it. :smith:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

It's late 70's NY for the Warriors. No allusion to the future.

Walter Hill had always wanted a "Sometime in the future" subtitle added to the opening of the film, and he did that when he got the Director's Cut made.

My guess is that he wanted some sort of anytime like Streets Of Fire.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Atom Zombie Smasher was a pretty fun game.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
I think someone requested this:

Also aagghhh god, what's wrong with your figure?!

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Jefferoo posted:

I think someone requested this:

Where's the pile of poop?!

Just gonna save you guys the trouble of posting "it's the poster itself".

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
So this is a thing.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Nice, thanks very much.

For some reason I thought you said they were rare, there's lots.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 6, 2013

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

It's late 70's NY for the Warriors. No allusion to the future. I love the 80's kitsch of how the future will be with gangs and poo poo. What a good time for movies of that nature. Italian science fiction movies were loving great with good ital-disco soundtracks. Check out After the Fall of New York, it's on YouTube. I grew up loving that movie.
This looks great, I'm definitely checking it out. I thought maybe I had seen it based on the description on IMDB, but it turns out I was thinking of The New Barbarians/Warriors of the Wasteland, which I bet would be right up your alley if you haven't seen it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Maarak posted:

I never knew Bobby Hill was in movies.

So there's a reason that boy ain't right...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Maxwell Lord posted:

So there's a reason that boy ain't right...

PROPANE

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Challenge:

Does anyone dare to contest the perfection of the Jurrasic Park poster? Is there another that you believe tops it in terms of message and design?

I've tried and nothing comes close (apart from Clifford, obviously).

:catbert:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Note the gentleman near the red car who is taking advantage of the fact they don't make 50 foot panties.

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics

Now my Spanish is a little rusty, but I think that says "Mystery of the Druids."

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
It directly translates to "poo poo".

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Challenge:

Does anyone dare to contest the perfection of the Jurrasic Park poster? Is there another that you believe tops it in terms of message and design?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lizard Combatant posted:

Challenge:

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

A minimalist fan poster I really do enjoy. :3:

Very effective.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Suzuki Method posted:

A minimalist fan poster I really do enjoy. :3:

Very effective.

I would imagine it's hard to gently caress up posters for the Iron Giant.

(waits for poster of a giant screw)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

I want to own this so hard.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sheldrake posted:

I would imagine it's hard to gently caress up posters for the Iron Giant.

(waits for poster of a giant screw)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Lizard Combatant posted:

Challenge:

Either:

Or:

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
Well in my opinion the perfect poster is...

*just posts favorite posters*

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

What is going on here, is this set on a dog's back?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

*sigh*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

When posters almost become works of art next to the remake's one:

(Probably already posted a million of pages ago, but it's a favorite)