Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monkahchi
Apr 29, 2012

Fresh Chops!
I travel to the USA from the UK frequently, and whenever possible I try to travel hand-luggage only. However, when I do I have to buy my toiletries out there, but US Deodorant (Right Guard) burns like mad, and whilst I'm not sensitive skinned at all, the 'Dial' shower gel I got last time, gives me an itchy rash for about 30 minutes after using.

For those in the US what Deodorant and Shower gel do you recommend? I'm keen to find good brands to use on my future visits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Monkahchi posted:

I travel to the USA from the UK frequently, and whenever possible I try to travel hand-luggage only. However, when I do I have to buy my toiletries out there, but US Deodorant (Right Guard) burns like mad, and whilst I'm not sensitive skinned at all, the 'Dial' shower gel I got last time, gives me an itchy rash for about 30 minutes after using.

For those in the US what Deodorant and Shower gel do you recommend? I'm keen to find good brands to use on my future visits.
A roll-on won't sting would it? Thinking about it now I don't know the reason aerosols sometimes sting but it feels like something to do with it being in spray form.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Serious question here: How do couples say that their pregnancy was unexpected? I know condoms and birth control are not 100% effective, but what do people think is going to happen when they don't use any?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

b0nes posted:

Serious question here: How do couples say that their pregnancy was unexpected? I know condoms and birth control are not 100% effective, but what do people think is going to happen when they don't use any?

Maybe they were, and that's why they didn't expect it?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Xandu posted:

I'm trying to take a screenshot of a pdf, but the quality keeps degrading for some reason. Is there any way to prevent this? On a windows computer.

What's your actual goal here? There's a lot of tools for PDF to image conversion, but which one you use depends on what you're trying to do - convert each page into a single image, or extract the embedded images from the PDF, or prepare to feed it to an OCR tool, or what.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Monkahchi posted:

I use old spice out of habit, and it's been working fine for me.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Monkahchi posted:

Dr. Bronner's magic soap is the best soap. Dilute! All-One!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

b0nes posted:

Some people also like to use the rhythm or pull-out method, which is often as effective as stuffing a cum-filled gym sock up your vagina.

I don't know how she got pregnant, I shot my load on her tits! :shrug:

Although I think most people mean "unplanned" as opposed to "unexpected", as in "we were really horny and didn't use protection that one time oh well".

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I like my parents' euphemism for my sister of "accepted risk".

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

b0nes posted:

Serious question here: How do couples say that their pregnancy was unexpected?

You answered your own question:

b0nes posted:

condoms and birth control are not 100% effective

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Happy accident.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Monkahchi posted:

My skin dries out and is irritated easily, so I use Cetaphil. It was recommended to me by a doctor.
http://www.cetaphil.com/

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Monkahchi posted:

Mitchum is good for sensitive skin and dove is a good soap. When it comes to those products you get what you pay for most of the time (axe type products being the exclusion). The cheaper stuff is mostly fragrance.

b0nes posted:

I think unexpected is used in place of unplanned most of the time. Also, a lot of people have sex unprotected for a long time without getting pregnant.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Xiahou Dun posted:

I like my parents' euphemism for my sister of "accepted risk".

Having a baby rip up your hoohah, eat you out of house and home and put you into debt is not an acceptable risk. But that is coming from a single guy.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

b0nes posted:

Having a baby rip up your hoohah, eat you out of house and home and put you into debt is not an acceptable risk. But that is coming from a single guy.

They wanted another kid eventually and so just started, "doing it raw".

It was a really awkward Christmas when they told that story, not gonna lie.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

alnilam posted:

edit: vvvvv add olive oil to your noodles right after you drain the water, and stir it around - doing this, I've never had a problem with stuck-on noodles in my non-non-stick pots

When I cook fettuccine I often have some bits stick to the saucepan, but it happens well before the water draining stage. It's just because the pasta can sit flat against the bottom while it's cooking. I've never had way other sort of pasta or noodles stick and never needed to add oil. In fact, if you've already drained off the water I don't see any way they could really stick, they're just cooked noodles sitting in a saucepan at that point.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tiggum posted:

When I cook fettuccine I often have some bits stick to the saucepan, but it happens well before the water draining stage. It's just because the pasta can sit flat against the bottom while it's cooking. I've never had way other sort of pasta or noodles stick and never needed to add oil. In fact, if you've already drained off the water I don't see any way they could really stick, they're just cooked noodles sitting in a saucepan at that point.

The starches on the surface of the noodles will bind them together - drain them and leave them sitting for five minutes rather than bunging them straight into the sauce and they'll glom together into a giant ball of pasta. This is really annoying when you gently caress up the timing and the pasta is ready ten minutes before the sauce is.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
e:nm

CraigK fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 17, 2013

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How the gently caress do i eat a Papaya? I just bought one and i don't know what the gently caress to do with it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mans posted:

How the gently caress do i eat a Papaya? I just bought one and i don't know what the gently caress to do with it.

Yellower = riper. Half- to all-yellow is ideal. It should be soft like a nicely ripe pear.
Cut it in half.
Scoop out the seeds (like with a squash).
Eat the flesh out of each half with a spoon or something.
Don't eat the rind. Not like it's poison or anything, it's just not good, like with a melon.

Alternately, you can cut it into cubes, removing the rind.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mans posted:

Cut it in half the long way. Scoop out and discard the seeds. Eat the fruit, don't eat the skin.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Guess that question was answered.

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 17, 2013

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Which is the fruit that if you don't boil it before you eat it you could get sick or die?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

b0nes posted:

Which is the fruit that if you don't boil it before you eat it you could get sick or die?

Not a fruit, but lima beans and kidney beans both require boiling before consumption.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kimbo305 posted:

What other ad or tv show is this girl from?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcBjwCiAJO4#t=7s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcBjwCiAJO4#t=17s
It's killing me trying to figure it out.

I think I figured out where I was remembering it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ2DoZnQtZI&t=10s
Same person? Given how old that AMC trailer must be, feels plausible.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

b0nes posted:

Not a fruit, but manioc/yucca/tapioca root needs to be boiled to remove cyanide compounds.
Also all beans?

Edit: I didn't mean beans also have poison, just that they need to be boiled or else they're very unpleasant

alnilam fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 18, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

tarepanda posted:

Not a fruit, but lima beans and kidney beans both require boiling before consumption.

:ssh: Beans are fruit.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Mak0rz posted:

:ssh: Beans are fruit.

I thought everyone learned that in elementary school:

Beans beans the musical fruit
The more you eat the more you toot
The more you toot, the better you feel
So let's eat beans for every meal

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Sieg posted:

I thought everyone learned that in elementary school:

Beans beans the musical fruit
The more you eat the more you toot
The more you toot, the better you feel
So let's eat beans for every meal

At my school we were taught that beans are good for your heart.
The more you eat the more you fart :colbert:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Olives also require some processing before being edible, but I think they just taste like poo poo if you don't. Same with acorns--they have lots of tannins in them and they're incredibly bitter until you wash them out.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Mans posted:

Squeeze lime over it before you eat it. This is delicious on mango and watermelon too.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Why do Americans say "I could give a poo poo"? It doesn't really make sense. It's "I couldn't give a poo poo" in the UK

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Why do Americans say "I could give a poo poo"? It doesn't really make sense. It's "I couldn't give a poo poo" in the UK

I have seen people angrily defend that 'could care less' and all it's incarnations is in fact the correct term through a long form of convoluted logic. I'm pretty sure it was simply misheard and copied, like 'could of' and 'for all intensive purposes'.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Namarrgon posted:

I have seen people angrily defend that 'could care less' and all it's incarnations is in fact the correct term through a long form of convoluted logic. I'm pretty sure it was simply misheard and copied, like 'could of' and 'for all intensive purposes'.

I tend to use both statements. "Couldn't care less" implies that, well, you don't care about or like something. "Could care less" sort of gives the message that you like it somewhat, but are unenthusiastic about it and wouldn't miss it if gone.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Mak0rz posted:

I tend to use both statements. "Couldn't care less" implies that, well, you don't care about or like something. "Could care less" sort of gives the message that you like it somewhat, but are unenthusiastic about it and wouldn't miss it if gone.
Let's get this out of the way.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How much weight can be sent with a single stamp? I want to mail a friend a little booklet I made. It fits in an envelope but weighs about as much as 3 or 4 postcards. If I throw a second stamp on there should that cover me?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

NESguerilla posted:

How much weight can be sent with a single stamp? I want to mail a friend a little booklet I made. It fits in an envelope but weighs about as much as 3 or 4 postcards. If I throw a second stamp on there should that cover me?

That's what postal scales are for! One stamp is good for an ounce of first class mail. If you really want to pinch pennies you can take it to a post office or some other mailing place and pay the exact amount if you're over an ounce.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

NESguerilla posted:

Assuming you're in the U.S., probably. Check out the chart below.

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm#1011092

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

A post office guy once told me that up to 5 pieces of standard paper is pretty safe, but as others have said, the actual threshold is 1 oz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Its not "Americans," its just dumb people, which is sadly a good portion of Americans.