Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I notice a few people have ordered vinyl off Amazon here, what's your experience been like with it? For some reason I am wary of ordering records from a place like Amazon. I normally order from dedicated vinyl sites or direct from the label/artist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

nomapple posted:

I notice a few people have ordered vinyl off Amazon here, what's your experience been like with it? For some reason I am wary of ordering records from a place like Amazon. I normally order from dedicated vinyl sites or direct from the label/artist.

I pretty much order any big label stuff I get from there, they are great. Good packaging, fast, free shipping. A lot more reliable than any of the vinyl "stores" on the web like Interpunk or Insound.

It's usually black vinyl, and doesn't usually come with a download code, if that matters to you.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Neat NPR article that I found on MeFi:

"You know why we did it? So a DJ could take a lunch break. When you have all three-minute records, you don't even have time to go to the bathroom. Or you just want to stop for a minute. So that's 19-and-a-half minutes of 'I don't have to worry about a thing.' But I didn't do it to create this thing. I just did it to help the DJs out."

https://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2013/01/07/168801120/you-can-never-say-goodbye-to-the-dancefloorc

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Ron Burgundy posted:

Finished that Ferrero box from Christmas yet? Good. Because the holder things are the same size as most carts.

Wow, most of the styluses are broken. I should be more careful.

As someone who's pretty new to the whole vinyl thing, what's the advantage of owning this many cartridges?

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

whereismyshoe posted:

As someone who's pretty new to the whole vinyl thing, what's the advantage of owning this many cartridges?

Most of them are super crap things taken off old turntables that have passed my way over the years. I just don't have the heart to throw them away.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

nomapple posted:

Usually they send records in nice mailers, but I've gotten records from them that were in a taped up collapsed box if you know what I mean? I've also gotten a damaged record from them (no damage to shipping box), but amazon is super easy to do returns with (and they cross ship) so it's not that big a deal.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

If you get something direct from Amazon, it's fine. Once you start dealing with other merchants selling through Amazon, it's hit or miss.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
The last thing I ordered from Amazon was through a seller called Rarewaves. It got lost in the post and was super limited edition so they couldn't just replace it. They did offer to ship me another record from their store for free though and that arrived in very good shape very fast. I have also read that sometimes Amazon just wrap a sleeve in plastic shrink and stick a postage label straight on if the sleeve looks sturdy, so YMMV.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

david puddy posted:

The last thing I ordered from Amazon was through a seller called Rarewaves. It got lost in the post and was super limited edition so they couldn't just replace it. They did offer to ship me another record from their store for free though and that arrived in very good shape very fast. I have also read that sometimes Amazon just wrap a sleeve in plastic shrink and stick a postage label straight on if the sleeve looks sturdy, so YMMV.

I've ordered a shitload of records from them and this has never happened. That sounds crazy.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

alg posted:

I've ordered a shitload of records from them and this has never happened. That sounds crazy.

Yeah it's never happened to me either but I read something the other day either on another forum or Reddit that they shipped someone's Mellon Collie reissue that way. I am 99% sure I have seen similar stories for less sturdy sets though

vedicardi
Oct 17, 2012

mono posted:

If you get something direct from Amazon, it's fine. Once you start dealing with other merchants selling through Amazon, it's hit or miss.

Yeah I've had problems with this, NEW records coming with the sleeves coming apart, records in far less than stellar condition, etc

somewhat off topic, but what do you guys think about this?
http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_lin...&pf_rd_i=507846

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

vedicardi posted:

Yeah I've had problems with this, NEW records coming with the sleeves coming apart, records in far less than stellar condition, etc

somewhat off topic, but what do you guys think about this?
http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_lin...&pf_rd_i=507846

Completely and utterly pointless. I guess it's cool if you're really lazy. And why would you even buy the CD version of something if you wanted the MP3 version for various devices?

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

stay depressed posted:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-Speed-Box-II

I bought one of these and never looked back. I listen to punk and hardcore almost exclusively which means I'm constantly changing speeds. It also will regulate it to 33/45 so no more "Hmm is this playing just slightly too fast?" kind of poo poo. I got really really loving tired of lifting the platter off and changing the belt.

Did you notice any difference in sound quality? I've been happy with my Debut Carbon (coming from a beat-up old low-range Technics), but occasionally I hear what I assume to be motor noise if it's a very quiet intro or whatever. It could be because it's just sitting on my wood cabinet with no vibration dampening, but I think I've heard some people say the speed box eliminated similar situations. I also secretly want the acrylic platter replacement (somewhat just for the looks, but also because random internet people seem to say it'll sound better), but I'm not sure how smart it is to spend $120 on various upgrades for a ~$400 player.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

iluvpr0n posted:

I'm not sure how smart it is to spend $120 on various upgrades for a ~$400 player.

:staredog:

niff
Jul 4, 2010

Monkeytime posted:

The only lathe cut I have or have heard is the Monarque "Vigor Mortis" 8", which sounds fine to me. On the other hand, maybe it sounds fine because it's lo-fi Quebecois black metal anyway. The sound is a little thin which I always chalked up to it having the weight of a flexi. The real issue with lathe cuts as I understand it is that they only hold up for 50-100 plays before the grooves are worn out.

The guy who does these claims a 1000 play lifespan. My band is fairly heavy stoner/doom so hi-fi isn't really our thing - sounds perfect.

Thanks for all the posts, fellas. I will now slowly back out of the thread so I don't get caught up pricing gear.. although I did get this for xmas.

vedicardi
Oct 17, 2012

CPL593H posted:

Completely and utterly pointless. I guess it's cool if you're really lazy. And why would you even buy the CD version of something if you wanted the MP3 version for various devices?

Yeah, I was just looking forward to seeing it applied to vinyl albums, one's that don't include download cards (I hate download cards, anyway)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

vedicardi posted:

Yeah, I was just looking forward to seeing it applied to vinyl albums, one's that don't include download cards (I hate download cards, anyway)

I don't own a single digital listening device and the vast majority of my music is on vinyl, so for someone like me it doesn't matter at all. Plus this allows me to maintain an air of smug superiority when ever I see someone using an iPod.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
But the person using an iPod may have a turntable at home?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

dflanny posted:

But the person using an iPod may have a turntable at home?

I lug my turntable in a pack on my back.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Who still uses iPods ? All I see now are people using phones for mobile music.

Edit: in 20 years people will listen to vintage iPods.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

CPL593H posted:

I don't own a single digital listening device and the vast majority of my music is on vinyl, so for someone like me it doesn't matter at all. Plus this allows me to maintain an air of smug superiority when ever I see someone using an iPod.

"Why do they even make DVDs? I don't have a television at home and I go to see all movies at a theater, so to someone like me it doesn't matter at all."

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

vedicardi posted:

Well, it already exists in some ways. You purchase a record from some companies directly, they give you the downloads. It's probably a little harder to work out from a seller like Amazon.

I feel that all new albums should give you the MP3 downloads.

Also, does anyone know of any good shops to get records in the Madison, Wisconsin area. The two day drive to Vintage Vinyl in Jersey just isn't going to be worth it, I feel.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I lug my turntable in a pack on my back.

I carry mine around on my shoulder like a boombox.

(If you have one of these you can actually do that)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Blast Fantasto posted:

"Why do they even make DVDs? I don't have a television at home and I go to see all movies at a theater, so to someone like me it doesn't matter at all."

Although I don't actually own any portable music devices, I wasn't really being serious. I figured that was pretty obvious based on what I said.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Besides the only way to listen to music on the go is to wheel around an old fashioned juke box that plays 7" singles. Moving around the unit itself is pretty easy, but you'd be surprised at how few will even listen to your request to plus a very long extension cord into their home or business.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

alg posted:

Edit: in 20 years people will listen to vintage iPods.

20 years? HA! It was around the 4th or 5th generation when I saw people complaining that the older generation sounded better and how they were stocking up while folks were upgrading.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

CPL593H posted:

Besides the only way to listen to music on the go is to wheel around an old fashioned juke box that plays 7" singles. Moving around the unit itself is pretty easy, but you'd be surprised at how few will even listen to your request to plus a very long extension cord into their home or business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCumH8LRo1A
Skip to about one minute.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I didn't even need to watch this, I knew what it was as soon as I saw the title. I loving love Mr. Show.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

CPL593H posted:

I know it's been debated a lot (and discussed here a bunch), but is there any information out there that says whether or no colored vinyl sounds any different (and/or worse) than standard black? I'm not sure how it would effect the pressing, but I wouldn't find it hard to believe considering that 100% of bad pressings I've ever purchased were colored vinyl.

As previously mentioned, a lot of it is usually the fault of the company actually pressing the records. Especially with special edition or funky patterned pressings, the batches are really small and the quality control and manufacturing consistency aren't on par with larger productions. And the faults tend to increase with complexity/number of patterns or variations.

Where a large uniform production run might be fully automated with hoppers and tubes feeding a set amount of vinyl beads into the presses, color/pattern pressings are often way more dependent on manual labor to take care of that stuff. You've got guys hand feeding the machines (If you saw the promo video for the Heady Fwends RSD release, you may remember a clip of some hippy-looking dude scooping up handfuls of different colored beads from various bins, running across a plant floor, and chucking them into a press), leading to inconsistencies and getting personal/environmental contaminants like hair or skin or whatever in the product.

Shaping the beads into patterns like swirls, speckles, or duo-tones or adding stuff like metallic pigments/shavings also affect the evenness of the disk and consistency of the material that goes into the press- which further impact sound quality. But outside of that, there's nothing inherent to the compounds in a record that would make one color superior to another- unless you've got a fancy laser turntable that can't read a light colored LP or something.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Some of my early REMs are translucent brown. Seriously. Hold your old REM records up to a light and see through the sound!

Shenanigans! I have a first/second-run copy of every REM album released before the '90s (except for the Chronic Town EP, which is the blue RSD repress from like 2010 or whatever) and a bunch of Fables-era promo singles and not one of them is translucent brown. :mad: :reject: :mad: :reject: :mad:

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 11, 2013

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Shenanigans! I have a first/second-run copy of every REM album released before the '90s (except for the Chronic Town EP, which is the blue RSD repress from like 2010 or whatever) and a bunch of Fables-era promo singles and not one of them is translucent brown. :mad: :reject: :mad: :reject: :mad:

Well, when I hold my record up to the light, I can see quite clearly that I am the bigger Rapid Eye Movement fan.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

As previously mentioned, a lot of it is usually the fault of the company actually pressing the records. Especially with special edition or funky patterned pressings, the batches are really small and the quality control and manufacturing consistency aren't on par with larger productions. And the faults tend to increase with complexity/number of patterns or variations.

Where a large uniform production run might be fully automated with hoppers and tubes feeding a set amount of vinyl beads into the presses, color/pattern pressings are often way more dependent on manual labor to take care of that stuff. You've got guys hand feeding the machines (If you saw the promo video for the Heady Fwends RSD release, you may remember a clip of some hippy-looking dude scooping up handfuls of different colored beads from various bins, running across a plant floor, and chucking them into a press), leading to inconsistencies and getting personal/environmental contaminants like hair or skin or whatever in the product.

Shaping the beads into patterns like swirls, speckles, or duo-tones or adding stuff like metallic pigments/shavings also affect the evenness of the disk and consistency of the material that goes into the press- which further impact sound quality. But outside of that, there's nothing inherent to the compounds in a record that would make one color superior to another- unless you've got a fancy laser turntable that can't read a light colored LP or something.

This is actually what I suspected in terms of two tone and multicolor pressings.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Love the next clip too!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Original MSFL on JVC Super Vinyl were sort of clear brown. Did REM ever have MFSL releases?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

That's actually one of the best episodes. If you can find it on Netflix or whatever you should watch it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

Well, when I hold my record up to the light, I can see quite clearly that I am the bigger Rapid Eye Movement fan.

:nyd:gently caress you, guy- I AM Driver 8. :nyd:

:smugdog:

Ron Burgundy posted:

Love the next clip too!

Original MSFL on JVC Super Vinyl were sort of clear brown. Did REM ever have MFSL releases?

:shrug: and I don't really care, MY records kick rear end all around the block.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 11, 2013

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Ron Burgundy posted:

MFSL actually reissued their IRS records on vinyl at the same time that they got a deluxe reissue.

But apparently, in the 80s, it wasn't uncommon for records to be translucent. They would look black, but then you hold them up to a light, and you would see through them.

Which begs the question - why the gently caress are these people holding their records up to lights to discover this?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Can't speak for other labels, but the MSFL jacket tells you to!

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

If you pre-ordered the new Yo La Tengo album it should be showing up soon. I received mine today and from what I've heard so far I really like it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Oh, look at that...Congratulations Insound! You've shipped half of the order I placed back in the third week of November. You know, the one that you didn't let me know was almost entirely composed of backordered stuff until after I'd placed it.

Swear to God- last time I buy from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Oh, look at that...Congratulations Insound! You've shipped half of the order I placed back in the third week of November. You know, the one that you didn't let me know was almost entirely composed of backordered stuff until after I'd placed it.

Swear to God- last time I buy from them.

My cyber Monday order from pop market still hasn't shipped despite the dec. 10-20 og estimate. When I check the site now it states shipping late January.