Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Nyaa posted:

As for armor, I think it's not really broken since it's easy to die even with high armor along with other non-physical way to screw the meattank and the player did spend point to get higher body for the extra defense (dodging is better than soaking anyway) instead of more point on agil or str to shoot/hit things harder.

In "Funderwear" case, social dress code should come into place so someone might call the cops if they see someone dress like he's going to bomb a place.

And there are always called shots to the head, and other places that usually aren't covered by layers of armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Kenderama posted:

And there are always called shots to the head, and other places that usually aren't covered by layers of armor.

A called shot to avoid armor is almost always a sucker's bet compared with a called shot to increase damage.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Gobbeldygook posted:

A called shot to avoid armor is almost always a sucker's bet compared with a called shot to increase damage.

Assuming your DV beats the target's armor, called additional damage is statistically three times better per sacrificed die meaning you'd have to sacrifice thirteen or more dice to start benefiting from lost soak on called armor shots. If you can somehow get 33 dice in your pool it works out though since you can only roll 20 at a time, pretty sure edge would have to be involved no matter what to get that many die in a roll, but it isn't that hard to get more than 24.

Seems like the biggest benefit from called armor shots is to vehicles, and the occasional heavy milspec armor.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Super Rad posted:

Another question that comes to mind - if someone passes out due to stun damage - does healing the stun via First Aid cause them to suddenly come-to? Are there any penalties like from disorientation?

I allow the group to wake characters healed from stun, though they don't wakeup fully alert. Depending on the nature of the damage (extent of stun damage, whether a relevant glitch critical is present such as concussion), disorientation or persistent penalties is in the cards. Same goes for stim patching unconscious characters.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Nyaa posted:

As for armor, I think it's not really broken since it's easy to die even with high armor along with other non-physical way to screw the meattank and the player did spend point to get higher body for the extra defense (dodging is better than soaking anyway) instead of more point on agil or str to shoot/hit things harder.

In "Funderwear" case, social dress code should come into place so someone might call the cops if they see someone dress like he's going to bomb a place.

I tried that with my one of players once, she gave me a look and pointed out the part of the rules that said FFBA was effectively undetectable. I told her the 'runner-by-night stripper her character was currently getting a lap dance from knows the difference between an erection and armoured jockstrap.

It doesn't help that they'll wear that poo poo everywhere. Out for a morning jog? Slip on the catsuit. Gotta get some soymilk from the Stuffer Shack down the street? Can't forget the armoured jacket. Although to be fair I started my players out with the On The Run mission so they're entirely justified in that latter line of thought.

Tias
May 25, 2008

You will eventually get shot at in the sixth world, if for no other reason than that you just took someones parking space ;)

So, I just bought the brand new SR4A options product Way of the Samurai (19-page pdf), and here are my thoughts after skimming it:

It's mostly fiction and fluff, new positive qualities (in a new "tech-tree" style where you have to have prerequisite abilities, attribues and/or augmentations to take each one) a handful of cybersuites (probably the nicest crunch addition, I really like the gunfighter and heavy artillery platform ones!), a couple of augmentations (literally :/ ) and the last pages are made up of suggestions for a samurai build for each of the metatypes.

To be honest, I'd hoped for a lot more, rules-wise. It'd be an obvious opportunity to add some weapons and gear, and more than just a couple of bits of new cyberware.. Solid fluff and gear for the money otherwise, can one spare the 5 bucks I guess you get your money's worth.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Tias posted:

To be honest, I'd hoped for a lot more, rules-wise. It'd be an obvious opportunity to add some weapons and gear, and more than just a couple of bits of new cyberware.. Solid fluff and gear for the money otherwise, can one spare the 5 bucks I guess you get your money's worth.
The PDF-only supplements aren't regarded as canon by Catalyst, meaning you aren't allowed to use the material in Missions campaigns. None of them are edited or playtested. They're just written and tossed out into the world with the writer getting like $100 or something for it. It's no different from just stuff some guy on Dumpshock wrote.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Never did play missions.. And yeah, I know the "options" line isn't drek-hot, but considering how cheap it is, I think the fiction, qualities and cyberware suites are worth the 5bux.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Why are they still releasing crunch books when a new edition is coming out in 6 months?

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Bigass Moth posted:

Why are they still releasing crunch books when a new edition is coming out in 6 months?

Presumably the rule tweaks aren't going to be too drastic meaning 4E resources can still be used with little to no conversion needed. At least this is what I'm hoping for.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Super Rad posted:

Outside of "passive" checks like writing software - do Hackers ever actually use Logic? It's just (Related Computer Skill) + (Related Software Level) for everything that's "on-the-fly".

It seems like Logic is pretty important for riggers to be able to modify their equipment quickly and maybe to write their own autosofts. Obviously it's also important for hermetic mages to resist drain, but when will a hacker realistically use Logic? Seems like a pretty big oversight but someone with logic 1 and a souped up commlink is going to hack better than someone with maxed logic but lovely software.

So I found out the answer to this question in case anyone was curious.

The answer is in the RAW, hacking does indeed never refer to Logic which is incredibly stupid - however the good folks at Catalyst did realize this and included optional rules in Unwired and the 20th Anniversary edition. The optional rules give you two ways to incorporate logic.

1) Continue to roll Skill + Software, but limit the max hits to Logic (i.e. anyone can be a script kiddie, but only a talented hacker can make quick work of a node)

2) Switch to rolling Logic + Skill, and limit the hits to the software rating (i.e. hacking takes smarts but you're limited by your comlink/programs)

Not sure which of the two I like better, I'd actually really like to hear some opinions on this - both definitely have some "real world" explanations that can go along with them.

#1 is closest to the RAW and rules out Logic 1 hackers, but at the very beginning of the game it still doesn't differentiate between smart hackers and script kiddies (if you're only rolling 9-11 dice, what are the chances of being limited by your logic being 4 as opposed to 7)

#2 brings Logic front and center when it comes to hacking, but again at the very end game you'll be rolling maybe 17 dice and thus being limited to 6 total hits isn't that much of a deal breaker and it makes it less appealing for the hacker to track down programs of rating 7 or higher.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Super Rad posted:

Not sure which of the two I like better, I'd actually really like to hear some opinions on this -
I like #2, it gives gm better control of the hacker's capability through availability. Logic is too easy to boost so #1 is better for game that want to have hits goes above 10 by end game.

Looking at Damien Knight's stat (CEO of Ares) in Street Legend Supplemental as end game example, his log is 9 with program in 10, so if I were to pit a end-game hacker player against him, it probably would be more evenly matched with rule #2. New player with maxed LOG won't be able to challenge him right out of creation because they will have much lower chance to win against him due to hit cap difference, not so for #1.

Another question arise from this is, what's the hit cap for Agent that do the hacking instead? Hit cap it with Agent rating?

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 15, 2013

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Nyaa posted:

Another question arise from this is, what's the hit cap for Agent that do the hacking instead? Hit cap it with Agent rating?

I think that definitely makes sense, the pilot rating should sub for all stats - no way pilot programs should have an edge over real hackers.

But that makes me realize you'd also have to start factoring the device/system ratings when doing hacking on the fly because if the node you are hacking can access all of its dice then it has a decided advantage (when hacking on the fly can be a 50/50 shot in the first place).

In fact this is probably why this isn't in the RAW in the first place, the matrix rules are already a bit of a mess (if not as bad as many people seem to think) - having to remember to cap all of these dice rolls (which is only going to make matrix actions take more turns to resolve, mind you) is just adding another layer that mainly serves to punish anyone who would be min-maxy enough to try and spec a logic 1 hacker, otherwise it gimps good hackers and good nodes relatively equally which then begs the question of why put it into place at all?

Basically I guess a GM should reject any character sheet that has a 6 in Hacking and a Comlink with max starting response but low Logic.

Wait this is shadowrun, I know what the answer is - rolling more dice!

Obviously hacking should be done with Logic + Skill + Program with opposed tests by a node being done with either System x 2 + Analyze or Response + System + Analyze. Maybe double the targets to prevent hacking from being too one-shotty, now it takes longer and requires rolling two fistfuls of dice - sounds like SR right??

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

quote:

Obviously hacking should be done with Logic + Skill + Program
I always just assume the reason creator didn't use Log is to balance the cheap to get program that easily provide you 4-6 dice for relatively nothing in nuyen. Is like buying a sword that give you 6 dice in melee...

Anyway, hacking not really my field beside knowing the basic, so no comment on the rest.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Nyaa posted:

I always just assume the reason creator didn't use Log is to balance the cheap to get program that easily provide you 4-6 dice for relatively nothing in nuyen. Is like buying a sword that give you 6 dice in melee...

Anyway, hacking not really my field beside knowing the basic, so no comment on the rest.

Yeah I was definitely joking, even though it's not a terrible idea since all opposed tests get a similar boost.

You actually gave ma a better idea with your comparison to melee/combat though. It should be Logic + Skill + weighted program modifier were the program modifier never really gets above +3 (maybe it's program rating divided by 3 rounded down).

That sets the tone that a good hacker doesn't need any fancy programs but fancy programs give a very real edge.

It adds just a teensy bit of work to figure out the dice pool but nothing extra after that, no need to cap rolls or beef up targets, and most importantly, low-logic hackers suck.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
So... anyone out there interested in running a PbP? And barring that - would there be any interest if I ran one? In either case I absolutely promise not to back out or disappear (although you have to keep in mind I've played as a PC in maybe 5 games tops and have GMed exactly one session of SR4a).

Seems like SA pbps for Shadowrun don't fare too well but, you know, this one will be different!

Also if anyone has a link to a good PbP out there - might help me get some good mojo flowing.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I don't have any links to a good PbP but the /tg/ forum on 4chan has an archive call sup/tg/. Go there and do a search for Shadowrun and read a bit. Some of them are actually pretty interesting and entertaining.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Super Rad posted:

So... anyone out there interested in running a PbP? And barring that - would there be any interest if I ran one? In either case I absolutely promise not to back out or disappear (although you have to keep in mind I've played as a PC in maybe 5 games tops and have GMed exactly one session of SR4a).

Seems like SA pbps for Shadowrun don't fare too well but, you know, this one will be different!

Also if anyone has a link to a good PbP out there - might help me get some good mojo flowing.

I'm up for it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Super Rad posted:

I have been trying to get someone to run a pbp game for a while so definietly do this.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
So if you have a group of players who know the system pretty well and how to game the system (Agi 3 dude with an Agi 9 Cyberarm, that sort of stupid poo poo), how do you actually manage to challenge them? Like, the technomancer I play in our game can routinely have sprites hacking for 24+ dice on each roll. So getting into any system is a cakewalk.

And like, I've seen some the characters people on here make for PbP games or home games, who are just total power houses of near invincibility, and I'm wondering if your home group is totally made up of characters like that, how do you actually manage to come up against stuff that challenges you without just outright slaughtering you? People that make every street samurai doing 30+ dice on each attack four times a round, if you were to go up against someone built the same way, wouldn't you die, too?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Super Rad posted:

I'd play the gently caress out of one (I have, twice, but they die within a week). Just make sure you're into the story as well and be real patient :)

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Super Rad posted:

I'd also be interested in it. I've been playing SR since 1st edition, but I've never really gotten into the whole powergaming aspect of it. I've always preferred fun characters to things that can rip apart stars.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Swags posted:

So if you have a group of players who know the system pretty well and how to game the system (Agi 3 dude with an Agi 9 Cyberarm, that sort of stupid poo poo), how do you actually manage to challenge them? Like, the technomancer I play in our game can routinely have sprites hacking for 24+ dice on each roll. So getting into any system is a cakewalk.

And like, I've seen some the characters people on here make for PbP games or home games, who are just total power houses of near invincibility, and I'm wondering if your home group is totally made up of characters like that, how do you actually manage to come up against stuff that challenges you without just outright slaughtering you? People that make every street samurai doing 30+ dice on each attack four times a round, if you were to go up against someone built the same way, wouldn't you die, too?
Simple: GM fiat and an agreement to let sanity come before written rules to keep things from being silly. No-one really wants to cross the gozilla threshold.

For instance, the whole agile cyberarm thing is routinely ruled as having pretty much zero effect unless the action you're taking only and exclusively uses that arm. Fine motor skills when you can plant the forearm on a table and manipulate a pair of tweezers with just your hand and wrist to defuse Ze Booomb, for instance. In a gunfight? Forget it — a good hold and a consistent trigger squeeze only counts for so much, and if the rest of your body has to be in synch to get the shot off. Likewise, I've had players try to argue that they can use their bajillion-strength arms to do impossible lifts, at which point I point out that their strength-2 knees (complete with a M-level shot wound) will buckle and they'll end up with their heads wedged under that heavy object…

The whole idea of avoiding an escalating arms race also tends to work after the first time they've actually experienced it. Anything the players can do, the GM can do tenfold. Get them hooked on subtlety and stealth instead, because they know that their übermages and cybermonsters will only ever manage to do one thing: they'll attract the attention of nearby patrol aircraft with laser-guided anti-tank bombs. There was this line in the old Lone Star supplement that described how the entity that everyone thought of as “just the cops” had little to no hesitation in escalating FRTs and SWAT to use assault cannons and gyro-mounted miniguns while wearing milspec armour, should the report indicate that they're up against heavily armed shadowrunners. Reading that at the start of every down session when they did their shopping for toys tended to keep everyone focused on keeping the heavy stuff hidden. The same goes for pretty much everything. If the team has a technomancer that rolls 24 dice, then the megacorp will have 40 of them. With a home field advantage (ooh, +[lots] dice). It gets tiresome quickly and just ends up with everyone dead.

It's also worth nothing that this arms race does not have to — and will not — be symmetrical. No, they didn't call in the physad trolls with weapon-focus poleaxes against your physad to have a good fight… they used them against your technomancer. Squish. The physad? Oh, some unrelated computer glitch now means he's homeless, penniless, and suffering from, as far as anyone with normal testing equipment can tell, acute pneumonia. All those credsticks he had hidden away because you can't trust banks? Stolen by some hobo, I'm afraid… by pure coincidence the same hobo that shivved the mage while he was having a hot-dog, and gave him anthrax.

…and speaking of shopping for toys, there's always the simple solution of burying them in red tape and rules-lawyering bureaucracy. Where did they get that fancy piece of kit anyway? Did they make it themselves? How long did it take? Is it even ready yet? Have they paid off the contracts used properly? Does that price include street index? Did they bug sweep it? Oh yes, I know that Ares were kind enough to donate that Rating-20 thingamabob as a thank you for the last job done… did you manage to find and disable the Rating-30 remote recording and shut-down device they make sure to implant in all those items? Oh ok… it's all kosher, but you realise‚ of course, that no-one else on the streets have it so now it's pretty much a signature piece of theirs and thus a blaring siren that points to who did it. This doesn't mean that the PCs can't have fancy stuff — it just means that hey have to be very picky about when they employ them, or those laser-guided bombs will start popping out of the woodwork again. This is basically just GM fiat by proxy — the rules already heavily restrict the more outlandish things players would want to get a hold of, so use those rules as well.

Of course, there's always the more basic form: just say no, because it would be silly and boring.

In short, make them accept a different challenge than just brute force, because that kind of adversarial tone to a campaign will only ever end in “rocks fall, everyone dies”, which is deeply unsatisfying for everyone involved.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I would certainly be up for a PbP. Especially if I could actually attempt a free spirit, though that would be difficult to build something that won't fall to a stiff breeze.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I'd do play by post. I won't be available until 1 February though, I'm at the shithole known as Fort Polk, LA until then.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Tippis posted:

It's also worth nothing that this arms race does not have to — and will not — be symmetrical. No, they didn't call in the physad trolls with weapon-focus poleaxes against your physad to have a good fight… they used them against your technomancer. Squish. The physad? Oh, some unrelated computer glitch now means he's homeless, penniless, and suffering from, as far as anyone with normal testing equipment can tell, acute pneumonia. All those credsticks he had hidden away because you can't trust banks? Stolen by some hobo, I'm afraid… by pure coincidence the same hobo that shivved the mage while he was having a hot-dog, and gave him anthrax.

…and speaking of shopping for toys, there's always the simple solution of burying them in red tape and rules-lawyering bureaucracy. Where did they get that fancy piece of kit anyway? Did they make it themselves? How long did it take? Is it even ready yet? Have they paid off the contracts used properly? Does that price include street index? Did they bug sweep it? Oh yes, I know that Ares were kind enough to donate that Rating-20 thingamabob as a thank you for the last job done… did you manage to find and disable the Rating-30 remote recording and shut-down device they make sure to implant in all those items? Oh ok… it's all kosher, but you realise‚ of course, that no-one else on the streets have it so now it's pretty much a signature piece of theirs and thus a blaring siren that points to who did it. This doesn't mean that the PCs can't have fancy stuff — it just means that hey have to be very picky about when they employ them, or those laser-guided bombs will start popping out of the woodwork again. This is basically just GM fiat by proxy — the rules already heavily restrict the more outlandish things players would want to get a hold of, so use those rules as well.

This is the worst advice. Like, this is grognards.txt level bad. Don't do this.

quote:

Of course, there's always the more basic form: just say no, because it would be silly and boring.

In short, make them accept a different challenge than just brute force, because that kind of adversarial tone to a campaign will only ever end in “rocks fall, everyone dies”, which is deeply unsatisfying for everyone involved.

Do this instead. This is what grownups do.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Ok, thank you to all who are showing interest, recruitment thread here! And associated post entered into the general recruitment thread.

Martello posted:

I'd do play by post. I won't be available until 1 February though, I'm at the shithole known as Fort Polk, LA until then.

Any chance you could have a character in prior to that? I'll push the recruitment window up a few days either way (initially set to 1/29 so it's not a big deal at all), but I'd like to have as much ready as possible to make sure those who draw up their chars early don't lose interest.

E: Pushed recruitment back to 2/2 to give everyone a chance.

Super Rad fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 22, 2013

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I posted in the other thread, thanks for pushing the deadline back.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Tippis posted:

Some adversarial DMing

This really shouldn't be the solution. I've had to talk down my group's Adept Hacker when he started rolling fistful of dice to do... well, anything hacking related(the Unwired rules for creating admin accounts seemed ridiculously easy). The group's pretty much assumed that he can do anything computer related, so I challenge him by pushing him out of his comfort zone. He's a methodical player with an overspecialized character who takes waaaaay too much time thinking things through, so making him quickly come up with plans unrelated to hacking has helped challenge him more than putting him up against an enemy hacker who throws fistful of dice.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Doodmons posted:

This is the worst advice. Like, this is grognards.txt level bad. Don't do this.

Do this instead. This is what grownups do.
The thing is, I've noticed that sometimes even grownups aren't as grown-up as you'd want and they simply don't get why the whole adversarial style sucks — practical illustrations is pretty much the only way to go with them. Hopefully, you only need to do it once and then you can go on to the more reasoned style of GMing.

Either way, it's good to realise what's actually at your disposal, if nothing else so you can describe where it will end up if the players persist in wanting to push the envelope. If they're reasonable, they'll get that it would be as boring for them as it is to you; if not, run with it and simply show them.

I fully agree that you shouldn't have to, but that big hammer is there and everyone should be aware of its existence and what horrible horrible damage it'll do to the game.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
I'm gonna say this, and most people aren't going to agree with me I can imagine, but I've found it works. When it comes to players that know how to game the system and power their characters, sometimes it's a good idea to just let them win. Over and over and over. No challenge, no complication. Then, when they get bored of an empty victory every session(it will happen pretty fast for most), present them with the retirement option and let them make a character that isn't downright broken.

I tend to have a few blanket rules when it comes to my games, for various reasons. No Infected, no non-metahuman sapients, and if your character relies on an optional rule the answer is probably no, even if I'm using the rule. I tend to look for characters that rely on some individual gimmick or another or roll more than a certain threshold of dice on specific tests(usually more than 12 is a red flag).

Generally though, you can avoid all of these problems by sitting down with your players and discussing what exactly it is everyone wants from the game. The guy who wants a troll that rolls 42 dice for a damage resist test, or indeed anyone whose desires concerning the game as a whole are focused solely on their character are probably not going to be a solid fit for most games. Another good thing to do is do character generation as a group. No only does this help new players, but if you hold the old hands back and make them go through the process step by step you can keep an eye out for red flags and maybe even nip them in the bud before they get in the way of play.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

I really like that method, and now I'm regretting not doing that with the rest of my group. I realized it back when I got my girlfriend into Shadowrun that it was a lot more fun to make characters together, playing off one another and bouncing ideas back and forth. It made me understand that our games were becoming less of a social hobby and more of an obligation to one another to continue gaming. I think I'll talk to them later on and see what they think about trying something new.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

New blog post about 5e dice pool

- Core mechanic of the game will mostly be the same as 4e, skill is still linked to attribute except more often and especially in matrix actions.

- High skill player should have more dice pool than low skill player, the change to do this are:
-- Skill cap become 12 (karma cost is the same, so bloody expensive)
-- Gear now have a 'limit' in contributing to your dice pool, concept will be similiar to force of the spell, which is When you choose the Force of a spell, you are limiting the number of hits you can count from your Spellcasting Test.
--- Weapons now have Accuracy stat, which is one of those 'limit'

quote:

This represents the limit imposed by that weapon, that is, the number of hits you can count when you roll your test. Got a sweet sniper rifle that can shoot the wings off a fly from a kilometer away? That’ll have a high Accuracy, and you’ll be able to use a whole bunch of hits from your dice pool when you make an attack with it. If, on the other hand, you’re stuck with a broken-down pistol with a cracked barrel, well, you could be one of the world’s great marksmen, but you’re still going to have trouble hitting the side of a barn with that thing. Then again, maybe you’re not built with a high skill in pistol, and a cheap, low Accuracy gun is just about right for what you roll.
Yep, sniper finally are useful.

-Limits and Edge interact in some unspecified way (detail in next article)

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Ooh and this was posted in the comments:

quote:

(In regards to hacking) It will be Attribute and Skill limited by cyberdeck (yes, cyberdeck) attributes. Programs will add some functionality and provide other bonuses.

The decks are back.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Aww man, I never played the previous edition so I have no idea how cyberdeck works.

quote:

The decks are back.
It's been back in the 2050 book.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Wow, getting though this thread took so long they announced a new edition before I'd finished. :haw:
All that talk about grittier and more lethal+new chargen makes me think they're going to crib Twilight 2000's chargen, so you can have the joy of dying and/or being irradiated before the game starts.

I'm coming back to SR after some bad crap in RL. Not sure I want to go back to my tabletop group yet, though we parted on good terms. I'd probably be up for something online to ease back into the game.

I was (I like to think) a decent hacker/medic, but I could definitely use some advice, especially re: getting into rigging, and more aggressive, tactical hacking before I head back my group.
I'll post my character when I'm not on a smartphone, but I think my priority is to buy off the BiPolar disadvantage because that is an cruel evil curse.

Also, I'm trying to figure out why he's running? Why almost get eaten by vampires when you have the desk job/warez skill set?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
That bad, huh? :blush:

I came up with a freaky Logic build (like...9 or 10 at start, up to 15ish at max, and more to related skils, of course) a while back, and although I have no idea how I'd play someone whose spine was probably smarter than me, I think I had an idea for motivation for running; build up a large enough cash reserve to serve as seed money for playing the stock market, and then make some real money.
And then I read about the Arcana (aka, Logic) based Divining metamagic...:psypop:

I'm kinda drawing a blank on motivations; why do you run?

Any good sources for adventures in China; at least "Reunite China" or "Be Emperor" makes for obvious, if rather impossible, motivations.

I wish there were some Shadowrun merchandise I could pick up; all my old cups and bags are ratty and need replacing.

Let's see, if I'm reading my grimy sheet correctly, this was my character
pre:
Human
Free Karma: 35
Cash ¥49468
Lifestyle Custom Medium
Monthly payments on Programming Environment (mostly unused so far, unfortunately)

BOD 3
AGI 3
REA 3
STR 3
CHA 3
INT 4
LOG 5
WIL 5
EDG 2

Essence 4.275

Active Skills
Athletics Group 1
Biotech Group 1
Electronics Group 4
Influence Group 1
Mechanic Group 1
Stealth Group 1
Pilot Groundcraft 1
EW 2
Hacking (Exploit) 4
Perception 1
Automatics (Submachineguns) 1
Climbing 1
Cybercombat 1

Knowledge Skills
English N
Programming 6
Software Developers 4
High Society 4
Seattle Area 4
Political Science 2
Computer Sec 2
Simsense Entertainment 1
Latin 1

Qualities
Mild Addict Betel
Mild Addict Psyche
Mild Media Junkie
Bipolar
Analytical Mind
BioCompatible (Cyberware)
Code Of Conduct (Bushido)

Weapon
Ares Executive Protector
Armor
Synergist Long Coat and Half Form Fitting Body Armor

Augmentations
Sleep Regulator
Chloroplast Skin
Encephalon II
Attention CoProcessor III
Math SPU
Nanohive II
Limbic III
Neocortical III
Nano Biomonitor

Comlink+Programs
Customized Hermes Ikon (RES 6 SYS 6 SIG 3 FIR 6), Sat Uplink, Trodes, etc. I think it was optimized for Stealth and had a customized interface.
Iris Antivirus
Analyze 6
Browse 6
Command 6
Edit 6
Encrypt 6
Scan 6
Biofeedback 6
Decrypt 1
Defuse 1
ECCM 3
Exploit 6
Sniffer 3
Spoof 6
Stealth 6
Track 3
Armor 3
Attack 1
Medic 1
Black Hammer 1
Blackout 1
Programming Suit 5

Tacsoft 2

Drones
2 Repeater Drones
Microtapper Drone

Gear
Psyche
Betel
G3
Overdrive
Trance
Oracle Reality Amp
Focus Reality Amp
Tag Eraser
Non Linear Junction Detector 6
Glasses IV (Thermo, Vision Enhance III, Vision Mag)
Earbuds III (Audo Enhance III, Select Sound III, Spatial Recognizer)
Area Jammer 10
Skinweb Array
Optical Tap
20m Fiberoptic Cable
Laser Link 6
Gas Mask
Savior Medkit
3 Latex Face Mask

Contacts (L/C)
Jeeves the Fixer 3/4
Mentat the Hacker 3/2
Gadget the Drone Dealer 3/2
Doctor Tron for Cyberware and Medical Supplies 3/2
Kind of a coward. He does fairly well on prep work, looking up the site, finding intel, that kind of thing, but tends to freeze up or panic in danger; although on a couple of occasions he's done, uh, brave things of perhaps questionable wisdom, like running through gas clouds to try and drag teammates to safety. The tac net helps, and Root is usually the communications and coordination hub (while hiding behind the armored troll). He's also the team medic, something that's been necessary on multiple occasions.
I need to pick up more in the way of drones, both for scouting and offense; Eyeballs and blimps, mainly. Maybe a jammer. My prior character, Root the Technomancer, made a fairly memorable kill with a couple Dragonflies packed with C4. Then again, the same dude decapitated someone to get at their comlink.
I need to get more aggressive with hacking enemies, and presumably defending teammates from same when it becomes part of the game. In hacking for the mission objective, I'm sure the GM is making things simplified, but I do okay and need to dither less; more drugs would probably help.
The Tacsoft is useful, but I find the rules for it to be kinda confusing; I'm never sure what bonus I get for how many people/drones being on.

I'm not actually bummed out about missing fights per say, but I would like to be pulling some more weight.

What am I missing? What should I be looking at? More software, more drones, more augments, more gear? What can he do now that I've probably overlooked?

And...I don't really have much of a backstory or motivation for my character; half of that is being sloppy, and half of that is me usually sometimes figuring out a character's motivation and history after playing them for a while.
The only thing that really springs to mind is some kind of vaguely anti-corporate agenda, probably with at least a dash of eco-activism. Who knows, if I do get the chance to start again, maybe he'll come back all tan darker green from a hiatus in Amazonia.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Rockopolis posted:

That bad, huh? :blush:

Hey, give people time! This isn't always the fastest moving thread!

Also, to help you...uh...well, I know nothing about hacking so hopefully someone else will come along!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Rockopolis posted:

What am I missing? What should I be looking at? More software, more drones, more augments, more gear? What can he do now that I've probably overlooked?

You bought a bunch of skill groups that aren't really worth it. You aren't going to be performing surgery or installing cyberware, so drop Biotech and just take First Aid at most. You're not going to be building planes or boats, so you can drop Mechanic and just take automotive/industrial mechanics as needed. You don't need the Stealth skill - you only have 5 dice on the disguise skill, and you're probably not going to be palming anything either. Climbing is part of the athletics skill, so you don't need to buy that separately.

Chloroplast skin doesn't do anything worth getting unless you want it for RP purposes, same for Nano Biomonitor. A nanohive 2 is costs 1 essence. You know what else costs 1 essence? A full cyberarm, and you can stick a nanohive 2 in it and still have enough to get cram in a bunch of stat boosts for that arm. You only have 1 IP, meaning you are worthless forever in combat. Get addicted to Cram or Jazz, or get Wired Reflexes. Get a bunch of your common use programs Ergonomic, so they won't take up space on your link when loaded and so you can get twice as many programs loaded without losing capability. Getting 1 rank of restricted gear and picking up Supathyroid Gland could be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Piell posted:

You bought a bunch of skill groups that aren't really worth it. You aren't going to be performing surgery or installing cyberware, so drop Biotech and just take First Aid at most. You're not going to be building planes or boats, so you can drop Mechanic and just take automotive/industrial mechanics as needed. You don't need the Stealth skill - you only have 5 dice on the disguise skill, and you're probably not going to be palming anything either. Climbing is part of the athletics skill, so you don't need to buy that separately.

Chloroplast skin doesn't do anything worth getting unless you want it for RP purposes, same for Nano Biomonitor. A nanohive 2 is costs 1 essence. You know what else costs 1 essence? A full cyberarm, and you can stick a nanohive 2 in it and still have enough to get cram in a bunch of stat boosts for that arm. You only have 1 IP, meaning you are worthless forever in combat. Get addicted to Cram or Jazz, or get Wired Reflexes. Get a bunch of your common use programs Ergonomic, so they won't take up space on your link when loaded and so you can get twice as many programs loaded without losing capability. Getting 1 rank of restricted gear and picking up Supathyroid Gland could be nice.

Thanks for the tips.
I'm past the "Oops I Built my Character Wrong" grace period, but I'll be saving up for the ST Gland and the programs, I guess. Or I could get around to writing them. Heh, donating Open Source versions would probably make Meant at the Hacker Contact happy.

Chloroplast skin is one of those mechanically useless augments that I would totally want in real life, like the Sleep Regulator.

The Gland actually makes me think I should pump more points in Infiltration and grab a Chameleon suit to hide better…would Athletics group be good for doing parkour infiltrations? I'm not sure what the climbing is for, might have been a transcription error.
He can already pick a lock and be though a door faster than a troll with a chainsaw, we tested that already.

Martial arts aren't really great for combat, so no studying at a Shaolin monastery during downtime. Hah, I'm trying to picture a second Boxer Rebellion in SR.

Can I be a combat rigger in AR? It doesn't seem like a good idea foe me to pass out in the middle of a fight, although getting some kind of Master-Blaster set up with the troll would be entertaining.
Alternatively, can I direct drones while I'm busy hacking whatever mainframe?

• Locked thread