Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

It costs more to put a person on death row than it does to give them a life sentence and keep him there.

http://deathpenalty.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=001000

I believe this lovely individuals argument is ignore the appeals process and light them up now to save money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Chorrax posted:

Help me say something D&D, because I just... can't...

Is it wrong of me to say that you should just say "You're not going to do it. You don't have the balls?"

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

I believe this lovely individuals argument is ignore the appeals process and light them up now to save money.
DON'T THINK TOO HARD, KILL THEM NOW! :v:

It reminds me of Rick Perry more or less gloating that he might have sent an innocent man to death, or the many hundreds of people that have been exonerated by DNA evidence.

As for vaccines, what the poo poo?! I don't think he understands correlation vs. causation. For diseases, you can effectively prove that 1) the disease doesn't happen without the organism, 2) the disease apparently happens only with the introduction of the organism, and 3) blocking or vaccination of the organism prevents the manifestation of symptoms. That effectively establishes causation. Correlation vs. Causation would be "everyone with the disease also has this organism" - it ignores the possibility that people without the organism have the disease, that removing the organism won't remove the symptoms, that people without the disease have the organism, etc.

The case of vaccination is just the negative of establishing the cause.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Barudak posted:

Yeah, and my response is that it doesn't actually save any significant amount of money

swiss_army_chainsaw
Apr 10, 2007

Come, the new Jerusalem

13Pandora13 posted:

I tell her the "Vaccination Council" is not peer-reviewed science and is thoroughly debunked, which she replies with, "I personally know Suzanne Humphries, she is a good doctor and I trust her! :downs: "

I'm so sick of the shrill "I'M A MOM!" justification for so much of this bullshit. Being a parents does not bequeath you with any special knowledge. If anything, it seems to cloud people's judgement with irrational fears. I thought for sure I was going into labor the other day. I wasn't. If I'd just calmed down for five minutes and focused on something other than my "symptoms," I probably would've saved myself a trip to the hospital.

Hi, I'm a mom and my intuition sucks. Give me all the facts before I make a big decision, please.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Yeah, and my response is that it doesn't actually save any significant amount of money

A large portion of the increased costs is that non-capital defendants have less legal options and guarantees and trials are closed faster than capital punishment individuals. This person is looking to remove those options and guarantees and just start butchering people, presumably as soon as a person enters the court house looking guilty, hence saving money.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Power of Pecota posted:

Growing up in Kansas City, the garbage people I know from grade school/high school is going to kill me today.

My family does not look like the one in the fourth panel. Racially, I mean. Somehow I think that means the original author of that image would have some reservations about allowing us a gun.

swiss_army_chainsaw
Apr 10, 2007

Come, the new Jerusalem
Also, are people willfully ignorant of the fact that the First Family is literally bombarded with threats every day? I think Obama's something like the most threatened President in history. Memes like that one are part of the mindset that fosters those threats.

Somebody please slap this on a Willy Wonka image: Oh, so you think Obama's kids don't need protection? Got any other neat-o beliefs about the guy, perhaps some beliefs that warrant all that protection in the first place?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

swiss_army_chainsaw posted:

Also, are people willfully ignorant

Overwhelmingly

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

DarkHorse posted:

It costs more to put a person on death row than it does to give them a life sentence and keep him there.

http://deathpenalty.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=001000

"oh yeah? well im in favor of just putting a bullet in their head right then and there in the court and sending their family a bill for the bullet....."

This was actually the culminating point of my High School Forensics teacher's idea called the "three strikes rule". If you commit a crime three times, we shoot you in the head and send your family the bill. That will stop all crime pretty quick.

Tomahawk fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 17, 2013

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Tomahawk posted:

"oh yeah? well im in favor of just putting a bullet in their head right then and there in the court and sending their family a bill for the bullet....."

This is quite literally more or less the response I get from every death penalty supporter whenever I point out costs. The fact over 120 people have been legally exonerated from death row(either while living or posthumously) holds just since the mid 1970's holds no bearing. It's basically that Tea Party guy who got caught saying "It takes ball to execute an innocent man" on a large scale.

swiss_army_chainsaw
Apr 10, 2007

Come, the new Jerusalem

Amused to Death posted:

This is quite literally more or less the response I get from every death penalty supporter whenever I point out costs. The fact over 120 people have been legally exonerated from death row(either while living or posthumously) holds just since the mid 1970's holds no bearing. It's basically that Tea Party guy who got caught saying "It takes ball to execute an innocent man" on a large scale.

Also, it's basically the same mindset that thinks breaking and entering is punishable by death, i.e. homeowners are always justified in killing an intruder or merely a "threatening" person.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

quote:

Are only hope for America is GOD, because Washington is leading us straight into the belly of the beast.

"Are only hope for America is GOD, so let's send a bunch of Americans to meet him right away."

What kind of a religion can make someone appeal to God as the only hope, to conclude a paragraph supporting mass killing? It's completely deranged. This is the kind of poo poo that movie terrorists and fantasy cultists say. And of course it's that same religion which almost certainly has brainwashed this guy into wrapping up a huge amount of self-identity in being "pro-life".

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Man I just got the Sandy Hook video on my FB. Thought I would dodge that poo poo. The poster put "WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!!" in front of it.
The only replies were agreeing with the OP. I was in a lovely mood so I said, "I thought my feed was going to escape this nutjob poo poo."
Now there are calls to defriend me, I guess people don't like anyone with an opposing viewpoint so I followed up with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzMtYWvvnQ4

and the reddit link posted earlier:
http://www.reddit.com/r/skeptic/comments/16lkhq/this_sandy_hook_conspiracy_video_has_been_making/c7xjgzr

the response: too many "coincidences" to new laws passed immediately, from past and present, and of course the future too. It's a pattern, and it's obvious to me.

I don't even know what that means.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 17, 2013

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Hey, one of the most virulently anti-Obama people I know is speaking out against the comparisons to Hitler on facebook:

"No. Obama is not a Nazi. How could he hate the jews when they pay and empower him?"

:stonk:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Man I just got the Sandy Hook video on my FB. Thought I would dodge that poo poo. The poster put "WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!!" in front of it.
The only replies were agreeing with the OP. I was in a lovely mood so I said, "I thought my feed was going to escape this nutjob poo poo."
Now there are calls to defriend me, I guess people don't like anyone with an opposing viewpoint so I followed up with this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/skeptic/comments/16lkhq/this_sandy_hook_conspiracy_video_has_been_making/c7xjgzr

the response: too many "coincidences" to new laws passed immediately, from past and present, and of course the future too. It's a pattern, and it's obvious to me.

De-friend them first? I don't know, someone would pretty much have to be a huge pile of dogshit to actually believe that the government just rounded up and murdered 22 kids to "take are guns :911: :downsgun: !" They probably don't have anything positive to offer you in life anyway.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

13Pandora13 posted:

De-friend them first? I don't know, someone would pretty much have to be a huge pile of dogshit to actually believe that the government just rounded up and murdered 22 kids to "take are guns :911: :downsgun: !" They probably don't have anything positive to offer you in life anyway.

No, they believe no kids actually died, that all the victims are fake, everything is fake. Still just as crazy, of course.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

This video is perfect. Im sure Ill need it going forward.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I really hope no one I know buys into the Sandy Hook false flag bullshit because I may just throttle them :sigh:

Children died.

First grade children were shot execution style.

I hope none of the affected families are aware of this bullshit.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
This is the future. There's going to be a new brand of truther for every horrible event that gets lots of media coverage. Crackpot conspiracy theories are now mainstream.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I really hope no one I know buys into the Sandy Hook false flag bullshit because I may just throttle them :sigh:

Children died.

First grade children were shot execution style.

I hope none of the affected families are aware of this bullshit.

There was an article about how one of the guys who helped some of the kids are getting phone calls how he is part of the cover up.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/gene-rosen-sandy-hook-conspiracy-155033813.html

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

bobkatt013 posted:

There was an article about how one of the guys who helped some of the kids are getting phone calls how he is part of the cover up.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/gene-rosen-sandy-hook-conspiracy-155033813.html

Sickening.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

I read that article earlier today and actually became physically ill. The very idea that we live in a world where heroes are chastised, harassed and become the bad guys is some sort of bizarro world. Those people calling him and claiming he is part of a cover up are legitimately mentally ill, and need a thorough psych evaluation.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

People are STILL calling him a fraud in the comments of that article

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Just debated my rear end off on some friends that don't like the points that Obama made on gun control. When I pointed out each aspect of why its being included, they threw down the whole shebang of the 2nd amendment, Hitler, the poor and the rich, and I got them down to finally accepting it, but that they should have the choice of owning an assault rifle because they might need it to defend their family and property. I left it with "If you are in a situation where you need an assault rifle to defend your family and property despite having a pistol and a shotgun, then you are in a situation that needs the police, a SWAT team, or the military."

THEY DON'T EVEN OWN WEAPONS.

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004
I really don't know if these kind of conspiracy nuts have always been around and are just having their voices magnified by the internet or if the seemingly widespread nature of these conspiracy theories is indicative of social or cultural changes in the US.

The 9/11 stuff was stupid as hell but seemed relatively harmless. This Sandy hook stuff is moral repulsive on a much different level.

swiss_army_chainsaw
Apr 10, 2007

Come, the new Jerusalem

Token Cracker posted:

I really don't know if these kind of conspiracy nuts have always been around and are just having their voices magnified by the internet or if the seemingly widespread nature of these conspiracy theories is indicative of social or cultural changes in the US.

The 9/11 stuff was stupid as hell but seemed relatively harmless. This Sandy hook stuff is moral repulsive on a much different level.

It's arguably always been around: http://www.salon.com/2013/01/16/newtown_truthers_where_conspiracy_theories_come_from/

The author of that article argues the U.S. was essentially founded on a conspiracy theory, which is an interesting idea.

As for the Sandy Hook stuff...it truly is nauseating. In a way, it's even worse than what actually happened, which was bad enough as it was: http://blogs.forward.com/forward-thinking/168707/wrestling-with-details-of-noah-pozners-killing/

Why the gently caress would people make up (or worse yet, go along with) a story about a little boy being so badly mutilated that his family had to have a closed casket funeral? Are guns really that important to some people?

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

I'm so sick of the shrill "I'M A MOM!" justification for so much of this bullshit. Being a parents does not bequeath you with any special knowledge.

I got into an argument with my mom last month, where I basically told her that she deliberately indulges in media like Fox News that doesn't challenge her way of thinking. She got really indignant, saying that I was disrespectful to "my elders" and not trusting of her. I asked if I'm just supposed to blindly accept anything that she says, and her response was "unless you have citable facts immediately on hand, then yes".

The idea that higher age = more wisdom needs to die so loving badly.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I actually argued two people down from the Sandy Hook conspiracy ledge today. So there is some hope yet.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Welp now it went back to full crazy. In saying that the 2nd Amendment says the right for the people to bear arms, but yet we can't have military weapons such as rockets, machine guns, grenades, shows that the government will put limitations on what its people can have to defend themselves. Crazy buddy then said that the government that isn't letting citizens own military-grade weapons is infringing on their rights.

He says that as long as people don't act irrational, no one has anything to be afraid of pretty much. I'm saving this convo, its possibly the most convoluted poo poo I've ever seen.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Ringo Star Get posted:

...but yet we can't have military weapons such as rockets, machine guns, grenades...

Actually we can have all of those things, they're just expensive and require a lot of paperwork.

One of my biggest issues with gun talk is people will use the 2nd Amendment as magical justification for gun ownership, but are unwilling to consider the possibility that the 2nd Amendment is not longer relevant.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

It's arguably always been around: http://www.salon.com/2013/01/16/newtown_truthers_where_conspiracy_theories_come_from/

The author of that article argues the U.S. was essentially founded on a conspiracy theory, which is an interesting idea.
In fact, you could argue that the United States was founded on a conspiracy theory. “The conviction that the English colonial policies of the 1760s and 1770s constituted a conspiracy to enslave America played a major role in the outbreak of the American Revolution,” scholar Peter Knight writes in his comprehensive encyclopedia of American conspiracy theories. In the Declaration of Independence, the Founders wrote that King George was executing a secret plot with the “direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States.”

I really winced at this. The idea that the King George was a jackbooted dictator and the American Revolution was a triumph of the working man to win his enlightened victory over a tyrannical regime was one that I quickly grew very tired of after reading Zinn's The People's History of the United States.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I don't think most of the colonists read much Zinn, else they may have reached the same conclusion as you.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

I'm so sick of the shrill "I'M A MOM!" justification for so much of this bullshit. Being a parents does not bequeath you with any special knowledge. If anything, it seems to cloud people's judgement with irrational fears. I thought for sure I was going into labor the other day. I wasn't. If I'd just calmed down for five minutes and focused on something other than my "symptoms," I probably would've saved myself a trip to the hospital.

Hi, I'm a mom and my intuition sucks. Give me all the facts before I make a big decision, please.

Tell me about it. I had someone link this a few days ago: http://govtslaves.info/5-reasons-why-ill-never-get-a-flu-shot/

Fortunately, my multi-paragraph "that link is terrible and here is why" comment got me about as many likes as the original posting, so at least someone read it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I felt happy that my Facebook friends list had been basically purged of any crazy right-wingers, and haven't seen anything about Obama or gun control in many an age.

That all changed tonight. A friend of mine from when I was back in the Navy mysteriously reappeared after not having posted for months.

I...I don't even know what to say to that.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I worry as to whether they're actually talking about Obama's proposals or if they just think that the 2nd Amendment is being repealed.

The founding fathers guaranteed my rights to armor piercing bullets and 30-round magazines. How will I take on the Redcoats liberals? :qq:

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

I felt happy that my Facebook friends list had been basically purged of any crazy right-wingers, and haven't seen anything about Obama or gun control in many an age.

That all changed tonight. A friend of mine from when I was back in the Navy mysteriously reappeared after not having posted for months.

I...I don't even know what to say to that.

Why the hell do these people always choose to "move" to countries with governments to the left of the United States? Australia, Canada, UK. It really shows how screwed up their world view is that they don't realize that this "socialist paradise" the United States is becoming is still to the right of most 1st world countries.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm just dumbfounded by his response to tightening of US gun laws being to move to the UK, where gun laws are even stricter. I don't think he's talking about the EOs, because someone said something about it not passing the House/Senate. So I have no clue what they're referring to.

And now at least two people have commented on his status talking about the country needing a revolution. I'm actually now kind of curious how far the crazy will go.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Redczar posted:

Why the hell do these people always choose to "move" to countries with governments to the left of the United States? Australia, Canada, UK. It really shows how screwed up their world view is that they don't realize that this "socialist paradise" the United States is becoming is still to the right of most 1st world countries.

I had a friend saying that his taxes were so high, he was seriously thinking about moving to Australia.

I don't think he knows or cares what taxes are like in Aussie (hint: higher!) but is just putting together the thoughts "I hate paying taxes" and "Australia is very pretty in pictures I've seen".

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm just dumbfounded by his response to tightening of US gun laws being to move to the UK, where gun laws are even stricter. I don't think he's talking about the EOs, because someone said something about it not passing the House/Senate. So I have no clue what they're referring to.

They probably are talking about the EOs but don't understand what they are, or what sort of powers the executive branch has. Schoolhouse Rock didn't cover the difference between legislation and EOs in the "I'm Just a Bill" song.

Leospeare fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Redczar posted:

Where could they possibly go that's more right wing than the States?