Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Moon
Oct 22, 2007
The sky is deep and dark and eternally high...

Flipswitch posted:

Anyone here got the Discworld board game? or is there a thread floating about it? I've been having a look but can't see much. I'm interested in picking it up but am a bit unsure how it plays, I wouldn't mind some opinions from you guys/gals.

It's a lot of fun, and rewards being a devious bugger. The multiple win conditions are very thematic and make the game a balancing act between obfuscating your identity and progressing towards your goal. Plus all the little in-jokes (like the Fools Guild related cards being useless hand-fillers that you get to pass off on someone else, or the firefighters allowing you to burn someone's property down unless they pay you) make the game great to play with other fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Flipswitch posted:

Anyone here got the Discworld board game? or is there a thread floating about it? I've been having a look but can't see much. I'm interested in picking it up but am a bit unsure how it plays, I wouldn't mind some opinions from you guys/gals.

I did a big post about it on page 108 of this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2589635&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=108#post411173439

There's some discussion afterwards, and I was tired enough when I wrote it that I didn't explain certain things quite right, but that's corrected by others almost immediately.

Short version: It's a fun 2-4 player game that you should play.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Cheers dudes, it sounds pretty great so I'll be picking it up eventually for sure. :)

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Mister Roboto posted:

Why, yes, I do. Maybe we can work something out? What have you got there?

You can email me at my username @ gmail dot com and we can work out the fine details but I have the four major books for the Witches cycle - Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, Lords and Ladies and Carpe Jugulum. All in paperback so they are cheap to ship around.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

CuddleChunks posted:

You can email me at my username @ gmail dot com and we can work out the fine details but I have the four major books for the Witches cycle - Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, Lords and Ladies and Carpe Jugulum. All in paperback so they are cheap to ship around.

Media mail!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

CuddleChunks posted:

Do you have the Last Hero? That's the only one in the main series I haven't read yet.

Looking ahead, I really want to see one more Moist book - the Taxman cometh - and then something else to tie up the series would be wonderful. Actually, I'm a greedy jerk and want to see some supernerd run shrieking all the way to the UK with an experimental cure that gives Pterry a new lease on life and as a side effect gives us another half dozen new books to read.

:unsmith: I like to think that maybe, just maybe if he holds on a little longer we'll find something to help him.

Then I look over at "Snuff" and wonder if that's what's in store for the next few novels. Ugh. I am going to reread it again soonish but my first read-through was pretty disappointing. I love Vimes as a character and this book just felt off in so many ways.

Oh geez, you just made me wonder what'll happen to Moist now. No-one thought he could make a bad Vimes book before Snuff, either.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Just finished Snuff. Book was ok, better than UA but not by much. I really think pterry needs to stop writing Discworld soon because he's somehow achieving negative characterisation ("Willikins")

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

AXE COP posted:

Just finished Snuff. Book was ok, better than UA but not by much. I really think pterry needs to stop writing Discworld soon because he's somehow achieving negative characterisation ("Willikins")

I wouldn't have minded having Willikins' characterization this novel if it was on someone like that clerk from The 5th Elephant.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ursine Asylum posted:

I wouldn't have minded having Willikins' characterization this novel if it was on someone like that clerk from The 5th Elephant.
Oh, that's who it reminded me of. Inigo Skimmer. I think that was his name.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh, that's who it reminded me of. Inigo Skimmer. I think that was his name.

Inigo Skimmer was at least a bit reticent. Mhm, mmm.

Snuff-model Willikins never shut the gently caress up, much like every other character in Snuff.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think Inigo Skimmer was one of my favourite characters in the Discworld books. Along with all the others.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I'm reading The Last Continent and it's pretty funny. Lot of wizards time which is always good, an awesome Mad Max scene, time travel. And I'm not even Australian!

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

CuddleChunks posted:

Did you get my email? Maybe in spam?

I'll resend from a different email in a moment if that's no good.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Senso posted:

I'm reading The Last Continent and it's pretty funny. Lot of wizards time which is always good, an awesome Mad Max scene, time travel. And I'm not even Australian!

I always enjoy Rincewind accidentally inventing Vegimite.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Senso posted:

The Last Continent is the only Discworld book I've been unable to re-read. It's so unfunny I'm half convinced it's intentional.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Mister Roboto posted:

Did you get my email? Maybe in spam?

I'll resend from a different email in a moment if that's no good.

No, haven't gotten any emails unfortunately. cuddlechunks @ gmail.com is the address. Give it another go.

I re-read Lords and Ladies a couple days ago and Feet of Clay before that. Of the two arcs, I really love the Sam Vimes stuff the most but I like how Terry builds up Granny Weatherwax as a stern, no-nonsense badass in her own right.

I wonder if he had/has any plans for writing another book in that arc.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I finished The Long Earth a few days ago, and what the gently caress was that? It didn't even end, it just stopped.

Pthag
Dec 10, 2005

Justin_Brett posted:

I finished The Long Earth a few days ago, and what the gently caress was that? It didn't even end, it just stopped.
there's going to be at least another one

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I actually just finished The Long Earth as well. Loved it, even if is openended.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Pthag posted:

there's going to be at least another one

They actually just announced a few hours on Facebook that the sequel, The Long War, is coming out (in the UK, at least) on June 20.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Long-War-Terry-Pratchett/dp/0857520113/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360073089&sr=1-1

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Lugubrious posted:

They actually just announced a few hours on Facebook that the sequel, The Long War, is coming out (in the UK, at least) on June 20.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Long-War-Terry-Pratchett/dp/0857520113/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360073089&sr=1-1

This placeholder entry on the US site suggests a July 23rd release in the States. Given, it's Amazon's best guess on an as yet unfinished foreign book so take its accuracy with some skepticism. I don't know if this is the entry that will eventually allow for pre-sales or not, but it might be worth looking into later for updates.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Looks like the next full length adult Discworld book is going to be called Raising Steam? He's doing a skype thing with the Australian Discworld convention and announced that. If that's the title then it'll probably be about the undertaking that Vetinari is having done under Ankh Morpork, steam trains and such.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

Looks like the next full length adult Discworld book is going to be called Raising Steam? He's doing a skype thing with the Australian Discworld convention and announced that. If that's the title then it'll probably be about the undertaking that Vetinari is having done under Ankh Morpork, steam trains and such.

That also implies it'll be another Moist book, given the title formula for those.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

Yay for the London Ankh-Morpork underground.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Yep!

It seems like this might be a good time to close out Moist's character arc, although I thought Raising Taxes was going to be the next Moist one.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is on his facebook too.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Autumncomet posted:

although I thought Raising Taxes was going to be the next Moist one.

I don't think that was ever confirmed, he'd just thrown it out and was mulling it over. Probably figured it'd be too similar to the other Moist stories or this story excited him more and he wanted to do it quicker. I suspect Moist will still be the main character in this though since he's the perfect observer for Vetinari shenanigans, hasn't Terry Pratchett said he'd never do a story with Vetinari as the main character?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
In a way it's sort of a shame because a satire of resistance to taxation (which is almost certainly what it would have ended up being about, given the Ankh-Morpork character) would have been extremely timely.

This book will still be welcome though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Maybe it might survive as a sub plot or running background theme? Good luck to any American fans trying to get Terry's stamp at this con!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JerryLee posted:

In a way it's sort of a shame because a satire of resistance to taxation (which is almost certainly what it would have ended up being about, given the Ankh-Morpork character) would have been extremely timely.

This book will still be welcome though.

Resistance to taxation is always timely. It was timely when he did it in Jingo. I'm guessing Pterry couldn't think of a way for Moist to get people to pay, so he had to drop the idea.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Well, how do you make the tax-man seem like the good guy? Give him a legitimate reason for going around collecting taxes; the Undertaking.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That and taxes don't make for thrilling story themes?

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?

The_Doctor posted:

That and taxes don't make for thrilling story themes?

Unlike the mail service?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I suspect, given the similarity of "Raising Taxes" and "Raising Steam", that it started as a book about tax-collecting and ended up being more about the Undertaking, so the title was changed.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if "how the gently caress do we pay for this" is a major theme of the book.

Edit: Maybe Vetinari will start with a general revenue fund or something, rather than the way things are done now where each government-owned thing (except the Watch) seems to need to keep itself financially viable. If that's the case, we'll probably get more A.E. Pessimal (and maybe some Dark Clerks), and that can't possibly be bad.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 8, 2013

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

AlphaDog posted:

If that's the case, we'll probably get more A.E. Pessimal (and maybe some Dark Clerks), and that can't possibly be bad.

Until A.E Pessimal inexplicably turns into yet another Sergeant Jackrum ripoff, and the Dark Clerks start going on three-page monologues about social constructs.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

jfjnpxmy posted:

Until A.E Pessimal inexplicably turns into yet another Sergeant Jackrum ripoff, and the Dark Clerks start going on three-page monologues about social constructs.

I just want to see him give someone a kicking with his neat little shoes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Terry's facebook says the The Long War will be published on June 20th.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

jfjnpxmy posted:

Another? who was the first?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

withak posted:

Terry's facebook says the The Long War will be published on June 20th.

Science of Discworld IV: Judgement Day is due April 11th and the non-fiction collection A Slip Of The Keyboard is in July.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

Another? who was the first?

Vimes butler is what they're referring to I assume, though he wasn't really a Jackrum ripoff. Jackrum wasn't a cockney possibly overly familiar butler, he was a take on the classic embittered old soldier who knows how to get poo poo done and carries a bunch of rookies through a terrible war.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 20, 2013