Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

zenintrude posted:

And these are not yet (possibly not ever) supported by the SD2SNES... why did I order one of these things again?! I could have just got an Everdrive I suppose.

The Everdrive and SD2SNES are both done by Krikzz. There is literally no way those games (like StarFox etc) will ever work in an Everdrive, but they are actively working on updates (mere files you throw on your SD card) that will allow you to play games with special chips. I am pretty positive they will get SuperFX games working. Even if they don't, there's not really any games (other than Starfox 2) that are expensive or something that use a SuperFX chip.

Pablo Gigante posted:

PSIV was 24 MegaBITS, not MegaBYTES. A Megabit is about 125 Kilobytes. They loved using Megabits to measure storage capacity on SNES/Genesis games for some reason.

It's amazing that no matter how much of a computer and video game nerd I am, I will never, ever get this correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

It's amazing that no matter how much of a computer and video game nerd I am, I will never, ever get this correct.

It took me a long time to figure this out. I remember when they were advertising Super Metroid as being the first 24 megabit game (incidentally I think the sheer cost of producing these is why the ROM contents are identical for US and Japanese copies of the game, cheaper to just do one giant production run), and scratching my head as to why it didn't have quite the degree of crazy visuals I was expecting for that filesize, compared to the PC games at the time which were in the 16-megabyte range (disk versions of Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max, King's Quest VI).

Having said that, I still don't have the slightest idea how the entirety of Super Mario World is only 512 kilobytes, considering most GIFs are bigger than that now.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Random question time. Does anyone know what the best USB controllers made with the SNES controller in mind are? The ones I see on Amazon have customer reviews mentioning lousy buttons or stiff D-pads, but I'm on the fence about this ThinkGeek one: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f08d/?rkgid=275668648&cpg=ogpla&source=google_pla&gclid=CPGHqa6S3rQCFU-d4Aodj0UAhQ

Looks good, but there's no review section. Does anyone recommend this, or have any other suggested alternatives?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

The Everdrive and SD2SNES are both done by Krikzz. There is literally no way those games (like StarFox etc) will ever work in an Everdrive, but they are actively working on updates (mere files you throw on your SD card) that will allow you to play games with special chips. I am pretty positive they will get SuperFX games working. Even if they don't, there's not really any games (other than Starfox 2) that are expensive or something that use a SuperFX chip.

Well, the SD2SNES carts that are at most of the vendors were assembled by KRIKzz, but they were actually designed by ikari_01, who also writes the firmware. Personally, though, I'm not as excited about the prospect of the SuperFX as I am about maybe getting the SA-1 implemented. I love Super Mario RPG.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

HKR posted:

Do what I did with my ps2 having lid problems and just solder the leads together so the board thinks it's pressed down all the time.

You won't be able to swap discs while the system is on but I can't think of any usage scenario where you'd be hosed if you couldn't do that.

You won't be able to do disc swaps, I assume. Most games let you save for this, but I know Metal Gear Solid (1) will not. If you don't use the original discs, you can't even swap on a modchipped PS2. Only real way around this is to dump your save to USB, use an emulator through the disc swap, save, and put it back on the PS1 card.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Kreeblah posted:

Personally, though, I'm not as excited about the prospect of the SuperFX as I am about maybe getting the SA-1 implemented. I love Super Mario RPG.

What's the chances of this happening on the SD2SNES? I'm taking stock of my SNES collection right now and wondering if I'll be able to sell SMRPG down the line to recoup some of the cost.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

zenintrude posted:

What's the chances of this happening on the SD2SNES? I'm taking stock of my SNES collection right now and wondering if I'll be able to sell SMRPG down the line to recoup some of the cost.

Dunno yet. ikari_01's been too busy working on the SuperFX to determine whether the SA-1 might be doable. If it does happen, it'll be a ways off. I think he plans on doing some other stuff before then (Game Genie support, if I remember right).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Behonkiss posted:

Random question time. Does anyone know what the best USB controllers made with the SNES controller in mind are? The ones I see on Amazon have customer reviews mentioning lousy buttons or stiff D-pads, but I'm on the fence about this ThinkGeek one: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f08d/?rkgid=275668648&cpg=ogpla&source=google_pla&gclid=CPGHqa6S3rQCFU-d4Aodj0UAhQ

Looks good, but there's no review section. Does anyone recommend this, or have any other suggested alternatives?

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=29

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Behonkiss posted:

Why not just use the SNES pads you already own?

http://www.amazon.com/SNES-Controller-Adapter-USB-Super-NES/dp/B002IXZ5DE

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Behonkiss posted:

Absolutely buy a USB adapter rather than any third-party controller. It's been said many times in this thread, but most third-party controllers for these consoles are absolute trash. I would also recommend this route so you can change your controller later on.

edit: I haven't seen anyone talk about the Amazon one linked above, but the RetroUSB one is high quality with very little lag. Buy that one.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Pablo Gigante posted:

PSIV was 24 MegaBITS, not MegaBYTES. A Megabit is about 125 Kilobytes. They loved using Megabits to measure storage capacity on SNES/Genesis games for some reason.

One of the alleged golden rules of marketing is that putting a number on the box -- any number, doesn't matter how big or small -- attracts attention. Hence SMS games talking about their whopping two megabits.

Also, sorry to bring up an old conversation, but FF6's original translation is a really great work for the sort of time/space/programming constraints Square USA had to deal with at the time. By comparison, FF7's translation did not have these constraints but was instead simply incompetent (tho a lot was fixed in the PC version).

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I played Virtual On Oratorio Tangram last night and after fumbling with the controls for a bit I got the hang of it except for the fact that the "special" button (the arcade version's start button) is mapped to up/down on the analog stick and you need that for some moves like Cypher transforming. You don't even need to turn because it's slow and you can just lock on to enemies by either dashing around like crazy or hitting the jump button twice.

It's kind of ridiculous how people complained about the controls when they just take some getting used to. Also the music owns and the intro is fantastic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVIy3OrIPrk

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

univbee posted:

It took me a long time to figure this out. I remember when they were advertising Super Metroid as being the first 24 megabit game (incidentally I think the sheer cost of producing these is why the ROM contents are identical for US and Japanese copies of the game, cheaper to just do one giant production run), and scratching my head as to why it didn't have quite the degree of crazy visuals I was expecting for that filesize, compared to the PC games at the time which were in the 16-megabyte range (disk versions of Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max, King's Quest VI).

Having said that, I still don't have the slightest idea how the entirety of Super Mario World is only 512 kilobytes, considering most GIFs are bigger than that now.

Level layout data is actually really, really small because it uses a set of tiles for the graphics and then the level layout is just a map of the tiles. Additionally, graphics take up a lot less room on an SNES than they do on modern computers because a) there are fewer colors available, so each pixel requires less data to declare its color, and b) the resolution is much smaller.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Also since you guys are getting your SD2SNES' finally, I can report that this thing is excellent:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nifty-MiniD...271120274991%26

I just got it yesterday (the guy has to custom make them) but it allows you to use a microSD card without having to cut open an SNES cart. Your SNES cart now will look completely stock! This obviously works fine for Genesis and other flash carts that use full-sized SD. As your resident guinea pig, I highly recommend it!

Awesome. I completely forgot that i linked that to you. Great to hear that it works right.

I'm gonna hold off on buying it though, because as much as it bothers me that the SD card sticks out, it doesn't bother me enough yet to pay $20... $20 that could be spent on other stuff.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

SUPER HASSLER posted:

One of the alleged golden rules of marketing is that putting a number on the box -- any number, doesn't matter how big or small -- attracts attention. Hence SMS games talking about their whopping two megabits.

Yeah this is a thing on magazine covers too. Numbers = sales

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fatpat268 posted:

Awesome. I completely forgot that i linked that to you. Great to hear that it works right.

I'm gonna hold off on buying it though, because as much as it bothers me that the SD card sticks out, it doesn't bother me enough yet to pay $20... $20 that could be spent on other stuff.

To be fair to the eBay seller, he's hand making them, and the Kickstarter variant is way more expensive.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

FF7's translation did not have these constraints but was instead simply incompetent (tho a lot was fixed in the PC version).

Yeah but then you have to listen to MIDI files :stonk:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I watched my friend play the PC rerelease a bit and the MIDI music was pretty okay (and you can patch the PS1 music in if you don't like it)

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

MIDI doesn't have to sound bad, though. If you get a wavetable-based sequencer (or an actual synthesizer) and some good samples, it can sound quite good.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Best example of this in action from the Batman Arkham City Harley Quinn DLC store page on Steam:

"Over 2 hours of unique content"

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

SUPER HASSLER posted:

By comparison, FF7's translation did not have these constraints but was instead simply incompetent (tho a lot was fixed in the PC version).

Just curious, is there any way to get a fixed translation of FF7 onto a PSP? I want to play the game again and PSP is my best bet to do it.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kreeblah posted:

MIDI doesn't have to sound bad, though. If you get a wavetable-based sequencer (or an actual synthesizer) and some good samples, it can sound quite good.

FF7 went really weird with its MIDI support, because the latin vocals in the final boss fight were only present if you had an AWE64 sound card that would load the game's custom sound banks, which still didn't sound right compared the PS1 version. No idea how this plays out on the recent re-release.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Games today still cannot match two mega-power.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

univbee posted:

FF7 went really weird with its MIDI support, because the latin vocals in the final boss fight were only present if you had an AWE64 sound card that would load the game's custom sound banks, which still didn't sound right compared the PS1 version. No idea how this plays out on the recent re-release.

I get the impression that the PS1 version has a combination of CD audio streamed off the disc and programmed MIDI. If I'm right (I'm probably not) then it's probably how they were able to get weirdly high quality voice samples and stuff going along with some pretty archaic sounding beeps and boops.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001
Do those of you with SD2SNES carts and the like still keep or collect physical carts as well?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

kynikos posted:

Do those of you with SD2SNES carts and the like still keep or collect physical carts as well?

I personally do, even though I swore I wouldn't. I mainly use it for very expensive games (Earthbound, EVO) or hacks/translations/prototypes/betas/etc.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Yes, thank you. Sorry, I went to sleep. Trim it down however you want.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

univbee posted:

I like to think about RPGs like this, too. My first playthrough of FF6 was like 98 hours. The game is like 2-3 megabytes. That's a lot of entertainment in a small package.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

cat doter posted:

I get the impression that the PS1 version has a combination of CD audio streamed off the disc and programmed MIDI. If I'm right (I'm probably not) then it's probably how they were able to get weirdly high quality voice samples and stuff going along with some pretty archaic sounding beeps and boops.

I think what they did was use a custom sound bank; on the PC side, the Gravis Ultrasound was one of the pioneer sound cards for this technology; unlike the Sound Blasters of the day, drivers were required, as well as the installation of about 6 floppy disks containing recordings of all the sound samples the card would use, which would be uploaded into the RAM that was built onto the GUS card (which was a colossal card, basically the length of the high-end graphics cards of today minus the giant fans). Because this card allowed easy software MIDI remapping via a game-specific INI file, a few games exploited this, like the DOOM games, Duke Nukem 3D and Xcom: UFO Defense. The sound card also hardware-accelerated special types of files that were basically MIDI + the sound samples; popular formats included MOD, S3M and XM files, and in the early days of the internet a lot of Final Fantasy music was distributed in this format. You could play these files using just your CPU with the right software but I think this provided too much overhead for gaming use in those days, so I'm not familiar with any games specifically using this technology for PC. The game industry skipped straight from MIDI using whatever samples your sound card could handle, to CD Audio or some other equivalent. Final Fantasy VII's original PC release loaded a custom sound back if you had a Sound Blaster AWE64, which had on-board RAM allowing for sample swapping in the same way the Gravis Ultrasound did back in the day. It uploaded new "instruments" which were the latin vocals for the final boss fight.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Code Jockey posted:

I like to think about RPGs like this, too. My first playthrough of FF6 was like 98 hours. The game is like 2-3 megabytes. That's a lot of entertainment in a small package.

When a friend and I both first got into emulation, the first thing we said was how sad it is that the entirety of Atari's game collection; millions of dollars and unimaginable man-hours, can all be crammed into a zip file and put on two floppy disks.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I just want to time travel to when I was a kid, and hand my younger self a PSP with emulators filled with ROMs

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Hey watch how you talk about the self-proclaimed 'greatest role-playing adventure on the PC'!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

triplexpac posted:

I just want to time travel to when I was a kid, and hand my younger self a PSP with emulators filled with ROMs

I first got into SNES emulators in the mid 90's, while SNES games were still (kind of) being sold, and when sound wasn't even a thing in emulators. Not to bootleg stuff of course, but just because the idea of playing SNES on my PC sounded so awesome.

I think what you suggested would have been the final nail in the coffin in not graduating high school.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Hey watch how you talk about the self-proclaimed 'greatest role-playing adventure on the PC'!

I still have mine! PLUS the huge player's guide made for it!

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I had an ATI Rage Pro Turbo 2X. I hated it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I still have mine! PLUS the huge player's guide made for it!

Got mine still too, plus the French version (which came in a regular 4-CD Jewel case inside the giant PC box).

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

triplexpac posted:

I want to time travel to when I was a kid and tell myself BUY ALL OF THE EARTHBOUNDS

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

FF7 made me buy my first dedicated graphics card (a Voodoo3).

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
FF7 and FF8 for the PC were superior due to that aforementioned MIDI. Is there a way to play the awesome MIDI files without having to use a virtual machine?

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

kynikos posted:

It depends. I tend to still collect the carts worth keeping, like RPGs and the other staple snes games. But for other stuff, I keep it on the flash cart.

And of course, it's great for hacks and translations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasper
Oct 3, 2012

Of course Star fox will never work with a SEGA Genesis, but really, how many Genesis games had special chips in them anyways?

Only one off the top of my head is Virtual racing.

Wasper fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 10, 2013

• Locked thread