Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

The Kins posted:

They never did manage to do an Ultima ripoff. Weird, seeing how into Ultima and D&D they were.

Excuse me, you are forgetting about the greatest fps of all time:

Its actually really funny, because if you look at how Daikatana expects you to play it, and how Left 4 Dead plays, they are basically the same sort of FPS. One just has the advantage of having a working AI engine that makes the swarms of small guys and the coop play possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If you have a beefy computer, RC1 of the second ZDoom Community Map Project is released. You can grab it here. You need ZDoom 2.6.1 or a development build of GZDoom.

More info here or here; but before following any link to :siren: realm667.com, disable JavaScript :siren: because that site has been infected with iframe injectors several times in the last few months so I wouldn't trust it too much.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

If you have a beefy computer, RC1 of the second ZDoom Community Map Project is released. You can grab it here. You need ZDoom 2.6.1 or a development build of GZDoom.

More info here or here; but before following any link to :siren: realm667.com, disable JavaScript :siren: because that site has been infected with iframe injectors several times in the last few months so I wouldn't trust it too much.

Goddamn. For those who were just skimming, this is a single-level collaboration between 19 of the best and brightest mappers (led by Tormentor667) in the Doom scene, plus a dozen more for music, weapons, graphical modding and new enemies.

It is a very big level.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 20, 2013

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

gooby on rails posted:

I thought the plot of Quake was "id made 3/4 of a fantasy game, then decided it wasn't working and added some tried and true stuff from Doom and a couple of text scrolls to hold it all together".

And y'know, there are some good things about that. This article is not written by me but I like the cut of its jib: http://www.lunaran.com/page.php?id=200

At least some of that has to be post-facto justification of something that we like nostalgically, but I think there's a kernel of truth.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I agree with quite a bit of that. You can see the result of the opposite viewpoint in a game like Bulletstorm, which spends a lot time justifying how the planet came to be full of psycho mutants and why you get points for shooting a guy in the rear end and it just feels like deadweight and tonal dissonance.

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

Bulletstorm is an interesting case because on one hand you have the devs from People Can Fly, who were happy with a Doom/Quake-style premise in Painkiller: You are a guy fighting ridiculous demons and here are some guns, have fun. On the other hand you have Epic's influence, with their odd plot justifications for gameplay elements in the Unreal and Gears of War games (Unreal 3 was particularly bad about this from what I remember). I can't imagine how awful Bulletstorm would have been if they hadn't played it as a comedy.

Add me to the list of people who never opened the Quake manual and had no idea what the story was supposed to be about.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

deadpan posted:

Epic's influence, with their odd plot justifications for gameplay elements in the Unreal and Gears of War games (Unreal 3 was particularly bad about this from what I remember)

I loved how (edit: in UT3) they tied both the small amount of players per team and the respawn system together into the plot element of "We could send armies to fight and die on the battlefields, but gently caress it, let's just keep sending the same dozen hand-picked psychos over and over"

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Dominic White posted:

Goddamn. For those who were just skimming, this is a single-level collaboration between 19 of the best and brightest mappers (led by Tormentor667) in the Doom scene, plus a dozen more for music, weapons, graphical modding and new enemies.

It is a very big level.

I just sat down to play this. I didn't expect "very big" to mean "four hour mega-adventure" but there you go.

It's pretty good for the most part, but pretty much every new enemy is an obnoxious gently caress. The last part of the game was rear end. The final boss was, well, whatever, and then the escape from Hell bit was so terrible with all of the flying assholes that poison you. Most of the new big enemies (Cybruisers, Angels of Death, etc) have far too much health to be any fun. Basically the first 3/4 of the game was great, and then you get to the dig site and Hell and it just blows. Also, 10 seconds to reload the map every time I died (and I died a lot, it's really hard) wasn't so much fun.

Still, a drat cool effort, to be sure.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

DoombatINC posted:

I loved how (edit: in UT3) they tied both the small amount of players per team and the respawn system together into the plot element of "We could send armies to fight and die on the battlefields, but gently caress it, let's just keep sending the same dozen hand-picked psychos over and over"

Yep. File that one under "something literally no one has cared about ever."

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

DoombatINC posted:

I miss the TV sports/prowrestling theme from the previous UT games.

I also miss the "good game" theme from the previous UT games :v:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Pretty interesting thing about the ZDoom Community Map 2. It has two hidden difficulties above UV.

The first one is basically UV 2, in that it has more monsters and accelerated monster placement (you'll see Vores near the beginning of the game :gonk:) and 50% more ammo, but that's it.

The second one is basically UV 2 -fast, but there are additional weapons in addition to 100% more ammo -- I found an auto shotgun real early on that just tears dudes up. This map is really good in the beginning.

I'm not far along in it on whatever this hidden difficulty 2 is, mostly because I can't get past the aforementioned Vores :(

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I just realized that I never played the original ZDoom Community Map from way back in 2004. It won a Cacoward.

It should be an interesting point of reference for how far the community and the engine has come in almost a decade.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Johnny Law posted:

Hey ho got another Quake map recommendation.

Something Wicked This Way Comes: http://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/something_wicked.html

(too dark?)

This is an experiment of sorts with the new-ish "BSP2" format. It's a super-large map that came out of some work toward earlier maps. I was skeptical about a cobbled together giant Frankenstein map but IMO it's a pretty impressive construction really. It also uses the Drake mod to add some new monsters which work pretty well in a Quake-ish setting. I had a lot of fun fighting through it on Hard mode.

It's Quake so there's key-hunting and criss-crossing back and forth through this giant swiss-cheese fortress structure. One little bit of cleverness to help with this, although it comes across as a bit artificial, is the way that arrow symbols light up to point you in the general direction of the next door to unlock. You also unlock various shortcuts as you go. It's obvious that there was a bit of a struggle to try to keep people from being terribly lost. (But I don't mind getting a little lost.)

There's a big arena fight at the end which I wasn't a superfan of, but eh whatever.

Edit: oh yeah and there's over thirty secrets. :iia:

The catch is, because this is using BSP2, most Quake engines can't handle it. Pay attention to the stuff on that webpage that says that you need the latest/experimental build of RMQ or FTEQW. I had some problems getting hold of the right RMQ so I used the experimental FTEQW client (from Dec 2012): http://www.fteqw.com/ftedownloads/experimental

If you're using FTEQW and you have the files for this map/mod in the "wicked" folder, then to play it you would:

- start FTEQW
- open the console
- enter "gamedir wicked"
- to start, enter "map wickedstart" ... otherwise just ESC back out of the console and load your savegame

I've got a few more architecture screenshots as the most recent 5 or so on my Steam profile, although if you're gonna play this thing you should wait and see stuff yourself: http://steamcommunity.com/id/jlaw/screenshots/?appid=2310&sort=newestfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall&privacy=8

This is really neat - though an annoying thing about FTEQW is that I can't seem to scale the HUD. Did I just miss that option in the menus, or is it a console command?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
I may be misremembering, but FTEQW could be one of the engines that has a "2D resolution" in the video options menu?

If not you can fix it using the console, setting vid_conwidth and vid_conheight. See the "Widescreen" section, and particularly the "Console dimensions" part, of this guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=120426294

The TLDR is you could use this for a 16x9 display:
code:
vid_conwidth 864
vid_conheight 486
or this for 16x10:
code:
vid_conwidth 768
vid_conheight 480

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

I just sat down to play this. I didn't expect "very big" to mean "four hour mega-adventure" but there you go.

It's pretty good for the most part, but pretty much every new enemy is an obnoxious gently caress. The last part of the game was rear end. The final boss was, well, whatever, and then the escape from Hell bit was so terrible with all of the flying assholes that poison you. Most of the new big enemies (Cybruisers, Angels of Death, etc) have far too much health to be any fun. Basically the first 3/4 of the game was great, and then you get to the dig site and Hell and it just blows. Also, 10 seconds to reload the map every time I died (and I died a lot, it's really hard) wasn't so much fun.

Still, a drat cool effort, to be sure.

Can't say I had any real issues in the late-game, although I was given a bit of a boost by the final boss glitching out, bursting into flames and spontaneously dying.

As for the huge swarms during the escape segment? You did get the Soulrender cannon, right? A charged shot of that will literally kill ALL those little bastards in one shot. You don't even have to engage them.

As for the Cybruisers and AoD's, they only seemed to have a bit more health than a Baron, and had pretty dodgeable attacks. You don't need to fight too many of them, and I was drowning in ammo by the end. I was admittedly playing on Hurt Me Plenty.

You mentioned the hidden difficulty setting - they're there because there's a New Game+ system. Every time you beat it, it loops you back to the start with all your gear and on the next difficulty setting, so it'll eventually reach Fast Super Enemies + New Guns by playing normally.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Dominic White posted:

Can't say I had any real issues in the late-game, although I was given a bit of a boost by the final boss glitching out, bursting into flames and spontaneously dying.

As for the huge swarms during the escape segment? You did get the Soulrender cannon, right? A charged shot of that will literally kill ALL those little bastards in one shot. You don't even have to engage them.

As for the Cybruisers and AoD's, they only seemed to have a bit more health than a Baron, and had pretty dodgeable attacks. You don't need to fight too many of them, and I was drowning in ammo by the end. I was admittedly playing on Hurt Me Plenty.

Ammo is really, really tight on Ultra Violence, which is what I was playing on. I had to run past a lot of Cybruisers because I just didn't have the ammo to kill them.

I was almost entirely out of ammo after the final boss and had to snipe the Shadows and Soul Harvesters and whatever those poison assholes are with the rifle, which was tedious, to say the least. I did find the Soulrender, but like I said, I had burned off all my souls on the boss.

quote:

You mentioned the hidden difficulty setting - they're there because there's a New Game+ system. Every time you beat it, it loops you back to the start with all your gear and on the next difficulty setting, so it'll eventually reach Fast Super Enemies + New Guns by playing normally.

Well I didn't know it did that. I quit during the credits. :( That would explain why Soul Harvesters drop souls on difficulty 6 long before you find either weapon that uses them.

Starting fresh on difficulty 6 isn't so bad as long as you're not afraid to scum saves, because the sheer volume of Vores is complete bullshit. Every Revenant and Mancubus is replaced with Vores. :gonk: On the other hand, the doubled ammo means you have plenty of cells and rockets to kill AoDs and Cybruisers without much trouble.

I'm pretty sure Cybruisers have at least double the HP of Barons, and Angels of Death have more than that. Not to mention they are far more dangerous than Barons are, especially in more enclosed spaces.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I just took a look at the final section on UV, and they give you buttloads of souls during the escape. The trick with using the Soulrender is to aim as far away from the target as possible while still maintaining a line of sight from the projectile itself to the victims. A 20-30 soul shot will be able to kill maybe 20-30 smaller enemies if it doesn't hit a wall for a while.

That giant swarm of the poison-spitting flying enemies can be cleared completely with a single partially charged shot. It's a ridiculously overpowered gun.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 20, 2013

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Okay then. I didn't like it one way or another.

ETA: Finished the map on difficulty 6. I had to cheat through the boss fight because it's two Abaddons instead of one, which means you're constantly losing health from their Soulrender attacks and getting hit by their melee attacks is pretty much instant death. And they're attacking constantly. I went into the fight with full fuel, full cells, full souls, and 50 rockets, and was fully drained of all of them, so I don't know how the hell you're supposed to beat them unless there's a way to either cheese the fight or do damage to them in some other way. :confused:

Also, the poison enemies are apparently called Grells.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 20, 2013

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
I read the OP and Googled this but I could not find a "GZDoom for dummies" guide to run Ultimate Doom under Steam. I would appreciate any help. Here is what I did:

a) downloaded latest SVN of GZDoom as mentioned in the OP;
b) extracted all files to the \base doom directory (under steamapps\common\ultimate doom);
c) ran gzdoom from there - apparently this should show a popup menu telling me to select a .wad, but this never happened - it jumped right into doom and asked me to select an episode and difficulty level.

The game does seem to run a bit nicer, but overall I am not seeing that much of an improvement. Maybe I am expecting too much, but all this does it to make it look non-horribly pixelated.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

DoctorOfLawls posted:

I read the OP and Googled this but I could not find a "GZDoom for dummies" guide to run Ultimate Doom under Steam. I would appreciate any help. Here is what I did:

a) downloaded latest SVN of GZDoom as mentioned in the OP;
b) extracted all files to the \base doom directory (under steamapps\common\ultimate doom);
c) ran gzdoom from there - apparently this should show a popup menu telling me to select a .wad, but this never happened - it jumped right into doom and asked me to select an episode and difficulty level.

The game does seem to run a bit nicer, but overall I am not seeing that much of an improvement. Maybe I am expecting too much, but all this does it to make it look non-horribly pixelated.

GZDoom is not a high resolution texture pack or whatever. By default, without addons, you basically get regular old Doom at native resolution, with some bug fixes and without that weird warping effect that the Doom, Build and similar engines get when you look up and down.

There are enhancement mods like ReDoom and Beautiful Doom that may be more what you were hoping for, mods to smooth out the animations and so on, but I don't know which is held in better regard.

Is Ultimate Doom the only Doom engine game you have installed? That might explain why it didn't ask you to pick a game.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DoctorOfLawls posted:

c) ran gzdoom from there - apparently this should show a popup menu telling me to select a .wad, but this never happened

The IWAD selection box only appears if more than one IWAD is detected. It is only for selecting the IWAD (Ult. Doom vs. Doom II vs. Heretic, etc.); it is not a front-end to load PWADs and stuff.

Buy Doom II, Final Doom, Heretic, Hexen, and Hexen Deathkings if you want to get more IWADs from Steam. You can also get some (legitimately) free IWADs from other sources, as explained here.

You will probably want to read this and other pages of the ZDoom wiki.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Thanks for the info Dr Snofeld and Cat Mattress, I got it running perfectly now. Just a question, since the OP does not mention this: any recommended high-resolution textures/packs specific to Doom/Doom 2?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
(To avoid confusion: this post doesn't have anything to do with DoctorOfLawls' question. Just kind of similar by coincidence.)

TheJoker138 posted:

Hey, are there any mods for Quake and Quake 2 that improve them graphically like some of the Doom mods do?

Johnny Law posted:

Another possible thing to play with is the "Quake Epsilon" package ( http://www.xpfree.org/epsilon/ ) which includes the DarkPlaces engine and a buuuunch of new media. I should add a note about this to my engines guide. If you want to go with the "ultra" setting there, pay special attention to the performance-tweak note about reflecting_overload.pk3 ... even on a pretty beefy machine I had to disable the reflective glass to make it perform well.

Another "fancy Quake" bundle that I've found this weekend is "Quake HD": http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-talk/single-player/7306-quake-hd-new-spawns.html

This is basically doing the same sort of thing as Quake Epsilon so I couldn't really say why you might choose one or the other! But there it is. One nice thing about the Quake HD bundle is it comes with some instructions about how to tweak a few different features, and an easy setup for enabling transparent water.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Thanks for the info Dr Snofeld and Cat Mattress, I got it running perfectly now. Just a question, since the OP does not mention this: any recommended high-resolution textures/packs specific to Doom/Doom 2?

Actually I could take a crack at this too. :)

For example see this thread: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/59012-best-enhancement-wads/

ReDoom, Beautiful Doom, and Per Kristian's weapon animations are things I've used in the past to spice up Doom a bit without really changing the gameplay. IMO you don't really want/need a bunch of hi-res textures in Doom, especially not on the environment... it would look pretty odd with the low-poly world. But there are still ways to goose the audiovisuals.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Dr Snofeld posted:

Is Ultimate Doom the only Doom engine game you have installed? That might explain why it didn't ask you to pick a game.

I think that it doesn't pop up the selection box if there's only one IWAD in the current directory. If the games are installed on Steam, you should be able to extract it to its own directory (C:\games\gzdoom\ or however you want to do it) and have it automatically detect the Steam installations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Not just the current directory, it also checks the Steam paths as well as the DOOMWADDIR environment variable, if it is set, plus all the search directory added to its configuration file.

So if you have Ultimate Doom and another supported game from Steam, it'll detect both, automatically, regardless of where you've installed it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
:allears: comedy gold

Convex posted:

... This is Operation Counterstrike and you're in charge. Find Quake, and stop him... or it...
Okay that's just creepy.

And I love how even the writer isn't sure who Quake is. "stop him... or it..." Quake is Pat?!

Red_Mage posted:

Its actually really funny, because if you look at how Daikatana expects you to play it, and how Left 4 Dead plays, they are basically the same sort of FPS. One just has the advantage of having a working AI engine that makes the swarms of small guys and the coop play possible.

The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, they're the same, but in practice they're not. :cheeky:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 21, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Johnny Law posted:

And y'know, there are some good things about that. This article is not written by me but I like the cut of its jib: http://www.lunaran.com/page.php?id=200

At least some of that has to be post-facto justification of something that we like nostalgically, but I think there's a kernel of truth.

I've been saying that a ton about movies lately. On the one hand, you have recent hollywood's trend with dumbed down least common denominator movies, we better spell out the plot extra clear so nobody in the back gets left behind, movies like Harry Potter (not saying its a bad movie) where the main character acts as a stand-in for the audience to vicariously learn what's going on. What is all this?!? So Harry asks questions, and we the audience get answers.

Contrast that with a movie like Ghost in the Shell, my favorite example. GITS drops you in media res, right in the middle of the story already going on. They don't explain dick to you, you have to pay attention. They don't have to stop and say "look, its the future, there are cyborgs, this guy is probably a hacker, maybe these people are criminals?" No, it has the confidence to say, "We're going to put all these elements together and show you something as though it was real, and we're going to get the details right so that you should be able to understand just from watching." Its SO much better that way. Its not like lazy Sci-Fi, I don't get the feeling that the author of GITS couldn't come up with explanations (and the manga does go some more in detail), but rather that we didn't need to know them. In fact, there's so many tiny details in everything that you don't have time for, its a joy to discover them on repeat viewings and slowly realize more and more of how everything fits together in this world. You get the feeling that on the opposite, the author DID take the time to explain everything, but then kept it all a secret, and now you want to figure it out. Its so much more fun.

On top of that, there's the mystery angle. That article hits on it, that Hitchcock would rather not show you things and let your imagination play, because your imagination will always be better. The original Alien was a rubber suit, but you only ever saw brief glimpses in shadows, so it was frightening as hell. It could be anything, everything you didn't want it to be. It was a literal nightmare: imagined fear.

When everything is explained for you through game manuals and loading screen tips, it takes away a lot of the magic. Most of what I miss in MMOs is the mystery, games like Everquest and MUDs you have no idea what all is going on in the world. But modern games like WoW, they're designed to not let you get confused, to constantly inform you what you should do and funnel you forward to the next event. Its easy and relaxing, but its so less satisfying.

DoombatINC posted:

Don't forget the UT 2003/2004 era where they wanted it to be "hey guys, shooting and respawning is the new football!" Yeah, that's superior to modern sports in.. absolutely no way? :colbert:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 21, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
gently caress yes the UT3 intro with the dude punching the poo poo out of the pillar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b18Va6bl1Q4

...looks really goddamn bad now. Holy poo poo.

One thing I never liked about the UT 2k3/4 era were the Space Egyptian environments and teams. I always thought that was really cheesy and stupid and there was waaay too much of it.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Yodzilla posted:

gently caress yes the UT3 intro with the dude punching the poo poo out of the pillar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b18Va6bl1Q4

...looks really goddamn bad now. Holy poo poo.

That's the UT2k3/4 intro which is kind of adorable IMO. Compare to the UT3 intro which is blurry and gray and over-serious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j0XIQwmz08

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLbcXEPHExA

:allears:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Johnny Law posted:

That's the UT2k3/4 intro which is kind of adorable IMO. Compare to the UT3 intro which is blurry and gray and over-serious:

Look at all this bullshit. Gears of War really was the worst thing to happen to Epic. Was there an actual story arc in Unreal Tournament 3? I never beat single player due to your AI teammates being too goddamn stupid to live.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

To be honest, UT99 and 2k4 are my favourite arena FPS ever, as much as I like Quake 3, UT 99/2k4 had some team modes and had a lot more variety than Q3. Q3 is the best deathmatch ever at the other hand.

What can I say when I have this waking me up since phones support mp3 :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLgSo90JhAQ

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Guillermus posted:

To be honest, UT99 and 2k4 are my favourite arena FPS ever, as much as I like Quake 3, UT 99/2k4 had some team modes and had a lot more variety than Q3. Q3 is the best deathmatch ever at the other hand.

I probably put more time into the single map UT2k4 Onslaught demo than some full games.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I probably put more time into the single map UT2k4 Onslaught demo than some full games.
That was easily one of the best demos ever made for a game. Not only did it give you a good taste on how loving awesome the full game is, but it even let you play against people who bought the game (until the map changed assuming it played other maps).

I might have to reinstall the game now and see if people are still playing. My older brother who also loves the game said he checked a while back, but said it seemed like the game is mostly dead, which is too bad since it's one of the best mutliplayer FPSes to have ever come out (possibly better than TF2 in a number of ways despite being a few years older).

Also, while we're on the subject of music...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ-06FvaWbw
This song alone made Arctic Stronghold my favorite Onslaught map. :rock:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The best thing about UT 99/2k4 is that botmatches are really good, not a real substitute for proper mp but they do a good job even when you give them orders. I think it has something Epic got right but then hosed with UT3. I'd really love to play some Onslaught with goons just to gently caress around and have a laugh.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Guillermus posted:

I've been using this track in a custom music pack for Killing Floor (along with the best bits from the Doom 1, 2 and Final Doom soundtracks). It works so well on the new Moonbase map. I feel it's appropriate since KF started out as a UT2004 mod.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Unreal Tournament 99's OST is easily one of my favorite soundtracks. It's a well-balanced mix that's solid from start to finish. Nothing pretentious or inappropriate--just songs that seemed tailored to the maps that featured them.

There's super chill stuff, like "Forgone Destruction" (best known for "Facing Worlds") and its counterpart, "Skyward Fire".
Then there's killing spree stuff like "Run" and "Razorback", which has a somewhat slow build-up but, by the time people are getting slaughtered, is in full-swing.

Few OSTs make me want to stop what I'm doing and load up a game like this one. It's magical. :allears:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The Unreal and Unreal Tournament OST are pretty great for background programming music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Johnny Law posted:

That's the UT2k3/4 intro which is kind of adorable IMO. Compare to the UT3 intro which is blurry and gray and over-serious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j0XIQwmz08
Oh wow, I forgot how huge the Gears influence was in UT3. Hello, Marcus Fenix. :colbert:
:allears:

Yodzilla posted:

The Unreal and Unreal Tournament OST are pretty great for background programming music.
:dance: I think this'll be my jam for the week at work