Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cat Mattress posted:

Have you tried killing him? Items run their special when picked up, but monsters do so when killed. (And technically, a helper marine is a monster.)

Oooh, the level demands a human sacrifice (although I don't remember this particular issue being a problem when I ran through ZPack with BD a while back, which is strange). While we're on the subject, those BD buddy "power ups" are really growing on me. AI-wise, they're still dumb as poo poo, but at least they seem to be smarter than they were in the beginning. They'll actually follow you around and make an honest effort to kill things, which is especially nice when you're a loser and don't have anybody to co-op with. There's something distinctly satisfying about running around while one or two AI marines go crazy with chainguns / plasma rifles, like killing demons is suddenly a team effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Have you tried killing him? Items run their special when picked up, but monsters do so when killed. (And technically, a helper marine is a monster.)

Yeah, I did as a last resort. Still didn't fire. :(

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oooh, the level demands a human sacrifice (although I don't remember this particular issue being a problem when I ran through ZPack with BD a while back, which is strange). While we're on the subject, those BD buddy "power ups" are really growing on me. AI-wise, they're still dumb as poo poo, but at least they seem to be smarter than they were in the beginning. They'll actually follow you around and make an honest effort to kill things, which is especially nice when you're a loser and don't have anybody to co-op with. There's something distinctly satisfying about running around while one or two AI marines go crazy with chainguns / plasma rifles, like killing demons is suddenly a team effort.

Except when they have a rocket launcher and blow your poo poo up :(

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

SavageMessiah posted:

Except when they have a rocket launcher and blow your poo poo up :(

This is war, Mrs. Peacock! Casualties are inevitable!

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

WHOIS John Galt posted:

This is war, Mrs. Peacock! Casualties are inevitable!

I just "preemptively pacify" the dangerous ones! :getin:

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong

Thompsons posted:

I hope the Brutal Doom guy goes back to the Brutal Arsenal soon enough because using it with the latest GZDoom keeps giving me "expected a name but got something else" errors when I die in a level and reload any save.

Edit: Nevermind, switching to Zandorum fixed it. Also, am I the only one who really kinda hates software rendering in these engines? It makes everything all super dark and pixelly and fuckin butt-ugly.

For anyone still having this problem, someone made a hotfix: http://www.mediafire.com/?ibyx2fv0be5xhla

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:
So yeah, Scourge of Armagon was pretty darn good. The enemy distribution felt more Doom-like, some clever secrets and level design in general. If I had to make a complaint, the armor pacing seemed awful. I spent half the time naked and half the time in red armor. A couple times I found a gold armor in a secret and then the IMMEDIATE NEXT ROOM had a gold armor in plain sight. That, and gently caress Vores.

Thanks again for the inspiration, Johnny Law, good to be quaking again. The sound sample rate thing seemed to clear up my Quakespasm issue without causing any weirdness. I'd like to do some dumb rune deathmatching, it's been too long since I used a janky grappling hook in an fps.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

ExMortis posted:

That, and gently caress Vores.

Yes, though it's pretty hilarious when you have very little health and are futilely circling around things trying to lose a Vore bomb. I did that for almost a minute once. Those things can turn on a dime.

Edit: I should clarify that it was right behind me. :(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Wait, are we talking about Quake without mentioning speedruns or treating physics with a complete lack of respect? What's happening?

Here's the entirety of Quake 1 finished on Nightmare in 15 minutes. The monsters almost seem confused in the end-of-level camera views.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpiNDxssUL0

Here's the entirety of Quake 1 on Nightmare again, but with every level 100%ed in a little under an hour. Because if you're going to do something, do all of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhzXKMqZBBc

And here's my favorite trick video ever, Tricking iT2. I love how well edited to the music it is!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfhA9EAN77g

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I remember watching the original Quake Done Quick in the 90s with my co-workers and all of us were dumbfounded by the skill and creativity.

It still looks loving amazing and like magic.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

The Kins posted:

And here's my favorite trick video ever, Tricking iT2. I love how well edited to the music it is!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfhA9EAN77g

Tricking iT2 is alright but I really prefer defrag runs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAVsJI2PCiM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYBs_lslyuY

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Thompsons posted:

Edit: Nevermind, switching to Zandorum fixed it. Also, am I the only one who really kinda hates software rendering in these engines? It makes everything all super dark and pixelly and fuckin butt-ugly.

Most source ports require you to fiddle with the options a lot to get an experience close to original Doom. I can't stand anisotropic filtering, and yeah, its usually super dark by default; change that. They have more options than the original Doom for a reason.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Anyone remember Necrodome? That game had a great combination of vehicle and FPS combat. (Also, if you know how to get it running in modern Windows, please let me know.)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Commander Keenan posted:

Anyone remember Necrodome? That game had a great combination of vehicle and FPS combat. (Also, if you know how to get it running in modern Windows, please let me know.)

I remember an advertisement for Necrodome in a copy of PC Gamer. It looked like the most goddamned radical thing ever. Naturally, I assumed a demo would be available on AOL's Games website, but it wasn't. It also wasn't sold in any stores nearby, so no. No I don't remember Necrodome.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I remember an advertisement for Necrodome in a copy of PC Gamer. It looked like the most goddamned radical thing ever. Naturally, I assumed a demo would be available on AOL's Games website, but it wasn't. It also wasn't sold in any stores nearby, so no. No I don't remember Necrodome.

There is disappointingly little footage of the game anywhere. Sounds like I'll be setting up a Windows 95 VM this weekend to record!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Commander Keenan posted:

Anyone remember Necrodome?
Xaser does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDy5lV9tejA

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Xaser is some kind of freakish content-creation engine now, barely even recognizable as human. I also need to play that mod right now.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Hey ho got another Quake map recommendation.

Something Wicked This Way Comes: http://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/something_wicked.html

(too dark?)

This is an experiment of sorts with the new-ish "BSP2" format. It's a super-large map that came out of some work toward earlier maps. I was skeptical about a cobbled together giant Frankenstein map but IMO it's a pretty impressive construction really. It also uses the Drake mod to add some new monsters which work pretty well in a Quake-ish setting. I had a lot of fun fighting through it on Hard mode.

It's Quake so there's key-hunting and criss-crossing back and forth through this giant swiss-cheese fortress structure. One little bit of cleverness to help with this, although it comes across as a bit artificial, is the way that arrow symbols light up to point you in the general direction of the next door to unlock. You also unlock various shortcuts as you go. It's obvious that there was a bit of a struggle to try to keep people from being terribly lost. (But I don't mind getting a little lost.)

There's a big arena fight at the end which I wasn't a superfan of, but eh whatever.

Edit: oh yeah and there's over thirty secrets. :iia:

The catch is, because this is using BSP2, most Quake engines can't handle it. Pay attention to the stuff on that webpage that says that you need the latest/experimental build of RMQ or FTEQW. I had some problems getting hold of the right RMQ so I used the experimental FTEQW client (from Dec 2012): http://www.fteqw.com/ftedownloads/experimental

If you're using FTEQW and you have the files for this map/mod in the "wicked" folder, then to play it you would:

- start FTEQW
- open the console
- enter "gamedir wicked"
- to start, enter "map wickedstart" ... otherwise just ESC back out of the console and load your savegame

I've got a few more architecture screenshots as the most recent 5 or so on my Steam profile, although if you're gonna play this thing you should wait and see stuff yourself: http://steamcommunity.com/id/jlaw/screenshots/?appid=2310&sort=newestfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall&privacy=8

ExMortis posted:

I'd like to do some dumb rune deathmatching, it's been too long since I used a janky grappling hook in an fps.

Speaking of Frankenstein things... yeah those mods that were MacGyvered together using singleplayer assets like runes and voreballs were adorable. Dudes just being creative and resourceful. Good times, good times.

* rocks porch-chair back and forth *
* spits thoughtfully *

JLaw fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 18, 2013

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

I just tried it, and it really satisfies my need for stomping on people as a giant robot man.

I need to play through Heretic/Hexen with it.

DXH
Dec 8, 2003

Ne Cede Malis
With all this Armagon talk and with the posting of speedruns I just have to post my favorite speedrun of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SibdQvgsGJo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlnDvsa-Ork

"Scourge Done Slick" is a speedrun with a story and little one-liners that were hilarious ten years ago and it's still a very enjoyable twenty minutes of rocket jumping and physics abuse; I am still not sure how he kills the final boss the way he does but it is very impressive nonetheless. I still say "George! You brought the key!" whenever I get a chance which is unfortunately very rare as I do not know anyone named George presently.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

DXH posted:

With all this Armagon talk and with the posting of speedruns I just have to post my favorite speedrun of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SibdQvgsGJo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlnDvsa-Ork

"Scourge Done Slick" is a speedrun with a story and little one-liners that were hilarious ten years ago and it's still a very enjoyable twenty minutes of rocket jumping and physics abuse; I am still not sure how he kills the final boss the way he does but it is very impressive nonetheless. I still say "George! You brought the key!" whenever I get a chance which is unfortunately very rare as I do not know anyone named George presently.

The first movie has some of the most entertainingly bad one-liners I've heard in a long time. Holy poo poo.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I forgot that the Quake Done Quick dudes used to shoehorn silly plotlines into their runs!

It's been a long, strange trip from recammed demo files to Source Filmmaker... which I guess gives me a convenient excuse to post this model port I played with recently. :v:

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

bbcisdabomb posted:

The first movie has some of the most entertainingly bad one-liners I've heard in a long time. Holy poo poo.

Quake Machinima's foundation is horrible comic timing, horrible voice acting done with horrible equipment, featuring horrible dialog and horrible mapping/environment/texturing/modelling. I don't think I can remember any of those things that did not make me cringe at least a dozen times (including the ones I helped make).

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Essobie posted:

Quake Machinima's foundation is horrible comic timing, horrible voice acting done with horrible equipment, featuring horrible dialog and horrible mapping/environment/texturing/modelling. I don't think I can remember any of those things that did not make me cringe at least a dozen times (including the ones I helped make).
I vaguely remember a late-nite talkshow style thing where you were the guest and had a mosquito-pitched voice. There was a dark room in the map that a few friends and myself would use to deathmatch in the dark.

Edit: Found it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-pc2qvOcIM
My memory was wrong about which guest had the mosquito voice, though.

Ohvee fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 18, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Essobie posted:

It was a different age, lower standards. It was impressive as hell if you could just get your lovely quake machinima working, having actual *jokes* was a crazy plus. Who cares if they're good? Lol.

I still hold up The Seal of Nehahra as one of the greatest machinima projects of all loving time. But if you go back now and try to watch it, the audio quality is just loving horrendous. Its like everybody is shouting their lines, and they're halfway through swallowing the microphone while they do it. Nehahra is pretty funny though, and at times has good comedic timing. (Phil!) Othertimes not so much.

I also like Nehahra a lot because it actually explains the Quake backstory through cutscenes, which back in the Quake days was just something written on the inside of the manual.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The site for Darkplaces is down, is there an alternative site for it?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

It was a different age, lower standards. It was impressive as hell if you could just get your lovely quake machinima working, having actual *jokes* was a crazy plus. Who cares if they're good? Lol.

I still hold up The Seal of Nehahra as one of the greatest machinima projects of all loving time. But if you go back now and try to watch it, the audio quality is just loving horrendous. Its like everybody is shouting their lines, and they're halfway through swallowing the microphone while they do it. Nehahra is pretty funny though, and at times has good comedic timing. (Phil!) Othertimes not so much.

I also like Nehahra a lot because it actually explains the Quake backstory through cutscenes, which back in the Quake days was just something written on the inside of the manual.

Wait Quake had a plot, what was it?

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

xanthan posted:

You are a marine ranger, who faces evil stuff fighting your way through an array of teleporters slipgates, ultimately facing The Icon of Sin Shub Niggurath in the climatic battle, with only your trusty shotgun and plasma rifle Thunderbolt at your side.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

xanthan posted:

It was pretty much the same as Doom: Military experiments with teleporter technology (Id had a real hard-on for teleporters, didn't they?), bad things come through, you're the sole survivor, etc. etc. go shoot a flesh tree.

Mill Village posted:

The site for Darkplaces is down, is there an alternative site for it?
Icculus.org had a hard disk failure, they're currently copying over a backup. It'll be back up soon.

The developer of Russian Overkill has released a pack of leftovers that were cut from the mod and its expansion. I haven't tried it yet, but it promises "Yeast Grenades".

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

That Ignorant Sap posted:

You are a marine ranger, who faces evil stuff fighting your way through an array of teleporters slipgates, ultimately facing The Icon of Sin Shub Niggurath in the climatic battle, with only your trusty shotgun and plasma rifle Thunderbolt at your side.

So Doom only instead of them teleporting to where YOU are you teleport to where they are and it's whatever the hell Shub Niggurath is.Cthulhu Mythos crap.

Does Niggurath sound racist to anyone else?

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 19, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

xanthan posted:

It's from the Cthulu mythos, and considering what Lovecraft named his black cat...

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

xanthan posted:

Nope. Shub-Niggurath is a real fake name from the Cthulhu Mythos.

e: :argh:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Nope. Shub-Niggurath is a real fake name from the Cthulhu Mythos.

e: :argh:

Then again, the Cthulhu Mythos manages to sound pretty racist itself.

Oh no, I got beaten to the Lovecraft cat joke.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

xanthan posted:

Basically what other people said, the military was experimenting with slipgates (on earth instead of mars, so different from doom!) There was a malfunction and they got sent to some weird other dimension, they went through to set up an outpost and found monsters and got murdered, the monsters went back through the slipgate and murdered lots of people.

You're the sole survivor marine surrounded by monsters. You have to go from slipgate to slipgate trying to kill everything.

That's why one minute you're in a techbase, and the next minute your'e in a medieval castle, and the next minute you're just in some hellhole. The idea is you're constantly warping around between the military bases on Earth and the different castles / wastelands in the monster dimension, trying to find which slipgate will lead you to the final boss. Its easier to just run through all the slipgates than to try to redirect one of them, right? You're no scientist.

So, its actually both Doom and Half-Life's stories combined, and HL didn't come out until much later.
Nehahra adds some extra flavor though that I like.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 19, 2013

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I thought the plot of Quake was "id made 3/4 of a fantasy game, then decided it wasn't working and added some tried and true stuff from Doom and a couple of text scrolls to hold it all together".

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
As I have the Quake CD sitting nearby...

Quake Manual posted:

Background: You get the phone call at 4 a.m. By 5:30 you're in the secret installation. The commander explains tersely, "It's about the Slipgate device. Once we perfect these, we'll be able to use them to transport people and cargo from one place to another instantly.
"An enemy, codenamed Quake, is using his own slipgates to insert death squads inside our bases to kill, steal, and kidnap...
"The hell of it is we have no idea where he's from. Our top scientists think Quake's not from Earth, but another dimension. They say Quake's preparing to unleash his real army, whatever that is.
"You're our best man. This is Operation Counterstrike and you're in charge. Find Quake, and stop him... or it... You have full authority to requisition anything you need. If the eggheads are right, all our lives are expendable..."

Prelude to Destruction: While scouting the neighborhood, you hear shots back at the base. drat, that Quake bastard works fast! He heard about Operation Counterstrike, and hit first. Racing back, you see the place is overrun. You are almost certainly the only survivor. Operation Counterstrike is over. Except for you.
You know that the heart of the installation holds a slipgate. Since Quake's killers came through, it is still set to his dimension. You can use it to get loose in his hometown. Maybe you can get to the rear end in a top hat personally. You pump a round into your shotgun, and get moving.

I love that this means absolutely nothing. The bad guy in the game isn't even called 'Quake' :effort:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
And this is why they actually have actual writers at game studios nowadays.

gooby on rails posted:

I thought the plot of Quake was "id made 3/4 of a fantasy game, then decided it wasn't working and added some tried and true stuff from Doom and a couple of text scrolls to hold it all together".
Basically, yeah. Quake worked out remarkably well for something slapped together out of the husk of an abandoned game, though at the cost of tearing the Doom team apart. :(

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Convex posted:

As I have the Quake CD sitting nearby...

I love that this means absolutely nothing. The bad guy in the game isn't even called 'Quake' :effort:

I don't know, for a slapped together plot it sounds pretty good. Hell it could even work semiwell for a stealth game OR an action game.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Kins posted:

And this is why they actually have actual writers at game studios nowadays.
Basically, yeah. Quake worked out remarkably well for something slapped together out of the husk of an abandoned game, though at the cost of tearing the Doom team apart. :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
They never did manage to do an Ultima ripoff. Weird, seeing how into Ultima and D&D they were.