Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeventhSeven
Jun 28, 2009
Who has, currently - the best AirPlay receiver integration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
My wife's Yoga small studio needs a humble stereo system, and I've volunteered to help. Something like this would fit all their needs: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-X-EM21-Stereo-System-iPod-Dock/dp/B00920ESSE/ref=zg_bs_281055_1
Question is: Would I be able to set up 4 speakers with anything similar to this (as far as features and price), if I sort of daisy-chain the L and R channels with an amp in the middle or something?

Details:
- The studio only has 1 room, and it can't fit more than 20 people doing yoga, so there's no need (or budget!) for big speakers.
- It's not one of those hot and humid Yoga places. It's basically a regular room in a building.
- The ceiling is exposed, so I have easy access with a ladder to all the beams up there, and I'm thinking of putting the speakers sort of in the center of the room in one axis, and at the 1/3 and 2/3ds on the other axis... and I'd go with corners of the 3rds if I were to do 4 speakers.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

SeventhSeven posted:

Who has, currently - the best AirPlay receiver integration?

Probably any receiver + an Apple TV.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Alfajor posted:

My wife's Yoga small studio needs a humble stereo system

Decide first if you want 2 or 4 speakers. You can't do 4 with one of those packaged systems, and you'll want to make sure you can mount them easily.

I'd consider one of these:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-304

and 2-4 of these:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-670

You won't get much volume out of it before it starts to sound like poo poo, but I'm betting you don't need to crank it up that loud. Copy the music onto a SD card or USB stick and you're set.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Nice, thanks. That Amp looks good, but some of the Yoga instructors bring their laptops in and just use the headphones jack to play from that into the sound system, so I'd also like some sort of cable input (and then I'd get the appropriate cable for it).

However, I hadn't even looked at tiny amps like those, and something like this would probably kick rear end: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-2218. Question: With the USB connection, you just drive playback from the device, right? Doesn't matter whether it's an iPhone, iPod, Android phone or whatever, as long as you bring in your own cable, riiiiight?

*edit: Bah, nevermind. I see that the one you suggested has RCA inputs, so I'd get a mini-stereo to RCA cable for it and good to go. My question about the USB connection is the only thing I'd like cleared up, but I think that I'm covered already anyway.

Alfajor fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 18, 2013

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Alfajor posted:

Question: With the USB connection, you just drive playback from the device, right? Doesn't matter whether it's an iPhone, iPod, Android phone or whatever, as long as you bring in your own cable, riiiiight?

Almost certainly no. Flash drives and MP3s work, everything else likely will not.

If people use 3,5mm then this is a better choice:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-300

It's cheaper and you'll get by with a single 3,5mm to 3,5mm wire.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I see. Thanks again!

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I got a Onkyo TX-NR709 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver to go with my old speakers from the Sony DAV-FC9 DVD Dream System. Does it matter that the speakers are listed as 100 watt and the receiver is 110 watt per channel?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
No. Actually, you're less likely to blow a speaker if you have a powerful amp (and the 709 is one of the best integrated amps available at any price) than if you have an underpowered amp.

If you listen loud, a lot of people advise up to 4x the rated power of the speaker.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Thanks for the advice guys, bought a Marantz NR1402 that was a good deal from a reputable retailer. now to just get some speakers. :)

still thinking I want audioengine P4s for the front, but not sure on a good center to match them, or rears for that matter.

I was thinking of grabbing cambridge audio satellites for the rears (available to buy individually from the retailer I bought the amp at) and picking up a cheapish center used.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
What is a good way of getting two optical cables to share a single optical input?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Laser Cow posted:

What is a good way of getting two optical cables to share a single optical input?

Edit: Like this?
http://www.amazon.com/CCM-SWOPT2-Optical-Splitter/dp/B0002MQGR2

Take care though, the signal strength is probably halved, so if one of the cables is too long, the signal may drop or not arrive at all.

Double edit: You obviously meant the opposite of what you wrote, see the better answer below.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 24, 2013

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Laser Cow posted:

At the amp. Mind giving a little more detail?

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

Hob_Gadling posted:

At the amp. Mind giving a little more detail?

I want to get my Sonos and my PS3 to use the one optical input I have on my DAC, the splitter linked above might work? The DAC can only take one thing at a time.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Laserface posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, bought a Marantz NR1402 that was a good deal from a reputable retailer. now to just get some speakers. :)

still thinking I want audioengine P4s for the front, but not sure on a good center to match them, or rears for that matter.

I was thinking of grabbing cambridge audio satellites for the rears (available to buy individually from the retailer I bought the amp at) and picking up a cheapish center used.

It's actually pretty important to match your front and center speakers, do you have any particular reason for liking the P4 so much? There's literally hundreds of speakers in that general price vicinity. It's kind of weird they don't sell them as singles or in a 3-pack.

qirex fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 22, 2013

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Laser Cow posted:

I want to get my Sonos and my PS3 to use the one optical input I have on my DAC, the splitter linked above might work? The DAC can only take one thing at a time.

Don't get a splitter if you have two output devices. Get a switch. Switch lets only one signal through at a time. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-SW100-...=toslink+switch

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

qirex posted:

It's actually pretty important to match your front and center speakers, do you have any particular reason for liking the P4 so much? There's literally hundreds of speakers in that general price vicinity. It's kind of weird they don't sell them as singles or in a 3-pack.

Im not married to them, they are just easily available to me, aesthetically pleasing and matched to my furniture, and a good size as I dont need huge speakers.

was considering cambridge C30s also for a bit more money.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
I'm getting a new TV and I figured I would break into the world of not-built-in-speakers.

Is this setup decent for a first time setup? I like the polk speakers my friend has, though they're not this model, and from what I've read about the receiver, it's not bad after the firmware upgrade that came out at the end of last year, but I haven't had any chance to do any extended testing beyond poking around at the local sound shops.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR51...=onkyo+receiver

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-RM...ver+speaker+set

I'm looking to spend maybe $500-$800 overall so if there are better options in that price range, I'm open.

Mulloy fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 23, 2013

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I would look at options before getting that speaker set. A couple suggestions:

For Polks, 4x Monitor 35B, 1x 15C comes together at $327 with the promo code. Add whatever sub you want and you're within your budget.

Pioneers have been pretty well received also. One setup:
Center: Pioneer SP-C21
Surrounds: Pioneer SP-BS21
Front: either same as surrounds or SP-FS51 if you're gonna listen to music a lot
Sub: Whatever you want, starting from Pioneer SW-8.

+ wires for $30 or so.

For receiver come up with the features you want and start looking based on that. If you can deal with factory refurbished units, check out accessories4less.com. If you want an Onkyo receiver, use their handy comparison tool when comparing units to see if you have all the features you need.

http://www.onkyousa.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Receiver&m=all

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There is a new Andrew Jones line to replace the old one. Unsure of the changes. I haven't read much about it or any reviews, but its worth checking out.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers/SP-PK52FS

I guess its the 52 line which replaces the 51, so its 1 better.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 23, 2013

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
What would you guys recommend for running passive in wall subs? I'm putting two in.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.

Hob_Gadling posted:

For receiver come up with the features you want and start looking based on that. If you can deal with factory refurbished units, check out accessories4less.com. If you want an Onkyo receiver, use their handy comparison tool when comparing units to see if you have all the features you need.

http://www.onkyousa.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Receiver&m=all

Thanks for the information!

Out of curiosity, I have a pair of M-Audio AV40s. I am going to assume that I should not use these with any receiver setup, however I really like them and currently use them for my HTPC. Since they're powered I'm guessing the receiver would fry them, but I thought I'd check.

Mulloy fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 23, 2013

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK

jonathan posted:

There is a new Andrew Jones line to replace the old one. Unsure of the changes. I haven't read much about it or any reviews, but its worth checking out.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers/SP-PK52FS

I guess its the 52 line which replaces the 51, so its 1 better.

I have these and like them. I don't have an idea of a good comparison to other speakers, but they seem good to me.

Anyone ever have any trouble with getting HDMI control working with their PS3? I have a Denon 1713, a new PS3 super slim, and a Panasonic plasma, although the TV doesn't matter. I think I have it enabled everywhere and in the past I know it worked, but now it doesn't. Any ideas?

edit: So here is something interesting. If I have the PS3 connected to my receiver and HDMI control (or equivalent) enabled on my PS3, receiver, and TV when I turn the TV on it will turn the receiver, PS3, and TV on. However, if I connect the PS3 directly to the TV with all of these things enabled, it turns everything on and allows me to navigate around on the PS3 with my TV remote. Really strange behavior.

edit 2: After some more tinkering and weird issues where my PS3 couldn't get a signal through my receiver to my TV, I think I got it working. HDMI control on on the TV and PS3, off on the receiver. When the TV is on and the PS3 is the current selected input on the receiver the PS3 automatically turns on and I can control the PS3 with my TV remote. Should be trivial to set up with my universal remote, but god drat, this whole thing is way more complicated than it needed to be. Google was basically of no help trying to figure it out, either.

funroll loops fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 23, 2013

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wandler20 posted:

What would you guys recommend for running passive in wall subs? I'm putting two in.

If you have basic wood cutting and glueing skills I suggest a DIY setup. Get some Dayton 12" subwoofer drivers (or whatever will fit) and search for an in-wall plan on avsforum in the diy section.

2 subwoofers is awesome. You will want to keep them apart, if you can put them near corners you get a bunch over 4x the efficiency. But they also work well on either side of the room, or even in the ceiling.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

Hob_Gadling posted:

Don't get a splitter if you have two output devices. Get a switch. Switch lets only one signal through at a time. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-SW100-...=toslink+switch

Think I might try this one. http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-TosLink-Digital-Optical-Switch/dp/B002AL152Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1359015152&sr=8-3

Looks the least like a piece of junk that I've seen so far.

DeltaEdge
Jun 28, 2008
I have another question for the thread regarding A/V receivers.

I am looking to upgrade my television in a couple months, and it seems some manufacturers do not include component and/or composite jacks. This kinda throws a wrench in my plan, as I was looking for a receiver with component in/out. Some things I use still require composite / component connections (primarily old game systems).

Are there any receivers that take component input and outputs through HDMI? If so, are there any recommendations?

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
I just bought a house and I'm planning some purchases. I'm looking for a setup that will be solid for general use and have good longevity. It's coming out a little expensive, so I'm looking for suggestions to lower the cost, but keep performance reasonable. Sorry for the generic post, I know i have lots of options, help me spend money thread. :shobon:

Shopping list:
Onkyo TX-NR709 7.2-Channel
Klipsch RW12D
POLK TSi500

Room:

Current TV: VIZIO E550VA
Blu-ray: PS3

I have some older Bose 201 Series IV speakers, but I'm not sure what to do with them. I doubt they are good enough to be my main speakers.

The Dude
Nov 18, 2000
Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude.

DeltaEdge posted:

I have another question for the thread regarding A/V receivers.

I am looking to upgrade my television in a couple months, and it seems some manufacturers do not include component and/or composite jacks. This kinda throws a wrench in my plan, as I was looking for a receiver with component in/out. Some things I use still require composite / component connections (primarily old game systems).

Are there any receivers that take component input and outputs through HDMI? If so, are there any recommendations?
Some new receivers at the midrange or higher level are able to convert signals from their analog inputs and pass them out through HDMI. However, some are limited to only being able to convert 480i signals, and your old game systems might output 240p, which would be incompatible. You'll usually have to read the manual to discover this. For example, both the Onkyo 616 and 717 list "Analog To HDMI Upconversion" as a feature, but the 616 accepts 480i only and the 717 does not have this limitation.

I'd be quite surprised if a TV had zero analog inputs. Can you point one out? What is common is to have one input that takes both composite and component, so you could get a separate switcher and not concern yourself with receiver compatibility (although there is a chance your TV could also be incompatible with 240p). You might also consider an external scaler if your TV does poorly at the conversion.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

jonathan posted:

If you have basic wood cutting and glueing skills I suggest a DIY setup. Get some Dayton 12" subwoofer drivers (or whatever will fit) and search for an in-wall plan on avsforum in the diy section.

2 subwoofers is awesome. You will want to keep them apart, if you can put them near corners you get a bunch over 4x the efficiency. But they also work well on either side of the room, or even in the ceiling.

Haha, I worded that poorly. I have the subs and the wiring done, I just need recommendations on what to power the subs with.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

The Dude posted:

Some new receivers at the midrange or higher level are able to convert signals from their analog inputs and pass them out through HDMI. However, some are limited to only being able to convert 480i signals, and your old game systems might output 240p, which would be incompatible. You'll usually have to read the manual to discover this. For example, both the Onkyo 616 and 717 list "Analog To HDMI Upconversion" as a feature, but the 616 accepts 480i only and the 717 does not have this limitation.

FWIW, I think all the available Denon AVRs do analog to digital conversion since a few years back.

DeltaEdge
Jun 28, 2008

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

FWIW, I think all the available Denon AVRs do analog to digital conversion since a few years back.

A lot of the Denons (around 300-500 USD) I see only have HDMI inputs and maybe composite, no component.

I was looking at Panasonic's new plasma lineup that will launch in March / April and currently there are no composite and component jacks. They might be dropping that connectivity since last year's line up lacked the native connections (composite and component input is only available through the use a proprietary adapter).

The Dude
Nov 18, 2000
Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

That's what I expected, but when I looked at their current models (the xx13s) the first one with a checkmark in the "Video Conversion - Analog to HDMI" box is the 1913, so I added the midrange qualifier. Maybe in previous years they included it on the lower models but pushed it up to provide additional reasons to buy the more expensive one. I also didn't dig into the manuals to see if there are any limitations on the upconversion.

The Dude
Nov 18, 2000

DeltaEdge posted:

I was looking at Panasonic's new plasma lineup that will launch in March / April and currently there are no composite and component jacks. They might be dropping that connectivity since last year's line up lacked the native connections (composite and component input is only available through the use a proprietary adapter).
I'm surprised that they would go from one to zero analog inputs quite so quickly, but I suppose eliminating the last one also lets them strip out all of the remaining analog -> digital circuitry.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wandler20 posted:

Haha, I worded that poorly. I have the subs and the wiring done, I just need recommendations on what to power the subs with.

Behringer EP4000 is the best bang for the buck amp right now, around $280 and you get around 1600 watts per channel. So you won't need to buy another amp if you ever upgrade.

You could also go with a Crown amp. Their newer XLS drive core D class amps are similar price, and better quality with a no question asked warranty. Less power though.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also its against the rules to mention custom subwoofers and then not show pictures and info about them.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bathhouse posted:

I just bought a house and I'm planning some purchases. I'm looking for a setup that will be solid for general use and have good longevity. It's coming out a little expensive, so I'm looking for suggestions to lower the cost, but keep performance reasonable. Sorry for the generic post, I know i have lots of options, help me spend money thread. :shobon:

Shopping list:
Onkyo TX-NR709 7.2-Channel
Klipsch RW12D
POLK TSi500

Room:

Current TV: VIZIO E550VA
Blu-ray: PS3

I have some older Bose 201 Series IV speakers, but I'm not sure what to do with them. I doubt they are good enough to be my main speakers.

Consider getting the receiver from accessories4less. They're refurb units, cheaper and arguably more reliable.

Lots of choices for speakers of that quality and price, can't go wrong with any of the big brands. Polk, Klipsch, KEF.

Good choice on the sub, new egg has them for $299 every few weeks. For that size of airspace, 1 will work, 2 would be ideal. You can always buy 1 then get another later on.

2 subs makes a big difference in EQ and eliminates room problems when they're positioned properly.

Edit: oh and before you buy new, consider the used market. You can stretch your dollar twice as far with speakers. Often the used market will get you a speaker from a few years ago that is far better than the new speaker your budget will allow.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 25, 2013

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Glad to hear you guys like the Klipsch RW12D, I was thinking of getting it once it is sold for $300 again. I bought the Focal floor speakers from accessories4less during a Christmas sale and have been trying to figure out what sub to use with them. My budget was originally higher so it will be nice to go under it instead of over.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

The Dude posted:

That's what I expected, but when I looked at their current models (the xx13s) the first one with a checkmark in the "Video Conversion - Analog to HDMI" box is the 1913, so I added the midrange qualifier. Maybe in previous years they included it on the lower models but pushed it up to provide additional reasons to buy the more expensive one. I also didn't dig into the manuals to see if there are any limitations on the upconversion.

That's interesting, they seem to have done just that. Cheapasses.

My dad is considering a Yamaha AVR. I'm trying to see if he can make do with the cheaper RX-V473. They have an xbox 360 that needs to connect with component+optical.
In this comparison chart, does the absence of "HDMI upscaling" mean that the RX-V473 will not take analog inputs and convert to HDMI? Or does this feature mean that the 673 will upscale HDMI 720p sources to 1080p (which seems unnecessary)?

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/?tab=product_lineup&selected=372801_372797_372795_372793_&mode=compare

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
I've got Philips Series 5500 40PFL5537T/12 TV and I'm planning to buy a home theater set. Are there any advantages in getting it from Philips?

Also, does anyone have experience in different active 3D glasses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

I currently have the Pioneer vsx-1022-k receiver that I recently bought to replacement my ancient Pioneer vsx-3000 that best I can tell was made in the mid 80's. Right now it's just powering a pair of Pioneer S-G300B-K that my family bought when I was in high school that I made off with when I moved out to college. They sound decent enough, but I'm looking at gradually expanding to have more speakers in my home theater. I'm looking at buying a center channel first, and then maybe a subwoofer after that.

My main question is, are then any center channel speakers that would pair better with the speakers I already have? Budget is around $100 for it, though I could possibly squeeze out $150 for something really nice. I was looking at the Pioneer SP-C22, $70 right now on Amazon seems like a good deal, it's got good reviews, and in a few months when I'm ready to buy the surrounds I could get the bookshelves from that collection. Also it's subwoofer is what I was looking at for a sub, with my price range for that being the same as for the center.