Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Sockington posted:

Why would you have to eat the cost? Tell them the car is not shifting properly and let them diagnose.

It's why you have a warranty.

Dealer says the next step is to open up the transmission. Warranty says if they open up the transmission and find out there's nothing wrong then they don't pay for the labor. Should I get a second opinion from another mechanic? Don't much trust dealers so I was looking for things I could check myself or have somebody else check out before I go that far.

e: basically if I can be reasonably sure it's just the synchros I've got nothing to worry about, so I want to eliminate other possibilities first

Synonamess Botch fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Why isn't it, "My transmission shifts like a bag of poo poo. It won't go into fourth or fifth gear properly. Since this is a warrantied vehicle, please give me a loaner while YOU(dealer) figure it out."

Car buyers aren't mechanics. Why should YOU have the responsibility to identify the problem on a warrantied item?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sockington posted:

Why isn't it, "My transmission shifts like a bag of poo poo. It won't go into fourth or fifth gear properly. Since this is a warrantied vehicle, please give me a loaner while YOU(dealer) figure it out."

Car buyers aren't mechanics. Why should YOU have the responsibility to identify the problem on a warrantied item?

Yeah, that's exactly the way it should be approached.

When I had a 3rd gear synchro crunch on my 2002, I demonstrated it to the service manager and essentially said "fix it." It's up to them to figure out what needs to be done to fix it. If part of that is splitting the case, then that's something they pay for under warranty.

If they are worried it's fluid, that's fine too. They just pay to replace the fluid and see if it goes away.

Unless they try to pull the abuse card, the situation is essentially a black box to you. You hand over your car until it's not screwing up anymore and they pay for the whole thing.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Sockington posted:

It isn't that because that's not how the warranty contract works. I have to authorize the tear-down and I am responsible for the charges if it is deemed not covered by the warranty, full stop. I'm just trying to cover my bases, here.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Synonamess Botch posted:

It isn't that because that's not how the warranty contract works. I have to authorize the tear-down and I am responsible for the charges if it is deemed not covered by the warranty, full stop. I'm just trying to cover my bases, here.

Having gotten my first warrantied car last year and not used it much is this a Subaru warranty you are talking about or a third party warranty? Because it sounds hosed up and I should go read my warranty if you are on a Subaru one.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Synonamess Botch posted:

That sounds like utter BS to me. That's not how warranty works, certainly not a Subaru one.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Synonamess Botch posted:

How many miles are on the car? Who changed the gear oil last and what oil was used? I'd start playing dumb at this point, like what everyone else is suggesting. The part is under warranty, give them the car tell them what's going on, have them diagnose and fix it. You should in no way be responsible for diagnosis of a problem with the vehicle while it is under warranty. Might be worth putting a call into SOA.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Synonamess Botch posted:

Dealer says the next step is to open up the transmission. Warranty says if they open up the transmission and find out there's nothing wrong then they don't pay for the labor.

These two lines, back to back, are hilarious.

Dealer says we have to open it up to fix a warranty issue. Warranty says, if there is no issue, then they don't pay for labour.... TO THE DEALER. :v:

The only reason you should be taking out your wallet is to be packing it full of dealer business cards for your SOA phone call.

Of course, none of this applies to a Lubrico****TM warranty type poo poo.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Totally TWISTED posted:

Having gotten my first warrantied car last year and not used it much is this a Subaru warranty you are talking about or a third party warranty? Because it sounds hosed up and I should go read my warranty if you are on a Subaru one.

My wife got it through the dealership, but it is third party, not Subaru. VehicleOne specifically.

Cat Terrist posted:

That sounds like utter BS to me.

I agree, but I'm working with what I've got here.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Where do you live? Maybe goons know a sympathetic dealer. I actually had to do that for my 2003 WRX but it was a factory warranty.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

CharlesM posted:

Where do you live? Maybe goons know a sympathetic dealer. I actually had to do that for my 2003 WRX but it was a factory warranty.

Lehigh Valley, PA.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Associate I work with brought his GF's 1998 Legacy to Midas for new brakes. They did rotors and pads all around, and front calipers as they said they were frozen. Now it has a "front right wheel wobbles and throbbing starts when rolling and stops when applying brakes."

I wish he had asked me before he went to a national chain, as I never trust any of them.

Thoughts? My guess is either a wheel bearing or they messed up the brakes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Really 2002, I'm sorry I haven't driven you as much in the past two years, but that's no reason to get spiteful!

Fixed (patched) the coolant leak for now and I'm getting brake fluid leaking somewhere in the front driver's side brake assembly.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
An update on my CEL's if anyone's curious: I had the tuner disable the P0420 code and remove the rear 02 spacer. My fuel economy has improved by almost 3 mpg and I'm not longer getting the P2096 and P0137's I was getting before. This of course makes sense as the two codes I just mentioned are essentially the rear 02 sensor not getting enough/incorrect data from not being as close to the exhaust stream as it should be. The MPG issue makes me certain that there is feedback between the rear 02 and the ECU other than just telling it about cat efficiency. This wasn't the case in older model WRX's, I know, but it's definitely the case now! Hopefully I can pass inspection with just the one code disabled, I have 9 months to worry about it, heh.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

daslog posted:

Associate I work with brought his GF's 1998 Legacy to Midas for new brakes. They did rotors and pads all around, and front calipers as they said they were frozen. Now it has a "front right wheel wobbles and throbbing starts when rolling and stops when applying brakes."

I wish he had asked me before he went to a national chain, as I never trust any of them.

Thoughts? My guess is either a wheel bearing or they messed up the brakes.

That's a dead, dead, dead wheel bearing / maybe hub. Lightly-frozen caliper might have been keeping them in line by maintaining pressure on the rotor.

God help you(r friend) if this car lives or has lived anywhere in a rust belt, at any time. Just replace the hub(s) with the bearing(s) and pretend it's normal to do so.

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005
I'm looking at the new Outbacks and I need a little bit of advice about which transmission to get/test drives. I probably want to stick with the 2.5 but I'm not a fan of nor have I heard good things about CVT's. I like the idea of driving a manual but have never driven one as my DD. My dad did make me learn to drive one before I could get my license but learning how to drive one 10+ years ago and being proficient are obviously two different things. I'm assuming they probably don't want me test driving their new manual outback when I'm not good at driving one right? What's the best way to go about this with being able to tell how the car drives and if it's got enough power to move that fatty crossover wagon body around?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Braggo posted:

I'm looking at the new Outbacks and I need a little bit of advice about which transmission to get/test drives. I probably want to stick with the 2.5 but I'm not a fan of nor have I heard good things about CVT's. I like the idea of driving a manual but have never driven one as my DD. My dad did make me learn to drive one before I could get my license but learning how to drive one 10+ years ago and being proficient are obviously two different things. I'm assuming they probably don't want me test driving their new manual outback when I'm not good at driving one right? What's the best way to go about this with being able to tell how the car drives and if it's got enough power to move that fatty crossover wagon body around?

Just don't tell them you're bad at driving a manual. The new 6speeds are pretty nice to drive. Although they're cable shift, so in 10 years they'll probably all suck.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Braggo posted:

I first drove a manual when a girl I was dating in highschool decided she needed to teach me in her 88 Volvo wagon. That was about a 10 minute lesson. The next time I drove stick was 7 years later on a Jeep test drive. I did not buy that Jeep. When I test drove my Subaru this summer 3 years after the Jeep test drive, I just got right in and started doing it.

Sure, my 1-2 shift was horrible for the first month, but it was easy enough to get the car moving for the test drive and the drive home later that night.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

My apologies if this has been done/asked to death, but...

Will a 3" axelback exhaust for a 2006 WRX Wagon fit onto the stock exhaust for a 2002 Impreza TS? Both cars are wagons, and it is my understanding that the routing for the axelbacks are the same, but everything up front differs (for one, obviously, the WRX has an up & down pipe, and the headers are different). I'm looking to eventually put in UEL headers and have some kind of midpipe made up, but a good deal on an axelback has come up and I'd like to grab it if I can.

If it won't currently fit/work on my car (the 02 TS), what will have to be done/modded so it will?

I realize this question is kind of rice-y, but I want to let the boxer rumble out!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

chrisgt posted:

Just don't tell them you're bad at driving a manual. The new 6speeds are pretty nice to drive. Although they're cable shift, so in 10 years they'll probably all suck.

Yeah, I agree. I have a '12 Outback with the 2.5 and a manual transmission, and it's super smooth and easy to learn. My girlfriend picked it up after a few lessons, and my girlfriend's mom (who last drove a stick in the 70s) was toodling along no problem.

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005
Thanks guys, guess I'll just go and tell them I want to test drive it. Hopefully I'll be joining the Subaru club in the next month or two. I've already got a beard but I'll need to get some flannel.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Captain McAllister posted:

My apologies if this has been done/asked to death, but...

Will a 3" axelback exhaust for a 2006 WRX Wagon fit onto the stock exhaust for a 2002 Impreza TS? Both cars are wagons, and it is my understanding that the routing for the axelbacks are the same, but everything up front differs (for one, obviously, the WRX has an up & down pipe, and the headers are different). I'm looking to eventually put in UEL headers and have some kind of midpipe made up, but a good deal on an axelback has come up and I'd like to grab it if I can.

If it won't currently fit/work on my car (the 02 TS), what will have to be done/modded so it will?

I realize this question is kind of rice-y, but I want to let the boxer rumble out!

3" is too big for an NA subaru IMO, keep it to 2.25.

You'd at least need to adapt a smaller pipe to the bigger WRX junk. The hangers should be close enough. IMO it's not worth it and NA subarus sound like rear end regardless. I say all this, but then I talk about putting a fart can on my race car in IRC all the time. So YMMV

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Here is a thread I referenced when putting a WRX exhaust on my N/A 2.5

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f5/t109747-those-wanting-run-gd-wrx-sti-catback-gc.html

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Cross post from stupid questions:

2006 Saab 9-2x Aero ( = WRX)

When I start the car after it's been sitting in cold (30-50 F), I hear a bit of squeaking under the hood, like a slippery belt. The steering wheel shakes a bit and pushes back against turns for the first minute. After that first minute, the steering responds normally and the sound goes away, except when I turn the wheel full lock in either direction.

Here is video, you'll need to turn it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwMpWBUptXI

Ideas on what's going on?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I didn't watch the video, but it sounds to me like the accessory belt to the power steering pump is slipping when cold. This would lead to variable power available to the power steering which would account for the wheel shake.

It's a cheap and easy fix. Parts are maybe $20 or so for both belts (I would replace both while I had it apart because it's only a matter of time before the AC belt starts going now too.) It's not too difficult, but it can get slightly frustrating lining everything up.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

blk posted:

Ideas on what's going on?

Are you losing any fluid? Have you tried running a bit of ATF through it? This sounds like the well-known steering pump failure, but I'm not willing to jump directly there. How is the belt? Is it tight? FWIW, pretty sure you have the STI steering rack so it's going to be cheaper through a Subaru parts dealer/etc than a SAAB one..

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

jamal posted:

The turbo water pump inlets are cast aluminum. The bolt pattern should be the same. 11060AA061

Wooo, digging up old post. Bought the cast aluminum part. Had someone cut, rotate, and reweld it. Currently, there is a mystery lower radiator hose from a BMW? shoved onto it which "works". Obviously, I cannot use the stock molded rubber hoses and I'd like to upgrade to silicon hoses anyways.

jamal - Do you know of any flexible silicon rad hoses that would work? I think the stock subaru poo poo is all 1.5" ID hose? Looks like Samco makes something called superflex/ultraflex?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Sounds like the belt. And the Subaru pumps themselves don't fail that often, what happens is that the hose from the reservoir gets old and lets some air into the system. This makes your steering pump make a whining/groaning noise and eventually the air will damage the pump.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

jamal posted:

This makes your steering pump make a whining/groaning noise and eventually the air will damage the pump.

I've never met a 9-2x owner who could change their own oil. Just sayin'.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Viggen posted:

I've never met a 9-2x owner who could change their own oil. Just sayin'.

I can change oil, thanks, although I haven't done it on this car yet, and I have little mechanical experience otherwise.

Not losing fluid, haven't tried ATF, belt feels tight. Maybe I should try replacing it anyways.

jamal posted:

Sounds like the belt. And the Subaru pumps themselves don't fail that often, what happens is that the hose from the reservoir gets old and lets some air into the system. This makes your steering pump make a whining/groaning noise and eventually the air will damage the pump.

Anyway to tell if there's air in the system besides seeing foaminess in the reservoir?

blk fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 9, 2013

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

blk posted:

Anyway to tell if there's air in the system besides seeing foaminess in the reservoir?

Don't bother. It's your belt. Either tighten it or replace it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Eh, nm.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Braggo posted:

The Impreza I had for a loaner recently had a CVT. It seemed fine to me. Not like I really did any extended testing though.

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005

CharlesM posted:

The Impreza I had for a loaner recently had a CVT. It seemed fine to me. Not like I really did any extended testing though.

Interesting, does anyone else have experience with the CVTs?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Braggo posted:

I had a '12 loaner Legacy 4-door while my Impreza (manual '12) was getting looked at for 2-3 days. Seemed just like any other automatic to me but I didn't do anything crazy or racing with it.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I picked up some Rotella 5w40 and a bottle of Lucas oil stabiliser, and if there's room in the shop tomorrow at lunch I'm going to change my oil and see if this poo poo will quiet my horrifyingly loud piston slap. I'd like for it to be as quiet at cold start as it currently is when hot, but we'll see. :ohdear:

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005

Totally TWISTED posted:

I had a '12 loaner Legacy 4-door while my Impreza (manual '12) was getting looked at for 2-3 days. Seemed just like any other automatic to me but I didn't do anything crazy or racing with it.

Hah, don't know how crazy or racing I'll be able to be with an Outback. Really I just want to be able to get around/away from terrible SC drivers.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Braggo posted:

Yes.

Avoid at all costs. Worse than automatics.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Braggo posted:

Hah, don't know how crazy or racing I'll be able to be with an Outback. Really I just want to be able to get around/away from terrible TN drivers.

I certainly did that in it :getin:

However I'm certainly less of a car savvy pro when compared to Cat Terrist. Would you summarize what makes CVT horrible? I'm actually interested because the SO is considering Subaru and doesn't want a manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Cat Terrist posted:

Yes.

Avoid at all costs. Worse than automatics.
On this kind of thing take anything Cat says with a grain of salt. He's super-opinionated about transmissions.