Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I received a copy of Usagi Yojimbo Vol. 4 last week; the advertised cover can be seen here but when my copy arrived it had this cover instead:

I can't complain about the content, and I don't really have any issue with the cover looking different, but both versions are published by Fantagraphics as far as I can tell. Are they part of two separate print runs or something?

Actually, one thing that I am quite disappointed about is that I would need a small fortune to get any of the books in this series past volume 11. That's just the way it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know the details of Yojimbo but apparently Fantagraphics has the rights to the first 7 volumes and color specials while Dark Horse does everything else. I wish it would get sorted out but until then Book 11 and Yokai (which came out only 3 years ago, goodness) will cost you an arm and a leg so scoop up everything else while it's still commonly available.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's certainly frustrating. I was going to say that I'd have expected Dark Horse to reprint more extensively than Fantagraphics since it's a slightly larger company, but I suppose the Star Wars license is pretty much what's keeping it afloat at the moment, and I kinda doubt Usagi Yojimbo would be a cash-cow for them (which is a real pity).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Actually, one thing that I am quite disappointed about is that I would need a small fortune to get any of the books in this series past volume 11. That's just the way it goes.

I bought all of the series a couple of years ago right before the price shot up on all of them to astronomical.

For what it's worth volume 11 is one of the more skippable of the series. It's worth reading, of course, but you can jump right onto Grasscutter, one of the best storylines in the series, without missing much.

My understanding is that Usagi is a bit of an evergreen for Dark Horse so I'm sure it'll be reprinted; it's just that it's such a huge series that the reprint schedule takes forever.

I am pretty sick of underprinted volumes skyrocketing in price. It's become absolutely absurd and somewhat random what will cost you an arm and a leg and what you can pick up cheap...

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Dear lord. I actually think I have two copies of Seasons for some reason. That's some utterly baffling mark-up nonsense.

[edit] It actually looks like it sells for $20-30 on eBay with some regularity.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
http://www.tcj.com/this-these-past-weeks-in-comics-1213-all-of-you-remain-trapped-here-with-me/#comment-127149

Don't know what's going on with the Moebius catalogue in North America but it sounds stupid.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Adam Strange posted:

http://www.tcj.com/this-these-past-weeks-in-comics-1213-all-of-you-remain-trapped-here-with-me/#comment-127149

Don't know what's going on with the Moebius catalogue in North America but it sounds stupid.

Yeah, it's pretty much the bane of everyone's existence.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Random Stranger posted:

For what it's worth volume 11 is one of the more skippable of the series. It's worth reading, of course, but you can jump right onto Grasscutter, one of the best storylines in the series, without missing much

From what I can see, Vol. 12 isn't much cheaper! That's just the way it is.

I'm just happy I was able to get The Life and Times Of Scrooge McDuck before it went up to about £150.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 9, 2013

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
If you search for completed auctions, ebay.co.uk shows Volume 11 selling recently for around £20 (including shipping) and 12 for around £15 (shipped). The Crazy Prices are just what wingnut scalpers are asking, not what anyone is actually paying.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

funtax posted:

If you search for completed auctions, ebay.co.uk shows Volume 11 selling recently for around £20 (including shipping) and 12 for around £15 (shipped). The Crazy Prices are just what wingnut scalpers are asking, not what anyone is actually paying.

Now you have to wait for someone to list it again.

Speaking of Dark Horse and reprints, they're doing a criminal disservice to Jeremiah with their "omnibus" prints. 500 copies of volume 1? C'mon, now. Sell the license to someone else, jeeze.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Anyone know if the Miles Morales USM will get the same OSHC treatment Parker did?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

StumblyWumbly posted:

Anyone know if the Miles Morales USM will get the same OSHC treatment Parker did?

It will be a while before we find out. The are just releasing the third trade soon and it would be months before they would release a hardcover of the first two trades.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Amazon posted:

Customers who considered purchasing the following item, "Essential Moon Knight, Vol. 1 (Marvel Essentials)", might like to know that the current lowest used price is $39.98.

That's a little better :unsmith:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

StumblyWumbly posted:

I would imagine so. Sales are holding up relative to the Parker years, right?

In other news, I only lack USM OSHC vols 9 and 10 until my USM life of Peter Parker collection is complete! (I bought volumes 11 and 12 and the Death of Spider-Man Omnibus already so that when I get 9 and 10 I have a fuckload of awesome Ultimate Spidey action to tear through) If I wasn't the Brokest Goon I'd already have them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

funtax posted:

I certainly hope so. Something amusing I've just noticed: a book which has a used price ranging from £170 to £1300 can be traded in for... a £7 gift card!

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
I'd love to be able to get a hardcover of the first twelve issues of Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man and just ignore the whole "Divided We Fall" crossover.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

InStockTrades is awesome, they easily beat Amazon prices when it comes to high prices Absolute and Omnibus books.

Speaking of Absolutes, somebody talk me out of buying Absolute Death. On one hand, the completist in me wants it to complete my Sandman set. On the other hand, I can get the Death Hardcover for $16.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

InStockTrades is awesome, they easily beat Amazon prices when it comes to high prices Absolute and Omnibus books.

I haven't shopped there in years when their prices were more in line with Amazon's. I checked there recently and saw a lot of stuff for 40%+ off, so I'll have to keep them in mind next time I place a big order.

There is one thing that bothers me with them, and I've run into this twice: if you order something that turns out to by out of stock (irony!), they will ship you the rest of the order and charge you for the full order. You'll get a note saying the item was out of stock and will be shipped when it shows up. You have to contact them directly to get that money refunded, which I usually do because it's always a rare item that is out of print. So, just be aware.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Uthor posted:

There is one thing that bothers me with them, and I've run into this twice: if you order something that turns out to by out of stock (irony!), they will ship you the rest of the order and charge you for the full order. You'll get a note saying the item was out of stock and will be shipped when it shows up. You have to contact them directly to get that money refunded, which I usually do because it's always a rare item that is out of print. So, just be aware.

Just a head's-up: Forbidden Planet (at least, the .co.uk site) does this too. Or used to, anyway - I don't shop from them any more.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Wachter posted:

Just a head's-up: Forbidden Planet (at least, the .co.uk site) does this too. Or used to, anyway - I don't shop from them any more.

Depends on your payment method with FP. If you use a credit or debit card they'll charge you on dispatch, but PayPal will go through straight away. This is especially annoying when it's something that should either be in stock or readily available but somehow still takes 4 weeks.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
IST will also pack your order like you ordered some expensive fragile poo poo and it will always arrive safely where as I've had Amazon put my omnis in a big 'ol box with no packaging like so: http://imgur.com/a/v4ZIK#NkrZ0.

And the Valerian books I ordered were all bent and janky so I had to return them and c'mon son get your act together Amazon <:mad:>

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Happy Hippo posted:

I would imagine so. Sales are holding up relative to the Parker years, right?

In other news, I only lack USM OSHC vols 9 and 10 until my USM life of Peter Parker collection is complete! (I bought volumes 11 and 12 and the Death of Spider-Man Omnibus already so that when I get 9 and 10 I have a fuckload of awesome Ultimate Spidey action to tear through) If I wasn't the Brokest Goon I'd already have them.

I have an extra Volume 9 HC still in the shrink wrap if you are interested.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

al-azad posted:

Speaking of Dark Horse and reprints, they're doing a criminal disservice to Jeremiah with their "omnibus" prints. 500 copies of volume 1? C'mon, now. Sell the license to someone else, jeeze.

I lucked into a copy for cover price out of town. I had no idea how limited this was. Volume 2 seems rare too.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Nodoze posted:

I have an extra Volume 9 HC still in the shrink wrap if you are interested.

Money is super tight right now (I'm getting married in April and am saving up for the honeymoon). But thanks!

edit; Just out of curiosity how much are you asking?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

ShortStack posted:

IST will also pack your order like you ordered some expensive fragile poo poo and it will always arrive safely where as I've had Amazon put my omnis in a big 'ol box with no packaging like so: http://imgur.com/a/v4ZIK#NkrZ0.

And the Valerian books I ordered were all bent and janky so I had to return them and c'mon son get your act together Amazon <:mad:>

I've taken to just sending thing back to Amazon over and over again until they either properly package it or get lucky. Thus far, it seems like they'd rather send 3-4 copied than just package one properly - loving bubble mailers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Do they do international deliveries?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
My Absolute Batman and Robin shipped, getting it tomorrow pretty stoked to see what it looks like.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

JackDarko posted:

My Absolute Batman and Robin shipped, getting it tomorrow pretty stoked to see what it looks like.

Take some pics if you get a chance.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Happy Hippo posted:

Money is super tight right now (I'm getting married in April and am saving up for the honeymoon). But thanks!

edit; Just out of curiosity how much are you asking?

Can you do 20 shipped?

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

redbackground posted:

Great collection, xK1. Only the classiest of BSSers own all 3 Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck hardcovers :smug:

Only 4 more days to enter the raffle!

edit: math is hard

I own all 3 and the two Donald duck books.
I wish they would release the rest of Don Rosa's Scrooge and Donald stories, but it seems the whole thing is in limbo :negative:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pixeltendo posted:

I own all 3 and the two Donald duck books.
I wish they would release the rest of Don Rosa's Scrooge and Donald stories, but it seems the whole thing is in limbo :negative:

With Boom losing the rights I doubt we'll see anything new reprint wise any time soon.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Take some pics if you get a chance.

I just got it and it's pretty nice, it has no dust jacket which I think is a nice, i'll snap some pictures of the book in a little bit.

JackDarko fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 16, 2013

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Can you do 20 shipped?

YES.

PM me or shoot me an email at fancy.puddings.aplenty@gmail.com

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Let me know if you guys want anything else.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JackDarko posted:

Dance for us.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Holy poo poo DC is actually publishing something good for once?

SOLO DELUXE EDITION HC
Written by DARWYN COOKE, JEPH LOEB, BRIAN AZZARELLO, RICHARD CORBEN, TIM SALE, JOHN ARCUDI, HOWARD CHAYKIN, MICHAEL ALLRED, NEIL GAIMAN, STEVEN T. SEAGLE, SERGIO ARAGONES, MARK EVANIER, BRENDAN McCARTHY and others
Art by TIM SALE, RICHARD CORBEN, PAUL POPE, HOWARD CHAYKIN, DARWYN COOKE, JORDI BERNET, MICHAEL ALLRED, TEDDY KRISTIANSEN, SCOTT HAMPTON, DAMION SCOTT, SERGIO ARAGONES and BRENDAN McCARTHY
Cover by TIM SALE
On sale JUNE 5 • 568 pg, FC, 7.0625" x 10.875", $49.99 US
• At last, the acclaimed 12-issue series SOLO is collected, featuring the work of some of comics' greatest creators, including Darwyn Cooke, Tim Sale, Paul Pope and so many others. With stories starring Batman, Robin, Superman, The Spectre, The Teen Titans and more, as well as westerns, war stories, science fiction epics, humor and horror, this is a collection you won't want to miss!
• Collects SOLO #1-12.

FINALLY. Jesus loving christ.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
Has anyone gotten the Absolute Sinestro Corp War book? I have the original HC's for it but I was wondering how it made the transition to the Absolute size, thinking of picking it up. I looked back in this thread since it's release and didn't see much talk about it.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

JackDarko posted:

My copy just came, and I was surprised it doesn't have a dust jacket. First Absolute I've gotten that that's the case with. I don't particularly mind--I hate those things. New trend with Absolutes?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Colonel Pancreas posted:

My copy just came, and I was surprised it doesn't have a dust jacket. First Absolute I've gotten that that's the case with. I don't particularly mind--I hate those things. New trend with Absolutes?

Kingdom Come and the various Endless absolutes don't have dust jackets either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
A lesser HC gripe, but it still kills me that the new 52 Batwoman volumes aren't the same size as Elegy.