Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

penismightier posted:

What is going on here, is this set on a dog's back?

It's set in the Land of Robotic Butt-Plugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Uh... I think Diane Kruger's feet are on backwards.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait, that's not a poster for a sequel to The Island?

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
In addition to backwards feet, her shadow is doin something crazy too.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The thing that gets me about this is that the egg used in the poster and in the trailer looks nothing like the alien egg featured in the film. It's like Scott only gave a handful of clips and stills to the marketing department and said "give me your best guess". In addition to the egg, I think that the ground is made of nude people interlocking with one another. It's like the marketing department interpreted the data they were getting from the film production and conceived wholly similar in nature and tone but of different execution. What you're seeing is some "artist conception" of Alien, much like you would see of some top secret aircraft or big-dollar NASA project. Something like that would never happen today.

Nevertheless, it's simplicity yet unusual design (one would say alien) is pretty iconic. I recall the California Avocado Commission put out a similar billboard ad that featured an avocado bursting with a green irradiating light.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Young Freud posted:

I recall the California Avocado Commission put out a similar billboard ad that featured an avocado bursting with a green irradiating light.

Now, this I've gotta see!

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Young Freud posted:

In addition to the egg, I think that the ground is made of nude people interlocking with one another.

You just made this poster a millions times better for me.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

Now, this I've gotta see!

I was trying to find it, but alas, no luck. I think the ad copy was something lame like "Californian Avocados are OUT OF THIS WORLD!"

Terminal Entropy posted:

You just made this poster a millions times better for me.

I swear I remember reading something about the creation of the poster and I think this is how it happened, with a lot of lighting and mirror tricks to inflate the number of people in involved and the egg added in the dark room exposure (the '70s equivalent of Photoshop). Even if there was no human involvement, it's hard not to look at that poster and see numerous flanks of a human legs in it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Young Freud posted:

The thing that gets me about this is that the egg used in the poster and in the trailer looks nothing like the alien egg featured in the film. It's like Scott only gave a handful of clips and stills to the marketing department and said "give me your best guess". In addition to the egg, I think that the ground is made of nude people interlocking with one another. It's like the marketing department interpreted the data they were getting from the film production and conceived wholly similar in nature and tone but of different execution. What you're seeing is some "artist conception" of Alien, much like you would see of some top secret aircraft or big-dollar NASA project. Something like that would never happen today.

Nevertheless, it's simplicity yet unusual design (one would say alien) is pretty iconic. I recall the California Avocado Commission put out a similar billboard ad that featured an avocado bursting with a green irradiating light.

Speaking of Alien egg imagery, I saw these Glad Garbage Bags at the store the other day:

Not that far off from looking like this:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Holy poo poo I never even noticed that stuff at the bottom. I always just saw it as some kind of organic mass like the xenomorphs build when they nest.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If you want a poster with nude interlocking people, there's always Silence of The Lambs.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I took like 2 months for this to arrive from Canada and then another month for me to get it framed and I still haven't gotten around to putting it up. It should be noted that the blues are closer to the image you posted than how they appear in mine.

I went with the same black matte with a painted bezel as I did with my Kill Bill poster.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

I'm pretty sure my friends and I saw this while drinking one time. We were having tons of fun, laughing at how over the top and badass it was. There was this crazy battle plan where the main guy took on the entire gang by being a crazy badass, and was winning. Then... he took a wrong turn, had his plan back fire, was captured, publicly raped by the gang leader in retaliation, and left crucified to die.

Party reaction: :stare:

We waited a respectful 10 minutes, then put on something else.

Might be a different movie, but I googled, and recognized some costumes and one character.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I want to own this so hard.

Agreed. More importantly, I want to see that movie.

Holy poo poo I just realized what they're telling me to look closer at, how did I miss that? :psyduck:
A rose without thorns.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

casa de mi padre posted:

Well in my opinion the perfect poster is...

*just posts favorite posters*

That was sort of the idea, people were getting into a right funk.

Still, nothing's topped Jurrassic Park so far...

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Uh... This comes pretty close though.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
I seriously need to see Dracula Has Risen from the Grave because that poster is awesome and that's probably the best tagline ever.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Desperado Bones posted:

When posters almost become works of art next to the remake's one:

I always loved this one so much as a kid, because the wonky perspective of the face and hand manages to transcend how amateur it may look and implies a dream-like logic that the Nightmare series always strived for but rarely truly achieved.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wait, that's not a poster for a sequel to The Island?

I personally can't wait to see "CHOOSE TO FIGHT THE HOST"

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Lizard Combatant posted:

That was sort of the idea, people were getting into a right funk.

Still, nothing's topped Jurrassic Park so far...

You don't think Metropolis topped it? C'mon.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

DNS posted:

You don't think Metropolis topped it? C'mon.

It is amazing and one of favourites (I have it on my door), but in terms of pure efficency of message? No, Jurrasic Park is unsurpassed.

In that sense, it's perhaps a little unfair to compare 'logo' posters to others, but even the choice of using a logo for JP tells you so much about the film.

I really need prints of Jaws and Aoft50'W, I forgot how gorgeous they are.

e: Oh, and Dracula Has Risen From The Grave... obviously

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 7, 2013

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Nothing to see here, everyone. Move along now.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Vagabundo posted:

Who ever 'shopped this should be ashamed of themselves. Look at Pacino's hair!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vagabundo posted:

Alan Arkin looks a hell of a lot like Mike from Breaking Bad :stare:

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"

Vagabundo posted:

I didn't think they'd make another Three Stooges movie so soon.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Cross posting from the Horror thread:

I think LtKenFrankenstein said it best in said horror thread: The greatest thing about the poster is that THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENS IN THE FILM. God bless it.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Saturniid19 posted:

Now my Spanish is a little rusty, but I think that says "Mystery of the Druids."

That's so close to Screaming Druid that it can't be unintentional. Just look at it!

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Vagabundo posted:

I want this framed on my wall. I don't know what it is that just does it for me, but I just can't stop laughing.

Edit: I think its Pacino's face.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I've probably seen this poster a thousand times but never actually looked at it. Always just saw it as a guy standing in the light of the street but now I see that the streetlight and the other windows are quite dim compared to the crazy bright supernatural light beaming out of the top-left window directly at and only at The Exorcist. Like being targeted by Sauron's eye, or being caught in a tractor beam.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Mister Chief posted:

I took like 2 months for this to arrive from Canada and then another month for me to get it framed and I still haven't gotten around to putting it up. It should be noted that the blues are closer to the image you posted than how they appear in mine.

I went with the same black matte with a painted bezel as I did with my Kill Bill poster.

That looks incredible. Can I ask about the mat? Did you have it professionally framed or did you paint it yourself? I'd love to try doing that myself for a frame job but am not sure about the logistics.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

I've never heard anything confirming this but I've always thought that the poster for The Fly was kindof a ripoff takeoff of the Alien poster.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Holy poo poo I just realized what they're telling me to look closer at, how did I miss that? :psyduck:
A rose without thorns.

Unfortunately, the obvious implication of that picture and tag line combined is that you're literally navel-gazing. This is on the whole a fairly accurate description of the movie, although it does sell it short.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Max22 posted:

Uh... I think Diane Kruger's feet are on backwards.

This made my morning.

Edit: and while we're on the subject of American Beauty it sure is weird timing that this ripoff just came out...

kiimo fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 7, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've always been partial to this one:

It tells you everything you need to know, really.

EDIT: Love how Robocop is in the cast list.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 7, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Sadly you have to go to, uh, Thailand or something to get a poster that accurately advertises the shitshow that was Robocop 3.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Renoistic posted:

I've always been partial to this one:

It tells you everything you need to know, really.

EDIT: Love how Robocop is in the cast list.

He isn't. If you look at the credits box on posters that have a full one you'll usually find the title in it somewhere next to the names of the cast. Headlining stars will be before the title, lesser cast members come after it. For example, that awful Pacino poster has AL PACINO CHRISTOPHER WALKEN ALAN ARKIN "Movie Title" THE REST OF THE CAST. Superstars like Cruise or Arnie tend to get top billing to themselves, and sometimes a movie will have no top billed cast - The Fly is one of those.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

I'm pretty sure my friends and I saw this while drinking one time. We were having tons of fun, laughing at how over the top and badass it was. There was this crazy battle plan where the main guy took on the entire gang by being a crazy badass, and was winning. Then... he took a wrong turn, had his plan back fire, was captured, publicly raped by the gang leader in retaliation, and left crucified to die.

Party reaction: :stare:

We waited a respectful 10 minutes, then put on something else.

Might be a different movie, but I googled, and recognized some costumes and one character.

It might be a sequel but that sounds like the end of Warriors of the Wasteland which is available from Rifftrax.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
So a lot of people have been saying that "Movie 43" looks like some continuation of the apparently godawful "Underground Comedy Movie". Well, guess what...

This movie is literally from the people behind "Underground Comedy Movie", and I'm willing to guess its been shelved for a few years but is now getting a release thanks to the similar "Movie 43".

EDIT: I just noticed something odd. Ari Shaffir is top-billed in the credit block at the bottom (in addition to being a co-writer), but is not featured at the cast list on the top of the poster. Also, Freestyle Releasing is the same distributor that put "The Nutcracker in 3D", "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell", "In the Name of the King", "Postal", "Seed", "Dragon Wars", and "Delgo" into theaters. Hoo boy...

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 7, 2013

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

What the gently caress is Adrien Brody doing in this?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I still remember going to see Dragon Wars in theaters the night it opened. I was one of like 10 people in the theater. I walked out having enjoyed myself v:shobon:v

It was almost like a well-done Asylum movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

kiimo posted:

What the gently caress is Adrien Brody doing in this?

Being a Master of Style doesn't pay the bills like it used to.