Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Minto Took posted:

I'm growing to like the new cars on the CTA.

I dont like how the doors lock so you cant walk between cars. I found it handy when some bum smelling like piss and poo poo stumbles into your car and starts screaming at demons. (for those of you not familiar with the city, this happens often.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Minto Took posted:

I'm growing to like the new cars on the CTA.

i liked the old ankle eater cars with the blinker doors, because im a foaming rail tourist and not a rush hour commuter

Preoptopus posted:

I dont like how the doors lock so you cant walk between cars. I found it handy when some bum smelling like piss and poo poo stumbles into your car and starts screaming at demons. (for those of you not familiar with the city, this happens often.)

thats really any metro in the states

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Preoptopus posted:

Red or Blue Line?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Blue line in the middle of the night is a rolling homeless shelter, not to say I havent seen my fair share of bullshit on the Redline. Also cubs fans puking on the redline sucks too.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
I like the new CTA cars too because they give off the same AC inverter sound as my Prius does in electric only mode.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
So apparently a stolen train crashed into a house in Stockholm yesterday...

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I hope those two beat cops weren't the only guys they sent to respond. Looks a bit heavy to push. :ohdear:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Willfrey posted:

Maybe he just didn't want to walk from the station to his home, in the snow?

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Willfrey posted:

Here's the full story: Cleaning lady steals train and crashes into house

"It shouldn't be possible for unauthorized people to drive our trains," Christer G. Wennerholm, a Moderate member of the Stockholm County Council's traffic committee, said in a statement.

Yes, you could say that.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

bytebark posted:

The one "advantage" listed there which I disagree with is "smoother ride." I've ridden a few rubber-tired transit operations (mostly those running at airports) and they're never smooth. A few years ago I went to Disney World and made it a point to ride the Monorail (rubber tired on a concrete beam) so I could compare it to the CTA in Chicago. Without a doubt the CTA (operating on a 100+ year old elevated structure in some places) has the better ride.

Really? I've ridden Montreal and NYC in my youth (no real comparison there, NYC could jar your loving teeth out), and CTA this June. The rubber-tired ones were always smoother from my recollection.

Regarding airport 'metro' systems: Keep in mind that the little trains at airports aren't really a metro system. They were a gee-whiz thingamabob stuck underground sometime between 1970 and 1990 and probably given the absolute minimum necessary maintenance to keep them dragging rear end around their tiny circles of track. They've probably run up more working hours than a real metro would, under harsher stop-start-stop intervals because there's like four trains to cover the whole airport, 24/7/365.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Someone has put up an Imgur album of images from the crash.

Filthy Luker
Aug 4, 2002
http://goo.gl/maps/gjc3Y

This does seem like a rather unfortunate place to build a nice house.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I wonder if train joyriding is really common and nobody reports on it because it generally doesn't end up in photos this good.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Rubber tire train that runs it self at San Francisco International Airport
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Trains-without-track-2-car-rail-vehicles-on-2872540.php

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Im back, and for that I am sorry

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I wonder if train joyriding is really common and nobody reports on it because it generally doesn't end up in photos this good.

I don't know about joyriding, but my best friend and I found an idling MOW train after hours once. We knew how to work the switch for that siding but were't stupid enough to make the thing go. We did blow the horns a few times and crawl all over the locos.

Another time we almost lost control of a flat car we found on the same siding. We could get it moving a whole lot easier than stopping.

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 16, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Yeah, that poo poo is looked down upon.

Especially in dark territory (no signal system) could mean a life and death situation for people who work out here. And it could also mean a gigantic gently caress off huge boom as well. We get unit propane trains from the north that head south. God drat if one of those derails, I could begin to imagine the size of the boom.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Im back, and for that I am sorry

I'm not saying that people should do it, just that it happens. We were teenagers.

The caboose on that train has been a coffee shop for over 10 years. Iron Horse Espresso.

Edit: http://www.alaskarails.org/pix/caboose/AMHA-1776.html
http://www.alaskarails.org/pix/caboose/RT-1776.html

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 16, 2013

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Filthy Luker posted:

http://goo.gl/maps/gjc3Y

This does seem like a rather unfortunate place to build a nice house.

Are full-size SUVs really that common there? I see at least one.

Sirveaux
Aug 26, 2004
<=>
In Sweden in general? No.

In Saltsjbaden? Yes. Cause you need a vehicle that large to survive that 20 km commute into the city.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Som guys have a train in their basement, this guy HAS a train in his basement.

Watch this video. This guy built a perfectly detailed portion of a scale sized CN Via Rail passenger car down to the last rivet, screw, carpet, and seats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjMnWdIWjWs

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
A few pages from an old National Lampoon I liked enough to save for years:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I want to believe.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The train on the cover is multi-track drifting! :haw:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
How did they get inside my six-year-old head :tinfoil:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
I think that art would make great art for the man room.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

dee eight posted:

A few pages from an old National Lampoon I liked enough to save for years:

<images>

Please tell me that this is available on Google Books or something similar. It looks like it'd make a fantastic coffee table book.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It's from the March 1977 issue, which can be found on Ebay or Amazon.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
London Underground turned 150 this month and I'm surprised nobody posted about them doing something awesome / dirty

They ran this poo poo during normal service hours and smoked out the tunnels :black101:

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 21, 2013

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

There's a video of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Qvb2npctk

That is so badass and the best way to celebrate the anniversary of the Tube.

Edit: I found another longer video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu-kQ5NLRm0 The sparks flying from Sarah Siddons (the electric locomotive at the other end) are just as badass as the steam from Met no. 1. :black101:

Zeether fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 21, 2013

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Bucephalus posted:

It's from the March 1977 issue, which can be found on Ebay or Amazon.

Ordered this so hard. One less copy on eBay, sucka! This should go nicely with my other favorite railroading book, "Scalded to Death by the Steam."

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I've started a little tumblr for the London Underground. It'll focus less on the trains (because you can only really say so much about them) but details of stuff like station architecture, all the exposed hardware, period fittings, etc, basically the beauty of the infrastructure.

http://tfldetails.tumblr.com/

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Didn't this actually exist as weaponry in WWII or something? I think I remember seeing a rail cannon like this before.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 24, 2013

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Also known as the weirdest level in Wolf:ET, yeah.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwerer_Gustav

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

They most certainly did. One of Hitler's many superweapons that wasted the Nazis' industrial resources and probably helped bring about the downfall of Germany earlier than it otherwise would have happened.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwerer_Gustav

At 800mm they were the largest guns ever built. They fired ~7 ton shells 24-29 miles at a rate of about 1 per 30-45 minutes. Gotta love Nazi superweapons.

Edit: wow, beating by 3 seconds. Good show!

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Our own Zach Parsons wrote a book about bizarre WWII military inventions called My Tank is Fight. Pretty sure this gets a chapter in it.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

I'm been visiting Tehachapi, CA, and I had a chance to drive out to the loop today. The lighting sucked; so, I'm going back when the clouds clear.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I really do need to take a trip out west to film me some trains sometime. This is about as close as we get to that kind of scene on the east coast, and this required a long rear end hike to get to. Climbing a 200 foot hill of loose leaves at a 45 degree angle with a tripod and a camera bag isn't fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL1FXCj8_DI

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Anyone know the story behind this picture?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Wikipedia posted:

On 25 July 2010 a maintenance train collided with a buffer stop at the station. The train rammed a small shop, passed through it and stopped at the square behind it. Only two people were injured, out of four people on the train. The accident happened late at night, when passenger services had already finished.[1] Aerial photographs of the accident show several wagons dispersed across the platform, indicating the collision took place at high speed.[2]

The Dutch Safety Board investigated the accident and concluded on 13 September 2011 that the direct cause of the accident was a combination of two factors: the train driver had not seen a signal and the ATB train protection system did not succeed in stopping the train either. The driver missed the signal because he was unfamiliar with the route, because the work plan contained errors, because some signs along the route were missing, because the signal was unusual, and because he was distracted. The ATB was unsuccessful because the systems on the train and along the track were incompatible, and because the ATB had been automatically switched to a less restrictive mode. The underlying cause was identified by the Board as a lack of attention to safety among the companies involved.[3]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Zeether posted:

That is so badass and the best way to celebrate the anniversary of the Tube.

Edit: I found another longer video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu-kQ5NLRm0 The sparks flying from Sarah Siddons (the electric locomotive at the other end) are just as badass as the steam from Met no. 1. :black101:

I used to work in the building on the other side of the tracks with a great view into the depot. It would have been awesome to look out of the window and see that.