Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McMyke
Mar 3, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey, hey guys I made an RPG using RPG maker

wanna play it?

36.3MB unpacked, about 2 hours long

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2719414/10minuteeffort(easytype).exe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The fact that you called it 10 Minute Effort and didn't post anything resembling a summary or even a single screenshot leads me to believe it's a joke game. Is it a joke game? I don't really feel like downloading a random file with almost no information.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Random exe posted in an internet forum with no context think I'll click this oh nooo

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
Since today is my birthday, I decided to take a chance and download this - even if it was a virus, I could still consider it a present! Good news, it's not a virus. The game itself is... well, a ten minute effort. Thus I also gave it only ten minutes of effort. It starts out weird, then gets generic, then I died to a spider in a psychadelic basement (probably because I didn't grind). I might give it a proper chance later, or I might go out and do birthday stuff.

McMyke
Mar 3, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Picture of the east path

The idea is to just run through it

you have 3 abilities that deal damage in this way
[(your STR - enemy DEF) * 10] + 30 1AP
[(your STR - enemy DEF) * 10] + 60 2AP
[(your STR - enemy DEF) * 10] + 90 3AP

so the gameplay is essentially figuring out what ability to use to minimize AP loss and to kill with efficiency.

Each dungeon has the basic equipment to beat it within and every enemy drops equipment and items at a 1/4 rate

It's basically an RPG maker game that isn't trying to be anything other than what it is

Also the pubs all give free beer.

McMyke fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 31, 2012

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
Can somebody advise me on what to do in Arcanum? So far my experience has been this:

- Miss a lot in combat and hit myself like an idiot

- Wander around the map trying to find the plot

- Wonder what some of these stats do

The enemies don't fare much much better. I ran into this one imp/goblin sorcerer after starting and he cast this vine stuff on me. A dog joined him and we spent the next couple minutes missing each other until he finally passed out. I chipped his health and killed the dog, ending that encounter. I'm at the town where my buddy, who calls me blind for missing all the time, says the place we need to go to is next to the bank. I must really be blind because I sure can't find the dude I'm looking for.

Somebody help me. :(

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Get harm if you're going magic, a pistol if you're going tech. The place is across the road from the bank, not next door. It's an inn.

Also combat can be a chore early on, it's not the game's strength.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Wow, Nocturne is an excellent game. Just kicked matador's rear end. I wasn't feeling strange journey or persona when I played them but I'm definitely having a lot of fun with this game.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Unchained Blades is out on the 3DS Shop today for those who have been waiting for it. There are impressions of the PSP version earlier in this thread.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Not sure why I'd scream at you, mostly I've tried the xenosagas and final fantasies and dragon quests and such, and was looking for maybe something not nearly as popular but still enjoyable. I'll give these a look.

Yeah the Shadow Hearts series is pretty good. Be forewarned though that the battle system gets better as the series goes one, but the story gets worse. SH2 probably ends up being the best because it's pretty good at both, but if gameplay doesn't do much for you in RPGs then you might want to skip SH3. It's got one of the best combat systems in an RPG, but aside from the villains almost none of the characters have any depth and some of the dungeons are pretty bad.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gyoru posted:

Unchained Blades is out on the 3DS Shop today for those who have been waiting for it. There are impressions of the PSP version earlier in this thread.

Are there any differences at all (aside from 3D) when compared to the PSP version?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Levantine posted:

Are there any differences at all (aside from 3D) when compared to the PSP version?

None at all aside from having the map on the bottom screen.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

dude789 posted:

Yeah the Shadow Hearts series is pretty good. Be forewarned though that the battle system gets better as the series goes one, but the story gets worse. SH2 probably ends up being the best because it's pretty good at both, but if gameplay doesn't do much for you in RPGs then you might want to skip SH3. It's got one of the best combat systems in an RPG, but aside from the villains almost none of the characters have any depth and some of the dungeons are pretty bad.

To say that the much more captivating and fun plot of Shadow Hearts 2 is inferior to the dull slog of the first game is just wrong as all heck.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I recently beat Crimson Shroud on the 3DS recently...it's an interesting game. Surprisingly short, though apparently it was just meant to be a short story, so I guess this makes sense. It's pretty tough in some areas, and I wish there was more to the melding system, but I enjoyed it. I got the bad ending, so I'm playing through NG+ right now - looks like there are a couple new areas and a whole new slew of equipment too, so that's pretty cool.

I wish there was a little more to the combat than just turn-based faire. At the very least, I wish that there was a turn order you could check, so that you could find out whose turn comes up when. Would make things a lot easier to follow.

Also, wish the camera would zoom out for combat. It just feel really claustrophobic when everyone is standing within a couple feet of each other.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Morpheus posted:

I recently beat Crimson Shroud on the 3DS recently...it's an interesting game. Surprisingly short, though apparently it was just meant to be a short story, so I guess this makes sense. It's pretty tough in some areas, and I wish there was more to the melding system, but I enjoyed it. I got the bad ending, so I'm playing through NG+ right now - looks like there are a couple new areas and a whole new slew of equipment too, so that's pretty cool.

I wish there was a little more to the combat than just turn-based faire. At the very least, I wish that there was a turn order you could check, so that you could find out whose turn comes up when. Would make things a lot easier to follow.

Also, wish the camera would zoom out for combat. It just feel really claustrophobic when everyone is standing within a couple feet of each other.

I really liked it too. It reminded me of Unlimited Saga in many ways, but with less obscure mechanics. The writing was absolutely stellar in Crimson Shroud as well. There are worse ways to spend 8 bucks especially on the 3DS.

Speaking on Unlimited Saga I gave it another go after watching Imbiggy's Youtube video tutorials. Basically 90 minutes of the "basics" later I was able to play the game properly. It's really pretty (battle sprites) the music is amazing and the story is pretty good to amazing at times. However, it just made me want to play Saga Frontier 2 which is probably my single favorite RPG of the PSX generation. I don't know what it is about the game but the presentation is just really engaging. The story is very dark compared to just about any game I've ever played without being a contrived grimdark mess. The story is such a slow burn but really becomes, for lack of a better word, epic. And the mechanics are a lot more transparent than recent Saga and Saga-esque releases.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I'm playing Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura and I think I'm stuck.

My character is a level 22 human female mage who sold her soul. I mostly focused on getting my Willpower and Intelligence to 20 so I don't have a wide array of spells. I have Harm, Heal, Disarm, Unlock, Summon Undead, and Conjure Spirit. I rely on Harm 99% of the time and it's worked well so far. I'm working towards Quench Life and after that I think I'm going to pump up my Constitution for the stamina or go for the time spells.

I'm at the point in the storyline where I have to go check out the Black Mountain Clan mines but I can't really get too far into it. First off, my character is solo. Virgil got killed by a Grizzly Bear on the way over, so I don't have any support. I took the Sold Your Soul background for the magic bonus and I've been kicking rear end for the most part on my own but the mines are just too much for me to keep myself going, even if I do fill my inventory with nothing but mana potions, there's just way too many critters to handle by myself and they wear me down. Are there any companions for evil characters? Sogg Mead-Mug and the dwarf outside P. Schuyler & Sons won't join me, not that it matters now since I'm probably way stronger than them anyways. Additionally, are there any other places I could go for side quests? I think I pretty much cleared Tarant/Durnholm/Blackroot.

This is my first time playing Arcanum and I'm doing it blind and accepting whatever happens along the way but I just don't know what to do right now.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Upmarket Mango posted:

I'm playing Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura and I think I'm stuck.

My character is a level 22 human female mage who sold her soul. I mostly focused on getting my Willpower and Intelligence to 20 so I don't have a wide array of spells. I have Harm, Heal, Disarm, Unlock, Summon Undead, and Conjure Spirit. I rely on Harm 99% of the time and it's worked well so far. I'm working towards Quench Life and after that I think I'm going to pump up my Constitution for the stamina or go for the time spells.

I'm at the point in the storyline where I have to go check out the Black Mountain Clan mines but I can't really get too far into it. First off, my character is solo. Virgil got killed by a Grizzly Bear on the way over, so I don't have any support. I took the Sold Your Soul background for the magic bonus and I've been kicking rear end for the most part on my own but the mines are just too much for me to keep myself going, even if I do fill my inventory with nothing but mana potions, there's just way too many critters to handle by myself and they wear me down. Are there any companions for evil characters? Sogg Mead-Mug and the dwarf outside P. Schuyler & Sons won't join me, not that it matters now since I'm probably way stronger than them anyways. Additionally, are there any other places I could go for side quests? I think I pretty much cleared Tarant/Durnholm/Blackroot.

This is my first time playing Arcanum and I'm doing it blind and accepting whatever happens along the way but I just don't know what to do right now.

Try Ashbury, the train goes there, but you might not be able to take it anymore, so you can walk there, it's on the far eastern coast of the map. There is a pretty strong Dog follower in Ashbury as well as more quests and other followers.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Alright, I'll be sure to check out Ashbury. On the topic of armor, being a pure mage, what should I be looking for? I'm currently wearing Charmed Leather Armor (I forget exactly what it does). Should I stick only to robes and clothes or is it ok to wear armor too? This game is really fun but it doesn't exactly explain anything.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

Sakurazuka posted:

What order should the Kingdom Hearts games be played in? Seems like half of them are either remakes of earlier games or prequels or set between the main games and don't follow any obvious naming convention.

KH1
RE:COM
KH2FM+
RE:CODED
300 somethin days
BBS
3D

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Wear the best armor that you have the strength to equip, there's no real gameplay reason to wear a robe as a mage, unless you like the looks or are hurting for encumbrance. Evil characters have it a bit harder in recruiting followers, especially early game. You can get Vollinger, an evil gnome gunslinger in Dernholm, to join you at your current level but he's a rather weak tech character who won't bring a lot of punch in the mines. I think the half orc in the museum in Tarant is neutral and will join you if you can convince the owner to release him, he's a pretty straight forward fighter type which is useful in the mines.

Level 22 should be high enough to take on the mines but I could see it being a problem if you don't have a decently specced character. For instance, taking Intelligence to 20 is kind of wasted on a mage (contrary to what you'd expect based on other RPG's) because it's more of a technologist attribute and only helps if you want to cast multiple sustained spells at a time, which is a very small benefit for the character point investment. As a mage, you want to be getting a lot of spells because it raises your magical aptitude which in turn is used in damage calculations. The time spells are great, and the Force school gives you the most cost effective damage spells besides Harm. It's probably a good idea to max those out for the killer endgame spells and increased magic aptitude.

If you need a place to level, I think you can access the closed off part of the Tarant sewers from a manhole in one of the buildings around the gypsy. Be careful because there's a lot of high level magical creatures in there, IIRC.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Thanks for all that great info, it's wonderful. I'll be sure to keep that in mind and branch out a bit more.

vvv summoned companions would be useful considering I'll seemingly have a hard time getting regular companions.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

If you have a high intelligence anyway, grab Summon Ogre (third spell in its school) and keep at least one of those around all the time. They're level 30 and don't care that you're evil.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Sooo. Golden Sun Dark Dawn is 11$ w/amazon prime.
Worth it? I have played the first two (haha) if that matters.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
click here to find out more
In Arcanum I always found the stun spell far, far more useful than Harm. Maybe I specced my character wrong but Harm only ever seemed to do mild to moderate damage whereas stun is extremely reliable, even golems fail their save against it most of the time.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I actually got the stun spell last night when I was playing and it is indeed very useful.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ChiTownEddie posted:

Gonna tell you nooooo unless you want probably the worst plot in that series by far, more endless cutscenes, and... really, go replay one of the first ones and see how it holds up to you. If you wanna do that all over again, but turbocharged? Dive in.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Gonna tell you nooooo unless you want probably the worst plot in that series by far, more endless cutscenes, and... really, go replay one of the first ones and see how it holds up to you. If you wanna do that all over again, but turbocharged? Dive in.

For 11 bucks you're getting 25+ hours of fun gameplay and a lovely story, so I say go for it. Really though, don't get attached to the story even if you actually like it. The ending is nothing but sequel bait and who knows when a new one is going to come out.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SpazmasterX posted:

For 11 bucks you're getting 25+ hours of fun gameplay and a lovely story, so I say go for it. Really though, don't get attached to the story even if you actually like it. The ending is nothing but sequel bait and who knows when a new one is going to come out.

Yeah it really is not a great game but for 11 bucks it's not a bad purchase. The story and dialog are just so dry and the conversations go on forever with almost nothing of substance said. The gameplay is still pretty good though as is the soundtrack. I miss the sprites though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Dark Dawn is probably up there with Fable 3 as far as my "games I completely regret purchasing" list.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

If story is important to you, Dark Dawn isn't worth your time. Awful, bland, and endless text.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ChiTownEddie posted:

Dark Dawn amplifies the original games; the good is better, the bad is worse.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Bongo Bill posted:

Dark Dawn amplifies the original games; the good is better, the bad is worse.

I disagree, I think it's worse than the originals in every way. I liked the originals but just put down Dark Dawn about a fifth of the way in because it was so annoyingly bad. (Seriously? Points of no return in a game where collecting stuff is essential to keeping your party strong?)

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Well interesting. I don't think I have enough nostalgia for Golden Sun to warrant the purchase based off this discussion. I'll just put the 11$ towards buying something else haha. Like the new Fire Emblem or something.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I have a question that's been hard to answer just by googling and I guess here is a good a place as any. I've been messing with PS1 emulation on my computer lately, and playing Star Ocean The Second Story. So far I like it, although the game is kind of crazy in the sense it's real easy once you get the hang of it, but one wrong move like leaving your healer open for just a second and you're dead. Anyway, my question is regarding the skill Good Eye which you can put points in. It says "The Ability To Choose Good Cooking Ingredients." with it's stat effect of "HP Restoration Amount Increases" Now, does that meant it increases the amount of HP restoration spells you cast, or the amount of HP Restoration amount effects on that character? I can't seem to find the answer, which is a little important, because I'd hate to avoid taking it on my melee guys if all along it would increase their healing received.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It probably just gives you a bonus to making better food.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

BlazinLow305 posted:

I have a question that's been hard to answer just by googling and I guess here is a good a place as any. I've been messing with PS1 emulation on my computer lately, and playing Star Ocean The Second Story. So far I like it, although the game is kind of crazy in the sense it's real easy once you get the hang of it, but one wrong move like leaving your healer open for just a second and you're dead. Anyway, my question is regarding the skill Good Eye which you can put points in. It says "The Ability To Choose Good Cooking Ingredients." with it's stat effect of "HP Restoration Amount Increases" Now, does that meant it increases the amount of HP restoration spells you cast, or the amount of HP Restoration amount effects on that character? I can't seem to find the answer, which is a little important, because I'd hate to avoid taking it on my melee guys if all along it would increase their healing received.

I can't really remember, but I think it would be quite simple to do a little test and find out for yourself if you didn't mind wasting the skill points. Or you could just reload your file after testing.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
If I remember correctly, it affects the person eating the food itself. So if you use some food to heal someone with that skill it'll heal more than what's listed by a bit. I don't recall it working for spells. I love Star Ocean 2-it's easily my favorite of the series-but some of those skills did get translated kinda badly in what they do.

Eventually you'll be swimming in skill points so they don't really go to waste, but at the start they are a bit thinner so it's nice to pick the priority stuff for your characters.

Also don't be afraid to play with the AI stuff-I like 'Conserve MP' for casters quite a bit; they're offensive without dumping every bit of their mana out ASAP. I think Rena even worked pretty well on a more conservative casting setup, though when I played on Galaxy/Universe I had her cranked up to max heals.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Ah, didn't even consider all that about it only affecting the food stuff. One more dumb question..I missed the first level of combat skills I could buy in the Port of Clik which is the first port early in the game that gets wiped out. Will the skill guy still be there among the survivors, and if not will this screw me over for the rest of the game? I could just go check, but don't have access my emulator right now. I just hope missing it the first time hasn't screwed me. For the record I'm right around the end of the Ashton sidequest, around level 25 average for my characters.

edit: Yeah, for my tactics I almost always use conserve mp and delete out all the useless spells. So far I've been working on decking Rena out, right now she has a item that increases her MP and another that 1/3s the cost of her spells and I keep her a level or two ahead of the rest of the party. Seems to work out pretty well, the AI seems good enough so she's always on the ball healing my party up when they need it, and letting her have all the good MP items she can heal forever and ever.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 16, 2013

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
Well you never will 'miss' skill books forever from stores. You'll always be able to buy them. It escapes my memory if the sales guys are still there; I think you might need to hit the next town for them(I want to say there was someone that sold something left. Gah, I'm looking at my PSP and copy of SO2 for it right now, and am getting tempted for a replay.) But in any case you'll be able to buy them. If anything I ended up finding the same stuff at some stores that I already got before and was more happy when I found new stuff.

Also a quick note: when equipping armor and accessories, make sure you double-check the weaknesses. I remember when I had a character with the Atlas Ring(an accessory you get much later), and wondered why they were taking shitloads of damage from elements(back on my very first playthrough before I really learned the ropes.) Turned out it was weak against *everything* and I didn't have anything on that counter-acted it, whoops.

And yeah, the healing AI in this game is surprisingly decent. With Rena decked out with good defensive and resistance gear and set up with the necessary healing spells she'd keep my group topped up pretty nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Bought a Vita, and someone recommended picking up Trails in the Sky. Never heard of it and it looks like any old JRPG except it has kind of a steep price point, should I just have faith and jump in?