Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
A couple of news sources are reporting the passing of Huell Howser, which only caught my attention because Comedy Bang Bang taught me who he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Like pretty much every CBB listener who doesn't hail from California, I only learned about Huell Howser from Adomian's impression. What's really scary is tracking down some California's Gold clips and finding out the character isn't that far off the mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l99Ek4YtTuw

He'll forever be remembered as...California's Gold!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

So weird that today's episodes of CBB and Walking the Room both make references to the fish-in-the-vagina story from "Hammer of the Gods".

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Today's episode is definitely a candidate for next year's #1. Not only was the Scott and Ben segment hilarious once Horatio came on it kind of dipped for a bit but then just went out into the comedy stratosphere.

At first I didn't think the character was going to go anywhere but then his crazy tangent stories started and I lost it. Got some comments about all the laughing here at work.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Oh god, Huell :(

I hope there's a tasteful memorial segment in a future episode.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Adomian played Hitchens pre and post-death, so why not Howser?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Because Hitchens was a dick.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I'm ashamed to say that my immediate, instinctual reaction to hearing Howser had died was "I can't wait til James Adomian is on CBB again"

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I may never stop laughing at the idea of Goodfelines and its 81 sequels.

Also, RIP Huell Howser.

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!
I hope Huell Howser is resting peacefully in beautiful Heaven, California!

Production
Jun 11, 2001
Huell is like Will Ferrell's Harry Caray, I think you can get away with playing him just the same after he dies because the character is already so absurd that it's just another fitting detail that he happens to be dead.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I haven't felt this sad about the death of a California Institution since Wally George died.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Holy poo poo that episode was amazing. Schwartz couldn't believe what was happening and neither could I!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
James Adomian has written an article about Huell Howser's life, his status as a California icon, and an unexpected phone call from the man himself.

James Adomian posted:

I was at party when I got a call from a blocked number. A voice on the phone asked, "Is this James?" and I asked who was calling - and his answer came booming back enthusiastically: "This is Huell Howser! I heard you been doin' an impression of me on the internet!"

For a moment I wondered if it was a friend pranking me, but instead of any cartoonish caricature, here was Huell, boisterous but now measured, self-aware and razor sharp. Oh no, he heard, he's angry, he's going to tell me to stop.

I remember locking myself in the bathroom so I could hear him as I fumbled for the right words. I told him clumsily that this was like taking a call from a fictional character, like Big Bird or Sherlock Holmes. His tone was gracious and vulnerable. "Well, I guess it must be pretty easy to do a dumb Southern accent!" - an exclamation as always. I was floored. We laughed. He was right.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
New kroll show video just got added with him and Mulaney doing Gil Faizon and George St. Geegland, with Joe Mande too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkqVc9PP1fc

I lost it at Mulaney's face when he says "what's the meaning of this?" but apparently it and all the other Kroll show clips they posted are pretty polarizing. Seems like 3/4th of the comments are THIS ISN'T KEY AND PEELE I SUBSCRIBED ONLY FOR KEY AND PEELE! They've also got one up of the character he did on the holiday episode with Jenny Slate.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Yeah I agree about Mulaney; his facial expressions actually make the characters better.

Even if the show doesn't succeed (and I really hope it will), after seeing that sketch I hope they bring those characters to (hopefully) another season of CBB TV.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Is someone going to make a TVIV thread for the Kroll show so 20 people can go "UGH ANOTHER CHAPPELLE SHOW CLONE?" because they think Dave Chappelle invented sketch comedy?

e: that makes me think, I wonder what I'm going to do for the CBB season 2 thread if that's a thing. On one hand, literally all the work I put into the first season's OP went to waste because nobody but people who already knew what the podcast was watched the show. On the other, I really hate low effort OPs. Then again, who would notice if I just copied last season's OP?

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 10, 2013

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Am I crazy or was the Kroll Show at one point going to be called 'The Nick Show Kroll'? Or was that another show he was working on that didn't wind up going anywhere? Or did I make it up?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Is someone going to make a TVIV thread for the Kroll show so 20 people can go "UGH ANOTHER CHAPPELLE SHOW CLONE?" because they think Dave Chappelle invented sketch comedy?

e: that makes me think, I wonder what I'm going to do for the CBB season 2 thread if that's a thing. On one hand, literally all the work I put into the first season's OP went to waste because nobody but people who already knew what the podcast was watched the show. On the other, I really hate low effort OPs. Then again, who would notice if I just copied last season's OP?

Just copy/paste it and change things that have changed. And maybe add a paragraph about the Kroll Show.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

tnimark posted:

Am I crazy or was the Kroll Show at one point going to be called 'The Nick Show Kroll'? Or was that another show he was working on that didn't wind up going anywhere? Or did I make it up?

He and other people definitely said it that way a bunch of times, Comedy Central probably put their foot down and told him to stop loving around. Either that or he realized a jokey title has like zero shelf-life.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

He wanted to call it that because he's dyslexic.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Hey cool, a new ep just dropped with Kristen Schaal, Neil Campbell and Pamela Murphy.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
And Pamela Murphy's doing the same character :( Kristen Schaal's keeping quiet. Stop sitting on your hands Schaal, you can stop this!
e:great new addition to the closing of the plug bag theme.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 10, 2013

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

You know what to do. Just shoot the whole OP in green screen.

Problem solved :colbert:

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Occasionally dropping 2 CBBs per week sounds like a pretty awesome deal, I just wish I had more spare hours of the week to listen to all the great episodes coming out.

I'm getting way to fiercely loyal about what I listen to, and giving up episodes or whole podcasts is like giving away your firstborn (podcasts are people right? I'm not alone in this?). Especially when I'm a stickler for listening to things in order when it's something I like, not just the occasional good episodes/guests. I gotta keep the continuity!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The Kroll Show really makes me want to get nachos with Nick Kroll, Adam Pally, Jason Mantzoukas, Seth Morris, Ed Helms, Brian Huskey and Jon Daly.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Your thread for the first season got me to both watch the show and listen to the podcast, so you should put more effort into the next thread so that more people are convinced to try these things out.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
So was Schall serious when she was talking about her special not airing? For some reason the whole thing sounded kind of real and sad.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
There's an entire episode of the Kroll Show already available for watching. http://www.comedycentral.com/episodes/nmtx20/kroll-show-san-diego-diet-season-1-ep-102 I don't know if everyone knows that, just wanted to make it clear.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

enigmahfc posted:

So was Schall serious when she was talking about her special not airing? For some reason the whole thing sounded kind of real and sad.

Sure sounded real, yeah.

Rick Faber was a phenomenal character and had me in stitches.

The other character was just as bad as they were the first time. They brought her back to rehash the same unfunny schtick and develop nothing? Strange.

Having multiple Comedy Bang Bangs a week is absolutely glorious though. That's twice as many commutes I actively look forward to, just a beautiful thing.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I really want to like Pamela Murphy's character but she (the character) is just awful :(. I wish they'd bring back Tracy (Lauren Lapkus' traveler character) instead. The other guests are pretty great though.

bowser fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 11, 2013

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If stopping a live show thousands of miles from where I live means more chances of double podcast action, then suck it good weather havers.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

UP AND ADAM posted:

There's an entire episode of the Kroll Show already available for watching. http://www.comedycentral.com/episodes/nmtx20/kroll-show-san-diego-diet-season-1-ep-102 I don't know if everyone knows that, just wanted to make it clear.

I like Kroll in small doses and as a character actor. I really wanted to like this, but it just wasn't very funny.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

Your thread for the first season got me to both watch the show and listen to the podcast, so you should put more effort into the next thread so that more people are convinced to try these things out.

DAMMIT. (jk)

It should be easier this season since there's actual tv show to work with. Also there's no way the title won't be "Comedy Bang Bang season 2: Look, I'm sorry I slept with your sister. Now put mom on the phone." (I think that's the line)

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I don't know why, but the funniest part of the latest episode for me was when Scott asked the kid, "Would your friends make fun of you if you dated someone who didn't have a disability but rode a wheelchair for fun?" And the kid replied, "Would they...HUH?"

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Loved the horrible teenager, hope he comes back. Getting a bit tiresome with the dumb/apathetic/'blonde' girl characters, there's been like 3 or 4 of them recently and I can't tell them apart.

...Unless it's really meta and I'm not supposed to be able to tell them apart :thejoke:

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

^^^ I really enjoyed Tracy, cringe-inducing voice and all

DAMMIT. (jk)

It should be easier this season since there's actual tv show to work with. Also there's no way the title won't be "Comedy Bang Bang season 2: Look, I'm sorry I slept with your sister. Now put mom on the phone." (I think that's the line)

Yes, that's the line. The best line.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Comedy Central Presents ended in 2011 so I am really confused about Schall's thing...

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I think it was an hour-long special, not strictly an episode of CCP? The same thing Comedy Central did with Hannibal Burress and John Mulaney, etc. - they record an hour and turn it into a TV special and a comedy CD.

I know they recorded a Todd Barry one and never released it, too, so it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

NotWearingPants posted:

I like Kroll in small doses and as a character actor. I really wanted to like this, but it just wasn't very funny.

I disagree. I thought it was pretty good, especially considering it's the first episode in a new show. I'll admit Kroll talking at the beginning of the show wasn't very entertaining, and the San Diego Diet bit was boring, but I thought everything else was fantastic. I was losing it during pretty much all of Wheels, Ontario.

e: I'm saying this assuming it's the same episode that's up on Hulu.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 11, 2013