Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Beastie posted:

Oh I didn't realize it was an Apple thing. I'm still glad the app is back, checking the forums in browser is quite tedious.

Well, that's the problem. It should be an Apple thing. But currently if developers want users to be able to control which app opens, it has to be done on a per-app basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Beastie posted:

Any chance you guys would create an option to open links in your browser of choice? Right now it uses Safari and I think it would be a nice touch for those of us who rely on Chrome. It's not a problem or anything I just hate having to go copy the link from Safari to Chrome if I want to end up saving the link.

:ssh: This is already in the dev version..

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Froist posted:

:ssh: This is already in the dev version..

That's not really true. You have the option to open in either Awful or Safari, but not in any other browsers.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

That's not really true. You have the option to open in either Awful or Safari, but not in any other browsers.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Oh, well look at that. I missed that somehow.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

This may have been brought up before, but how about variable font sizes? Or even a S/M/L switch? Would be great for Minis..

I *do* appreciate the dark theme, as it saves untold minutes of power.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It's definitely planned, but I can't say when it'll actually happen.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Binary Badger posted:

This may have been brought up before, but how about variable font sizes? Or even a S/M/L switch? Would be great for Minis..

I *do* appreciate the dark theme, as it saves untold minutes of power.

It's on the list

e;fb

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Can you still just replace the stylesheet in iTunes? That would work for something simple like font size.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Down right sexy awesome. Assume no different on iPhone?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Same on iPhone. Although I didn't see a "Copy URL" there, don't know if it's contextual (somehow) or not.

ZebraByNumbers
Oct 26, 2009

myron cope posted:

Same on iPhone. Although I didn't see a "Copy URL" there, don't know if it's contextual (somehow) or not.

It's the bottom choice. Edit: unless you mean you're testing it right now and it's not there.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Yeah this is testing now,

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

myron cope posted:

If I recall correctly the copy URL option is in github but I haven't sent out a test release with it yet.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
The next version of Awful will happily send links to these browsers at your direction:

Safari
Chrome
Grazing
iCab Mobile
Mercury
Opera Mini

If your browser of choice isn't listed let me know, and if you happen to know its URL schemes that's even better!

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

No Internet Explorer 6????

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

TheMightyHandful posted:

No Internet Explorer 6????

No. No never. :colbert:

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

pokeyman posted:

The next version of Awful will happily send links to these browsers at your direction:

Safari
Chrome
Grazing
iCab Mobile
Mercury
Opera Mini

If your browser of choice isn't listed let me know, and if you happen to know its URL schemes that's even better!

Dolphin, although I don't have the URL schemes.

Thanks for all of your hard work.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

GoodCleanFun posted:

Dolphin, although I don't have the URL schemes.

http://handleopenurl.com/scheme/dolphin-browser ?

I could have Atomic
http://handleopenurl.com/scheme/atomic-web-browser

ZebraByNumbers
Oct 26, 2009

Is it better to have a dialog of browser choices for every link? Or to have a sub menu in settings where you pick out your preferred choice?

Does anyone here use more than one browser (with the exception of streaming audio in one and browsing in another)?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I was wondering if there was a way to hide the fringe browser menu because the common goon is probably just looking for safari if they don't want to use the in-app browser (which is coming back).

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

The Dave posted:

Yeah I was wondering if there was a way to hide the fringe browser menu because the common goon is probably just looking for safari if they don't want to use the in-app browser (which is coming back).

I would say it's fine as it is now (dev build), maybe with the addition of an option in settings to set the default handler from the available options (in-app/Chrome/Safari etc), that way people can set their preference and long-press for something outside their norm. I may be misunderstanding what you mean, but I wouldn't remove functionality from how it is now and revert to just in-app/Safari. Personally I far prefer using the in-app browser, and Chrome for the occasional outside link.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't that stuff only show up if the browser in question is installed?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Doesn't that stuff only show up if the browser in question is installed?

Yup, the app sniffs out which browsers are installed and populates the list based on that. Though Awful has a list of browsers it checks for, there's no magic way of detecting arbitrary browsers installed on the device.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Froist posted:

I would say it's fine as it is now (dev build), maybe with the addition of an option in settings to set the default handler from the available options (in-app/Chrome/Safari etc), that way people can set their preference and long-press for something outside their norm. I may be misunderstanding what you mean, but I wouldn't remove functionality from how it is now and revert to just in-app/Safari. Personally I far prefer using the in-app browser, and Chrome for the occasional outside link.

Oh I don't want to remove any functionality. I'm saying if there's going to be a menu of multiple browsers to make the long press say like "Copy Url - Open in Safari - Open in Other" and when you tap other it would open the list of all the other choices. I guess it doesn't really matter though because if you don't have them installed they won't show up?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Just installed this and it seems really slow. Compared to the old app at least. Loading takes quite a while.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
I'm pretty sure pokeyman's Awful app is the fastest I've used, even compared to the Android version.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

please respond posted:

Just installed this and it seems really slow. Compared to the old app at least. Loading takes quite a while.

I've been having issues with this, but only infrequently, and when it happens it's not limited to Awful. I'm using a mini, and I've been hearing rumours occasional poo poo wifi connections for no apparent reason.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

1997 posted:

I'm pretty sure pokeyman's Awful app is the fastest I've used, even compared to the Android version.

I have been thinking that page loading has been slowing down with the various versions.

It sometimes seems that it is less fast than it used to be. It's hard to pinpoint well enough to say if like to call it a bug report, though.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ursine Asylum posted:

I've been having issues with this, but only infrequently, and when it happens it's not limited to Awful. I'm using a mini, and I've been hearing rumours occasional poo poo wifi connections for no apparent reason.

Seconding this, my mini does this all the time.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I have heard recently that Awful App is slower at loading big threads, because of the amount of pages. Will there be a fix?

ZebraByNumbers
Oct 26, 2009

Froist posted:

Yup, the app sniffs out which browsers are installed and populates the list based on that.

Oh neat! I only have chrome on here. So the current solution totally works for me.

I'm a fan of long presses for more options.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

please respond posted:

I have heard recently that Awful App is slower at loading big threads, because of the amount of pages. Will there be a fix?

Where have you heard this? It's not something I've ever noticed, and it doesn't make any sense to me since it only loads one page at a time.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Are there any plans to implement PMs in the near future?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Diabolik900 posted:

Where have you heard this? It's not something I've ever noticed, and it doesn't make any sense to me since it only loads one page at a time.

In another thread where it was brought up. For instance a thread with 4000+ pages takes a good few seconds to load.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

please respond posted:

In another thread where it was brought up. For instance a thread with 4000+ pages takes a good few seconds to load.

The only duration issues I've ever seen were mini wifi issues, and definitely aren't related to the size of the thread. And I have quite a few megathreads in my bookmarks.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I don't understand how you guys are getting this to update - when I search for the app I see the application but nothing else. When I look in the App Store that last time it was updated was back in September and there's no update option.

I even re-installed - same problem.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

I don't understand how you guys are getting this to update - when I search for the app I see the application but nothing else. When I look in the App Store that last time it was updated was back in September and there's no update option.

Is this the app you're trying?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Tab8715 posted:

Is this the one you have?

https://itunes.apple.com/app/awful-unofficial-something/id567936609?mt=8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rekamso
Jan 22, 2008
The update works great on my mini but my 4S with iOS 6.0.1 is broken still:

- The forums tab loads a list of forums but upon clicking a forum, the threads are empty (sometimes this results in a crash),
- Clicking on bookmarks always results in an immediate crash.
- I can't logout. If I hit "Log Out" I get the prompt and upon tapping "Log Out", the login screen appears and the app crashes. Reopening the app shows me as still logged in.

I deleted the app and then reinstalled making sure I got the right one, then logged in and reproduced all the above issues again.

• Locked thread