Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Get down with the schtickness, kids. It's "Brass Metal". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGpf9asZDPA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wikkee!
Oct 17, 2006

P.S. : Shut up, Dan.

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Get down with the schtickness, kids. It's "Brass Metal". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGpf9asZDPA

Holy gently caress, this is awful. It feels like they could have replaced all the brass parts with literally any other instruments and it would be a thousand times better. And still be poo poo.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Just listened to Pathfinder - Fifth Element. I was in the mood for some super power metal cheese and this delivered in spades. However the short super high pitched "burst" vocal parts took a while to get used to.

Also seriously thinking about ordering that A Traveler's Guide to Space and Time Blind Guardian set.. any other Goons gone for it ?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Jesus christ that's the laziest and shittiest attempt at a gimmick ever. I mean that whole "Hey we mixed non-metal stuff into our metal" can be done really well (Hi Diablo Swing Orchestra, howyadoin?) but this is just loving weak. Like putting pineapple into your mac and cheese and calling it Chinese.

mfny posted:

Just listened to Pathfinder - Fifth Element. I was in the mood for some super power metal cheese and this delivered in spades. However the short super high pitched "burst" vocal parts took a while to get used to.
Pathfinder are loving dope. DragonForce and Rhapsody ain't poo poo (except that Rhapsody is, poo poo I mean) compared to these guys. The kings of the cheesiest cheese that ever cheesed.

mfny posted:

Also seriously thinking about ordering that A Traveler's Guide to Space and Time Blind Guardian set.. any other Goons gone for it ?
I love Blind Guardian to bits and I really do want that box set, but I'm not quite enough of a rabid fanboy to cough out that much money for it. I mean sure it'd be a lot of bang for the buck, but over 100 euros is still a drat lot of money.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
was expecting this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks9EnfJo_Os

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

The intro reminded me of Alamaailman Vasarat who happen to be tons better and don't have lovely vocals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-PlKlsOdZA

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Despite the atrocious cover art, Voivod's Target Earth is easily their best album in 20 years. I can now confirm this.

R.I.P. Piggy...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I can't take that stuff too seriously after listening to a shitload of Trollfest. I just think of party music whenever I hear horns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0pxumlvskE

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I didn't see this posted (but I apologize in case I missed it).
Helloween released their new album, together with this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PKNaVHi4Os
Kind of a good song, especially the ending.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Non Serviam posted:

I didn't see this posted (but I apologize in case I missed it).
Helloween released their new album, together with this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PKNaVHi4Os
Kind of a good song, especially the ending.

This video is private :(

Baron Patsy
Apr 9, 2006

I'M SPECIAL DAMMIT

In case you guys hadn't heard, Skeletonwitch is recording in April. :thumbsup:

with kurt ballou, no less :allears:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Baron Patsy posted:

with kurt ballou, no less :allears:

You don't say

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Speaking of "rear end Boner":

Unfortunately, the Ash Borer side of the Fell Voices split has a huge scratch across it. I hope they'll let me exchange it.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Gojira was loving amazing last night.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Gojira was loving amazing last night.

Yeah, I was at the Seattle show on Sunday, and even though I was initially there for Townsend, I wound up enjoying Gojira infinitely more despite only having listened to them a little. I now have this itch to get into them and similar sounding bands, any recommendations?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

rargphlam posted:

Yeah, I was at the Seattle show on Sunday, and even though I was initially there for Townsend, I wound up enjoying Gojira infinitely more despite only having listened to them a little. I now have this itch to get into them and similar sounding bands, any recommendations?

Their newest one is probably their most accessable albiet kinda repetitive. I rate that and The Way Of All Flesh to be their best.

But The Way Of All Flesh will beat pretty much everything because of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o4hKYNz7mY

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
For those, like, two goons besides me who still sincerely like Nightwish: They put up a new official live video of Ghost Love Score, with Floor Jansen still on the vocals. I just can't loving believe that woman, her performance towards the end of the song is absolutely stellar.
I guess you could even say she completely floored me. :downsrim:

Still hoping to loving God they hire her permanently after the tour.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Despite the atrocious cover art, Voivod's Target Earth is easily their best album in 20 years. I can now confirm this.

R.I.P. Piggy...

Yeah what is up with their covers? They all look like Illustrator designs from the 90s. Unless it's intentional :confused:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Nordick posted:

For those, like, two goons besides me who still sincerely like Nightwish: They put up a new official live video of Ghost Love Score, with Floor Jansen still on the vocals. I just can't loving believe that woman, her performance towards the end of the song is absolutely stellar.

I think Nightwish produced pretty ok music with neat guitar riffs and cool vocals up until they fired the major talent in the band in the most incredibly childish way possible. Once has a few tracks, and Oceanborn has even more that I would say are really good, but they never have been consistent to me.

That singer is still not Tarja, but she made Ghost Love Score listenable, and if they can hire her permanently I might give them a real chance to convince me that Tuomas isn't a completely contemptible manbaby who can't write anymore. Tarja did a really good job of hiding the flaws of Nightwish with her voice, if Floor Jansen can do that as well then good for her.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
What was DTP's set like back in the US now that Atlas Moth is back on the bill? On setlist.fm I'm not sure if they were playing more songs because they were the only opener or if because they got into the swing of things after the first couple of shows in the US; probably the former.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Nordick posted:

I used to be heavily into Nightwish, but hadn't really listened to them that much since Once. I went to a their recent live show in Sydney on a whim, and was also floored by Floor. She's by far the best fronts woman the band has ever had, that video didn't even capture half of the energy she brought to the live show in Sydney. I might even count myself genuinely interested in their next album if she stays on, and not just in a 'what the gently caress has Mr Soulful Poet Tuomas written now' sense.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

me your dad posted:

Yeah what is up with their covers? They all look like Illustrator designs from the 90s. Unless it's intentional :confused:

The cover for Rrroooaaarrr is pretty drat awesome, you gotta admit it!

Though sadly the cover for Target Earth doesn't have that same "middleschooler drew this in his notebook instead of taking notes" charm that that one has. It's probably the coloring.

But is it better or worse than the cover for Iron Maiden's Dance of Death?

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

Nordick posted:

Jesus christ that's the laziest and shittiest attempt at a gimmick ever. I mean that whole "Hey we mixed non-metal stuff into our metal" can be done really well (Hi Diablo Swing Orchestra, howyadoin?) but this is just loving weak. Like putting pineapple into your mac and cheese and calling it Chinese.

Pathfinder are loving dope. DragonForce and Rhapsody ain't poo poo (except that Rhapsody is, poo poo I mean) compared to these guys. The kings of the cheesiest cheese that ever cheesed.

I love Blind Guardian to bits and I really do want that box set, but I'm not quite enough of a rabid fanboy to cough out that much money for it. I mean sure it'd be a lot of bang for the buck, but over 100 euros is still a drat lot of money.

Diablo Swing Orchestra is a recant discovery of mine, late to the party I know but Pandora's Pinata is amazing.

Pathfinder is getting lots and lots of repeat plays now after getting used to some of the vocals. Cheese kings indeed, and judging from youtube videos they seem to know not to take them selves super seriously when dishing out the cheese to which is always good.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wasn't the story with Dance of Death that the guy doing it just wanted to show a basic render and the guys in Maiden went, "Yup! That is perfect!"?

My only exposure to Voivod ever was thru Phobos and Negatron, so hearing the "real" band was really oftputting - none of their stuff with Snake sounds like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkaGAsKm_R0

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

mfny posted:

Diablo Swing Orchestra is a recant discovery of mine, late to the party I know but Pandora's Pinata is amazing.

Pathfinder is getting lots and lots of repeat plays now after getting used to some of the vocals. Cheese kings indeed, and judging from youtube videos they seem to know not to take them selves super seriously when dishing out the cheese to which is always good.

"Avant Garde metal" is very much hit-or-miss. DSO is a great band and really produces some really great songs/albums. Stolen Babies (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVLLQEM9-Ew) also produces some good stuff.

On the other hand, stuff like Iwrestledabearonce and their hipster/Avantgardecore metal is poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwgMMtgSTVE

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Non Serviam posted:

On the other hand, stuff like Iwrestledabearonce and their hipster/Avantgardecore metal is poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwgMMtgSTVE

Everything in that video still prevents me from even checking it out for the sake of curiosity. Beach balls are loving metal as hell though.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Non Serviam posted:

"Avant Garde metal" is very much hit-or-miss. DSO is a great band and really produces some really great songs/albums. Stolen Babies (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVLLQEM9-Ew) also produces some good stuff.

I enjoyed Pandora's Piñata, but I'm kind of reluctant to try out this band Stolen Babies I keep hearing mentioned lately. Are they not opening for Coal Chamber on this recently contrived reunion effort?!?! I understood that there may be some musical ties to Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. A band I've thoroughly enjoyed in the past for their experimental rock/metal-ism.

In a similar vein, fans of the "avant-garde" may also enjoy the blackened prog-rock psychedelia of the greek band, Hail Spirit Noir.

I just wish we could load Iwrestledaboaronce and Mindless Self Indulgence both into a rocket, shoot them into space and pretend that they never happened.

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 24, 2013

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

me your dad posted:

Everything in that video still prevents me from even checking it out for the sake of curiosity. Beach balls are loving metal as hell though.

I'm torn over which is worse, the drunk clown schtick or putting a hipster chick in the band hoping people will overlook your poo poo music.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Non Serviam posted:

Seriously gently caress this poo poo. Not to sound like a "trve-kvlt goatmetalwarrior", but this poo poo's ruining metal.

bus stop
Jul 19, 2012
nah

Oldstench posted:

Seriously gently caress this poo poo. Not to sound like a "trve-kvlt goatmetalwarrior", but this poo poo's ruining metal.

To be fair lovely music has existed forever, the only difference is no one remembers them. Well, most of them anyway.

For some actual content though, I was recently introduced to Razor. Just straightforward thrash, not much more that I can say really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gO2G21Ucqk

bus stop fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 24, 2013

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Bruce Dickinson and Montserrat Caballé (one of the best sopranos ever :colbert:) apparently sang together once.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sif4TcI1_w

And I looked it up, this actually happened.

bus stop
Jul 19, 2012
nah
Stranger things have happened.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Non Serviam posted:

Why the gently caress did I open that link? WHY?! For dick's sake, what a bunch of loving posers. "Hey check it out we're like totally technical mathcore and we have this screaming chick that's like really cute and really edgy at the same time." Augh.

That poo poo really is a disgrace to metal, and I don't even take metal that seriously. I mean there's this band whose name literally means "Heavy Metal Butt" and I think they're legit really good. Their lyrics are actually pretty drat good too, too bad you'd have to understand Finnish to get them.

EDIT:

bus stop posted:

Stranger things have happened.
Yep.
(warning: This is loving horrible.)

Nordick fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 24, 2013

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I thought their little exercise segment in Tastes Like Kevin Bacon was pretty entertaining. Don't think I'd regularly listen to a whole album, but they don't draw such scathing contempt from me.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Nordick posted:

"Hey check it out we're like totally technical mathcore and we have this screaming chick that's like really cute and really edgy at the same time."

Self delusion is clearly their drug of choice

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

That just sounded like all the *core music I've been avoiding since I've known about that kind of music. That band and song doesn't deserve the energy required to hate it. I'd rather still be mad at Metallica for almost everything they've made and done since 1990. And I am.

Anyway, I need/want more Diablo Swing Orchestra-like music in my life.

ShrewdOrganMerchant
Apr 26, 2008

Please stop doing that.
Paganfest dates just dropped.

Ensiferum, Tyr, Helsott, Heidevolk, Trollfest

3/30 - Denver, CO @ Summit Music Hall
4/01 - Tempe, AZ @ 910 Live
4/03 - San Francisco, CA @ DNA Lounge
4/04 - Reno, NV @ The Alley
4/05 - Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theatre
4/06 - Seattle, WA @ Studio Seven
4/07 - Vancouver, BC @ Rickshaw Theatre
4/09 - Edmonton, AB @ Starlite Room
4/10 - Regina, SK @ The Exchange
4/11 - Winnipeg, MB @ Zoo Cabaret
4/12 - Saint Paul, MN @ Station 4
4/13 - Chicago, IL @ Reggie's
4/14 - Columbus, OH @ Al Rosa Villa
4/15 - Baltimore, MD @ Soundstage
4/16 - Philadelphia, PA @ The Note
4/17 - Toronto, ON @ Opera House
4/18 - Montreal, QC @ Metropolis
4/19 - Poughkeepsie, NY @ The Chance Theater
4/20 - Worcester, MA @ The Palladium (NE Metalfest)
4/21 - New York, NY @ Gramercy Theatre

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

Nordick posted:

Yep.
(warning: This is loving horrible.)

This poo poo's Disney as hell. Or maybe it could go in a Don Bluth movie. I have no loving idea but either way I'm embarrassed.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Why Trollfest? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

ShrewdOrganMerchant posted:

Paganfest dates just dropped.

Ensiferum, Tyr, Helsott, Heidevolk, Trollfest

3/30 - Denver, CO @ Summit Music Hall
4/01 - Tempe, AZ @ 910 Live
4/03 - San Francisco, CA @ DNA Lounge
4/04 - Reno, NV @ The Alley
4/05 - Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theatre
4/06 - Seattle, WA @ Studio Seven
4/07 - Vancouver, BC @ Rickshaw Theatre
4/09 - Edmonton, AB @ Starlite Room
4/10 - Regina, SK @ The Exchange
4/11 - Winnipeg, MB @ Zoo Cabaret
4/12 - Saint Paul, MN @ Station 4
4/13 - Chicago, IL @ Reggie's
4/14 - Columbus, OH @ Al Rosa Villa
4/15 - Baltimore, MD @ Soundstage
4/16 - Philadelphia, PA @ The Note
4/17 - Toronto, ON @ Opera House
4/18 - Montreal, QC @ Metropolis
4/19 - Poughkeepsie, NY @ The Chance Theater
4/20 - Worcester, MA @ The Palladium (NE Metalfest)
4/21 - New York, NY @ Gramercy Theatre

There's also a show in LA on 04/02 at a TBD venue.