Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Reason posted:

Is it ok for your boss to curse and yell at you? I mean I know that really, I should never be berated at the workplace because that's unprofessional, and I'm getting really tired of it, but is it something I can file some kind of complaint with L&I about? I'm already looking for a new job, but I want to make their lives frustrating when I do find a new job.

I quit one job because of that. Common responses to my questions/complaints at the time were "that's life," "Man up," "don't be such a baby," etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What kind of things can I not bring on carry on in the continental USA flights?

These: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
What's the best way that's relatively inexpensive to travel from Cincinnati to Chicago?

E. If it helps, I need to be in Chicago by Feb 16th, in the afternoon, and leave the 17th around the afternoon.

I looked at Greyhound and it's going to cost 40 bucks, but some browsing has started to make me reconsider that.

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 23, 2013

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You could check Craigslist and catch a ride, but that may or may not be a better option than Greyhound.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Greyhound isn't bad for a short hop like that.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

N. Senada posted:

What's the best way that's relatively inexpensive to travel from Cincinnati to Chicago?

E. If it helps, I need to be in Chicago by Feb 16th, in the afternoon, and leave the 17th around the afternoon.

I looked at Greyhound and it's going to cost 40 bucks, but some browsing has started to make me reconsider that.

Megabus is slightly cheaper but less reliable than Greyhound. The quality of your Greyhound trip depends heavily on the bus you get. Sometimes you get free wifi, power outlets, and a faux-leather seat that reclines, and sometimes your seat barely has padding and that's it.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Gobbeldygook posted:

Megabus is slightly cheaper but less reliable than Greyhound. The quality of your Greyhound trip depends heavily on the bus you get. Sometimes you get free wifi, power outlets, and a faux-leather seat that reclines, and sometimes your seat barely has padding and that's it.

I actually looked at megabus and saw they were charging 108.00 for two people roundtrip; Greyhound's got some early buying stuff that says 40 bucks for two roundtrip. I am very inclined not to spend the 60 extra dollars.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Liebfraumilch posted:

Thanks, and if I'm [in] a Japanese McDonald's I want ... a shrimp fillet-o. :(

Now that's a sentiment I can agree with! I tried asking if they would ever bring that sandwich over to the US, and only got a crappy form-letter response. Maybe if we got a letter-writing campaign going?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hey, did Google Drive do something recently to cause its icon to change?
Yes they did. It happened to me too.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Follow up question to the greyhound stuff; I've never used them before.

They're asking me for my name because I'm paying, but also want the name of the other rider. I've got a pretty good idea of who's going, but if that person backs out will I not be able to use his ticket with someone else?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Do Siri and similar programs address the user as "you" or "thou" in languages that have the formal/informal distinction?

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
I need to delete a huge number of duplicate files on OS X. Some are just .wav, some are (for reasons unknown) .wav.1.wav. I want to keep the .wav.1.wav files as they have been edited.

How can I easily remove the .wav files, and leave the others through the command line? My knowledge of find and Googling for an answer seems to return both endings.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

LittleBob posted:

I need to delete a huge number of duplicate files on OS X. Some are just .wav, some are (for reasons unknown) .wav.1.wav. I want to keep the .wav.1.wav files as they have been edited.

How can I easily remove the .wav files, and leave the others through the command line? My knowledge of find and Googling for an answer seems to return both endings.

mkdir temp
mv *.wav.1.wav temp
rm *.wav
mv ./temp/* .
rmdir temp

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
code:
mkdir edited
mv *.wav.1.wav edited
ls
cd edited
ls
cd ..
rm -rf *.wav
1. Make a directory
2. move all of the *`.wav.1.wav stuff there
3. Check to make sure there aren't any files left
4. Go to the directory from (1) and check to make sure all of the files you want are there
5. Go back up to the original directory and remove all the wav files

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

Fun Shoe
There's thousands of them, and they're all in different folders. It'd take hours to use that method. :(

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

LittleBob posted:

There's thousands of them, and they're all in different folders. It'd take hours to use that method. :(

How many different folders? I mean, it's not hard...

mkdir /saved_wavs
mv *.wav.1.wav /saved_wavs <-- Copy this

go to next folder

Paste: mv *.wav.1.wav /saved_wavs

go to next folder, paste, etc. Then all of your saved wav files are in one place and you can just delete all of the junk folders.

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I get the steps of that - but the reality is the 'huge number' was literal. It's over 120,000 little files to go through, and the most I've seen in in one folder is 31. So assuming that's the largest folder, this is nearly 4,000 folders.

Normally I would just use find . -name '*.wav' -exec rm {} \; but this will obviously identify both files and whatever variation I adapt doesn't seem to change that.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

LittleBob posted:

Yeah, I get the steps of that - but the reality is the 'huge number' was literal. It's over 120,000 little files to go through, and the most I've seen in in one folder is 31. So assuming that's the largest folder, this is nearly 4,000 folders.

Normally I would just use find . -name '*.wav' -exec rm {} \; but this will obviously identify both files and whatever variation I adapt doesn't seem to change that.
Try using grep and xargs:
$ find . -name '*.wav' -type f | grep -v '\.wav\.1\.wav$' | xargs rm

(I suggest omitting the xargs first of course to make sure the grep does what you want)

edit: added -type f

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Mescal posted:

Do Siri and similar programs address the user as "you" or "thou" in languages that have the formal/informal distinction?

I just checked Siri quickly in German and Mandarin, and it used the informal.

Also, Siri does not like Bavarian accents : took me like 4 tries.

Edit : Huh, French is formal. Also, the voice is hilarious.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 23, 2013

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

Fun Shoe

het posted:

Try using grep and xargs:
$ find . -name '*.wav' -type f | grep -v '\.wav\.1\.wav$' | xargs rm

(I suggest omitting the xargs first of course to make sure the grep does what you want)

edit: added -type f

Worked great. Thank you so much!

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Does anyone know what the deal is with zinc based cold remedy stuff? I was under the impression zinc was, recognized as, at least moderately, effective at reducing the duration of a cold.

But cold eeze and zicam, the only two companies that offer "zinc" based products at the pharmacy, hail them as "homeopathic remedies" and list the active ingredient as "Zincum Gluconate 2X".

So if I buy this poo poo, am I actually getting 13mg of zinc, or am I getting 13mg of a zinc dilution that doesn't actually have any zinc in it? If it does have zinc in it, why are they incorrectly labeling it as homeopathic?

Homeopathy infuriates me.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Airborne's got Zinc in it. And those two things would probably be okay. Honestly, The Zinc Effect isn't that pronounced. But pretend it is! The placebo effect is proven to be effective, so if you believe that those "medicines" are going to make you better, they will!

When you can simply believe that the placebo effect is helping you, and it does, then you will be a Zen Master. I still need the pills.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What kind of things can I not bring on carry on in the continental USA flights?

I want to carry my DE razor with me and my cologne (no labeling) and toothpaste and stuff with me without having to pay an extra $25 and having to find an actual suitcase. (I leave tomorrow morning)

Very recently, I've flown with a DE razor, without the blade, and picked up a pack of blades at Walgreen's when I got there. I was sad not to have my Feather Hi-Stainless Platinum "Katana-Sharp" Japanese Razor Blades for a week, but it was still better than using a bic.

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 23, 2013

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Mescal posted:

I don't know about Siri, but in Dutch the similar programs sometimes use formal and sometimes informal. Depends on the company.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
I want to get some of the t-shirts that were made for the Patriots winning the Super Bowl in 2007/2011 when they lost to the Giants; my friend is a Giants fan and this would be a great gift. I know most of them are shipped off to poor countries once the team loses, but is there anywhere I could still find them? I figure 2007 is out of the question but 2011 shirts might still be somewhere. I haven't found anything googling it but maybe my searches just aren't good enough.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Some friends and I want to start a bookclub among us, but we live in different parts of the world. Is there an easy way for us to create some sort of private online messageboard where we can have a discussion and see all of our responses at once? (As opposed to having to open and/or scroll through various emails.)

All of us have Gmail account, so maybe there's a way to do this via Gmail's circles? I can see where Gmail lets you set up a mailing list, but I don't want to go that route. I thought about creating a blog, but someone else has volunteered to be the moderator

I know we could always set up a discussion group at Goodreads.com, but I think only two of us have accounts there and some of the group are pretty :effort: people, so if I could do all the setup on my end, that would be preferable.

Edit: I created a Google Circle for the group, but it looks like all of us would have to create the same circle within each of our Gmail accounts, so something much simpler would be preferable. I've thought of starting a blog, but someone else wants to be the moderator.....:sigh: Maybe I'll just walk him through setting up a blog on his own.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 23, 2013

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

RFX posted:

I want to get some of the t-shirts that were made for the Patriots winning the Super Bowl in 2007/2011 when they lost to the Giants; my friend is a Giants fan and this would be a great gift. I know most of them are shipped off to poor countries once the team loses, but is there anywhere I could still find them? I figure 2007 is out of the question but 2011 shirts might still be somewhere. I haven't found anything googling it but maybe my searches just aren't good enough.

You're pretty unlikely to ever find one. Its not most of them, all of them are shipped off. Simply put, they specifically ship those shirts to remote regions without electricity for the very reason of keeping them out of the hands of fans in order to protect the brand.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I saw this image on Wikipedia.

I decided to use GIMP to bring out the natural grey color of the whale. I did this by making a duplicate layer of the original, then using Color to Alpha to strip away the dark blue. I then cut out the whale and merged down the layer. This work was criticized by some on Wikipedia for being "oversharpened" and "grainy", with "obvious halos". What do you goons think and how can I do better? The biggest flaw is that the shadowy part of the nose is still a little blue. How can I fix that?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

N. Senada posted:

Follow up question to the greyhound stuff; I've never used them before.

They're asking me for my name because I'm paying, but also want the name of the other rider. I've got a pretty good idea of who's going, but if that person backs out will I not be able to use his ticket with someone else?

It's mostly for security purposes, just like buying a plane ticket. It's less likely that someone will hijack a greyhound bus, but still possible.

That being said, you can contact customer service and verify with them but I imagine it would go like one of these three scenarios:

1) You and your friend leave as planned - No problems
2) Your friend bails at the last minute - Probably can get a reduced refund on the ticket, say 75-80% of the ticket price.
3) Friend bails and you find a replacement, might have to pay a slight re-processing fee, but they would probably let you both get on the bus.

Reason posted:

Is it ok for your boss to curse and yell at you? I mean I know that really, I should never be berated at the workplace because that's unprofessional, and I'm getting really tired of it, but is it something I can file some kind of complaint with L&I about? I'm already looking for a new job, but I want to make their lives frustrating when I do find a new job.

How about if I also very rarely get a lunch break if at all?

The cursing thing could go either way and it depends on context. If your boss tells you to "clean up that pile of poo poo", eh. Probably nothing you can do, especially if he talks like that around everyone.

On the other hand, if he tells you to "bring your tits into his office before he fires your loving rear end", that's a bit more on the nose.

It also depends on the environment you work in, plus the relationship you have with he company. If you are both men and you're working at a construction site: suck it up. If you work in an office building or a restaurant or in retail: he shouldn't be doing that. If he's a man and you're a woman, it's probably uncalled for in any situation. (That may be a little sexist on my end)

So, if it bothers you, go talk to an HR person, but as you have mentioned, you are already looking for a path out, so keep that in mind.

As for the lunches thing, again, it depends on the job and your schedule, and state laws. When I was working in Illinois, if I didn't take a lunch in the first 5 hours of working there, I couldn't work a full 8 hours and had to leave by hour 6 or 7. Why are you not getting a lunch? Are you too busy? Has your manager come by and said, "no lunches today, bitches"? Do you work 8 hour shifts, or only 7? Do you get breaks? Legally, I believe that you are entitled to some form of break, assuming you work an 8 hour shift, but I only know laws for Illinois/Wisconsin.

I do know that in every place I've worked there was a great big OSHA poster somewhere in the building that was in plain sight that told you what your rights as a worker are, and who to contact in case you feel your rights are being violated. Check out https://www.osha.gov if you are really concerned.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 23, 2013

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
How come the saline nasal spray in my medicine cabinet says it's "moisturizing"? I thought saline dried things up?

Here's another one that might be a little E/N: how many of you guys have regretted throwing something quasi-sentimental out that you never ever use? I have this set of Indian drums that I bought when I was like 13, I saved up for them and they were my first major purchase and the first instrument I ever owned, but I pretty much stopped playing them like a year or two after I got them. They're kinda cool-looking but they're also taking up space, and I'm moving soon and these drums are going to be really awkward to move. Also I could sell them for a couple hundred bucks, and I could really use a couple hundred bucks right now. But when I asked my mom for her perspective she was like, "Don't sell them! You're going to regret it so much when you're older! I regret getting rid of so many things from when I was a kid!"

But like, why would I save them? They're not that cool to look at, I never play them, and they're an obscure instrument that's complicated to play correctly so who am I ever going to know that's gonna be like "oh man I wish you'd saved those so I could play them"? I would have sold them already if not for my mom making me doubt myself; now I'm scared that I'll regret it when I'm old! So tell me, goons, how often have you regretted getting rid of something useless-but-kinda-sentimental like this?

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Budget Bears posted:

How come the saline nasal spray in my medicine cabinet says it's "moisturizing"? I thought saline dried things up?

Here's another one that might be a little E/N: how many of you guys have regretted throwing something quasi-sentimental out that you never ever use? I have this set of Indian drums that I bought when I was like 13, I saved up for them and they were my first major purchase and the first instrument I ever owned, but I pretty much stopped playing them like a year or two after I got them. They're kinda cool-looking but they're also taking up space, and I'm moving soon and these drums are going to be really awkward to move. Also I could sell them for a couple hundred bucks, and I could really use a couple hundred bucks right now. But when I asked my mom for her perspective she was like, "Don't sell them! You're going to regret it so much when you're older! I regret getting rid of so many things from when I was a kid!"

But like, why would I save them? They're not that cool to look at, I never play them, and they're an obscure instrument that's complicated to play correctly so who am I ever going to know that's gonna be like "oh man I wish you'd saved those so I could play them"? I would have sold them already if not for my mom making me doubt myself; now I'm scared that I'll regret it when I'm old! So tell me, goons, how often have you regretted getting rid of something useless-but-kinda-sentimental like this?

I have a wife and 2 kids, but if I was single, my place would be pretty barren. I like lots of empty space and no clutter. Even still, I have a bunch of crap I never use but hang onto simply for the sentiment. I'm trying right now to decide what I should really hang onto and what I should ditch. It's tough, like you say. I bet you'll forget all about it soon enough.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

LittleBob posted:

Do a file search for .wavs, arrange search results by file type, select, delete? That shouldn't even remove them from their separate folders. I want to say that'd work for a Windows, I don't have a Mac handy to try it on.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Budget Bears posted:

"Don't sell them! You're going to regret it so much when you're older! I regret getting rid of so many things from when I was a kid!"

My mom said the same thing. After moving my crap from state to state to state, I am finally selling (or mainly tossing/freecycle) the majority of it. If a box of tings never gets opened in 2 or 3 moves, it is not worth keeping. If you never use the drums and they are bigger than a carry on suitcase - sever.

Now I do have a cast Newfoundland nutcracker that grandmother gave me for Christmas the year she died. I played with it when I was a small child, and plan on keeping it forever. But it is smaller than a shoebox.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I own a Sony Xperia Go smartphone, which I chose because it's a rugged design (IP67 rated) and I often treat my things roughly. It's not a powerful phone and the screen is small, but there are few ruggedized phones on the market. I might have to go and get a phone that is a little less rugged. Any recommendations for a good smartphone that is reasonably durable?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why not just get a good smartphone and put it in a Lifeproof case or Otterbox?

Dr Cox MD
Sep 11, 2001

Listen Up, Newbies.
Back in the day when they existed, my Pop worked for Pan Am. After working there ten years they gave him a nice ring. Every five years after that they would add a star to the ring, designating seniority.

What is this thing called, and is there any modern equivalent?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
ScienceDirect.com archives research papers and they charge you $30-$45 for access to individual articles. How do they justify such astounding prices?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Baron Bifford posted:

ScienceDirect.com archives research papers and they charge you $30-$45 for access to individual articles. How do they justify such astounding prices?

Because academic publishing is still catching up to modern technology. The subscription for academic journals cand reach into the 10s of thousands of dollars US for a college or business. Because of this they charge large amounts for single papers (to encourage subscriptions rather than pick and choose.)

These costs are historically correct till about the late 1980s. Imagine if you will the process: A paper is submitted to the journal, a reader decides to reject or to send for peer review, four copies are made (editor, 3 reviewers) and mailed out, revisions/comments are sent back to the journal, these are assembled, copied, and sent to the author, then the author resubmits, new copies are mailed, are returned, article is then marked up for publication.

Very trivial with email, excessively difficult before the modern copy machine.

Academics are refuting this process and have started opensource journals like PLoS to allow free access to scientific publications.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I purchased the Starbucks VIA Iced Coffee drinks. However, it has suddenly gone very cold outside, and I'd love t have a hot drink instead. Is there a huge difference between the VIA Iced Coffee drinks and the other types? Can I make it hot? How would I? The box only has instructions for making iced coffee.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Rabbit Hill posted:

Some friends and I want to start a bookclub among us, but we live in different parts of the world. Is there an easy way for us to create some sort of private online messageboard where we can have a discussion and see all of our responses at once? (As opposed to having to open and/or scroll through various emails.)

All of us have Gmail account, so maybe there's a way to do this via Gmail's circles? I can see where Gmail lets you set up a mailing list, but I don't want to go that route. I thought about creating a blog, but someone else has volunteered to be the moderator

I know we could always set up a discussion group at Goodreads.com, but I think only two of us have accounts there and some of the group are pretty :effort: people, so if I could do all the setup on my end, that would be preferable.

Edit: I created a Google Circle for the group, but it looks like all of us would have to create the same circle within each of our Gmail accounts, so something much simpler would be preferable. I've thought of starting a blog, but someone else wants to be the moderator.....:sigh: Maybe I'll just walk him through setting up a blog on his own.

I am in such a book club, and we just made a Facebook group. You can set up more than one moderator, and you can see the discussions in real time, and you can even make a chat if you want to talk that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

the posted:

I purchased the Starbucks VIA Iced Coffee drinks. However, it has suddenly gone very cold outside, and I'd love t have a hot drink instead. Is there a huge difference between the VIA Iced Coffee drinks and the other types? Can I make it hot? How would I? The box only has instructions for making iced coffee.
Are the instructions just "mix packet with cold water, add ice"? Just heat some water in a kettle and mix in the packet like usual. I think the only difference between the iced and the regular hot variety is they pre-sweeten the iced, also the iced packets are larger. Maybe add a bit more water to compensate for no ice in case its too strong for your liking.