Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
She's dead, I started a new save :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Do unique monsters Ogres/Cyclops/Griffins spawn in the wild after you do the corresponding Ambush/Kill all monster quests from exploring?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Harlock posted:

Do unique monsters Ogres/Cyclops/Griffins spawn in the wild after you do the corresponding Ambush/Kill all monster quests from exploring?

Everything respawns after a few days, with the exception of you and a few story npcs.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Static Rook posted:

Added my info to the PS3 doc. I took a couple weeks off from games for the new year, but now I'm back and working on this one. My pawn Jazzy is actually a decent little tank now thanks to titties/Mr_Dread hooking her up.

I'm glad I could help. I tried to find a good balance of gear that would be useful but not so good that you wouldn't be able to replace it until the playthrough 2 endgame.

Still, depending on your luck you might be using some of that stuff until level 40.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Static Rook posted:

Added my info to the PS3 doc. I took a couple weeks off from games for the new year, but now I'm back and working on this one. My pawn Jazzy is actually a decent little tank now thanks to titties/Mr_Dread hooking her up. I think I have her up to Level 21 or so. Any must have abilities for a Fighter pawn? I just bought Stone Skin and Sinew and the second version of the skyward slice (I forget the name). I've been abusing murder-chan and Caroline's help, so now I'm switching it up to some lower level goon pawns. Right now I've got Urist and Merlin (okay, not totally low level) and I'm running around finishing up Notice Board quests. I just wish I had better items to give pawns when I dismiss them.

I'll also be cycling through pawns to get that "use 70 pawns" trophy soon, so if your pawns come back with nothing I apologize in advance. I'll give them something good later, I swear!

Cool. I was using Jazzy for a while until she fell out of level for me, but even her at level 13 she was kicking rear end with the rest of us into our 20s, so I can't wait to replace the current :siren:non-dwarf:siren: pawn I rented with Jazzy again.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Gildiss posted:

Well, a loaded goon could give your pawn some port crystals as severance pay. That's what I did for my sorc character and it made that newgame play through very nice.

This is usually what I do-Wakestones are a dime a dozen for high level folks but are valuable to lowbies. Ferrystones are a good default gift. Port crystals are usually granted on request. I admit I like the long travel in this game due to the damned beautiful world-I mean there's so much I see that I want them to add on in expansions and I love how you can see places like Bluemoon from near Cassardis, etc. But, it did feel good to finally get my port crystal network set up later on. I kinda liked earning it.

Also Ur-Dragon weapons make fun gifts. My main and pawn have the ones they want-so often I was giving away the longsword and mage staff(the names escape me) to pawns, since for some reason they were dropping tons. (Sadly, I have a ton of the Mystic Knight maces, but can't gift those.)

I'm wondering if Dark Arisen-since they mention an island-will be the mass of land you can see from Gransys when you look over the ocean? Hell, I'd be happy if they keep throwing just more and more areas onto the place in expansions. Gransys looked kinda small at first but I was pleasantly surprised when I started running around it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I usually gift an assortment of wine to pawns I send away. I brew the stuff myself. It tastes great and restores health!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
So anyone on PS3 have a 25-30 pawn they want me to cart around for a while? I can't promise I'll give them anything cool (you kids like rocks, right), but I'll take good care of them.

Electric Slug
Oct 30, 2011
If they made it so two handed weapons get 6 active skills I would buy the expansion and, like, 4 copies. Come on guys, the skills are really cool, and then you only let me use 3 of them! I want to murder goblins with style. :mad:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

kirbysuperstar posted:

So anyone on PS3 have a 25-30 pawn they want me to cart around for a while? I can't promise I'll give them anything cool (you kids like rocks, right), but I'll take good care of them.

I've got Urist if you need a fighter. I've trained him to make use of the one stab move where they shake the sword inside the target doing loads of damage. He does it against zombies all the time, as well as against goblins and bandits. He's also pretty good at climbing up cyclopses!

Electric Slug posted:

If they made it so two handed weapons get 6 active skills I would buy the expansion and, like, 4 copies. Come on guys, the skills are really cool, and then you only let me use 3 of them! I want to murder goblins with style. :mad:

I'd settle for just being able to block or cancel out of an attack, having 6 skills at my disposal as a warrior would be beyond awesome.

i do NOT like BBQ
Jun 2, 2008
My thoughts on hard mode are mixed at this juncture. On one hand, I love the challenge and the increased rate of money and xp. On the other hand, getting one shotted by random stuff at level 50 is annoying as poo poo. I was trying to even my stats up but that isn't happening, now I'm just trying to get my life up as quickly as I can. Is anybody else having the same problem or is that just me?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shima Honnou posted:

I've got Urist if you need a fighter. I've trained him to make use of the one stab move where they shake the sword inside the target doing loads of damage. He does it against zombies all the time, as well as against goblins and bandits. He's also pretty good at climbing up cyclopses!

Sounds good. I could have used him when I did the goblin-fortress quest, it seems. That was a half hour battle in the dark in which my pawns and I barely survived several times (Oh good work Rain, fall off the wall AGAIN so I can bolt down the entire complex and revive you) but it was completely awesome.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Say, there is a gate behind the top of blue moon tower, how do you open it up?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Squidicus posted:

My thoughts on hard mode are mixed at this juncture. On one hand, I love the challenge and the increased rate of money and xp. On the other hand, getting one shotted by random stuff at level 50 is annoying as poo poo. I was trying to even my stats up but that isn't happening, now I'm just trying to get my life up as quickly as I can. Is anybody else having the same problem or is that just me?

I've had the same issue, but you can actually mitigate the bullshit one-shot kills that smaller enemies can do using Warrior augments. You'll still get one-shot by mages and bigger things or stronger things, but your average hobgoblin won't be destroying you instantly anymore.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The optional(I think?) boss in Blue Moon Tower was actually really hard for me on normal--is he going to be even beatable on Hard? Sounds like there's lots of instant death going around.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

You can hit up Harlockian for my Vocation level 8 Strider Pawn. She's good at close combat.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Lotish posted:

The optional(I think?) boss in Blue Moon Tower was actually really hard for me on normal--is he going to be even beatable on Hard? Sounds like there's lots of instant death going around.

You have to be literally perfect against certain enemies. If a cyclops hits you with the club, you're dead. If you take a hit from a raging ogre, you're dead. If a chimera smacks you, you're dead. Dire wolf lunge? Dead. A mage powering up ice or fire magic? You better believe that'll kill you dead. You have to play smart and play perfectly; save A LOT. Use the start -> select "quick"save option any time you're coming up on an enemy you know can insta-kill you. You rely on your pawns a load more, since they seem to take normal difficulty damage instead of hard difficulty damage - let them tank while you do damage.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
I haven't gotten a chance to try Hard Mode yet-but I'm guessing to feel the real effect of it, I should probably start a second game on my other account? I'm getting the impression that a set of level 140s aren't going to see a *huge* difference. (I imagine a couple Evenfall rooms may get hairier.) About what level does Hard Mode end up a roflstomp like Normal?

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
I just got Dragon's Dogma for the 360 and it's pretty cool, but tough as gently caress. I'm fighting bandits at the road to the Witchwood and loving christ the sword and shield bandits are way overpowered in health, attack, and defense. On top of that they have no flinching animation which makes them REALLY hard. I'm currently rolling with my fighter pawn and two mages. Should I post my pawn up?

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

Blackray Jack posted:

I just got Dragon's Dogma for the 360 and it's pretty cool, but tough as gently caress. I'm fighting bandits at the road to the Witchwood and loving christ the sword and shield bandits are way overpowered in health, attack, and defense. On top of that they have no flinching animation which makes them REALLY hard. I'm currently rolling with my fighter pawn and two mages. Should I post my pawn up?

There's a stat in this game called stagger power, and that dictates your ability to flinch baddies. The further you enhance your weapons, the more they stagger. Sometimes it behooves you to roll with a slightly weaker 3-star over a moderately powerful 1-star.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Blackray Jack posted:

Oddly enough I haven't had much bother with those particular ones, but that might be because one of my hired pawns appears to be wearing some kind of DLC royal armour and has some funky weaponry. They do seem to flinch if you are a fighter with that upgraded charge move, too.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Dr Snofeld posted:

Oddly enough I haven't had much bother with those particular ones, but that might be because one of my hired pawns appears to be wearing some kind of DLC royal armour and has some funky weaponry. They do seem to flinch if you are a fighter with that upgraded charge move, too.

Those guys are huge loving assholes and it's really jarring because they're probably the toughest thing you encounter early on and there's no reason why you'd expect it. You'd expect an ogre to be tough. You can reasonably expect a pack of lizardmen to be kind of tough. Those shield guys are just ridiculous.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Blackray Jack posted:

What level are you? I struggled with those guys for a bit, left, and came back at level 11 or so and was able to beat them. They are way harder than you expect though.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Alright, so I'm about level 20 or so. How much should I worry about switching my vocations to round out my stats? I know I should be grabbing augments and such from the different vocations, but should I worry about my stats to a large degree?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Azaael posted:

I haven't gotten a chance to try Hard Mode yet-but I'm guessing to feel the real effect of it, I should probably start a second game on my other account? I'm getting the impression that a set of level 140s aren't going to see a *huge* difference. (I imagine a couple Evenfall rooms may get hairier.) About what level does Hard Mode end up a roflstomp like Normal?

Hard mode seems pretty much made for characters that have beaten the game, and it makes a large difference for level 70-80 characters. I don't know about level 140, but your stat progression does lower a lot post-100.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Funny, I have more stagger power than my fighter, and I'm rolling with some level three weapons. Right now I and my party are all around level 10ish and I somehow made it to the witchwood in regards to a quest. Wish me luck!

EDIT: Ugh, it seems gold is at a premium in this game. As a trade-off, upgraded items are actually useful when upgraded.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 22, 2013

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Be still my beating heart. How long has hardcore mode been out and does it give an actual challenge again??

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Mercedes posted:

Be still my beating heart. How long has hardcore mode been out and does it give an actual challenge again??
It's been out for maybe a month or two, and not really. It ups damage dealt by monsters, stamina consumption on your part, and probably HP/Defenses of monsters. The return is getting rear end tons of gold, but besides that, there's nothing notable. You can try it out if you'd like, it is free, after all~

Mumblyfish
Jul 22, 2007
Senselessly gorgeous.

Shadow225 posted:

Alright, so I'm about level 20 or so. How much should I worry about switching my vocations to round out my stats? I know I should be grabbing augments and such from the different vocations, but should I worry about my stats to a large degree?
The only attributes that matter are strength and magic. The best defense by far is murdering the living gently caress out of things before they can react, and hard mode doesn't give a poo poo about your defensive stats anyway.

I'd say that the difference between "optimal" stats and stats allocated by leveling in random classes is night and day, and it only becomes more apparent as the levels climb and the +% augments kick in. But that's speaking as someone who likes min-maxing in RPGs. I suppose it's down to preference, really. Just how much do you care about having The Best character?

An aside on stats, and deciding what's important and what is not: If you are a melee class and your weapon is enchanted (as it should be, either permanently or by a Pawn) then your magic stat is added to your damage. That's why Magick Archers are really weak; they're stuck dealing damage tied only to their magic attribute, where every other physical class is putting out damage tied to both strength and magic. But that doesn't mean you should level both attributes equally; ideally have one as high as you can make it to get the most out of augments that increase stats by a percentage amount. Just remember that if you find equipment or augments that raise magic, you want them even as a melee character.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Nahxela posted:

It's been out for maybe a month or two, and not really. It ups damage dealt by monsters, stamina consumption on your part, and probably HP/Defenses of monsters. The return is getting rear end tons of gold, but besides that, there's nothing notable. You can try it out if you'd like, it is free, after all~

Son of a bitch. All I wanted was a proper new game +

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Mercedes posted:

Son of a bitch. All I wanted was a proper new game +
It's pretty much 1/2 of a Dark Souls NG+ if you start it with a previously cleared character. Things hit extremely hard. The downside is that they also upped stamina costs so it's kind of aggravating to play. Not sure why they added that particular bit but there you go.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen any weapons with status effects on them other than the upgraded rusty weapons? There don't really seem to be any that I've found.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Emong posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen any weapons with status effects on them other than the upgraded rusty weapons? There don't really seem to be any that I've found.

Golden weapons cause silence, if I remember correctly. That's about it.

i do NOT like BBQ
Jun 2, 2008

Shadow225 posted:

Adding to what mumblyfish said, the wiki has a list of the stats you'll get during levels. http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Stat_Growths

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Holy poo poo this game. I'm in the dungeon under Gran Soren and I encountered my first giant. The thing seemed nigh invulnerable until I leapt on it and started stabbing it in the face over and over with my daggers, but even that seemed to be doing little damage as it mostly flailed around and tried to hit us. We kept our distance and after recovering my stamina I leapt on it again and started stabbing it in the head over and over a second time. This time however, it's flailing wound us taking us both over the edge, plummeting all the way down to the bottom of the dungeon with me stabbing it the entire time. It died and I somehow survived. :black101:

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
So, am I the only person that took the alternate path in Everfall that lets you just walk around the Ogre?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

I recently discovered that with high enough health and that augment that halves fall damage you can just jump down to the bottom of the Everfall from relatively high up.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I used that Augment for quite a while. I like jumping off things if I don't have to walk around a bunch of stuff, like that one place near the Blighted Manse.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

So, is it normal for a party of fresh level 50 to be dealing negligible damage to the Ur-Dragon? Even my sorcerer pawn is not dealing much damage with her spells, when she normally takes huge chunks off any other bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Weissritter posted:

So, is it normal for a party of fresh level 50 to be dealing negligible damage to the Ur-Dragon? Even my sorcerer pawn is not dealing much damage with her spells, when she normally takes huge chunks off any other bosses.

If it's the online one then yes, you are going to do barely any damage unless you are a level 100+ assassin running the solo and nighttime bonus augments.

I haven't played for a few months but it was generation 20-something on xbox I think and I could barely scratch it online with an assassin (wasn't using the augments).

• Locked thread