Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

VogeGandire posted:

That involves being a member of a union. So I can say with authority, no they don't.

Mick Foley mentions in his first book that he did a movie called Big Money Hustlas specifically (if memory serves) so he could get an SAG membership and dat sweet sweet insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I refuse to believe Mick Foley was in a juggalo film

Edit: Cactus Sac noooo

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 23, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RentACop posted:

I refuse to believe Mick Foley was in a juggalo film

Edit: Cactus Sac noooo

I don't know why you wouldn't believe that. If ICP's movies are like their wrestling fed, then the actors are treated well and duly compensated for their time.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I don't know why you wouldn't believe that. If ICP's movies are like their wrestling fed, then the actors are treated well and duly compensated for their time.

It will never stop being weird that the most carny and awful musicians are also the least carny and awful wrestling promoters currently operating possibly anywhere in the world.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

DicksToAsses posted:

It will never stop being weird that the most carny and awful musicians are also the least carny and awful wrestling promoters currently operating possibly anywhere in the world.

Nah they are awful promoters that put on awful shows.

They pay well, though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oatgan posted:

Nah they are awful promoters that put on awful shows.

They pay well, though.

If Terry Funk and Mick Foley say they're good, in my book, they're good :colbert:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
My first exposure to guys like Chris Hero was from JCW. The in-ring quality is terrible, but in conjunction with the commentary it's pretty funny. The quality of the rings themselves, however, is a little scary. I remember watching some JCW DVD where a guy attempted a middle rope moonsault outside the ring and the rope just snapped, making him fall head first into the ground.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Supreme Allah posted:

Do you get to buy into a group health insurance plan? I thought that was a big benefit of SAG. (I think I got this from a Friends episode)
There's a minimum work requirement, so probably not.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Memento1979 posted:

Mick Foley mentions in his first book that he did a movie called Big Money Hustlas specifically (if memory serves) so he could get an SAG membership and dat sweet sweet insurance.

That's awesome. I used to love that movie when I was a teenager. Here's his scene: http://youtu.be/Kr57tR3n2F8

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is "Big Money Rustlas" spun off from that? Because that one seems to be on Showtime like every other night.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's the cowboy version of the same plot, yep.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Apologies if this has been answered. Has Rock ever bladed? For some reason I can't recall if he did or not. I can't picture his face drenched in his own blood like Austin or Foley or even Trips.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Ratedargh posted:

Apologies if this has been answered. Has Rock ever bladed? For some reason I can't recall if he did or not. I can't picture his face drenched in his own blood like Austin or Foley or even Trips.

Here you go bud

I googled 'the rock blood'. This looks like his Maivia form.

Ohh maybe not - is that Stone Colds leg

Supreme Allah fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 24, 2013

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Ratedargh posted:

That's from Fully Loaded 2000. I'm certain he's done it other times too.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Keeping it sort of on topic. I swear I remember hearing about the time HBK bladed in mid-air and it was a really obvious bladejob.

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

Hockles posted:

Keeping it sort of on topic. I swear I remember hearing about the time HBK bladed in mid-air and it was a really obvious bladejob.

The hell in a cell match at Badd Blood against the Undertaker. He blades mid sling shot.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

DicksToAsses posted:

The entire Gathering at the Juggalo schedules an impressive line-up of hip hop and rap talent that makes fans of the genre go "how in the HELL did ICP book these people?!" given the duo's reputation. I guess paying well and on-time goes a long way.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Ratedargh posted:

Don't forget Eddie

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Corzaa posted:

Don't forget Eddie

Christ that match was gory as hell

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

The entire Gathering at the Juggalo schedules an impressive line-up of hip hop and rap talent that makes fans of the genre go "how in the HELL did ICP book these people?!" given the duo's reputation. I guess paying well and on-time goes a long way.

I think playing a show/wrestling on a card with some of the already assembled talent can go a long way as well. I'd find a way to clear up some room in my schedule for a chance to work with one of my icons.

I forget which band it was, but a couple years ago a fan asked them "Why the hell are you playing at The Gathering of the Juggalos?" and the band replied "If you think we're going to turn down the chance to smoke weed in the woods with George Clinton and Ice Cube, then you don't know us very well."

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Corzaa posted:

Don't forget Eddie

Believe me, I've been trying to forget that. Blech.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

The Muta scale should have been replaced with the Guerrero scale after that match.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Critical posted:

The Muta scale should have been replaced with the Guerrero scale after that match.

Have you seen the match the Muta scale was created from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2yxfSRz-cw

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Corzaa posted:

Don't forget Eddie

What do you mean?

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Have you seen the match the Muta scale was created from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2yxfSRz-cw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaE7XDBwMBk

he wrestled for at least like ten more minutes after that, it was loving nasty

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Monkeycheese posted:

Oh I remember. Muta did the same.

I don't recall the match but I always remembered people saying the worst blood situation was Tomoaki Honma.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Monkeycheese posted:

Jesus, Eddie. It looked like someone punched a hole in a gallon of kool aid

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I was watching the Best of Raw set and it goes over Randy Orton being kicked out of Evolution and a few segments later it has Batista powerbombing HHH through a table and challenging him at WM. What seems weird to me is that both Orton and Batista were pegged as future stars by being in Evolution and both became singles stars with a face turn on HHH within roughly six months of each other but the pushes thereafter couldnt be more different.

Orton drops the title to HHH at the next PPV after winning it at SummerSlam and never regains it. Loses clean at the RR and takes time off after WM. Batista puts HHH through a table, wins the Rumble, and wins totally clean the next 3 PPVs and HHH goes on the shelf for months after. Why was Orton treated like a joke and Batista pushed like a star? Did Orton just do so badly they had to scrap their plans or did Batista take off like they didn't expect? Did HHH start disliking Orton after the face turn or something? Its like why give Orton the title and a face turn only to blow it and job him out? But then they do Batista's turn perfectly and put him over strong.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

oldpainless posted:

I was watching the Best of Raw set and it goes over Randy Orton being kicked out of Evolution and a few segments later it has Batista powerbombing HHH through a table and challenging him at WM. What seems weird to me is that both Orton and Batista were pegged as future stars by being in Evolution and both became singles stars with a face turn on HHH within roughly six months of each other but the pushes thereafter couldnt be more different.

Orton drops the title to HHH at the next PPV after winning it at SummerSlam and never regains it. Loses clean at the RR and takes time off after WM. Batista puts HHH through a table, wins the Rumble, and wins totally clean the next 3 PPVs and HHH goes on the shelf for months after. Why was Orton treated like a joke and Batista pushed like a star? Did Orton just do so badly they had to scrap their plans or did Batista take off like they didn't expect? Did HHH start disliking Orton after the face turn or something? Its like why give Orton the title and a face turn only to blow it and job him out? But then they do Batista's turn perfectly and put him over strong.

I'm pretty sure giving Orton the title was to get the "youngest world champion ever" moniker off Lesnar. I can't see it being Orton doing badly. He got real over during that push, and even got cheered over Benoit in that title match at Summerslam in Toronto. Why he dropped off immediately afterward, I don't know.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
was any of orton's "being a huge dick to everyone and getting busted with roids/weed/whatever" in that timeframe?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Not busted, since the Wellness Policy came after and his first suspension for bad conduct was in 2006.

But I'm sure he was doing plenty of drugs and that was probably when he dumped a bottle of tanner (but didn't poo poo) in someone's bag.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Paulocaust posted:

I'm pretty sure giving Orton the title was to get the "youngest world champion ever" moniker off Lesnar. I can't see it being Orton doing badly. He got real over during that push, and even got cheered over Benoit in that title match at Summerslam in Toronto. Why he dropped off immediately afterward, I don't know.

He's an idiot but I always liked Scott Keith's idea of Randy Orton throwing Triple H out of Evolution and HHH getting revenge on him as a babyface.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

He's an idiot but I always liked Scott Keith's idea of Randy Orton throwing Triple H out of Evolution and HHH getting revenge on him as a babyface.
They did something like this later with the Legacy and it SUCKED.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

That's because of all of the core members of Legacy, Orton had the best established character and the longest career to that point. When you're counting on one wrestler to carry a stable on his shoulders in the ring and on the microphone, and the bulk of that wrestler's skillset is evenly split between headlocks and talking slowly, you're completely hosed.

Orton as leader of Evolution sidesteps those problems by keeping Orton with an enforcer who can cover his weaknesses in the ring and a manager who can cover his weaknesses on the mic.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Claytor posted:

That's because of all of the core members of Legacy, Orton had the best established character and the longest career to that point. When you're counting on one wrestler to carry a stable on his shoulders in the ring and on the microphone, and the bulk of that wrestler's skillset is evenly split between headlocks and talking slowly, you're completely hosed.

Orton as leader of Evolution sidesteps those problems by keeping Orton with an enforcer who can cover his weaknesses in the ring and a manager who can cover his weaknesses on the mic.

I like that in your weird alternate reality, BATISTA is covering someone elses in-ring weaknesses.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

oldpainless posted:

I'm theorizing that Orton was picked/pushed by committee, and it didn't result in bigger ratings/PPV buys right away. Batista was picked by the fans, and once those in charge realized it, he was given a slow build to the WrestleMania win over HHH, and I'm assuming, got a lot of credit for the WM buyrate along with Cena.

Just pulling this out of my rear end, though.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

e: ^^^ I don't know if he was picked by HHH, but Hunter had a ton of control in that feud and was the reason they managed to go months without a match rather than burning it out quickly.

LividLiquid posted:

And started the amazing trend of WWE wasting their second biggest star at WrestleMania.

Even Orton's dumb Legacy handicap match at 26 was a hotter feud than 27 against Punk at his lowest point in years and 26 against Kane after the Ryder/Cena disaster.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 24, 2013

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Paulocaust posted:

I like that in your weird alternate reality, BATISTA is covering someone elses in-ring weaknesses.

Batista works great as the scary guy who stands at ringside and acts as a complicating factor in a match. Anything that can be used as a substitute for a rest hold in an Orton match will improve that match.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Claytor posted:

Batista works great as the scary guy who stands at ringside and acts as a complicating factor in a match. Anything that can be used as a substitute for a rest hold in an Orton match will improve that match.

Ah, I thought you were saying he could do the bulk of the in-ring work to cover up for Orton. Carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I remember Rock blading heavily in the cage match where Triple H & Stone Cold formed the Two Man Power Trip on Raw. I was really smarky at that point, so I remember being annoyed that Rock was so stupid to gently caress up a blade job so heavily and nearly send himself to a hospital.