Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

dutch wife abc posted:

How much did you spend on Filth? That's sick.

32 bux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

quote:

We are very proud to announce that we will be releasing the Dream Theater album “Images & Words” on vinyl for the first time in the USA! We could not be happier with the it came out. The release is 2 LP Set on 180gram vinyl for the highest fidelity. We only made 2000 units. Each LP is hand numbered from 1 – 2000! This release is a joint venture with our friends at ENJOY THE RIDE RECORDS.

We are making 2000 pieces of this record. 1500 of them will be on BLACK VINYL. Those 1500 will be going out to stores across the world. 500 of them will be make special on a RED/GOLD SWIRL vinyl. This pre order is for one of the very limited RED/GOLD Swirl vinyl. This color will be exclusive to only this website!!

PRE ORDER NOW!!

St Date - February 19th, 2013
:aaa:
Glad to be getting this, the original pressings sell for over $150 and that red/gold is pretty as heck :allears: Also seems to be up for pre-order on Amazon, assuming that's the black release.

Also they are charging $75 for international postage so if you are outside the US use a friend as an escrow or something, it's what I'm doing :wtc:

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

david puddy posted:

Also they are charging $75 for international postage so if you are outside the US use a friend as an escrow or something, it's what I'm doing :wtc:

Forget about the terrifying animals and bugs and poo poo, the scariest thing I've heard about Australia is how much it costs to get vinyl shipped there. God drat.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Kevar posted:

Forget about the terrifying animals and bugs and poo poo, the scariest thing I've heard about Australia is how much it costs to get vinyl shipped there. God drat.

They are quoting $75 for the UK and stuff too. And yeah, for every two records I buy online, the postage money equates to the price of 1-2 locally sourced new records :(

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 8, 2013

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Yeah, postage to Australia sucks, but a typical price is around $15. $75 is a total :whoptc:

Amazon can be good to order from, as postage is quite cheap, regardless of weight. I had the Blur vinyl box (which weighs a tonne) shipped to me from Amazon.ca for like $6 or something ridiculous.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

dflanny posted:

Yeah, postage to Australia sucks, but a typical price is around $15. $75 is a total :whoptc:

Amazon can be good to order from, as postage is quite cheap, regardless of weight. I had the Blur vinyl box (which weighs a tonne) shipped to me from Amazon.ca for like $6 or something ridiculous.

Yeah, I always check amazon for the bigger sets, but given that the colour version of Images & Words is exclusive to that site I didn't really have much choice. I still haven't pulled the trigger on The Disintegration Loops because $75 shipping on that too... Hopefully I get plenty of work when I get home from this holiday there are so many things I want to buy.

edit: ugggghhhh The Disintegration Loops is only $5.92 shipped through amazon to here but they charge a $70 premium over Temporary Residence :negative:

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jan 8, 2013

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

I had a nice haul of 7" records today.

Elton John's "Your Song" b/w "Take Me to the Pilot." Both in a mono mix.

Nice. I've been eyeing a copy of that on Musicstack for a little while. I also picked up Peter Gabriel's 25th Anniversary Immersion box set of So recently, which has a remastered 2LP set with the original album and unreleased tracks on 180g. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. Other than that I've recently picked up

The Who's Eminence Front/One at a Time on 7"
Coldplay's Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head
Peter Gabriel's Melt (or III if you want)

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo I was looking to see if this existed on vinyl a couple of weeks ago. I love and hate you at the same time because that $75 shipping fee is ridiculous.

edit: I mean it better arrive in Kevlar or something, god drat.

realbez fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 8, 2013

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

realbez posted:

Holy poo poo I was looking to see if this existed on vinyl a couple of weeks ago. I love and hate you at the same time because that $75 shipping fee is ridiculous.

edit: I mean it better arrive in Kevlar or something, god drat.

If you have any friends in America ship it to them. Hell, it's probably a lot cheaper to just use a proper forwarding service, shipping is only $8 to the US

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
For any of those hardcore fans out there Pianos Become the Teeth and Touche Amore's split can be pre-ordered now! Ships in like 2 weeks or something.
http://www.topshelfrecords.bigcartel.com/product/pianos-become-the-teeth-pianos-become-the-teeth-touche-amore-split-7-inch

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Sun Kil Moon's latest is up for pre-order finally after almost a year long wait.

I mean, the album is mediocre at best, and Kozelek has clearly become more bitter and dickish as time goes by but...

Well, it's up for pre-order.

No crazy limited versions for sale this time. But they're limited to 1 copy per person so expect to pay far out the rear end for it on eBay at a later date.

http://caldoverderecords.com/

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone know where I can get In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3 by Coheed and Cambria on vinyl for a decent price?

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

WASDF posted:

Got some jams over the holiday.

I spent maybe too much on that Ghost album.

What color did you get for the Ghost record?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Just black :/

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

WASDF posted:

Just black :/

Ugh, guess you'll just have to deal with superior sound quality.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Ugh, guess you'll just have to deal with superior sound quality.

I know it's been debated a lot (and discussed here a bunch), but is there any information out there that says whether or no colored vinyl sounds any different (and/or worse) than standard black? I'm not sure how it would effect the pressing, but I wouldn't find it hard to believe considering that 100% of bad pressings I've ever purchased were colored vinyl.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

I know it's been debated a lot (and discussed here a bunch), but is there any information out there that says whether or no colored vinyl sounds any different (and/or worse) than standard black? I'm not sure how it would effect the pressing, but I wouldn't find it hard to believe considering that 100% of bad pressings I've ever purchased were colored vinyl.

If I'm not mistaken, technically, black vinyl is colored vinyl. I believe the original color of vinyl is clear, and something is added in to make it black. I have a few color pressings that sound pretty good, like Bad Religion's "Stranger than Fiction," or what have you. Some of my early REMs are translucent brown. Seriously. Hold your old REM records up to a light and see through the sound! Anyway, I think nowadays, color vinyl tends to be done by less serious record companies, so there's already issues with the pressing that would be present even on black. Also, who knows what goes on in the pressing houses. It might be that since black is in higher demand, whatever they use to color the record tends to be treated a lot better.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Yeah, the issue is the record companies who put out 100 coloured gimmick represses in 5 years that sound awful (like Magic Bullet Records with This Will Destroy You, god those sound loving awful), or companies that just have no idea what they're doing I guess. Some of my best sounding records are on coloured vinyl (namely my Porcupine Tree ones pressed by Tonefloat).

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Yeah, I don't really know, but every time a record sounds like poo poo, it's some type of experimental coloring.

That said, I've heard some absolutely amazing colored vinyl records so who knows.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Not sure if anyone else ordered this, but the Dilla - Donuts box set of 45s got delayed til end of the month. Apparently due to competition w/Beatles re-issues at the same pressing plant.

Like they point out, Pitchfork has a really beautiful gallery of the box set up. If you're into flipping records ever 2-3 minutes, this is right up your alley.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

david puddy posted:

Yeah, the issue is the record companies who put out 100 coloured gimmick represses in 5 years that sound awful (like Magic Bullet Records with This Will Destroy You, god those sound loving awful), or companies that just have no idea what they're doing I guess. Some of my best sounding records are on coloured vinyl (namely my Porcupine Tree ones pressed by Tonefloat).

The guy who runs Magic Bullet puts out so many different colours of that album just to gently caress with variant collectors.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Cemetry Gator posted:

If I'm not mistaken, technically, black vinyl is colored vinyl. I believe the original color of vinyl is clear, and something is added in to make it black.

Yes carbon black is added. It is said to add strength, however my opinion is that it's effect may be negligible on a vinyl disc and was more to do with tradition and not alienating customers, since shellac records since the beginning of it all(experiments, brown wax and Amberols notwithstanding) actually were strengthened with carbon black.

Speaking of 78s. I just got a new 3 mil stylus, and it makes standard groove records sound amazing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiQaFpkAZNU

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 9, 2013

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

oh my god, now I want a player that can play 78s just to jam old tunes like that nonstop.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

david puddy posted:

If you have any friends in America ship it to them. Hell, it's probably a lot cheaper to just use a proper forwarding service, shipping is only $8 to the US

I don't know anyone in America, and it's already done. Doesn't matter, I really want it. Didn't know about forwarding services until now though. Thanks, I'll use one next time.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Ron Burgundy posted:

Yes carbon black is added. It is said to add strength, however my opinion is that it's effect may be negligible on a vinyl disc and was more to do with tradition and not alienating customers, since shellac records since the beginning of it all(experiments, brown wax and Amberols notwithstanding) actually were strengthened with carbon black.

Personally, it's easier for me to see the bands on a black record than it is on a colored record. I wonder if that might be part of it, especially since vinyl LPs would be the first thing to have a need for banding.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

realbez posted:

I don't know anyone in America, and it's already done. Doesn't matter, I really want it. Didn't know about forwarding services until now though. Thanks, I'll use one next time.

They brought the shipping costs down to a respectable...

Oh wait, it's 45$ now and still insanely expensive.

vedicardi
Oct 17, 2012
just delved into the japanese vinyl market. god help me.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Andrew WK - Close Calls with Brick Walls
Com Truise - Galactic Melt
Crocodiles - Neon Jesus 7"
Melvins - Prick

Prick is probably one of my least favorite Melvins albums, but since ALL of their stuff is so hard to find, I went ahead and grabbed it when I saw it at the store today.

Also got myself a new blue Debut Carbon. My old Debut III had a bunch of problems and I figured it would be cheaper/easier to just get a new one instead of fixing them all.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
How hard is it/how long does it take to perform the 'manual speed change' from 33 -> 45 or vice-versa on those Carbons?

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

thathonkey posted:

How hard is it/how long does it take to perform the 'manual speed change' from 33 -> 45 or vice-versa on those Carbons?

You just lift the platter off and move the belt from one rung to another. It takes five seconds.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Surfingelectrode posted:

Andrew WK - Close Calls with Brick Walls
Com Truise - Galactic Melt
Crocodiles - Neon Jesus 7"
Melvins - Prick

Prick is probably one of my least favorite Melvins albums, but since ALL of their stuff is so hard to find, I went ahead and grabbed it when I saw it at the store today.

Also got myself a new blue Debut Carbon. My old Debut III had a bunch of problems and I figured it would be cheaper/easier to just get a new one instead of fixing them all.
Out of curiosity, and hopefully not a threadshit, but interested in dumping that Debut III?

niff
Jul 4, 2010
Any of you guys have any experience with lathe-cut records? It's rather rare to see them now, but interested to see if you guys had any in a collection somewhere. I'm thinking of getting some cut for my stoner/doom band on the cheap. Sources say they have incredible low end but distort (in a charming way) on the high end.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

niff posted:

Any of you guys have any experience with lathe-cut records? It's rather rare to see them now, but interested to see if you guys had any in a collection somewhere. I'm thinking of getting some cut for my stoner/doom band on the cheap. Sources say they have incredible low end but distort (in a charming way) on the high end.

I got one recently from The World is a Beautiful Place and I am No Longer Afraid to Die, but need to widen the hole a little before I can play it.

If you're doing a small pressing it's going to be way more cost effective than regular vinyl.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
There's no issue with them really at all.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
I have been getting polarising opinions of them - one vinyl buff says they're poo poo, the other vinyl buff says the differences are barely noticeable. Considering there is a local guy who does them for $8NZD a pop, I think you're right about it being extremely cost-effective for small runs.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

thathonkey posted:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-Speed-Box-II

I bought one of these and never looked back. I listen to punk and hardcore almost exclusively which means I'm constantly changing speeds. It also will regulate it to 33/45 so no more "Hmm is this playing just slightly too fast?" kind of poo poo. I got really really loving tired of lifting the platter off and changing the belt.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Finished that Ferrero box from Christmas yet? Good. Because the holder things are the same size as most carts.

Wow, most of the styluses are broken. I should be more careful.

Nosferatu Man
Nov 10, 2008
Recently acquired

Burial - Truant/Rough Sleeper
Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972
Avey Tare and Kria Brekken - Pullhair Rubeye
El-P - Cancer4Cure
Tame Impala - Lonerism

Burial is my favorite artist right now. Just love everything he is doing

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Nosferatu Man posted:

Recently acquired

Tame Impala - Lonerism

Just ordered this myself - found it pretty cheap on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

niff posted:

The only lathe cut I have or have heard is the Monarque "Vigor Mortis" 8", which sounds fine to me. On the other hand, maybe it sounds fine because it's lo-fi Quebecois black metal anyway. The sound is a little thin which I always chalked up to it having the weight of a flexi. The real issue with lathe cuts as I understand it is that they only hold up for 50-100 plays before the grooves are worn out.