Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

If you mean the new one with the single cylinder, they're pretty much equals. Similar power, weight, riding position, etc. The Honda has the option of ABS, which is definitely a benefit, though I've heard people saying you should learn to ride on something without it so you learn about proper threshold braking. Dunno what the expert opinion on that is.

I've heard this as well, many many times. I'm far from an expert, but this sounds like the bullshit someone who has never had an ABS bike would say. It is very noticeable when the ABS kicks in, the pulsing in the brake handle (or pedal) can't be mistaken for anything else. If anything, I'd say it makes it easier to practice proper braking, since you don't need to be afraid of locking a wheel and get a clear indicator (the pulsing handle) when you brake too hard. Sure, laying face down on the road is a clear indicator too, but come on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Yeah I'd agree with that. ABS isn't a detriment to learning, just a detriment to consequences.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I've heard this as well, many many times. I'm far from an expert, but this sounds like the bullshit someone who has never had an ABS bike would say. It is very noticeable when the ABS kicks in, the pulsing in the brake handle (or pedal) can't be mistaken for anything else. If anything, I'd say it makes it easier to practice proper braking, since you don't need to be afraid of locking a wheel and get a clear indicator (the pulsing handle) when you brake too hard. Sure, laying face down on the road is a clear indicator too, but come on...
I've ridden some bikes (BMW G650) with ABS where the system is amazingly nonintrusive, actually. Like, if you didn't know much about brakes, you might not really notice when it kicks in. This shouldn't take away from your point about the benefit of ABS, though. I think it might be the greatest single safety feature ever invented for bikes. I'm love that BMW is making it standard on all 2013+ models, and I hope every other manufacturer does too.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
When I rode a '10 K1300GT with the abs, I was getting into abs territory simply by casually dragging the rear brake around parking lots. Seemed weird to me, kind of put me off.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

^^ You shouldn't have even noticed it unless it was actively keeping the rear from locking.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I've heard this as well, many many times. I'm far from an expert, but this sounds like the bullshit someone who has never had an ABS bike would say.
It is.

ABS is a no-brainer if you have the option. So is traction control now IMHO.

The only reason I could even maybe give a legit negative to ABS... and this is a stretch... is some systems (My 1400 Concours for sure) gives you a linked braking system with the ABS which some people hate.

Personally, I like it, but I have heard others gripe about it.

I still remember testing a panic stop from about 80MPH just to try the ABS out. Absolutely blew me away with how effortless and controlled it was.

Edit: To be clear, this is coming from a guy with about 20+ years experience (some of it not so good) riding before hand.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 22, 2013

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Anyone have any advice on tall person friendly sport tourers? My Multistrada 1200 is being excessively Italian in the maintenance department and despite hours of work and hundreds of $ trying to eliminate it the wind buffeting is still unacceptable above 70MPH. I'm looking for a good long distance mount in the sub 700LBS range. The new FJR is on the table as well as the r1200rt. I'm hesitant to try another big dual sport and turn it into a road only bike after the wind buffeting issues I had with the duc. It'll probably be a few months before I can afford to pull the trigger on something but I'm open to suggestions for what I should start looking at.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

2010+ Concours have a lot going for them

in my biased opinion

I wish they had OEM cruise, but that's about the only thing they're missing IMHO.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I don't know how tall you are but I sat on my friend's Concours 14 and it was pretty comfy for my 36" inseam. I'd assume the BMW would be equally as comfortable if not comfier.

That said, my Bandit has a taller windscreen and despite having only a 3/4 fairing, provides absolutely no buffeting upwards of 130mph. (:ninja:) I feel that any of the faired sport tourers would be fixable given you have the coin to spend on a proper adjustable screen. :)

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

slidebite posted:

2010+ Concours have a lot going for them

in my biased opinion

I wish they had OEM cruise, but that's about the only thing they're missing IMHO.

I actually got to test ride a 2012 C14 a few months ago. I was really looking forward to it because it's a motorcycle I really wanted to like. Unfortunately it ended up being the least favorite motorcycle I rode that day. Ergonomically it just didn't click. Too many things for my gigantic feet to hit and not enough room for my gigantic posterior to move around. I was also surprised by just how gutless the engine was down low. Granted I ride a big high performance twin and had just ridden a K1600gtl and a FJR which all have great low end performance but the C14 just felt horribly anemic for what should have been a fire breathing monster of an engine. I should see if I can swing a test ride on one that's had the flies pulled and exhaust worked on a bit, I see a lot of guys on the COG forums talking about that livening up the bottom end.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I've got an ECM flash and a slip on for mine. I certainly didn't feel it gutless on the low end even stock, but I also came from a ST1100 :D I certainly don't think its slow now either way.

That said, I have heard some similar feedback from others, including on this very forum, about your impressions. I've found it interesting because its stock performance times are very favorable compared to its competitors.

As for the feet, I've got size 13 flippers myself and never had an issue, but I guess that really depends on the footwear. I did find the OEM seat brutal and changed it to a Corbin and Smuggler which literally made all the difference in the world.

My bud has an 07 or 08 FJR and prefers my bike over his, but I've never ridden the newly refreshed FJR myself.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

KodiakRS posted:

The new FJR is on the table as well as the r1200rt.
R12RT is a lovely comfy bike for touring, but "sport" it ain't. Just FYI.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

R12RT is a lovely comfy bike for touring, but "sport" it ain't. Just FYI.

You may be surprised. It may not put out the HP numbers of the CRJ and the C14 and may look like a land barge but it weighs less than 600#. It's also has a relatively short wheelbase, decent cornering clearance, and surprisingly aggressive steering geometry. It's certainly not a sport bike, and I'm guessing it runs out of steam when you start to hit triple digits, but when compared to the rest of the "normal" ST bikes it's the one I'd pick for a quick blast down a canyon road.

urmomhasaids
Oct 6, 2009
I'm looking in my area for my first bike. My friend seems to have honed in to what I want - a cruising bike that is known to be mechanically reliable and I can get down I-94 with. Of the cheap starter bikes in my area, he recommended a 1982 Suzuki GS650L, saying he rides that comfortably around Lake Superior every summer. He specifically pointed to this bike here: http://www.cyclesalvage.net/cycle_images.php?make=suzuki&cycle=1144

I usually trust a lot about what my friend recommends, specifically on motorcycles. However, I have some reservations about this one. I have to admit, the price is definitely in the low end of my range, but I also am aware you probably pay for what you get. This leaves me vulnerable as I will be a new buyer relying solely on himself to make mechanical judgement calls. I also am having a hard time pulling coherent criticisms out what I am reading on the web, but I did notice that people seem to think the bike may be too top heavy for a first bike. For what it's worth, I also am 5'10" with a 32" inseam, so the ride height seems to be cutting it close.

Any thoughts on this bike being a first bike? What about this particular bike? Any issues you would worry about/expect? On the other hand, if anyone has an older klr650 they'd like to get rid of, you'd make all this moot :greatgift:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That bike looks like a good deal, I agree with your friend barring something disastrous.

With a 32" inseam you won't have any problems.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

KodiakRS posted:

You may be surprised. It may not put out the HP numbers of the CRJ and the C14 and may look like a land barge but it weighs less than 600#. It's also has a relatively short wheelbase, decent cornering clearance, and surprisingly aggressive steering geometry. It's certainly not a sport bike, and I'm guessing it runs out of steam when you start to hit triple digits, but when compared to the rest of the "normal" ST bikes it's the one I'd pick for a quick blast down a canyon road.
I dunno man, I've ridden em, and I like em, but they sure don't feel sporty.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I dunno man, I've ridden em, and I like em, but they sure don't feel sporty.

How much of that do you think is a consequence of the front end design? I'm looking in somewhat of the same market and several people have mentioned the turnoff of the lack of front end feel from the R-bikes.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

KodiakRS posted:

Anyone have any advice on tall person friendly sport tourers? My Multistrada 1200 is being excessively Italian in the maintenance department and despite hours of work and hundreds of $ trying to eliminate it the wind buffeting is still unacceptable above 70MPH. I'm looking for a good long distance mount in the sub 700LBS range. The new FJR is on the table as well as the r1200rt. I'm hesitant to try another big dual sport and turn it into a road only bike after the wind buffeting issues I had with the duc. It'll probably be a few months before I can afford to pull the trigger on something but I'm open to suggestions for what I should start looking at.

2008+ Buell Ulysses XB12XT is a good tall person sport tourer. The XT trim is less dual sporty more sport tourery; slightly lower (still in the 30" seat height range) and stiffer suspension than the X. WAY under 700 lbs (think 500ish wet). Most have a factory niggle or two but once it's sorted out, they're pretty trouble free.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

KodiakRS posted:

I'd imagine you've tried to go to a taller screen? Have you thought about going to a shorter screen?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I take the windshield off entirely when I tour. I get chest wind instead of choppy neck wind that way. It's way better.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Then why wouldn't you always keep it off?

unless this is some joke I'm not getting...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It looks broken without the windshield on. I guess I could mod the mount so it doesn't but I just pop it back on in town so it looks normal, much easier.

e: a lot of the Uly guys get these giant tall-rear end adjustable windshields, too. Options abound and Uly stuff is generally pretty inexpensive.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 23, 2013

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

or the coolant tank has a leak. Check the radiator to see if it has coolant.
Also $400 for that CX even with all those issues is still a decent deal. That's all just basic maintenance stuff.

Emailed him back, offering $400. He said $600. What do you guys think? The engine itself looked pretty clean, with just some of that kind of "lumpy" texture old metal sometimes gets on the cylinders, and a very nice looking transmission area. Needs work but on the other hand it *runs* which is more than can be said for a lot of bikes I'm seeing on CL at even higher prices.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Buy that cb350 I posted in the deals thread for you.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Z3n posted:

That seems to be in much worse shape for essentially the same price, much as I'd love a CB350. Now that you're not on your phone, can you elaborate why I should go with that instead of the 500?

Edit: The superior mechanical simplicity of the CB350 aside, I guess. drat, now it's seeming pretty tempting, although it's a drat long drive... might be better off just having him bring it over and take a gamble? It's not like I can't afford $500, but if I have to shift a bike again because it turned out to be a bad deal and I promised him $500 sight-unseen.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 23, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Uhh, duh?

http://2strokeworld.com/bikewiki/index.php?title=Honda_CB350

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Pham Nuwen posted:

That seems to be in much worse shape for essentially the same price, much as I'd love a CB350. Now that you're not on your phone, can you elaborate why I should go with that instead of the 500?

Having just torn apart an engine, I'm feeling especially allergic to the potential of having to split the cases to do a water pump. I like the CX for the sort of adorable derpitude, but I have a tendency to buy and then dump them out of fear of a stator or pump failure and having to spend a bunch of time on it. The cb350 is reliable, fun and will get out of his own way. You can probably talk the guy down a hundred bucks or so, and have a pretty solid bike for cheap. I'm also partial to ads like that cause an informed seller is more often an honest one.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Z3n posted:

Having just torn apart an engine, I'm feeling especially allergic to the potential of having to split the cases to do a water pump. I like the CX for the sort of adorable derpitude, but I have a tendency to buy and then dump them out of fear of a stator or pump failure and having to spend a bunch of time on it. The cb350 is reliable, fun and will get out of his own way. You can probably talk the guy down a hundred bucks or so, and have a pretty solid bike for cheap. I'm also partial to ads like that cause an informed seller is more often an honest one.

I'm definitely a big fan of the seller's attitude. What's your experience been with the 350 for highway riding? I'm not talking about some epic cross-country trip, but it would be cool to take it down the coast for a day or something. Can it keep up, with a big fat man like me on it? I've got the Bonneville already but would want to ride the 350 sometimes when my GF isn't learning on it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I'm skinny, so I dunno how it reacts to a lot of weight, but my CL350 is just getting into the power band in 5th gear at about 65 miles an hour, and going wide open it will continue pulling well up to 80-85. It's a little squirrelly at high speeds because of the skinny tires and short wheelbase, and the engine runs out of redline before you hit 100*, but I've had zero problems on the 1 and the 101. It will absolutely keep up with traffic on the real interstates too, though it's admittedly more stressful. The bike is happiest somewhere between 35 and 60 miles an hour on a rolling 2-lane.

Also I had it up to about 90 with two people, total weight about 270lb, at 4200 feet and 110 degrees (the bonneville salt flats), so there's that.

*e: I have the shorter gearing, so yours may theoretically be able to break 100 without redlining. Doubtful you'll reach that with any rider who isn't that tiny little japanese man lying flat on his belly, but I haven't had it above roughly 90 though so I really dunno.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 23, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm definitely a big fan of the seller's attitude. What's your experience been with the 350 for highway riding? I'm not talking about some epic cross-country trip, but it would be cool to take it down the coast for a day or something. Can it keep up, with a big fat man like me on it? I've got the Bonneville already but would want to ride the 350 sometimes when my GF isn't learning on it.

My wife hit around 70 going downhill on a CB200, so I'd imagine the 350 would be fine on the freeway. You're going to have to change riding habits a bit as it'll be slower and that often means a different style of riding to avoid getting yourself into trouble but people rode those bikes all around for decades.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Z3n posted:

I contacted him, he said he can deliver to me although he might want "a few extra bucks"... because it's a 1.5 hour drive each way. Z3n, do you think it's worth buying it sight unseen, assuming he'll drive it over before I give him the cash? Or should I just suck it up and do a 3 hour roadtrip tonight?

Sorry for the continual questions and poo poo, but babby has only bought 2 bikes before.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

I contacted him, he said he can deliver to me although he might want "a few extra bucks"... because it's a 1.5 hour drive each way. Z3n, do you think it's worth buying it sight unseen, assuming he'll drive it over before I give him the cash? Or should I just suck it up and do a 3 hour roadtrip tonight?

Sorry for the continual questions and poo poo, but babby has only bought 2 bikes before.

The ad is good enough that I'd drive out and take a look at it, and use it to justify offering 500 or so.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Z3n posted:

The ad is good enough that I'd drive out and take a look at it, and use it to justify offering 500 or so.

I checked, he can't show the bike until Sunday. I'll try to get out there as early as possible with cash in hand, and try to get him to guarantee he won't sell it between when I leave and when I get there because that would be a pretty dick move. Maybe I'm overestimating the demand for the bike, I guess SF hipsters are more likely to want something that already runs well and looks good.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think that's true, but at the same time there are plenty of people in the area who, like z3n, see that and go "that's a few hundred bucks in spare parts and touch-ups and I'll have a running bike I can sell to a hipster for at least a couple thousand." Like I said, if I was living in a place with a real garage I'd jump right on it.

Funny story: when I brought my bike from Canada to the states I had to fill out the import form in the customs office. Wrote "Honda CB350" and the morbidly obese customs officer asked me what that was, like a sportbike? I said no, it was a little vintage bike with a 350cc engine. He snorts and goes "oh, so like the Prius of motorcycles." I kind of went "ha" and continued further, to the point where I had to give it a declared value. I put down $2000 because I figured that's about what I would get in San Francisco, where I was headed. The guy looks at the form, stares for a second and is all "uhhhhhh, don't you think that's kind of, uh, excessive? What kind of idiot would pay 2 grand for that?"

gently caress you buddy.

*no, he wasn't trying to give me a deal, even with the bike listed as $2000 I was well under the value limit for duty-free personal effects

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 23, 2013

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3558421686.html

Here's a CB360 in Livermore, low mileage, close enough that I could push the drat thing home as long as it rolls. Biggest problem is lack of title; Z3n, Sagebrush, can either of you comment on what kind of hassle I might be looking at with registering this thing?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

General rule of thumb:

No title = loving nightmare/Walk away

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Here's a CB360 in Livermore, low mileage, close enough that I could push the drat thing home as long as it rolls. Biggest problem is lack of title; Z3n, Sagebrush, can either of you comment on what kind of hassle I might be looking at with registering this thing?

Titles are always a pain in the rear end. You'll probably have to figure out some kind of statement of facts, some kind of contact the PO, some kind of bonded letter. It really depends on the DMV worker you get and how willing they are to help you out. If they're not, you can get really hosed. Or if there's impossible requirements, you can get really hosed. I would drive 3 hours rather than gently caress with a non-titled bike, because one is just time, the other is potentially ending up with a worthless bike. 3 hours is a fixed, it will never be better or worse than that. No title can either be "holy poo poo you're hosed" or "no big deal", with nothing that you can do in between.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Unless (A) it's basically a free, completely running bike (B) it's something so unique that you will literally never see one for sale again or (C) you're just buying it for parts, I would stay away from anything without a title. There will be other little Hondas out there if you look around; I nearly bought one without a title because it was a smokin' deal (and there wasn't anything sketchy, you simply don't need titles in MI), but then the seller sold it to someone else and I was depressed, and then an even better deal on a nicer bike with a clean title showed up a week later.

Also, the CB360s have an engine recall where the cam chain tensioner blows up and ruins everything so you'll have to fix that immediately if it hasn't already been done, and that's a head-off operation at least. I would keep looking.

e: also that bike is missing the rear fender/taillight/turn signal assembly and the side covers, all of which are shockingly expensive to replace if you want to keep it looking stock.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 24, 2013

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Pham Nuwen posted:

I have gone through the 'bonded title process' in TX before successfully on a car. It is, indeed, a pain in the rear end, but I found it to be a simple follow-the-steps scenario. It involved a lot of waiting and about 4 trips to the DMV, but I eventually got a bonded title on it and was successful. If I were to quantify just how much of a pain it was, I would say it's around an additional $500 of anguish.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Yeah, I've decided to hell with the untitled one. Doesn't stop me from looking at other stuff while I wait to go see the other on Sunday...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3561912936.html

This one runs. Smaller engine, though, and of course significantly more expensive, but it comes with a new set of wheels too.

Edit: vvvvv and there we go. Thanks, I'll skip it.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Not really freeway capable in a meaningful way.