Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Sublime Process posted:

So if my turbo completely fails, will it do any damage to my engine other than lack of power?

Depends on what fails. Seals? On the inlet side or the exhaust side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
Out with the 2010 MS3, in with the 2013. Same, awesome car. Fancy nav/dash - nicer headlights, blindspot monitoring and some other minor updates (like the Ricer taillights).

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I finally found a pair of RPF1s locally with nearly brand new tires (3000 miles) for a decent price, and now I'm trying to locate the necessary parts to mount them to my 09 MS3. Could you guys help me confirm these sizes?

• A set of 67.1mm ID to 73mm OD hub centric rings.
  • and a set of m12x1.5mm lug nuts with 60 degree conical bore. Unsure about what length lug nut to go with, brand, etc.

I don't see that size hub centric ring on Amazon Prime. Can you generally buy these from a local Discount Tire or similar shop for cheap? They're $8.99 online.

I found this McGard kit, but at $98, is it worth it? And are the nuts long enough?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P281RQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Sir Cornelius posted:

Depends on what fails. Seals? On the inlet side or the exhaust side?

I dunno. It only smokes randomly right now for about ~30 seconds, so I'm not sure which part is failing to cause that.

Few days later edit: took it into Mazda just on the off chance they'd fix it under warranty (I have 5k left before hitting 70k for the turbo extension) Long story short, he said since it isn't smoking all the time, it's a ventilation issue and not my turbo. If they do the vent kit, I'll have to use their new TIP - what will this do to what maps I can run on my AP?

Sublime Process fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 17, 2013

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Anyone else have the WORLDS LOUDEST MS6 SUSPENSION? When it gets cold it sounds like banging a 300lb lady on an old spring mattress whenever I go over a bump or turn the wheel.

What needs lubricated to fix this?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Laranzu posted:

Anyone else have the WORLDS LOUDEST MS6 SUSPENSION? When it gets cold it sounds like banging a 300lb lady on an old spring mattress whenever I go over a bump or turn the wheel.

What needs lubricated to fix this?

My MS3 has always been like this when it gets below freezing, even when it was pretty much new. It sounds normal above that so :effort:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Does anyone have any experience actually getting parts from salvage yards? I've only done basic pick-n-pull style parts. I'm possibly looking to pick up the Speed3 / 2010 3 mirrors with integrated indicators because my car has all the wiring to just plug and play with them.

How do I even get that ball rolling? :confused:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cygni posted:

Does anyone have any experience actually getting parts from salvage yards? I've only done basic pick-n-pull style parts. I'm possibly looking to pick up the Speed3 / 2010 3 mirrors with integrated indicators because my car has all the wiring to just plug and play with them.

How do I even get that ball rolling? :confused:

Have you found a yard with a wrecked MS3?

After that it's simple. Most places make you sign in, some charge a $5 entry fee. You'll need to bring tools as well. You go in, remove the parts you want and they charge you based on what they think the parts are worth.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I finally got around to putting my new-to-me RPF1s on my MS3. With tires, the factory wheels and tires weighed about 45 lbs. The 17x8 RPF1s and 235 series Hankooks weigh about 40 lbs.

So, I got a pair of great condition wheels, beefier tires with about 3000 miles on them, and I'm saving 5 lbs at each corner. Not bad.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Turns out all the crabbing and lovely suspension behavior is my rear shocks leaking. I swear this cold weather poo poo destroys cars.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just made a 3 hour drive in the MS6. About halfway through the drive I started to smell a vague coolant smell. I don't see any leaks under the hood or on the ground. Thoughts?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Ok, I'm confused as hell, and maybe you guys can help.

I have a 2009(2008.5) Mazda3S, base model sport. 2.3l, 5sp auto, no bluetooth/gps or anything.

I'm nearly 100% sure I have 17" rims, and every site seems to agree that the 08/09 5-doors came with 205/50R17 sized rims.

Yet, my tires seem to be 16s. I'm picking up a set of Blizzaks on tuesday in the 17" size, and I hope to gently caress I didn't just spend 800 bucks on tires that won't fit.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

Ok, I'm confused as hell, and maybe you guys can help.

I have a 2009(2008.5) Mazda3S, base model sport. 2.3l, 5sp auto, no bluetooth/gps or anything.

I'm nearly 100% sure I have 17" rims, and every site seems to agree that the 08/09 5-doors came with 205/50R17 sized rims.

Yet, my tires seem to be 16s. I'm picking up a set of Blizzaks on tuesday in the 17" size, and I hope to gently caress I didn't just spend 800 bucks on tires that won't fit.

The 2008.5 is considered a 2008, not a 2009. You should I'm 99% sure have 17" wheels now, but your tires won't lie.

Are you paying $800 just for tires? If so you are getting reamed. Order a second set of wheels with the snow tires already mounted from tirerack for less than that, and swap them out yourself each season.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Just made a 3 hour drive in the MS6. About halfway through the drive I started to smell a vague coolant smell. I don't see any leaks under the hood or on the ground. Thoughts?

Radiator end tank? They're plastic on these cars, aren't they? Mine in the Ranger couldn't be traced until I started disassembling it since it would only leak under pressure, and was covered by the fan shroud.

opengl128 posted:

The 2008.5 is considered a 2008, not a 2009. You should I'm 99% sure have 17" wheels now, but your tires won't lie.

Last part of this is the absolute truth; what size is listed on the sidewall of your tires?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Last part of this is the absolute truth; what size is listed on the sidewall of your tires?

205-55R16

WHAT THE gently caress.

16" rims weren't even a dealer option on that model year!

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
haha, can't even imagine a MS3 with 16" wheels.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm really confused by that. I always thought I had 17s.

And now I have to tell the dude at the tire shop that I hosed up and gave him the wrong size. Awesome. Either that, or get some 17" steelies.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The diesel Mazda 6's at the Daytona 24 not doing well. :/ All 3 cars had mechanical issues within the first couple hours, 2 are out for good with lost cylinders.

Hey, at least they look good:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
The green and red cars died early, the 00 blew a rear main seal a little while ago and all 3 have been retired. :(

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

hunter x az posted:

haha, can't even imagine a MS3 with 16" wheels.

He's talking about a regular 3. And I have 16" steelies on my MS3

opengl fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 27, 2013

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

opengl128 posted:

He's talking about a regular 3. And I have 16" steelies on my MS3

Oh okay. Ha. Makes sense. I have 18" winter set and 18" summer set for my MS3.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Yeah, just a standard 3. The all-seasons are garbage in this snow we've been getting, tap the brakes and ABS kicks in. So, time to upgrade tires.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Anyone with a Gen2 3 having an issue with the cruise control being on when you start the car? Once every three or four starts, the cruise control will be on when I start the engine in my '10 Speed3. I was thinking maybe the clockspring or wiring were going bad, but it doesn't seem to matter which way the wheel is turned when I start it up. Not a major problem, just kind of weird.

Hoping it isn't the clockspring shorting out. It would be really poo poo if the airbag shorted and popped me in the face while I was driving.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
Are Hotchkis and Cobb sway bars the same thing?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Ahem. Figured I'd stop in and give a little review on the Blizzaks after my little freakout. Got them in 16, no problem.

Report: They're awesome. Grippy as gently caress on fresh snow or slush, excellent stopping distance on all conditions. Apparently there's supposed to be a lot of road noise, but coming from the stock busted-rear end Toyos that the car came with they might as well be feathers.

Money well spent.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Whats a good set of (preferbly gas) shocks for an MS6? I'm seeing Blisten HDs and possibly Koni Yellows. Those are slightly expensive though.

Installing them will be a megabitch as I have no garage =(

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
Out of curiosity, how much of a pain in the rear end is it to change out the headlights on a MS6? I lost both low beams at the same time, sadly it isn't just a fuse, so I need to pull them both and hope that changing them out fixes them. I've been told they're a pain in the rear end, just curious how big of a pain I should be prepared for (and how much of the grill is going to end up on the garage floor.)

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Esmerelda posted:

Out of curiosity, how much of a pain in the rear end is it to change out the headlights on a MS6? I lost both low beams at the same time, sadly it isn't just a fuse, so I need to pull them both and hope that changing them out fixes them. I've been told they're a pain in the rear end, just curious how big of a pain I should be prepared for (and how much of the grill is going to end up on the garage floor.)

You are going to have to remove the front bumper. I haven't done it, but it looks not too difficult.

*edit*
Losing both low beams at the same time make me think its something with the HID electricals and not the housing itself.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Laranzu posted:

You are going to have to remove the front bumper. I haven't done it, but it looks not too difficult.

*edit*
Losing both low beams at the same time make me think its something with the HID electricals and not the housing itself.
I'm trying the cheapest possibilities first. Fuses are fine. Relay is fine. Headlights are next. After that it's $150 to have it looked at and diagnosed by a mechanic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Laranzu posted:

Whats a good set of (preferbly gas) shocks for an MS6? I'm seeing Blisten HDs and possibly Koni Yellows. Those are slightly expensive though.

Installing them will be a megabitch as I have no garage =(

I think the favorites are the Koni FSD's. I think a set runs about $700. If cost is a major factor you can just buy the cheapies from Autozone. Should run about $90 per corner up front and $40 per side for the rears. If you're patient Corksport is developing coilovers that should be out by summer.

Also you are now required to post a picture of your car as I was starting to think I was the last MS6er in here.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

I think the favorites are the Koni FSD's. I think a set runs about $700. If cost is a major factor you can just buy the cheapies from Autozone. Should run about $90 per corner up front and $40 per side for the rears. If you're patient Corksport is developing coilovers that should be out by summer.

Also you are now required to post a picture of your car as I was starting to think I was the last MS6er in here.

Negative. I'm still here! I'm building a house with a 3 car garage so I will have plenty of space to do more work on mine. I paid my car off in August after my daughter was born (never having car payments ever again in my life) so I feel much better about throwing a little more money at it to make it faster/more reliable etc. :)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Laranzu posted:

Seconding this...HID bulbs generally give you plenty of warning when they're on their way out. They slowly color shift over their lifespan but it increases sharply just before the bulb dies, and you'll have one start to turn pink or some other off the wall color. I don't think I've ever heard of two HID bulbs dying off simultaneously.

Aside from the bulbs each housing will have a ballast (probably mounted externally) and an igniter (typically attached directly to the bulb, looks like a small box directly mounted on the back of the projector.) Again, the odds of having either component in both housings go out at exactly the same time is exceedingly unlikely, and any issue is probably going to be upstream from the housings. I'd start with a volt meter and check for voltage at the headlight pigtail before diving into the housing(s.)

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Geoj posted:

Seconding this...HID bulbs generally give you plenty of warning when they're on their way out. They slowly color shift over their lifespan but it increases sharply just before the bulb dies, and you'll have one start to turn pink or some other off the wall color. I don't think I've ever heard of two HID bulbs dying off simultaneously.

Aside from the bulbs each housing will have a ballast (probably mounted externally) and an igniter (typically attached directly to the bulb, looks like a small box directly mounted on the back of the projector.) Again, the odds of having either component in both housings go out at exactly the same time is exceedingly unlikely, and any issue is probably going to be upstream from the housings. I'd start with a volt meter and check for voltage at the headlight pigtail before diving into the housing(s.)
Thanks for this. I honestly don't remember the light changing color but I don't drive the car very far nor much at night and I've only had it since November. It was super cold the morning that the lights stopped working and it wasn't like they went out after being on they simply never switched on after having worked the night before. Of course it could be something not bulb related at all and be a problem with the switch in the column or something else equally as dumb and annoying..

I'm going to be taking the car over to my brother-in-law's place to monkey around with it and he'd be more than happy to pull out his various volt meters and help.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Fairly strange but there are 3 MS6s at the place I work in Colorado. Statistical anomaly if there ever was one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Laranzu posted:

Fairly strange but there are 3 MS6s at the place I work in Colorado. Statistical anomaly if there ever was one.

Here in town there are two more black ones and I've seen silver and red but both of those ended up at the Mazda dealer and sold to out of towners.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Laranzu posted:

There are 17 cars at my work, 2 of which are Mazda 6s with the V6. Of course only one of the cars looks like it should have a V6, the other is a wagon. I see 3s everywhere around here, they're nearly as common as Subarus. The only other 6s that I've come across have been automatics with the smaller engine. I keep trying to find my car twin!

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Pictures!

Brand new! To me! In Hawaii, 2011

Where I live now. A little worse for the wear with dings, salt and freezing temperatures to deal with now.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Goddamn that's a good looking car. I've always liked the MS6, drat fine looking.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Looks drat fine in silver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That Hawaii plate is ironically buried under snow.

I've had my 3 seven years now! The extended warranty is officially expired.
This picture is in miles so that's 100,000 kms. Most of the miles were in the first few years I've had the car. I don't drive much at all now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!