Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dissss posted:

I think that only works if you have the language under Voice set to English (US)
That's correct. There wasn't a mention of colour or cheques or lifts so I forgot everyone isn't here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilkington
Nov 5, 2005

You see, the other raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela
Just swapped to the CM 10.1 nightlies on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus and I'm liking it so far. Minor issue I've noticed though. It's using the old Calendar app so I had to download the new one, but now I have two Calendar apps. It's not that big of a deal, but how might I go about replacing the old app with the new one? I think I recall someone mentioning this in the thread a while back, but I can't seem to find it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pilkington posted:

Just swapped to the CM 10.1 nightlies on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus and I'm liking it so far. Minor issue I've noticed though. It's using the old Calendar app so I had to download the new one, but now I have two Calendar apps. It's not that big of a deal, but how might I go about replacing the old app with the new one? I think I recall someone mentioning this in the thread a while back, but I can't seem to find it.
Titanium Backup should be able to uninstall the other version.

Pilkington
Nov 5, 2005

You see, the other raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela
Well, looks like I learn something new about Titanium Backup everyday! I swear, that app is awesome but not at all intuitive sometimes. I noticed in the settings that I have the option to convert apps to user/systems apps. Should I convert the old version to a user app, uninstall, then convert the newer version to a system app to get everything as it should be?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

LastInLine posted:

FYI the 4.2.1 update on the GSM Galaxy Nexus isn't exactly what you'd call smooth or stable, but you're welcome to try it. But yes, you'll have to unlock your bootloader if you want unofficial software.
A nightly isn't going to just fix it, you need to get it working first.

4.2.1 has been rock solid on my Play Store GNex since the OTA.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

z06ck posted:

Quoting the great Plains Trains and Automobiles, "You're hosed".

Well, does it have an sd card slot?

Nevermind, read the spec sheet. Sorry.

It does have an sd slot.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

Pretty sure this is a 4.2 issue. I posted about it a few pages back, some goon said he'd try to verify on his stock 4.2 ROM, but I haven't heard back from him.

I've tested out both Endomondo and RunTracker Pro and they both do the same fuckery, so I can assume it's nothing to do specifically with Endomondo. Plus there's about 7 posts on their bug tracker (getsatisfaction.com) about it with no response from them.

Edit: by "a few pages back" I mean a few pages back in the non-rooted Android thread.
Fix submitted to CM but I don't think it's merged just yet.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Hey, I'd heard from the quality posters at xda-developers that people could swap the PRLs on their Sprint GNexes for Verizon PRLs and "roam" with much higher data rates. Now this sounds pretty awesome, but I've heard a lot of conflicting information about what this will do to your Sprint service. If I tried it I'm sure I'd get a ton of angry phone calls from Sprint about me tearing up Verizon's 3g network, but how likely am I to actually lose service? There seem to be a lot of threads on various android-centric forums where people have warned about losing their service, and then nobody in the thread ever seems to post about actually having their service revoked. Is it worth the risk?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

The Muffinlord posted:

Hey, I'd heard from the quality posters at xda-developers that people could swap the PRLs on their Sprint GNexes for Verizon PRLs and "roam" with much higher data rates. Now this sounds pretty awesome, but I've heard a lot of conflicting information about what this will do to your Sprint service. If I tried it I'm sure I'd get a ton of angry phone calls from Sprint about me tearing up Verizon's 3g network, but how likely am I to actually lose service? There seem to be a lot of threads on various android-centric forums where people have warned about losing their service, and then nobody in the thread ever seems to post about actually having their service revoked. Is it worth the risk?

If you use a bunch of data they'll cancel your contract without an ETF. Pretty straightforward.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
That's what I was afraid of, but I was holding out hope. The data rates at my workplace are abysmal, typically 200 kbps or lower, and 4g coverage on Sprint is a myth.

But they seriously wouldn't make you pay an ETF? That seems like useful information to have.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pilkington posted:

Well, looks like I learn something new about Titanium Backup everyday! I swear, that app is awesome but not at all intuitive sometimes. I noticed in the settings that I have the option to convert apps to user/systems apps. Should I convert the old version to a user app, uninstall, then convert the newer version to a system app to get everything as it should be?
It most likely won't matter. Some apps need to be installed in system due to permissions that they need (Browser, Messaging, stuff like that) but I doubt that Calender needs it. In most cases system apps are only system apps because they came with the ROM and everything in the ROM is installed to system.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

LastInLine posted:

That's correct. There wasn't a mention of colour or cheques or lifts so I forgot everyone isn't here.
It's apparently fussy to the point where even my English (Canada) locale isn't enough to get hot word detection. Thanks for solving it for me though. :)

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

amenenema posted:

If you use a bunch of data they'll cancel your contract without an ETF. Pretty straightforward.

Can you really go into a Sprint store, buy a discounted SGSIII on contract, roam like a mofo on Verizon, and essentially get a heavily discounted Page Plus phone a few months later?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Pilkington posted:

Should I convert the old version to a user app, uninstall, then convert the newer version to a system app to get everything as it should be?

You don't need to convert the old version. Titanium Backup will yank out System apps as if they were anything else. Feel free to convert the newer calendar to a system app if you desire.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Thanks so much for following up on this. I never would have found it in all the commits. Here's to hoping it makes the 20120107 nightly!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

January 2nd there were fixes merged into CM10.1 to address a wakelock (msm_hsic_wakelock) and since then users have been reporting data connectivity dropouts and GPS weirdness. Reverting those fixes seems to correct the intermittent data drops so that's what they've done. I don't know what Franco is going to do with regards to it.
Just to come back to this, Franco claims to have fixed this in the latest N4 kernel without reverting the Qualcomm wakelock fix. I haven't bothered to update yet because I'm not even seeing the problems but maybe some others are.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Radbot posted:

Can you really go into a Sprint store, buy a discounted SGSIII on contract, roam like a mofo on Verizon, and essentially get a heavily discounted Page Plus phone a few months later?

Yeah, but you won't be able to use mobile data:

http://pageplusdealer.com/PagePlus/catalog/SprintPhones.php

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Probably a strange question, but I'm about to sell my Atrix to a friend and I want to make sure I put a solid, stable ROM with great battery life on it.

It seems like this is my best bet:

http://www.montuori.net/android-mrom/atrix-mrom/

Does anyone have suggestions?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

Thanks so much for following up on this. I never would have found it in all the commits. Here's to hoping it makes the 20120107 nightly!
It's been merged so after the next build.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Does it turn into a "Bad esn?"

Thats my major question.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Been a little while since I had to mess with a new Android device, my last ones were a phone I could run Gingerbreak on and a Nook Color, so easy stuff. I did manually root a Samsung intercept via ADB and Rage, though, so I'm not adverse to some CLI fun.

What's the goon-approved method of rooting a Nexus 10? Mine's showing up tomorrow and I'd like to get it rooted before I set it up. So far I've seen the Nexus Root Tool and the Chainfire batch file method kicked around online. I'm leaning towards the Nexus Root Tool, since it does all sorts of fancy stuff like OpenRecovery and backups, but is there anything I need to keep in mind?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Echophonic posted:

Been a little while since I had to mess with a new Android device, my last ones were a phone I could run Gingerbreak on and a Nook Color, so easy stuff. I did manually root a Samsung intercept via ADB and Rage, though, so I'm not adverse to some CLI fun.

What's the goon-approved method of rooting a Nexus 10? Mine's showing up tomorrow and I'd like to get it rooted before I set it up. So far I've seen the Nexus Root Tool and the Chainfire batch file method kicked around online. I'm leaning towards the Nexus Root Tool, since it does all sorts of fancy stuff like OpenRecovery and backups, but is there anything I need to keep in mind?

With a Nexus, you should just be able to "fastboot oem unlock", assuming you have the correct drivers (on a Windows machine).

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

EbolaIvory posted:

Does it turn into a "Bad esn?"

Thats my major question.

No, the phone is perfectly fine. You can activate it on any Sprint account. I'm one of the people who got out of my contact without an etf using the prl trick.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

hooah posted:

With a Nexus, you should just be able to "fastboot oem unlock", assuming you have the correct drivers (on a Windows machine).
That's unlocking the bootloader, not rooting.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="411265485"]
No, the phone is perfectly fine. You can activate it on any Sprint account. I'm one of the people who got out of my contact without an etf using the prl trick.

Awesome.

Welp, I know how to get my roommate out of her contract now.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Echophonic posted:

What's the goon-approved method of rooting a Nexus 10?
I recommend you do it manually. You can follow this guide which I wrote for the GNex and just skip the parts about flashing the stock image since you're already on it. Make sure you use the correct CWM image for the Nexus 10, the filename will have "manta" in it. Otherwise it's identical to the steps for the GNex (or the N4 or the N7).

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Awesome.

Welp, I know how to get my roommate out of her contract now.

Just FYI I tried like 100 ways to flash an alternative radio and could never make it happen. Be careful!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Seems like the nightly CM10.1s are worth jumping to, now? I'm on a Nexus S 4G, and CM10 runs, but it hangs and lags more than I'd like, and maybe stock 4.1.1 is just all this phone can handle.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="411265485"]

Do they ban you from signing up for a new Sprint account? Because if not, this seems like a great way to abuse the subsidy system (PRL yourself out of a contract 6 months in, sign up for a new contract, buy new subsidised phone).

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
You lose your number though, so that'd be an inconvenience for most people.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Gyshall posted:

Speaking of kernels, any suggestions for a CM 10.1 on a Galaxy Nexus?

I've just been running the CM 10.1 kernels that comes with the nightlies. I just flashed the francokernel since it's mention in this thread. So we'll see what happens.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

You lose your number though, so that'd be an inconvenience for most people.

True enough, but presumably anyone with the technical expertise and fatwallet-like dedication it would take to do something like this would have no problem with using Google Voice (minus Sprint integration, of course).

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
A few days ago I rooted my Kyocera Rise. Is the Seeder app on the level? I honestly feel like it has hugely improved my phone's performance. But I think the Lifehacker article said that Google is calling it a placebo effect.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Penguissimo posted:

True enough, but presumably anyone with the technical expertise and fatwallet-like dedication it would take to do something like this would have no problem with using Google Voice (minus Sprint integration, of course).

The real question: can you do this trick on a GSM provider like AT&T or T-Mo by setting your phone to roam on whatever provider you're not currently contracted with? Sprint phones aren't worth poo poo for resale, but GSM ones sure are.

Manky posted:

A few days ago I rooted my Kyocera Rise. Is the Seeder app on the level? I honestly feel like it has hugely improved my phone's performance. But I think the Lifehacker article said that Google is calling it a placebo effect.

Check your battery life/wake times, too. I've heard that this hack can either keep your CPU at a higher frequency than it would otherwise be and/or wake it literally every second the device is on.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Manky posted:

Is the Seeder app on the level?
No it's not.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

No it's not.

Would you mind going into that?

As for battery life, it's been as good or better than it normally is - a day and a half on one charge, instead of about 3/4 of a day.

Heredity
Jan 7, 2013

Been running TripNDroid's CM10.1 on my One X for a while now. It's working out pretty well, he seems alright out ironing out bugs and taking feedback.

Kinda sick of S-ON on the One X. Sort-of regretting purchasing it at this point. It makes flashing in general a real pain.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Manky posted:

Would you mind going into that?

As for battery life, it's been as good or better than it normally is - a day and a half on one charge, instead of about 3/4 of a day.

It all seems to be more of a side effect caused by the process keeping the processor at a higher frequency. Since the processor doesn't have to ramp up because it's already at the higher frequency. You won't notice that lag time.

The reason I tie it to that is simply because several XDA developers and google employees have said that the only user that access that folder /dev/random is libcrypto, which is only tied to certain WEP_WPA and SSL tasks.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 7, 2013

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
The ONE feature I've been missing in CM10.1 that I had in CM10 has finally been added: customizable software buttons. Hurray! Not only that but it kept all my custom settings from when I had CM10.

CM10.1 has been extremely stable on my GNex since I started using it, which was the first day it was available as an official nightly. I've had great battery life, usually making it 2 full days of average use, or one full day of heavy use. The only time I've had to charge it earlier in a day is if I spent an inordinate amount of time playing games on it, or browsing SA (I love Awful Betamax, but it's amazing how much webviews kill battery life.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

rotaryfun posted:

I've just been running the CM 10.1 kernels that comes with the nightlies. I just flashed the francokernel since it's mention in this thread. So we'll see what happens.

I actually jumped onto Franco Kernel on CM10.1 last night and goddamn am I impressed with the battery life so far. Usually, my phone will be at ~70% battery by noon - right now I'm sitting on 94% still.