Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
I have no idea what theme you're using since when I went to your site earlier I got redirected to some malware site. We're bringing your theme up because due to the way WordPress is written, it's possible for a theme to introduce a security hole, and it's just another thing for you to treat as a possibly source of the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

DNQ posted:

Thanks all.

I installed WordPress manually and have updated to 3.5 very recently.

Regarding the suggestion to remove the theme, is that due to any particular vulnerability around the theme I'm using, or just generic advice to remove malware?
It's likely that you got your theme from a shady site without knowing.

http://wpmu.org/why-you-should-never-search-for-free-wordpress-themes-in-google-or-anywhere-else/

It happens a lot. Stick to http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/ for your themes, or try one of the links that the article recommends.

e: that is an old article which talks about wordpress.org not having that many themes for 3.0 and later. You can ignore that, as there are plenty now.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I would really like to have French and English content for each page, with the option to switch between French and English sites. To complicate matters, this site has an existing user registration required for some of its pages. I'm trying to think of this simplest way to achieve the language switch, hopefully without having to make two parallel websites which share log in credentials. The plugins I found for alternate languages all seem to be translation programs, which I do not want. Does anyone have any tips or experiences with alternate page languages?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
A few more suggestions:

1. Try a plugin like "Theme Authenticity Checker (TAC)" and WordFence to scan your wordpress install for malicious poo poo, or for insecure poo poo
2. Renaming the wp-content directory to something else is good as well. Google a guide
3. Make sure your DB is locked down so that only your server/Wordpress can access it
4. Change SQL passwords
5. Make sure you have the right permissions on all the wordpress core files (everything not in the wp-content directory)
6. Change the built in admin account to something other than admin

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Does anyone know how to "reset" the Wordpress File Monitor Plus plugin?

We were using it on a site but then we completely redid the hosting setup, it now thinks that every single file on the site has changed. We really love the plugin -- lovely backstop against hackers, also helps us see when the content types gently caress something up. But we need it to a bit smarter.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
I have kind of a head scratcher:

Most of my learning curve for WP was figuring out how to wrangle it into doing things "the right way" instead of the WP way - while making some compromises along the way. In this case I've been writing templates that correctly enqueue the JS in the page footer, but I've been forced to put JQuery in the head since a whole lot of plugins tend to break if I don't. I unregister WP's JQuery and reregister JQuery 1.8 or whatever by pulling it from Google's CDN to take advantage of browser caching.

I just found out that this is a really bad idea for client sites; future plugin updates and such may require newer versions of JQuery, but my stupid rear end has it hardcoded to 1.8.4.

How concerned should I be about this in terms of a potential rush of clients emailing me that their dumb giant slider is broken? I figure there's likely at least a good year or so of lag time before popular plugin authors abandon support for the current bleeding-edge version of JQuery. If that's the case, I don't give a gently caress about cranky old clients. If people come complaining way down the line, I'll blame it on a bad update or something and push a fix as the cases come in (for free, obviously).

Edit: Also, since I just found this thread, any tips on selling plugins? I've had to do a fair share of custom plugin work for popular stuff like woocommerce that I think people would like. One of these days I'll get the projects up on github, but it could be nice to make some residuals too I guess.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 3, 2013

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I guess this is more of a "I want to make sure I'm googling the right things before I bug you guys" question than an actual Wordpress question, but here goes:

My boss has become obsessed with EVERYTHING MUST BE WORDPRESS!!@!!! Which is fine, assuming that doing what we need to in Wordpress isn't a huge pain in the rear. If we need to develop a site where WP will be used as a CMS. For generic pages, this is fine and dandy. When it gets to creating custom objects, what's the right term for that in WP? Custom Post? An example would be a 'Project' object that has 1-3 photos, some attributes like date started, title, etc. that would be single strings, some other attributes that would be displayed as a list, so we'd have to store multiple strings for each attribute, and then some formatted text (which I imagine would be the "normal" post content.) Each project has n contact people, who would be another Custom post type (I guess.)

Is that the right thing I should be looking into? My searches come up with Custom Taxonomies as well... would I use that over a Custom Post, or in conjunction? How hard / easy is it to do to-many relationships in WP, and what is that called?

Thanks for any help.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Custom Post Types, and you want the "Types" plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/types/

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.

Gyshall posted:

Custom Post Types, and you want the "Types" plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/types/

Have you used Advanced Custom Fields (http://advancedcustomfields.com/)? I am wondering how you liked Types, especially in comparison to ACF. I know ACF has some paid plugins so many people avoid it, but so far I haven't found anything to be lacking (especially with regard to quick upgrades when WordPress releases new versions).

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have not used ACF, but I will give them a shot. Types just "makes sense" to me from a Custom Post Type GUI standpoint - and their complimentary plugin, Views, is very good too (although paid.)

It looks like they more or less do the same thing though. I've got a new project I'm going to be working on soon that I think I'll give ACF a spin. Is it completely free?

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Gyshall posted:

I've got a new project I'm going to be working on soon that I think I'll give ACF a spin. Is it completely free?

ACF does not handle creating Custom Post Types - it's geared towards Custom Meta Boxes only. I use two of the paid addons constantly (repeater field addon and options page addon), although I admit I did some minor licensing hacking to "test them out" thoroughly before I actually paid for them. I actually bought another addon (flexible content addon) I didn't even need just because the author is a great guy. I haven't tried out the gallery addon yet.

I've heard good things about Types and I've been meaning to try it out for a few months. ACF has great licensing terms (it's practically the honor system) but I always prefer 100% free software.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Ah I see. In that case, Types does both Custom Fields/Meta and Custom Posts.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Thanks you guys, much appreciated.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I use google webmaster tools for my wordpress site and in the last month I started getting a lot of code 500 errors reported in the plugins directory

The codes are like:

wp-content/plugins/all-in-one-seo-pack/all_in_one_seo_pack.php

wp-content/plugins/getid3/module.audio.flac.php

I recently upgraded my web hosting account so they put it on a different server -do you think that caused it? What should I do?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Oh! one question I forgot to ask (but I guess I need to wait 22+ hours for multiple answers to, hehe) is can you "link" custom objets (Custom Posts Types) as properties / attribues of another Custom Post? For example can a "Project" custom post have a "Contact Person" field, and I can assign one or more "Person" custom Posts as the value?

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Lumpy posted:

Oh! one question I forgot to ask (but I guess I need to wait 22+ hours for multiple answers to, hehe) is can you "link" custom objets (Custom Posts Types) as properties / attribues of another Custom Post? For example can a "Project" custom post have a "Contact Person" field, and I can assign one or more "Person" custom Posts as the value?

This is supported in ACF using a "relationship" field. Here is a quick UI I added to one of my development sites to show selecting a "page" post type.

http://i.imgur.com/NLLRZ.png?1

Lately I've just been treating ACF like a tree database and it's not to hard to click around and change your storage between a simple nested array inside a single custom post type object (this will just create a ton of meta fields for a single post - no individual post exists in WordPress for each child item) vs. breaking an ACF Field into its own Custom Post Type (the containing post would only have a relationship integer in its meta field to link the foreign key of the other post - the other individual posts contain the sub items).

The only hard part is when you want to migrate all your posts from one format to the other - you'd have to write a one-time script to migrate your data to the new mechanism. I usually just recreate the data by hand, honestly...

Stoph fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 5, 2013

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Stoph posted:

This is supported in ACF using a "relationship" field. Here is a quick UI I added to one of my development sites to show selecting a "page" post type.

http://i.imgur.com/NLLRZ.png?1

Lately I've just been treating ACF like a tree database and it's not to hard to click around and change your storage between a simple nested array inside a single custom post type object (this will just create a ton of meta fields for a single post - no individual post exists in WordPress for each child item) vs. breaking an ACF Field into its own Custom Post Type (the containing post would only have a relationship integer in its meta field to link the foreign key of the other post - the other individual posts contain the sub items).

The only hard part is when you want to migrate all your posts from one format to the other - you'd have to write a one-time script to migrate your data to the new mechanism. I usually just recreate the data by hand, honestly...

Looks almost perfect, except for the ability to add multiple entities; in your example, could you have multiple detail pages?

Thanks again for all the help. WP is like a strange, foreign land compared to ever other web framework I've interacted with.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone have any idea what's causing this display error in my admin bar, with "new" being displayed below the box? Up-to-date install of Wordpress and Buddypress with the Frisco theme.

I tried changing themes and the problem persists.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's weird as poo poo, because my second WP site doesn't have the problem, and I can deactivate every plugin and still have the problem.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
I need a plugin that would restrict registered users to only be able to add, and edit pages in specific sections. Like, if I have a category called "Robot Maintenance", I want to make sure that only people assigned that category can edit and create pages in said category. It would also be nice if they could create sub sections too.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
User Role Editor will do that:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/user-role-editor/

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
Does anyone know of an LDAP plugin for automated blog membership in a multi-site instance? We already have an SSO solution but it would be really handy to say "the users identified by this LDAP filter should be members of this blog"

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
This is a rather obscure question, but I don't know of anywhere else on the internet that has a chance of knowing the answer to this, so here it is without dumping too much detail:

Currently working on an education-oriented social WP site using BuddyPress, etc. We need (would really like) the ability to auto-generate Google Hangout sessions at specific times for specific groups in a user-friendly way. In a nutshell, we have a "group" which consists of a professor + students. That professor should be able to schedule a Hangout session for a specific time each week, share it with the group, and enable the ability for students to click a link to enter the hangout. From the poking I've done, I've found this plugin for Hangout Event notifications:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/yakadanda-google-hangout-events/

and the general Google Hangout API. These are great and all, but it seems to accommodate a single site > hangout scenario, complete with having to generate API keys and such. I need the ability to generate user-specific hangouts that are completely discrete and unrelated to one another. Is there a better way than generating site-wide API keys and such, then using php trickery to attempt to keep Hangout A separate from Hangout B?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Ok, thought I was done, but apparently not. Some of our customers see our new site, and some of our customers that have been to the site before do not see the new site. Even after clearing their cache.

One thing I thought of, when I moved Wordpress.com to Bluehost, I changed my Wordpress.com DNS over to bluehost DNS servers. Then, I installed Wordpress.org and have been going from there. Would that have anything to do with the Wordpress.com old blog still showing up because it's fighting the Wordpress.org DNS?

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

So its just a role editor like the "Members" plugin? I guess the only thing I could do is like, make a role that only allows users to edit pages that they own. And then an administrator would have to manually create pages and change ownership to each user?

I just noticed that wordpress pages don't have categories, I was hoping I could create a role (for say, a department) and configure that role to be able to edit and create pages with the {department} category. Or even limit users to specific categories.

That doesn't exist does it?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Anyone know of a good multiple content block plugin that works with WP's revision tracking? I just realized the other day that Multiple Content Blocks doesn't, which is problematic. Apparently they're working on it, but who knows when it'll be done.

\/\/ Advanced Custom Fields looks like exactly what I need, and way more user friendly than MCB. Thanks!

kedo fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 9, 2013

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

kedo posted:

Anyone know of a good multiple content block plugin that works with WP's revision tracking? I just realized the other day that Multiple Content Blocks doesn't, which is problematic. Apparently they're working on it, but who knows when it'll be done.

You could try adding a WYSIWYG field with the Advanced Custom Fields plugin. I'm pretty sure it works with revisions. Someone else here mentioned Types, you could try that as well.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
This is driving me insane. What I want is a plugin that will add a +1 or -1 rating system to each post on my blog. All of the plugins I've tried have either thrown errors, haven't automatically inserted themselves after each post, or only offer star ratings and not the simple +1/-1 system. The one I would like to use is GD Star Ratings, but the 1.9 version doesn't seem to allow you to turn off thumb ratings on a category-by-category basis which is a requirement for me. So I got the 2.0 beta and that doesn't even seem to have a settings page (it loads up blank).

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Ok, I'm sick of this all. I've spent almost an entire work week just troubleshooting my website and just problem after problem pops up.

- Permalinks only work using default. But, now after I've swapped them around so much trying to get them to work, the navigation menu doesn't have the correct links now. But, I'd rather have mysite.com/events rather than mysite.com/I'd=p118 whatever.
- Old Wordpress.com website still likes to load for users who have previously accessed the page before the move to bluehost and Wordpress.org
- The website is slow
- I can't get the header to rotate images, I'm stuck with a static header
- I don't understand SEO stuff
- The home page and other pages don't update with new posts now. Like, I added an event AND made a post about it. Home page doesn't show the new page and the Event page doesn't show the new event even though the event page and spot page work if you type in the URL.

Because of all of this, I've got peeved employees who haven't been able to access the schedule for the past two weeks, and I'm sending a bunch of important emails out to bands & agencies, only to have the website mess up on them.

Is there anybody I can trust to be able to clean my stuff up and just get it to a point that it WORKS?!

I am willing to pay money. But, I need some kind of track record so I know I'm not gonna be screwed cause this is an important website for a business that I've worked hard for.

https://www.bearsdenpizza.com

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know of a way to make a "landing page" of sorts. Where customers are directed from a blog to download either a free brochure or to view a video but have to give a name and email address first and than clicking submit leads them to the page with the brochure or video and submits the info to me?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Flaggy posted:

Does anyone know of a way to make a "landing page" of sorts. Where customers are directed from a blog to download either a free brochure or to view a video but have to give a name and email address first and than clicking submit leads them to the page with the brochure or video and submits the info to me?

You're basically just talking about making a simple website. You could potentially accomplish this with a basic WP install and various plugins, but I'm guessing you might be kind of new to this and it'd probably be a huuuuuuge timesink for you. Hiring a web designer / developer may be a better option.

e: Also if you're forcing someone to give you their name and email address before letting them download a brochure or view a video it'd better be a drat good brochure or video, otherwise you're just going to piss off all your users. Most users just won't give you their details anyways.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

You're basically just talking about making a simple website. You could potentially accomplish this with a basic WP install and various plugins, but I'm guessing you might be kind of new to this and it'd probably be a huuuuuuge timesink for you. Hiring a web designer / developer may be a better option.

e: Also if you're forcing someone to give you their name and email address before letting them download a brochure or view a video it'd better be a drat good brochure or video, otherwise you're just going to piss off all your users. Most users just won't give you their details anyways.

Well right now we use Hubspot as our back end cms, Its how we get sales leads basically, someone comes to the website for information such as a PDF, video, or stuff (we are in the automation business) and that's what we use to get leads. Its kind of a pain in the rear end I agree, but that's really the only way to get leads off our website, hence the fill in your info, get some info sort of exchange. (My boss makes these decisions, not me

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Flaggy posted:

Well right now we use Hubspot as our back end cms, Its how we get sales leads basically, someone comes to the website for information such as a PDF, video, or stuff (we are in the automation business) and that's what we use to get leads. Its kind of a pain in the rear end I agree, but that's really the only way to get leads off our website, hence the fill in your info, get some info sort of exchange. (My boss makes these decisions, not me
I'll be honest, if your site is viewed by people like me, all your leads will be "BigSpunkyDick@FannySmasher.com" and the like.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Question Mark Mound posted:

I'll be honest, if your site is viewed by people like me, all your leads will be "BigSpunkyDick@FannySmasher.com" and the like.

Most of our site is viewed by others in the industry. Yeah we do get those and they are awesome, but we do get some people in who give us the real information which turns into sales, if there isn't a plugin or anything other than Contact Form 7 no biggie. We are just updating our old site.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm looking for a plugin that lets me host with Amazon S3. There are a bunch of them out there though, many that haven't been updated for a long time. Any recommendations?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
You probably want something like WPCDN.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

We use Gravity Forms for WP, and generally integrate with a CRM system to manage leads.

I think Gravity Forms has a license fee, but it's apparently worth it. Does anyone know of similar free forms solutions?

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

89 posted:

Ok, I'm sick of this all. I've spent almost an entire work week just troubleshooting my website and just problem after problem pops up.

- Permalinks only work using default. But, now after I've swapped them around so much trying to get them to work, the navigation menu doesn't have the correct links now. But, I'd rather have mysite.com/events rather than mysite.com/I'd=p118 whatever.
- Old Wordpress.com website still likes to load for users who have previously accessed the page before the move to bluehost and Wordpress.org
- The website is slow
- I can't get the header to rotate images, I'm stuck with a static header
- I don't understand SEO stuff
- The home page and other pages don't update with new posts now. Like, I added an event AND made a post about it. Home page doesn't show the new page and the Event page doesn't show the new event even though the event page and spot page work if you type in the URL.

Because of all of this, I've got peeved employees who haven't been able to access the schedule for the past two weeks, and I'm sending a bunch of important emails out to bands & agencies, only to have the website mess up on them.

Is there anybody I can trust to be able to clean my stuff up and just get it to a point that it WORKS?!

I am willing to pay money. But, I need some kind of track record so I know I'm not gonna be screwed cause this is an important website for a business that I've worked hard for.

https://www.bearsdenpizza.com

I'm not sure what your level of website development is, so please don't take anything personally if the questions are too specific or too dumbed down.

1) Permalinks - Are you struggling with the custom syntax or is there a server issue with rewrites (you'll need mod_rewrite or something more annoying if you are on an IIS server) Have you tried reading http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks ?

2) How long has it been since you migrated hosts? Are you sure all the nameservers are set up correctly?

3) Are you using a caching plugin? This could help with page speed and if improperly configured could cause your site not to display new posts.

4) What have you tried to use to cycle images? Or do you just not know how to do it?

5) There are many levels of depth for SEO readiness.

I'm a generally busy dude (I'm a professional web developer for a Wordpress powered site), so I can't volunteer much more time than answering smaller questions here when I can. But I think I can help you out a bunch if you're interested in hiring me to solve some of these problems and no one else can do it for free. If this is a serious option, send me a PM.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

This is probably going to be an extremely easy problem, so I apologise in advance!

I'm currently converting static HTML pages into a Wordpress theme and it's my first time using PHP, so I'm running into trouble because I'm not used to it. I would like my index.php page to be set up so as posts are separated into two sections. On the left I'd like news and on the right events. I know that this can be done by setting the categories, but I don't know how to code it in PHP. Currently the Wordpress loop is just putting posts in both sections without discrimination.

How do I set this up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
You want to look at multiple loops. However, I wouldn't gently caress with your index.php.

Instead, make a copy of page.php or an existing page template and name it page-home.php or something along those lines.

Find the default Wordpress Loop. On one of my client themes, it looks like this (found in page-full.php):

code:
<?php if (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>

<h2 id="h2-page" class="h2-section"><?php the_title(); ?></h2>

<div id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>" class="box">

<div class="content clearfix">

<?php the_content(); ?>

</div>

</div>

<?php endif; ?>
This might look different for you. You're looking for the if (have_posts) and the_content() statements.

Change the loop part (if have_posts) : the_post) to something like this:

code:
 <?php rewind_posts(); ?>

<?php while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>

<div class="post">    	    	
<?php the_content(); ?>
</div>
  <?php endwhile; ?>
Then at the end of the endwhile,

code:
  <?php query_posts('category_name=special_cat&posts_per_page=10'); ?>

<?php while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>
    <?php the_content(); ?>
  <?php endwhile;?>
This is from the Wordpress codex on multiple loops, I haven't tested it but that should be enough to get you going in the right direction.

If you need to display custom post types or content, then you'll have to alter your wp_query accordingly.

89 posted:

:argh:

Throwing my hat in there if you need help with this. Shoot me a PM. I am also a full time Web Designer so I don't have a ton of time to do everything for free.