Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I feel really, really sorry for the poor minimum-wage Subway employees that will soon have terrible people costumed as homestucks yelling at them :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

DontMockMySmock posted:

I feel really, really sorry for the poor minimum-wage Subway employees that will soon have terrible people costumed as homestucks yelling at them :(

Please, most people are classy enough to not go to a job interview in full costume, right?

Right?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I gave waaaaaaay too much money to the Homestuck kickstarter, but I'm still not mad enough to buy the Dave Strider sig.

Still, let's do this thing.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ablative posted:

Please, most people are classy enough to not go to a job interview in full costume, right?

Right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyFXNMVbO5Q

:smith:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Huh. I didn't put this here...

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

toxic8aker posted:

Schadenfreude.

I see your Schadenfreude and raise you Gesamptkuntzwerk(total work of art).

Tad off topic, but this guy's video about Dark Souls explains the word better than I could.

Akett fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 21, 2013

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Feranon posted:

Someday SBaHJ will be viewed as a cornerstone of 21st century literature. It may even become the book of scripture for a new religion, like that star trek cult from futurama.

Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff's Excellent Adventure would be amazing. And completely incomprehensible.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Ablative posted:

Right?

I think he's referring to the "coupon."

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
kc green made a "recut" of the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXFvqrRJmI8

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Spikey posted:

I think he's referring to the "coupon."

Regardless, people ought to have some shame.

Granted, I've seen well enough to know that a lot of them don't, a man can still hope.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
God dammit, the SBAHJ book better not sell out before I can get cash into my bank account. D:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I bought it for too much money and I feel bad.

However, if he fills my request, I won't feel so bad.

(I requested a Humanimals comic.)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Wait, request? I didn't see a request option. Unless you mean the Topatoco request/instruction box, which is for the (not-mspa-affiliated) warehouse packers.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Oh, Dirk, Dirk, Dirk.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I guess when Dirk is pushed too far out of his comfort zone he just shuts down.

Welp.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
God that Dirk is such a Mary Sue isn't he? :allears:

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

YEAH DOGG!!!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Dirk is seriously the loving best and TBH I don't think I can stand the sight of another hater

net cafe scandal fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 21, 2013

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
But seriously, was it ever in doubt that Dirk was going to go Trickster? Like, did anyone honestly expect him to not do it?

Edit: Also, I'm loving the exaggerated frown on his face just before he goes for the kiss. It is amazing.

Plom Bar fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 21, 2013

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

But seriously, was it ever in doubt that Dirk was going to go Trickster? Like, did anyone honestly expect him to not do it?

Edit: Also, I'm loving the exaggerated frown on his face just before he goes for the kiss. It is amazing.

Between the glasses, the eyebrows, and the cartoony frown, I'm suddenly getting a very Johnny Bravo impression from Dirk. That, and the 'I'm way too cool for this'.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Haha I had a feeling that Dirk would sort of just give up and go for it.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Dorroile posted:

If that's a SBAHJ book, then it better be printed really loving sloppily, with some pages upside down, others missing colors, and some pages replaced entirely with Garfield strips.

Also, Dirk is a Good Character, that is my contribution to Dirkchat for now, thank you for reading it.

PS: I am literally hoping for this.

Hello from the future, both of your wishes have been granted!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
God drat, that second to last face. I wanted to make an emote for it, but I just don't have the skills.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

arquius posted:

You there. Small servant with the umbrella
Fetch me a towel at once

God i love this

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
So does this mean all the Alpha kids are going to get married to each other? Do polygamy laws even exist on Derse?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The original kids are going to get the paradox space equivalent of walking in on your parents having sex.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Dirk's face in the second to last panel. It's so wonderful :allears:

I had a feeling Dirk wasn't going to get forcibly Trickstered; he was going to have to learn to go "Okay, what the gently caress, fine."

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So now my two questions become:

a) What the hell is Trickster-Dirk going to act like?
b) Will Gamzee get Trickstered? He's the only remaining player currently in the session. Oh, I suppose the Batterwitch would count, too.
b part 2) Since Gamzee is calmed down "forever" thanks to Karkat, would Trickster Gamzee be exactly the same, except unkillable?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Plom Bar posted:

I was holding out hope that was clearly misplaced.

You let me down, Strider. I fuckin' loved you man, and you just gave up. :smith:

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
These updates are amazing. :allears:

Off topic, but has anyone seen this? It seems to be an automatic framework for setting up custom sburb sessions, with strifing and basic alchemizing, and looks pretty cool, if barebones. I created a "goons" session (pass: lljk) if people want to do this. Name is the same as on here.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Dirk loving loathes himself, I'm frankly shocked he put up this much resistance to having his higher mental processes effectively hijacked by the mother of all sugar rushes.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 21, 2013

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I think this is the most intense emotion we've seen from a strider (visually, anyway).

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Any update with more Arquiusprite is a great update in my book. Motherfucker loves those horses.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What does Dirk do when he doesn't feel in control of his situation? He desperately insists that he is cool because he has a katana. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you your Mary Sue and his master plan to make everybody simmer down.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

So I guess because Roxy is drunk, that will allow the voidy stuff to go down for long enough for Rose and all those guys to find their way in?

Aaaaaannnny second now...

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I think it's pretty telling that he just gave in. He WANTS to clock Roxy but he doesn't. But when it was just him with a bunch of strangers, he saves DreamRoxy without blinking an eye. And when he was by himself, he had no problem committing suicide to achieve a goal. I think he's got big issues with stage fright and can't handle himself when under pressure.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Bongo Bill posted:

What does Dirk do when he doesn't feel in control of his situation? He desperately insists that he is cool because he has a katana. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you your Mary Sue and his master plan to make everybody simmer down.

But that's exactly the point of his character. Just like Dave was trapped in his ironic, cool-kid persona until he learned to overcome it, so too is Dirk trapped in his Anime, ultra-badass persona. And just like Dave, underneath all that is an insecure, kinda self-doubting teenager, just in Dirk's case there's also the self-loathing from him realising his Anime persona sucks. This is why I don't know why people don't like Dirk. He's basically Dave, just taken to a larger extreme, both in his cool-kid persona, and his fragile true self.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Desfore posted:

But that's exactly the point of his character. Just like Dave was trapped in his ironic, cool-kid persona until he learned to overcome it, so too is Dirk trapped in his Anime, ultra-badass persona. And just like Dave, underneath all that is an insecure, kinda self-doubting teenager, just in Dirk's case there's also the self-loathing from him realising his Anime persona sucks. This is why I don't know why people don't like Dirk. He's basically Dave, just taken to a larger extreme, both in his cool-kid persona, and his fragile true self.

We're in agreement here. Well, there's more to it. I'm about to embarrass myself here.

Dirk's a classic control freak. He needs to feel like he knows why everything is happening, even if it's unpleasant; there needs to be some reason, some plan. Irony is how he creates a reason for everything he does. He plans things meticulously, so that he can think of everything he does as being according to a plan. When he doesn't know what to do, he doesn't want to think about it. This, of course, stands to reason - he may have grown up alone and miserable in an orange soda-infested apartment in the middle of the ocean, but as long as that extremely bad situation serves some purpose, he can live with it. Tendentiously, he quickly grows restless and uncomfortable when things are out of his hands; consider his admonitions to Roxy that she stop sleepwalking, his coordinating everybody's entry, the way he smothers Jake, and now, the way he freaks the gently caress out when his friends show up insane, candy-coated, and trying to smooch him. Desperately, he falls back first on describing what is happening in an unflattering manner, then on acting aloof and dangerous, then finally just giving up.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Bobulus posted:

a) What the hell is Trickster-Dirk going to act like?
Good loving question. What does the ultimate ironic cynic character do when he's stripped of all power of subversion, and is forced to be entirely straightforward and open. Every iota of Dirk's existence is antithetical to Trickster Mode. What is there of Dirk that can survive the transformation?

My bet would be all to sincere attempts at rap, or ponies. Or both at once.

Trickster Mode is a hell of a drug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I think it's kinda nice how AR is happy, now. Sure, it's weird as hell what caused him to be happy, but it is Dirk we are talking here.

Also, re: SBAHJ book. gently caress it. I'm getting a promotion this year and people have spent $100 on more retarded things. gently caress it.