Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Darkrenown posted:

I dunno, why jump in to the conversation if you don't actually want to have it? If you don't like HoI3 I really don't care, but if you post blatantly false things about it I am going to dispute them.

Takes two to tango. You replied to me, after all.

Game sucks, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Gorgo Primus posted:

There is a link in the "Scrap Book of Fond Memories" for the Dev Diary for MM about it; it was creepy at the time and hilarious to us now.

I just reread it, and it's still too creepy to be funny.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I played the HoI3 demo way way back and managed to invade France & the Low Countries while most of my army was still in Poland. (as Germany.)

It was a long dumb slog for a while (the french actually pushed me back out of Belgium!), and then suddenly Italy made a breakthrough in the south and took 90% of France.

It was pretty funny.

That was my HoI3 story!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gorgo Primus posted:

There is a link in the "Scrap Book of Fond Memories" for the Dev Diary for MM about it; it was creepy at the time and hilarious to us now.

Uh, yeah, this is something that professional game developers should definitely produce and post for the promotion of their historical strategy game.

:stare:

telcontar
Dec 8, 2006
Is there any way to mod the "distant overseas" penalty in EU3? I'm playing a game as Granada and it's dumb as hell that most of my North African holdings get this penalty.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Kersch posted:

And to be honest, I haven't really thought of modding for a while. Any time I've spent with EU3 lately has been spent trying out the EU3Plus betas.

I want to take a moment and mention that your take on MiscMods is still my favorite way to play EU3. EU3+ is fantastic, but I like a more laid-back game that's still got lots of neat features. It's too bad you haven't given thought to updating it but I doubt the final EU3 patch will break it or anything.

AnoMouse
Feb 13, 2012

telcontar posted:

Is there any way to mod the "distant overseas" penalty in EU3? I'm playing a game as Granada and it's dumb as hell that most of my North African holdings get this penalty.

If the provinces are connected by land then the penalty goes away, though it comes back if the pathway is blocked by a siege/controlled by someone else. So you all need to do is carve a path through Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa :black101:! Note that straits don't count, i.e. Thrace-Bithynia.

Or you can just mod it, I think it's in static modifiers. Changing it here will effect the actual colonizers of course.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gorgo Primus posted:

I still think it's amazing that Steppe Wolf of all things got released, gets regular updates and is actually improving, while Magna Mundi is the one that never saw the light of day.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I still think it's amazing that Steppe Wolf of all things got released, gets regular updates and is actually improving, while Magna Mundi is the one that never saw the light of day.

To be fair, Steppe Wolfe was a fan-made mod, whereas Magna Mundi was a project costing Paradox money to maintain.

telcontar
Dec 8, 2006

AnoMouse posted:

If the provinces are connected by land then the penalty goes away, though it comes back if the pathway is blocked by a siege/controlled by someone else. So you all need to do is carve a path through Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa :black101:! Note that straits don't count, i.e. Thrace-Bithynia.

Or you can just mod it, I think it's in static modifiers. Changing it here will effect the actual colonizers of course.
I had a look in static modifiers and it seems like you can only change the penalties. I was specifically looking to mod the distance, since I don't want the penalties to go away for actual distant overseas stuff. Oh well, thanks anyway.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Rogue0071 posted:

To be fair, Steppe Wolfe was a fan-made mod, whereas Magna Mundi was a project costing Paradox money to maintain.

But even the free MM mod stopped getting developed a while ago and it's still not DW compatible. For all we laugh at SW, it did take a lot of effort to make. It's just that it was mostly misplaced because EUIII just can't do thinks like have migrating nomad populations or model Stalinism.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DrProsek posted:

But even the free MM mod stopped getting developed a while ago and it's still not DW compatible. For all we laugh at SW, it did take a lot of effort to make. It's just that it was mostly misplaced because EUIII just can't do thinks like have migrating nomad populations or model Stalinism.

So you're saying Victoria Wolfe would be the most perfect mod ever :allears:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

So you're saying Victoria Wolfe would be the most perfect mod ever :allears:

... yes :colbert:. I will die happy the day I can get the Christian Democratic Union elected in the Gothic Republic.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I had a completely :catstare: moment this afternoon, playing as the Ming Empire. I had absorbed Dai Viet several decades ago in a peaceful annexation. Periodically, the provinces would be afflicted by some minor rebellions, but this time something like 25 regiments rose up eventually while my armies were occupied in dealing with Manchu rebels in the far northeast.

So I march an army down and it gets defeated. No problem I'll just raise a bunch of longspear infantry and cavalry archers to crush these rebels, an army so large that they'll surely be crushed.

Imagine my surprise when a stack of 92 regiments is defeated by a plucky band of mere 17,000 Vietnamese patriots.

I was frustrated by this constant persistence but, as a Vietnamese person, I couldn't help but feel a bit of pride. :unsmith:

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Gort posted:

Game sucks, sorry.

Why is the number of provinces a bad thing? How else would you model rapid blitzkrieg envelopments in the eastern front? I mean the classic answer is 'use a hex map'. I guess I just equate the individual provinces more as hexes and less as little unique diamonds to worry over.

I find HOI3 fun but I also don't use theater level AI for anything. To each their own I guess :v:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

I was frustrated by this constant persistence but, as a Vietnamese person, I couldn't help but feel a bit of pride. :unsmith:

I've always been amazed at how Vietnamese people really can hit way above their weight in terms of taking on empires that want to own them and their land. Not many countries can claim to have defeated occupations by china, america(+south korea, australia, and others), france and japan all within about 30 years (1945 - 1975).

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Baloogan posted:

I've always been amazed at how Vietnamese people really can hit way above their weight in terms of taking on empires that want to own them and their land. Not many countries can claim to have defeated occupations by china, america(+south korea, australia, and others), france and japan all within about 30 years (1945 - 1975).

Don't forget how they kicked the Mongols out on three separate occasions.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Jabarto posted:

Don't forget how they kicked the Mongols out on three separate occasions.

Being one of the few countries that actually managed to resist the Mongols, apparently! But then again, I suppose that jungle fighting is hell no matter what century you're in. And plus we're just incredibly stubborn and independent. I wonder if Paradox programmed in different values for rebelliousness for different cultures?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

telcontar posted:

Put a strait in between Gibraltar and Ceuta/Tangier.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Gorgo Primus posted:

Was gonna say... with all the mechanics you'd need to cover all that, you'd almost certainly end up with a slightly more polished Steppe Wolfe. There is just no way to code for the Roman Empire, and 1400s France, and 19th century Prussian, and the USSR, and the modern US without having tons of abstraction (and we already have Civilization) and/or being utterly unplayable horrible.

I honestly don't know why anyone would want something like that.

I think he meant the UI/Gameplay would change seamlessly (You have entered the era of individualization!)

DrSunshine posted:

That reminds me of one of my first Ricky games, playing as Brazil. I controlled Colombia as a satellite, and had pretty much conquered the rest of South America. So I tell Colombia to take down the last independent country: Ecuador. I was more than a bit surprised to see them still resisting 3 or 4 years, but it made me feel so :unsmith: I decided to leave them alone.

Wiz posted:

Out of curiousity, why have you left the central/south american natives alone? You're missing out on a lot of gold.

Maybe he just wants to be nice, you ever think about that? Life isn't only about gold and trade goods, you soulless monster :qq:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Farecoal posted:

I think he meant the UI/Gameplay would change seamlessly (You have entered the era of individualization!)

Then you may as well just have separate games with separate budgets, development cycles, etc, with far better save conversions than currently available. Trying to cram everything into one product is a recipe for disaster.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

orphean posted:

Why is the number of provinces a bad thing? How else would you model rapid blitzkrieg envelopments in the eastern front? I mean the classic answer is 'use a hex map'. I guess I just equate the individual provinces more as hexes and less as little unique diamonds to worry over.

I find HOI3 fun but I also don't use theater level AI for anything. To each their own I guess :v:

Same with me. I'll assign theater AI to man the Atlantic Wall and Norway, but I actually really like micromanaging Barbarossa-style operations. When part of the front is stabilized I can then assign a simple goal (take Leningrad) at army group level and concentrate on more critical areas. HOI3 gives you a lot more freedom on the strategic/tactical levels, and that's exactly where I think the focus needs to be on a WWII simulation. There are still a lot of AI quirks and stuff that need to be ironed out, but the game has improved by leaps and bounds with each expansion and I think it's just a matter of adding polish at this point.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
I really want to play HoI3 and I don't mind dealing with a million provinces etc but its the only game I've ever had that genuinely takes 20 minutes to load the main menu. Every other paradox game, hell everything else ever, is fine but I've launched HoI3 twice and I just can't deal with that.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Gort posted:

Game sucks, sorry.

Yes, I have no problem talking about how you're wrong when you post lies: You're the one who hopped in with some snark and wants to back out when I reply to your terrible posts.

Tell me more about how everyone who likes the game is wrong and you're the one true font of correct video game opinions though :allears:

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 10, 2013

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
Does anyone else have a Japan that just ruins everyone's poo poo in HoI3?

Japan typically defeats nationalist China before WW2 even starts, and when it does start, will quickly set about conquering southeast Asia and Australia. In my current game Japan has conquered the entire Pacific and India with the exception of the Philippines before 1942. They recently brought the United States into the war and are now conquering the Philippines and minor US islands with no signs of slowing down.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Shanakin posted:

I really want to play HoI3 and I don't mind dealing with a million provinces etc but its the only game I've ever had that genuinely takes 20 minutes to load the main menu. Every other paradox game, hell everything else ever, is fine but I've launched HoI3 twice and I just can't deal with that.

What version are you using? And did you let it load up fully before trying again? The only reason it should take extra long to load up is if it has to generate the map cache (you'll see lots of messages about quads) which should only happen the first time you load it, and even then it should be like 5 mins max on a PC that can run the game.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Yeah, I've tried it a few times. I've even timed it all the way to the main menu (it was about 19 minutes). I well and truly surpass the minimum requirements. Semper Fi seems to be the only expansion I have and a couple of sprite packs. I think I bought them on a steam sale a couple of years ago.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DrProsek posted:

Is it that weird that the free mod stops getting developed while they (prepare to) make a game? Besides, MM does exist for DW now, it's just a different team making it. (Thank god)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Darkrenown posted:

Yes, I have no problem talking about how you're wrong when you post lies: You're the one who hopped in with some snark and wants to back out when I reply to your terrible posts.

Tell me more about how everyone who likes the game is wrong and you're the one true font of correct video game opinions though :allears:

Please show me some "lies" I told about a game I don't like.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DrSunshine posted:

I wonder if Paradox programmed in different values for rebelliousness for different cultures?

Not in EU3, but it is in Victoria 2.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Is it that weird that the free mod stops getting developed while they (prepare to) make a game?
As I recall they stopped development long before the MM game was announced but I may be totally wrong on that. If the two coincided then never-mind that would make sense.

quote:

Besides, MM does exist for DW now, it's just a different team making it. (Thank god)

Huh, really? I may have to look at that, MM had some good ideas that I actually wonder if a good team could do more with, at the very least it'd be amusing to relive the glory of Framed! again.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Gort posted:

Please show me some "lies" I told about a game I don't like.

"Game sucks, sorry."
Can you prove the game objectively sucks? Are you actually honestly sorry?

"rally points/auto armies etc are an example of good automation that Hearts of Iron 3 doesn't have"

The claim that HoI3 doesn't have automated armies is false, as is the claim that GC2 has better automated fleets than HoI3 has automated units, and condemning the lack of rally points without acknowledging the different production models is at least dishonest.

"lie" was the wrong word though, I posted in a rush, I meant to say "post dishonestly". When you post or agree with posts saying that it's impossible to play the game without automating everything, it's dishonest. When I say HoI3 is not the only game with automation options and you bring up Moo3 it's a dishonest attempt to imply that only bad games have such options when it is in fact a fairly common thing in strategy games. When you present your opinion as fact that is dishonest.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Shanakin posted:

Yeah, I've tried it a few times. I've even timed it all the way to the main menu (it was about 19 minutes). I well and truly surpass the minimum requirements. Semper Fi seems to be the only expansion I have and a couple of sprite packs. I think I bought them on a steam sale a couple of years ago.

Do you get the message about "creating quads" etc? Or if not, what's it saying at the bottom of the screen for most of the time? Are you running it as an Admin? Have you tried just reinstalling it?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DrProsek posted:

As I recall they stopped development long before the MM game was announced but I may be totally wrong on that. If the two coincided then never-mind that would make sense.
Well, I don't know when exactly they got signed up to make the game, but I'm pretty sure Ubik had already begun gearing up for it a long time before. Because he is Ubik. And Ubik pretty much was the MM team.

DrProsek posted:

Huh, really? I may have to look at that, MM had some good ideas that I actually wonder if a good team could do more with, at the very least it'd be amusing to relive the glory of Framed! again.
Well, it's still in beta, but it seems to work alright. Not a pure port either, the team seems to have their own ideas. (Such as putting Hindus and Muslims in the same group, to overcome the religious restrictions on marriage.)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Darkrenown posted:

"Game sucks, sorry."
Can you prove the game objectively sucks? Are you actually honestly sorry?

OK, expressing my opinion that a game sucks is lying. Got it.

I am a bit sorry actually, yeah, because it can't be easy to hear that people don't like your work. That's part of the reason I didn't really want to turn this into a big argument - people have expressed fears that devs might get butthurt and flee the thread if people are too negative.

quote:

"rally points/auto armies etc are an example of good automation that Hearts of Iron 3 doesn't have"

The claim that HoI3 doesn't have automated armies is false, as is the claim that GC2 has better automated fleets than HoI3 has automated units, and condemning the lack of rally points without acknowledging the different production models is at least dishonest.

Eh? The game doesn't have rally points. It would be nice if I could set a rule where every time I had, say, six divisions of infantry built I could have them automatically. I have no experience with GalCiv, so I think saying that's a lie is either bad writing on my part or bad reading on yours.

quote:

"lie" was the wrong word though, I posted in a rush, I meant to say "post dishonestly". When you post or agree with posts saying that it's impossible to play the game without automating everything, it's dishonest. When I say HoI3 is not the only game with automation options and you bring up Moo3 it's a dishonest attempt to imply that only bad games have such options when it is in fact a fairly common thing in strategy games. When you present your opinion as fact that is dishonest.

It honestly annoys me that I own both games as a result of loving their prequels and yet get no play out of either. A widely broadcast design decision in MOO3 was to give the player too much to do and then give them automation options to let them control it, which lead to the (probably somewhat hyperbolic) objections that people couldn't stop the game building invasion transports and that if you hit "end turn" enough you could win with no other input.

In short, the failure was in including too much stuff that needed to be done, and including rather shoddy AI automation tools to do it for you.

Likewise, HoI3. There comes a point when the inflated province counts make conducting a war an unfun slog. You then fall back on the AI generals, who do dumb stuff like getting your units cut off and destroyed, but will generally win since you gave them a good start. You then feel kinda hollow about the whole thing since the game played itself for you.

Hope you didn't find these lies too dishonest.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
Oh Gort and Darkrenown, never stop. :allears:

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Gort posted:

I am a bit sorry actually, yeah, because it can't be easy to hear that people don't like your work. That's part of the reason I didn't really want to turn this into a big argument - people have expressed fears that devs might get butthurt and flee the thread if people are too negative.

Meh, if we would flee because people are negative in this thread, we'd all be gone years ago. Part of the reason why I enjoy reading the SA thread for Paradox games is that this thread quite often has a different opinion of things compared to our own forums.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Gort posted:

Eh? The game doesn't have rally points. It would be nice if I could set a rule where every time I had, say, six divisions of infantry built I could have them automatically. I have no experience with GalCiv, so I think saying that's a lie is either bad writing on my part or bad reading on yours.

The example of rally points and auto fleets I gave was from GC2, I said "Galciv2 has rally points/auto fleets/and neat automated constructor ships" to which you replied "rally points/auto armies etc are an example of good automation that Hearts of Iron 3 doesn't have", so I explained that GC2 style rally points make no sense in HoI3 and that it does have "auto armies".

The rest of it is you presenting your opinion as fact, saying you don't like the game or that you think it sucks is one thing, that is your opinion. Saying flat out that it sucks or that you can't play without automating everything is false though, plenty of other people, some posting in this very thread in the last few pages, play it differently and enjoy it. That there's a difference between saying "I think something is X" and "Something is X" should not be news to you.

Rudi Starnberg posted:

Oh Gort and Darkrenown, never stop. :allears:

We're the gift that keeps on giving. Still, in other news, did you see the CK2 1.09 patch notes yet?

quote:

MAJOR:
- Merchant Republic gameplay (Duke or higher tier Republics with a coastal capital)
- Added a 'Grant Independence' diplomatic interaction
- Titles can now automatically change name depending on the culture of their top liege
- The Reign length opinion modifiers are now dependent on how long a character has been the liege of someone, not how long the primary title has been held
- Added 1241 Bookmark - "The Mongols"
- Save file transfer now works on Mac
- Reduced max demesne size from ruler tier, especially for Dukes
- Reduced the effect of Stewardship on max demesne size (now 15%, down from 25%.)
- Added a max demesne size bonus (+1) for dukes with more than one duchy
- Increased the Prestige effects of a rank difference in marriages by a factor of 5
- All merc regiments now grow in max size over time
- Added more mercenary bands: Finns, Lapps, Abyssinians, Nubians, Lithuanians, Scots, Irish and Alans
- Added Ultimogeniture succession law
- Added Tanistry succession law

MINOR:
- Fixed a bug with religions that have become or stopped being heresies not being correctly reset on reload
- Sunset Invasion: Slightly increased the arrival strength of the Aztecs
- Increased the strength of the Timurids
- Added a hidden event that clears diplomatic immunity from faction members if the faction leader dies while waiting for the liege response to an ultimatum
- When forming the Roman Empire, de jure assimilation into the Byzantine Empire is now carried over
- Fixed a bug allowing you to declare excommunication wars on lieges above your immediate liege (the war would then invalidate)
- AI: Will not attach units to allied units unless they are in the war target area
- Fixed a bug where a king who was also emperor lost the empire title in a civil war, but retained all dukes as vassals under the kingdom
- Fixed a crash in the province view
- Retinues no longer cost maintenance when you are out of money ( since they do not reinforce when you are out of money )
- Fixed a rare crash that could occur when a character was exiled from the last existing republic
- Fixed a bug with de jure withdrawal out of empires where the counter would reset and nothing would happen
- AI: Infinitesimal chance that the AI will fold to faction demands from tiny factions
- Fixed some bugs with the outcomes of the Imperial Reconquest CB
- Fixed a bug with characters not always returning correctly from foreign courts
- Fixed a CTD with the GamersGate in-game store API if there was a network error
- Forbidding councillors from leading armies is now saved
- Forbidding councillors from leading armies will no longer lead to an out of sync in multiplayer
- Fixed issue where a settlement could be awarded to an enemy after a siege was won
- Character screen no longer moves to front when it updates its data
- When creating a new unit one subunit will automatically transfer over if the selected unit has at least two
- Added a message for when someone takes over as a faction leader
- Prerequisite building missing text in building tooltip is now localized
- Fixed issue where character browser was showing some rulers when set to "all characters" and "no rulers"
- AI: Fixed a somewhat borked odds calculation vs attached units
- Army AI: Fixed an indecision issue - will be more determined to hunt down certain armies
- Army AI: Fixed a bug with splinter armies putting the whole agent into retreat mode
- Army AI: Fixed a rare collection livelock issue if a splinter army was besieging a holding
- Army AI: Fixed a glitch with the potential target province calculation due to moving enemy units
- Claimant Factions are no longer valid for non-elective titles if the claimant has no claim
- Fixed a confusing "any demesne title" trigger tooltip
- Removed the kingdom of Pommerania from the de jure HRE
- Liege levy maintenance cost is now shared with sub vassals
- The old liege now only gets weak claims on members of successful independence factions
- Fixed a rare crash in AI flank leader unit assignment
- Fixed an issue that could allow vassals of vassals to launch independence faction wars
- Independence faction wars are now invalidated if the pre-war liege becomes vassalized himself
- Fixed a bug where the successor of an Ecumenical Patriarch (or a vassal Pope) could change religion to the liege's.
- Vassals of vassals can no longer start claimant factions for claimants in another realm
- You now correctly gain Piety for granting bishoprics to courtiers
- Muslim rulers no longer get Piety for creating a random mosque holder
- Hamburg and Celle now have ports
- Province of Alexandria adjusted to include the site of the actual city
- Gender corrections to certain characters
- Added missing parents for Roupen I of Armenia Minor
- Fixed broken House Oitir dynasty
- Fixed several Mongol characters having the wrong religion
- Constantine de Hauteville is no longer female
- Gytha Thorkelsdottir now has the correct deathdate
- Louis d'Evreux now has the correct mother
- Fixes to Václav II and descendants
- William 'Adelin' now has the correct deathdate
- Miscellaneous database corrections to the de Luxembourg dynasty
- Miscellaneous database corrections for the Normans and the 1st Earl of Chester
- Fixed the birthdate of Saint Louis IX of France and his brother Robert of Artois
- Switched culture for two characters from Irish to Scottish
- Fixes to Danish and Norwegian bastards
- Added the Hvide Bishops of Roskilde
- The culture of Khwarizm now changes to Turkish at the correct date
- Updated the Jarls of Västergötland
- Fixed various issues with wrong or missing mothers for Frankish characters
- Fixed the lineage of Erik III of Denmark
- Added new Maghreb Wikipedia links
- Tweaked deathdate of Mubashir, Duke of Mallorca, and made him eunuch
- Fixed the spelling of the de Cuiseaux dynasty
- Corrections to the Af Sverker family
- Fixes to the ruler history of the Perigord and La Marche counties
- The Pirate King Kyrillos is now correctly imprisoned when captured through event
- Added dynasty and descendants to Umar ibn Khattab
- Fleshed out the the Rassid dynasty of Yemen
- Additions to the Banu 'Amir dynasty and its descendants
- Various changes and additions to the Hammudid dynasty
- Added the Mayzadids of Hillah
- Updated the Scottish name list
- Minor changes and additions to the Italian name list
- The Umayyad and Hashimid now have Muslim-style Coats of Arms
- Added some missing Dukes of Brittany
- Namechanges for several Scottish characters
- Constantinople is now protected by the Theodosian Walls
- Some corrections to Swedish kings and their families
- Links for Hungarian names added
- Changes to the Baltic pagan setup
- Corrections to Birger Jarl's family line
- All Armenian characters are now Miaphysite
- Added descriptive texts of all buildings
- Fixed issue with certain buildings referring to an obsolete Seljuk title
- Updated the credits
- Basra and Tigris now have the correct ruler in 1152
- Blocked claimant factions for vassals of vassals under Medium or higher crown authority
- Blocked most factions for vassals of vassals under Medium crown authority in addition to High and Absolute
- Fixed a problem with the limit of children for heirs
- AI: Fixed a bug with it not dismissing liege levies when done with them
- The pre-spawned 1066 conquest armies in England now suffer normal attrition
- Event spawned civil war armies now suffer normal attrition
- Made the bastard birth event (450) more common
- If married, women now fool their husbands about the parentage of children born from the bastard birth event (450)
- Fixed a bug with kingdom adjudication and barony tier titles under lieges with split allegiances
- Lowered the inheritance chance a bit for most congenital traits
- Fixed some glitches with the Mongol conversion events
- There is now a chance that the Ilkhanate will convert to Nestorianism
- There is now a small chance that the Golden Horde will convert to Nestorianism
- AI: Tweaked the effect of the Content trait on the creation and joining of Claimant factions
- AI: A bit smarter about launching claimant ultimatums
- Diplomacy View: Fixed a minor prestige tooltip issue when marrying lowborn characters
- AI: Vassals of a conqueror's title should not support claimants of another culture
- DoW AI: Now more aware of the possibility of mercs and the military value of Gold
- AI: More keen on using mercs if even slightly outnumbered
- AI: Very rich states are now more likely to use multiple merc regiments if needed
- Renamed the merc fleets after sea zones
- Added a hidden event to disband William's special invasion fleet
- AI: Lords and their heirs always answer each other's call to wars
- AI: Fixed a bug that could prevent the passing of laws
- AI: Smarter about trying to institute Agnatic-Cognatic law
- Retinues are now correctly passed on to the _player_ successor, not the primary title successor
- Fixed a crash bug in the Diplo and Province views with character with a null list of enemies
- Fixed a bug where characters inherited debts
- Fixed a minor bug in the effect 'vassalize_or_take_under_title' that would allow vassalization of unvassalizable titles like the Hashashin
- The religious CB now vassalizes lords of your own religion in the target Duchy
- AI: Fixed an issue where lords would marry off their councillors matrilineally to lowborn courtiers
- Fixed a bug with succession law opinions of children not of their parent's dynasty
- Optimized the line of succession calculation code
- AI: Fixed some bugs with elective successor choices
- Fixed (hopefully) a gross bankruptcy bug with the 'transfer_scaled_wealth' effect
- AI: External powers now more aggressive against civil war revolters
- Various code speed optimizations
- Fixed another bug with dead character in the Allies list
- AI: Husband and Wife always answer each other's calls to war
- Reversed the order of rulers in the Title History View (latest now on top)
- Invasion AI: Fixed a bug where fleets were afraid of loaded armies on enemy fleets
- Army AI: Fixed a brain death issue when under invasion by a Mercenary company whose unit was destroyed
- Army AI: Fixed an issue where it would not raise its own demesne ships
- AI: Will tend to hand out the latest acquired baronies rather than the oldest
- The Traitor opinion is now inherited by ruler successors
- Calling someone to war now makes them dislike you by the same amount you will like them for answering
- Conquerors (rulers of conquered titles) can now call on rulers from back home (Cultural Bonds) while defending against other cultures
- Fixed a rare crash in the Diplomacy View
- The 'vassalize_or_take_under_title' effect now correctly restores the taker liege afterward
- Fixed a bug where certain event effects in CBs could take Patrician titles
- Fixed a bug with the backend poster not having a HTTP POST timeout
- Fixed a bug with the random seed in event effect descriptions not matching the actual effect
- Fixed a bug where rampaging mercs would make an invalid DoW
- Fixed a bug preventing you from nominating bishop successors
- Muslim pulse events are now triggered correctly
- Fixed misplaced IF in decadence_invasion
- Added additional rulers to Chalkidike in the history database
- Chancellor event while improving relations is now properly triggered
- Fixed error in polygamy event
- Fixed issue with event where a character tries to free his/her spouse
- Added missing parents to several Arabic characters
- Added additional Alan dynasties
- Fixes to several Welsh dynasty names
- Some Armenian dynasty names are now Greek as intended
- Fixed the dynasty of Udalard de Besalu
- Characters older than 50 will no longer fight in tournaments
- Fixed pronoun error in Guardian event
- Removed superfluous church opinion effect from several Muslim-only event modifiers
- Fixed issue where the wife of a courtier could suggest a new Lord Spiritual
- Fixed option effect in event 1009
- Added additional Irish and Welsh dynasties and characters

FOR MODDERS:
- The event trigger and effect 'any_faction_backer' without a 'faction' field now work for the backers of all factions
- The 'copy_title_history' effect now also copies de jure assimilation
- Fixed some bugs with the 'de_jure_liege_or_above' and 'de_jure_vassal_or_below' triggers
- Character event flags are now shown in the portrait debug tooltip
- The modifier 'assassinate_chance_modifier' on the acting ruler now has an effect
- Added trigger 'is_at_sea'
- Added trigger 'is_patrician'
- Added trigger 'is_merchant_republic'
- Removed unused on actions 'on_siege_won' and 'on_siege_list'.
- Added on action 'on_siege_over' which triggers for all characters in the province
- Exported PATRICIAN_CAMPAIGN_FUND_FACTOR to defines
- Exported DOGE_SUCC_RANDOM_FACTOR to defines
- Added effects 'embargo' and 'lift_embargo'
- Added trigger 'has_trade_post'
- Added event target 'trade_post_owner'
- Added event effect 'seize_trade_post'
- Added 'attrition' field to the 'spawn_unit' effect. This is an attrition multiplier.
- Added 'cuckoo' (impregnation) console command
- Added 'culture = random' to 'create_character' and related event effects
- Added 'rep_trade_posts' Plot type
- Added define 'ENFORCE_ONE_OF_EACH_HOLDING' (Require players to build at least one City, Temple and Castle in each province)
- Added event target 'plot_target_province'
- Added a 'capital_holding' event target
- Added trigger 'num_of_trade_posts'
- Added trigger 'num_of_trade_post_diff'
- Added event trigger 'any_trade_post'
- Added event effect 'any_trade_post'
- Added event effect 'random_trade_post'
- Added 'same_religion = yes' field to the effect 'vassalize_or_take_under_title'. It will only vassalize rulers of the taker's religion
- Added 'is_patrician' filter to events
- Increased max demesne size limit for Patricians by 1 (define DEMESNE_MAX_SIZE_PATRICIAN)
- Added trigger 'any_attacker' (war scope)
- Added trigger 'any_defender' (war scope)
- Added 'inherit' field to opinion modifiers

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I've actually had long conversations with Darkrenown on HOI3 where he managed to change my mind from 'HOI3 is terrible' to 'HOI3 suffers from a number of design decisions which I would not have made and which negatively impact the experience, but is overall a somewhat interesting game right up until you try to launch Barbarossa, at which point all fun suffers from death by micromanagment'.

Key problems with that are:

1) The game should sell itself, it shouldn't need a Dev to sell it.

2) For a WW2 game the signature land campaign shouldn't be the lowest point of the user experience.

3) Automation is supposed to be a tool to allow the player to focus on the fun bits of the game, not replace the fun bits of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Tanist succession! loving yes.

• Locked thread