Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I didn't know that he didn't actually direct it, but I loved that movie. In all seriousness though, the writing was the movie's strongest point, and the direction was passable at best. Louis C.K. wrote one of the funniest films ever made, and he should hold his head up high and be proud of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

I can't help but wonder what lucky bastard walked off the Last Action Hero set with that prop, or if the studio either retained or destroyed it.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

I can't believe I'm just finding this thread now. Anyway here are some of the worst ones to catch my eye in my movie poster folder (sorry if any of these are reposts):

Aligator Eyes

Death Threat (wait, what is this movie about?)

A Certain Sacrifice (lookin' good Madge!)

Assassin

Biker Zombies (aka "my first photoshop assignment")

Bootleggers (don't let your kids draw your posters part 1)

This one is labelled as 'Carnal Madness'

Dark Sunday (I don't care how big your gun is, I'm not afraid of anyone wearing that hat)

Dragon Lady (don't let your kids draw your posters part 2)

Salt in the Wound (if you think this one looks OK, check out the guy's arms and hands)

If anyone wants to see them I have many, many more.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How could you post Assassin in a Worst posters post?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Aphrodite posted:

How could you post Assassin in a Worst posters post?

Well the text is basically unreadable.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Huh, there's text.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
Why would a robot need a nasal cavity? Couldn't they just give him a little metal nose to hang the flesh nose on? Or just make it all smooth like a Ken doll's crotch?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

ShufflerZero posted:

If anyone wants to see them I have many, many more.

That would be a big yes.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Remember when Fred Savage was a thing? If you've never seen this movie, which I doubt many have.. it's bizarre.

This poster is awesome (Road House is awesome) because it tells you everything you can expect from the movie. Patrick Swayze is gonna beat poo poo up and most likely be shirtless, there's gonna be a bit of romance for the ladies and we're gonna finish out with action and explosions for the guys. No false advertisement.

All kinds of batshit crazy perspective bits going on here but the tiny man at the bottom is what sells it.

Loved this movie. Still have no idea why.

Judge Reinhold is gonna skateboard all over your poo poo.

Bonus points for having people named "Swoosie Kurtz" and "King Baggot" in the text at the bottom.

Apologies if any of these have been posted previously, I dont remember seeing them but this is a long thread.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 13, 2013

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I remember Little Monsters.

This poo poo gave me nightmares back in the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iBy_LinV4w

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Remember when Fred Savage was a thing? If you've never seen this movie, which I doubt many have.. it's bizarre.

That looks like Fred Savages head on another persons body or its a bad angle.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Loved this movie. Still have no idea why.

Because it's awesome?

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Is this a rip off of Big or Freaky Friday?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Because it's awesome?

Is this a rip off of Big or Freaky Friday?

More Freaky Friday because a son and father switch places instead of a mother and daughter... but a little bit of Big because a mystical artifact causes the switch.

Lets combine those things and throw in a gender swap:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Holy poo poo I forgot this existed. That is terrifying.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Mr. Carlisle posted:

More Freaky Friday because a son and father switch places instead of a mother and daughter... but a little bit of Big because a mystical artifact causes the switch.

Or as Netflix describes it:

quote:

Two heads may not be better than one when workaholic department-store executive Marshall (Judge Reinhold) and his son Charlie (Fred Savage) innocently touch an ancient skull -- and soon discover their bodies have switched.

I don't think there is any appropriate use of the phrase "innocently touch an ancient skull."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Lets combine those things and throw in a gender swap:

Speaking of gender swap movies:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Fred Savage is still around, its just he's become a more behind the scenes type of guy who does a lot of TV show directing.

Chicolini
Sep 22, 2007

I hate cold showers. They stimulate me and then I don't know what to do.
I envy you people that haven't heard of Vice Versa or Like Father Like Son.

Less of a tagline, and more of a... sentence.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Chicolini posted:

I envy you people that haven't heard of Vice Versa or Like Father Like Son.

Less of a tagline, and more of a... sentence.

Why is the suit too small for the son, and the jeans and shirt combo too big for the father? Even if Kirk Cameron is taller than Dudley Moore, it makes no sense from a thematic standpoint. The son should be wearing a baggy business suit, and the father should barely fit into his son's clothes.

Maybe I'm thinking too hard about this.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Little Monsters is an awesome movie and you should track it down if you haven't seen it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Fred Savage is still around, its just he's become a more behind the scenes type of guy who does a lot of TV show directing.

Also he played a rapist on SVU.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

hyperhazard posted:

Why is the suit too small for the son, and the jeans and shirt combo too big for the father? Even if Kirk Cameron is taller than Dudley Moore, it makes no sense from a thematic standpoint. The son should be wearing a baggy business suit, and the father should barely fit into his son's clothes.

No... something is definitely off. The Suit should be too big and the clothes should be too small. The whole thing is flip floped and reversed.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

hyperhazard posted:

CaptainHollywood posted:

No... something is definitely off. The Suit should be too big and the clothes should be too small. The whole thing is flip floped and reversed.

Dudley Moore is in the taller Kirk Cameron's body. He wants to wear his normal clothes. His normal clothes are too short for him.

Kirk is in the shorter Moore's body. He's a teen that wants to wear his normal clothes. They are now to baggy for him.

Right?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Some 80s posters did get kinda text-heavy. Apparently you were expected to stop and read them.

They didn't quite have the tagline down to... a science.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

muscles like this? posted:

And occasionally watches Danny DeVito enforce contract clauses :pervert:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Some 80s posters did get kinda text-heavy. Apparently you were expected to stop and read them.

They didn't quite have the tagline down to... a science.

It's like you're watching the film's trailer just by reading the poster. All you need to do is imagine that tag line paragraph being read by a wacky narrator, complete with dramatic pauses and record scratches.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Mustached5thGrader posted:

Dudley Moore is in the taller Kirk Cameron's body. He wants to wear his normal clothes. His normal clothes are too short for him.

Kirk is in the shorter Moore's body. He's a teen that wants to wear his normal clothes. They are now to baggy for him.

Right?

The only way the poster makes sense is if they switch actual heads and then wore clothes one size too small or large for each other.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

These both own pretty hard.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Look at Costner's stumpy little arm and crossed eyes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I-Mockery did a feature on foreign movie posters recently. A lot of great ones along with some awful ones.

This is my personal favourite.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

ShufflerZero posted:

Aligator Eyes

I would love to know what thought process led to that title.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I have a theory, and I don't know if there's any evidence of this aside from the movie itself, that "Little Monsters" started life as a straight horror movie. Then Fred Savage got cast, the studio realized he was popular with the kids, and it became the balls out insane, mood-whiplashy thing it is today.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

All while :smug: -in' it up in this piece.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

ShufflerZero posted:

Dragon Lady (don't let your kids draw your posters part 2)

I know in my heart that this isn't a kaiju movie where a giant topless woman battles a giant golden idol... but I really want to see that now.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

I-Mockery did a feature on foreign movie posters recently. A lot of great ones along with some awful ones.

This is my personal favourite.

Yeah I've seen that Jaws 2 one before, it's a terrific poster.

From that link:

This one is really cool I think.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

Look at Costner's stumpy little arm and crossed eyes.

His arm looks stumpy because they inflated his head. It should be about half the size of it is on the poster.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I wasn't a big fan of this when it was first posted here, but recently they've displayed it in my local theatre.

I have to it's a lot more impressive in person when it's given a backlight. It illuminates the florescent bulb in the picture in just the right way and gives the whole poster a lot more character and depth that would be missing if it were simply hung up on a wall or presented as a image on the internet.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Tomero_the_Great posted:

I wasn't a big fan of this when it was first posted here, but recently they've displayed it in my local theatre.

I have to it's a lot more impressive in person when it's given a backlight. It illuminates the florescent bulb in the picture in just the right way and gives the whole poster a lot more character and depth that would be missing if it were simply hung up on a wall or presented as a image on the internet.

Yeah, I have to agree. I just did our newest displays and it looks much better when backlit.
I thought about taking one for home too, but it probably wouldn't look as nice without proper lighting. I'll probably take it anyway, to add to the collection if nothing else.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Young Freud posted:

His arm looks stumpy because they inflated his head. It should be about half the size of it is on the poster.

I'm also positive some of the arm wonkiness comes from the fact that he's holding a revolver in the original poster. However, I think new poster guidelines say that you can't have guns pointing straight out at the viewer in the poster anymore.

I remember this sort of happening with Tomorrow Never Dies as well, where the original cover had Wai Lin pointing her gun right out at you:

Now they shopped a weird, other gun pointing off to the side:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

spanky the dolphin posted:

Yeah I've seen that Jaws 2 one before, it's a terrific poster.

From that link:

This one is really cool I think.

Kinda want this one on my wall.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I never realized before now, but Satoshi Kon's films have some really good posters.

Paprika

Tokyo Godfathers

Millennium Actress

And as a bonus, here are some fake movie posters from Millennium Actress:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
That list is sorely lacking in the Perfect Blue department. The first one isn't really a poster but it certainly caught my eye even when I had no idea what movie it was or who Satoshi Kons was. The second one is a french poster for Perfect Blue.

NSFW for tiny nipple-slip.
http://i.imgur.com/Sxqa7.jpg