Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

1337JiveTurkey posted:

checking beforehand only makes sense when the checks are atomic with the operation itself. the filesystem driver will have to do the checks atomically anyhow so the non-atomic check beforehand only introduces a race condition if the error checks behave differently in any way. so just let the filesystem driver do its job and handle the errors it produces.

precisely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I've mentioned my book a few times now, and it's officially out. Those of you who were interested and skipped on the free copy through reviewing can now get it 40% off + DRM free ebook copies at http://nostar.ch/erlang_promo. Apparently the 40% off remains for the week after so you can go grab other books for a cheaper prize than usual after that.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
gently caress it, we'll do it live and just look for an error code

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

http://swizec.com/blog/my-very-own-daily-wtf/swizec/5829

quote:

Part of the project is done in Java. This makes sense, strict typing is the only logical decision considering what the codebase is doing.

Everything else is done in JavaScript. The communication protocol between Java and server JavaScript and frontend JavaScript … well that’s got a ban on parameter names being longer than three characters.

quote:

How do you make a boolean value fit this protocol? By doing this:

code:
function fix(boolean_value) {
    return boolean_value ? 'tru' : 'fls';
}
So much for saving space. Encode 1bit values into 24bit strings! Booyah!

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

"Erlang User of the Year 2012"

thats a thing?

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

MononcQc posted:

I've mentioned my book a few times now, and it's officially out. Those of you who were interested and skipped on the free copy through reviewing can now get it 40% off + DRM free ebook copies at http://nostar.ch/erlang_promo. Apparently the 40% off remains for the week after so you can go grab other books for a cheaper prize than usual after that.

u rock :h:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

jooky posted:

thats a thing?

yes it's like president, but class president, and for Erlang. I even have a hand-carved plaque made in Sweden.

You get voted in by the community and then a council of elders (old timers and whatnot) pick a winner for contributions to the community. Then it's announced at the Erlang User Conference in Stockholm and you get to go on stage or shoot a video where you thank people for it. 2011 was the guy who wrote the build system now used by nearly everyone, and the year before (I think) was the facebook guys that wrote facebook chat in Erlang and basically got a lot of visibility going for the language.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

jooky posted:

thats a thing?

easy to compute

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I have more Erlang User of the Year awards than DiCaprio has Academy awards

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MononcQc posted:

2011 was the guy who wrote the build system now used by nearly everyone

dizzy is rad, rebar is apparently rad

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
Do you put them all on your resume?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

Do you put them all on your resume?

the people that get those awards don't really use resumes, they're kind of like tef in that all they have to do is quit saying "no" when people ask if they want to work with them

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'm happy at my job and have gotten the thing since then but I'd probably put it in my resume if the space allows it and if I'd be applying for an Erlang job.

My two last jobs I got in by asking or being asked and saying yes, talking with people there over Skype or phone as a relaxed interview and then the resume they asked for was probably a clerical thing or I don't know.

First Erlang job I asked for it over twitter to the owner of Erlang Solutions and he gave it to me, current one I got by helping a guy on IRC who happened to be looking for someone in my province.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Yeah man it's weird getting to the point where the companies are after you and you just have to keep turning them down

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
same except s/companies/women/

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MononcQc posted:

yes it's like president, but class president, and for Erlang. I even have a hand-carved plaque made in Sweden.

You get voted in by the community and then a council of elders (old timers and whatnot) pick a winner for contributions to the community. Then it's announced at the Erlang User Conference in Stockholm and you get to go on stage or shoot a video where you thank people for it. 2011 was the guy who wrote the build system now used by nearly everyone, and the year before (I think) was the facebook guys that wrote facebook chat in Erlang and basically got a lot of visibility going for the language.

This almost sounds like a joke, but even if it is, that's pretty cool. :thumbsup:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
idea: shaggar is freddy mercury, java is Big Fat Fanny

makes u think

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Otto Skorzeny posted:

idea: shaggar is freddy mercury, java is Big Fat Fanny

makes u think

shaggar is weird al and java is an accordion and nobody that has an emotional age over 12 wants anything to deal with either one

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

prefect posted:

This almost sounds like a joke, but even if it is, that's pretty cool. :thumbsup:

It's not a joke, it's pretty much how it works. The vote in by the community is done through polls and/or e-mails and mailing lists. It's not a council of elders so to say, but it's a list of people like the inventors of the language, former winners of the award, people who used it since the 90s when it was behind closed doors at Ericsson, etc.

The Erlang User Conference exists, it happens in downtown Stockholm every year with hundreds of delegates from across Europe and a few from North America or Japan, too. It's a pretty fantastic community, and you'll get equal parts of academics and people from the industry talking together and shooting ideas around. I figure it's a very fun mix compared to the conferences that are pretty much one giant sales pitch, or those that are just about papers papers papers (though I like papers).

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MononcQc posted:

It's not a joke, it's pretty much how it works. The vote in by the community is done through polls and/or e-mails and mailing lists. It's not a council of elders so to say, but it's a list of people like the inventors of the language, former winners of the award, people who used it since the 90s when it was behind closed doors at Ericsson, etc.

The Erlang User Conference exists, it happens in downtown Stockholm every year with hundreds of delegates from across Europe and a few from North America or Japan, too. It's a pretty fantastic community, and you'll get equal parts of academics and people from the industry talking together and shooting ideas around. I figure it's a very fun mix compared to the conferences that are pretty much one giant sales pitch, or those that are just about papers papers papers (though I like papers).

What's it like being a really great programmer? How do you decide what you want to do next? Do you choose all your work yourself? Do you have bosses who actually try to tell you what to do?

Edit: Sorry for acting like a fanboy. I get a little starry-eyed when I encounter people who are really good at things I have an interest in. (It's terrible when I run into somebody in the real world who understands music (especially theory)). :blush:

prefect fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 10, 2013

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

prefect posted:

What's it like being a really great programmer? How do you decide what you want to do next? Do you choose all your work yourself? Do you have bosses who actually try to tell you what to do?

i hire ghost programmers and sign my name on the commits

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
~people call me the http whisperer~

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
currently reading The Pragmatic Programmer. it's a p.chill book.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the people that get those awards don't really use resumes, they're kind of like tef in that all they have to do is quit saying "no" when people ask if they want to work with them

i still use a resume :shobon:

when I have been asked, it is often more of a recommendation, and some guarantee to get me to the interview stage.

thing is, many of the people who ask me to work with them are often asking the same question "do you want to come and burn up at my company", and i say no.

it might be a while yet until I quit saying 'no'—i'm currently like a spoilt child in my current job, with hilarious flexibility in hours, and i'm afraid of leaving everything behind and moving.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

had a skype call about another role working in nyc, went pretty ok i think and the guy (who's the lead engineer) actually asked some basic technical stuff instead of just "what are you doing now" which is good. asked about how i'd write a function to remove duplicates from a list (during which i referenced using a tiny bit of haskell :3:), REST, and inheritance. again, basic stuff, but still better than the guys who wouldn't ask poo poo.

i just got an email to set up a time to talk with another backend engineer next week, so the wheels are in motion.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
that and i've been burned by saying yes a couple of times.

friends who worked there told me it was great, but they weren't working directly with the group I would be working in, and the company was going through growing pains, and in the end I lost my job because my code would work without me watching it, and they ran out of money.

another was when I was approached by a new startup and they seemed to have something interesting, but it took me a while to realize that the technology and ideas were bunk. being dragged across the country to lie to clients had something to do with burning out.

i'm really looking to escape the whole startup cycle - join a company trying to grow or under explosive growth, get burned out trying to keep everything working, or frustrated when the problems turn out to be higher up in the chain of command and there isn't anything I can do, or watch as people are hired above me.

without working for a faceless giant where I resign all attempts to change things.

i couldn't be hosed about the technology I get to work on. if i'm working for terrible people, I am only allowed to do terrible things.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Yeah man it's weird getting to the point where the companies are after you and you just have to keep turning them down

Otto Skorzeny posted:

same except s/companies/women/

neither of these things will last

someday you will be old. prepare.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
not being hit on by women very often anymore is actually not bad

i am really afraid of the time when people stop trying to recruit me at random :ohdear:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
one day i'd like to wake up and know what the gently caress I am doing with my life :unsmith:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tef posted:

one day i'd like to wake up and know what the gently caress I am doing with my life :unsmith:

everyone ever

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

tef posted:

here's a hint: [spoiler[the universe will find a reason to squash you no matter what, you're rotting already[/poiler]

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
there's lots of choices

blow savings / raise capital for own startup company
go into management
give up and live an unfulfilled life
go into education
retire with not enough savings and live off the government while slowly going insane

its also a checkbox poll, just to keep things fresh

whos to say you cannot be a hobo ceo teaching beginner C

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

sometimes i think about the bandwidth and electricity used to stream, like, the worst TV show on TV alone, and i feel terrible

sometimes i think about the terrible technological legacy we left, and the horrible way the machine marches on without regards to the blind, elderly, or disabled, and i feel sick to my stomach

sometimes, before i even catch myself, i wake up and think about the future of children in all the third world shitholes climbing over mountains of disease and human trash just to make enough money harvesting rare earth metals for the next android tablet

those days it's a liquid lunch

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MeruFM posted:

there's lots of choices

blow savings / raise capital for own startup company

considered this

quote:

go into management

this is essentially option 1 for the companies i've worked at

quote:

give up and live an unfulfilled life

this is basically these two options

quote:

go into education
retire with not enough savings and live off the government while slowly going insane

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

congrats on having your book published. i will tweet it to my seven followers. not the 40%-off link, just the regular one. unless you prefer otherwise.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tef posted:

it will dawn on you not too long from now
when you are too old to do anything about it
hindsight is 20/20

edit: or you could die very suddenly in the near future. that might be better, since then you will never have to face your mortality.

Nevergirls
Jul 4, 2004

It's not right living this way, not letting others know what's true and what's false.
I recommend monasticism

At least I assume that's what it means when you spend long hours in bars staring into space and worrying that there aren't enough competent people to go around

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nevergirls posted:

I recommend monasticism

At least I assume that's what it means when you spend long hours in bars staring into space and worrying that there aren't enough competent people to go around

funny, i call that "recruiting"

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
along the lines of nevergirls post from the last page

im sure everyone here has heard the story before but i never cease to be amazed by the therac-25

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
see also when the london ambulance service tried to modernize their manual pen and paper dispatch system with computers

Systems Options, the company supplying the major part of the software for the system, is reported as having had no previous experience of building dispatch systems for ambulance services. The company had won the £1.1 million contract for the system in June 1991.

Over the following weeks several meetings were held with prospective suppliers [...] and it was clear that most of the suppliers raised concerns over the proposed timetable [...] They were all told that this timetable was non- negotiable. [...] Out of all the proposals there was only one which met the total LAS requirement, including timetable and price

However, it seems LAS had previously scrapped a development by IAL (a BTsubsidiary) at a cost of £7.5 million in October 1990. The latter project is reported to have started a year late (in May 1987), and it seems to have been scrapped because of a debate over faulty software. The LAS sought damages from IAL for a faulty dispatch module in October 1990.Also, it appears that Systems Options substantially underbid an established supplier (McDonnel-Douglas) and were put under pressure to complete the system quickly.

The managing director of a competing software house wrote various memoranda to LAS management in June and July 1991 describing the project as 'totally and fatally flawed'. Another consultant described LAS's specifications as poor in leaving many areas undefined.

The system was lightly loaded at start-up on 26 October 1992. Any problems, caused particularly by the communications systems (such as ambulance crews pressing the wrong buttons, or ambulances being radioed in blackspots), could be effectively managed by staff. However, as the number of ambulance incidents increased, the amount of incorrect vehicle information recorded by the system increased. This had a knock-on effect in that the system made incorrect allocations on the basis of the information it had. For example, multiple vehicles were sent to the same incident, or the closest vehicle was not chosen for dispatch. As a consequence, the system had fewer ambulance resources to allocate.

Indeed, the number of exception messages appears to have increased to such an extent the staff were not able to clear the queue. It became increasingly difficult for staff to attend to messages that had scrolled off the screen. The increasing size of the queue slowed the system. All this meant that, with fewer resources to allocate, and the problems of dealing with the waiting and exceptional queues, it took longer to allocate resources to incidents.

At the receiving end, patients became frustrated with the delays to ambulances arriving at incidents. This led to an increase in the number of calls made back to the LAS HQ relating to already recorded incidents.
ion. The system therefore appears to have been in a vicious circle of cause and effect.

In addition, it was claimed that ar eorganisation of sector desks over the preceding weekend may have caused loss of local knowledge.

Claims were later made in the press that up to 20-30 people may have died as aresult of ambulances arriving too late on the scene.