Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

frumpus posted:

You'll have to excuse the 'spergin here, but actually:

No, April is supposedly the first Captain of Kirk's Enterprise, 1701. Not any iteration of Archer's NX-01.

See this nerdy chart here from the link I posted above, and note the 'alternate reality' Enterprise, (the current movies) where April has been removed.)

So what says the comic about all this? It's not available on Comixology yet.

We are quite clearly discussing the new film universe, your chart has no relevance. And the comic comes out tomorrow which is why it isn't on Comixology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpus
Nov 28, 2005

The new film universe is on the chart. v:raise:v

But yeah, I get that April may not be the first Captain of this Enterprise in this timeline, I was just curious how he was being presented. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Here's the image of what you're referring to:

Click me!

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I love Star Trek and I love graphic storytelling and that one panel has basically every reason I stopped reading comics regularly condensed into a single image.

Jesus Christ.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Geekboy posted:

I love Star Trek and I love graphic storytelling and that one panel has basically every reason I stopped reading comics regularly condensed into a single image.

Jesus Christ.

V-necks?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That's a nice jacket, I'd wear that jacket.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Geekboy posted:

Jesus Christ.

What's wrong with it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The first Countdown mini contradicted quite a bit of the film so I won't be surprised if this one does the same.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Rhyno posted:

The first Countdown mini contradicted quite a bit of the film so I won't be surprised if this one does the same.

How so? It took place entirely before the film and was all set-up that you didn't need to be aware of to enjoy the movie fully. I don't remember anything in it contradicting the film though.

It also had Data as captain of the Enterprise-E, in a Star Trek Online uniform no less, which was badass as hell.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Rhyno posted:

It didn't contradict it so much as have a lot of poo poo the film never brought up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ville Valo posted:

How so? It took place entirely before the film and was all set-up that you didn't need to be aware of to enjoy the movie fully. I don't remember anything in it contradicting the film though.

It also had Data as captain of the Enterprise-E, in a Star Trek Online uniform no less, which was badass as hell.

The origin of Spock's ship for one thing. And the stupid insert of the TNG cast was pretty pointless. And the fact that they felt the need to "fix" Data was really stupid.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Rhyno posted:

The origin of Spock's ship for one thing. And the stupid insert of the TNG cast was pretty pointless. And the fact that they felt the need to "fix" Data was really stupid.

The origin of Spock's ship was never really discussed in the movie. What does it contradict to show Geordi building it? :confused: The TNG cast was who would be running around doing this stuff in the original timeline before Spock gets sent back, so it makes sense to include them. They're also, you know, the most popular Trek characters. Data was telegraphed as coming back in B-4 long before the Countdown comics.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
The ship's computer in the movie states that the ship was commissioned by the Vulcan science academy but who actually designed or built it is never discussed.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BrandonGK posted:

What's wrong with it?

It looks like like traced and recolored video game model reference shots

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

DFu4ever posted:

It didn't contradict it so much as have a lot of poo poo the film never brought up.

So, it complemented the film?

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

qntm posted:

So, it complemented the film?

Pretty much. Borg technology, Geordi and Data's involvement...all stuff that can be ignored and never affect the story in the movie because it really doesn't matter within the scope of the story being told.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Looks like those Star Trek fans who dislike Abrhams direction can rejoice. Into Darkness will probably be his last, as he is apparently going to move over to Star Wars now.

Weird.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Trek '09 already was a Star Wars movie. Desert-dwelling farmboy destined for greatness follows his deceased father's footsteps among the stars and saves the universe, bustling rough cantina with aliens, planet-destroying superweapon with unambiguously evil villain, non-English-speaking supporting character, implausibly large "Galactic Senate"-style meeting room populated mainly with CGI, full CGI cities full of flying cars, "punch it"...

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Hopefully this means Star Trek 3 can get away from the JJ's Mystery Box Marketing Engine BS that taints everything. Of course he'll probably kill of Kirk at the end of 2 or something...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mr. unhsib posted:

Hopefully this means Star Trek 3 can get away from the JJ's Mystery Box Marketing Engine BS that taints everything. Of course he'll probably kill of Kirk at the end of 2 or something...

Yeah, I mean the last time a main TOS Trek cast member was killed in a sequel movie, it was terrible.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Benedict is literally playing a jedi and he's merging the franchises. The entire internet would explode.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

E- Ah crafty bastard specified TOS. Nevermind.

How huge must Abrams ego be? If I were him I'd consider myself absolute king of geekdom by this point, or at least a powerful duke.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mind the walrus posted:

E- Ah crafty bastard specified TOS. Nevermind.

To be fair Generations could be considered either.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

computer parts posted:

Yeah, I mean the last time a main TOS Trek cast member was killed in a sequel movie, it was terrible.

If all you want to see is retreads, I guess you'll be pretty happy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

E-- ^^^ While I'm not a huge fan of AbramsTrek, I begrudgingly respect it for refusing to be an exact retread. Remember, retreading outdated TNG philosophies are what killed Voyager and Enterprise.

Snark aside killing Kirk would be poison for the films going forward and though Abrams loves some shock value he's a great marketer above almost all else. While Kirk dying would be fantastic press, there's too large a void filled by him. I'd argue even greater than Spock.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

I'd argue even greater than Spock.
You mean, in that Spock's playing against Kirk, that his charm unfolds only in opposition to Kirk?

Javid posted:

Benedict is literally playing a jedi and he's merging the franchises. The entire internet would explode.
yes this
please nerd jesus make this happen

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cingulate posted:

You mean, in that Spock's playing against Kirk, that his charm unfolds only in opposition to Kirk?

In the sense that Kirk is more integral to the TOS cast playing off of each other. You can't really slot Picard or Sisko or any other "type" of captain in there without the TOS crew turning into people just doing their jobs, because without a ridiculous horny cowboy to compel them all to be crazy motherfuckers the TOS characters are just too darn professional. While it'd suffer immensely from "not Spock" syndrome, you could ultimately do that with another type of Science Officer, in my humble opinion.

I don't meant to say it's impossible mind you, there's no such thing as a bad concept. But there is such a thing as an execution that's too hard to pull off.

frumpus
Nov 28, 2005

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Looks like those Star Trek fans who dislike Abrhams direction can rejoice. Into Darkness will probably be his last, as he is apparently going to move over to Star Wars now.

Weird.

I thought he turned that down. Is there a source for this?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

frumpus posted:

I thought he turned that down. Is there a source for this?

Nikki Finke of Deadline Hollywood is reporting it. She may be human scum, buuut she's almost never wrong.

frumpus
Nov 28, 2005

My god. The lens flare from those light sabers is going to be incredible.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

frumpus posted:

My god. The lens flare from those light sabers is going to be incredible.

And when the Death Star mkIII goes, the lens flare will destroy the theater.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Man, apparently the internet is full of genius funny people, because these lens flare jokes are certainly the height of comedy.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
something something lens flare something something YOU DONT BUILD STARSHIPS IN IOWA

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Man, apparently the internet is full of genius funny people, because these lens flare jokes are certainly the height of comedy.

Oh man, Doom 3 is DARK

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The best one is still one of the Lens Flare presets in Adobe Photoshop Touch named "J.J."

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Aatrek posted:

Oh man, Doom 3 is DARK

I didn't mind that too much. My biggest gripe is that literally every single locker on that colony had a monster stuffed inside it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Joe Don Baker posted:

I didn't mind that too much. My biggest gripe is that literally every single locker on that colony had a monster stuffed inside it.

Even ferocious demons from the extradimensional torment of Hell have nerds.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CPFortest posted:

something something lens flare something something YOU DONT BUILD STARSHIPS IN IOWA

The President of Earth oversaw the bailout precisely so that Iowa's valuable ship-building industry wouldn't collapse. It's how she got re-elected.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The President of Earth oversaw the bailout precisely so that Iowa's valuable ship-building industry wouldn't collapse. It's how she got re-elected.

Promises made during the Iowa caucuses are a bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
As long as neither Abrams himself or his talentless toadie Lindelhof are allowed anywhere near the writing process, maybe there's a chance for goodness.

• Locked thread